Chapter 5

Call it Thievery

 

Two steaming bowls of noodles sat in front of them. A thick black layer of sauce, meat, and vegetables oozed on top of the messily coiled wheat strands. Solar closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, letting the familiar aroma swirl up and drug her famished brain. Heaven. Truly the scent of heaven.

 

“What is this?”

 

And of course, there had to be hell sitting right across from her. 69 tapped the side of the bowl suspiciously, cringing at the clacking of the cheap plastic that encased the meal.

 

“Are you telling me you've never had black bean noodles?” She pointed her chopsticks at 69 in disbelief.

 

“I have...but it's been a while.”

 

“Since you've eaten such a plebeian meal?” she scoffed.

 

“Wow. You really seem to think I'm some sort of snotty rich brat, don't you?”

 

“I’m treating you to this meal, so can't you just take it without any of your snide comments? I still don't understand why you're following me, and it's annoying, so don't make it worse. Please.” She began to toss around her noodles with a repressed fury. 69, on the other hand, was picking hesitantly at her bowl. “Do you not like black bean noodles?”

 

“I do like it a lot! At least, I did. As I've told you,” she also began to mix her noodles, albeit with an awkward, rusty motion, “it's been a while. But it's not bad at all. Really.”

 

Solar grinned at the clumsiness with which 69 continued her meal. It was an amusingly vain attempt to stay prim and proper and clean. The girl squirmed in her seat at each unwanted splash of the sauce. After all, it would be a tragedy and a pain in the to get a stain on that perfectly creased, white blouse.

 

Solar really hoped it would spill.

 

“So what do you do?”

 

There was a smidge of black sauce on the corner of 69’s lips, clearly visible on the surprised face that looked up from the bowl at her question. Solar coughed to hide the laugh that bubbled up in .

 

“Since you seem to know about me already,” she added hastily. 69’s and Basick's connection was something that definitely required an explanation. Had the girl known that she was going to be there at the moment? Or had it just been a coincidence?”

 

“I'm a private detective.”

 

And there went her coincidence theory. She swallowed hard in a hopeless attempt to wet her drying mouth. Of all the things 69 could have been, she had to be a detective.

 

Her hand was on autopilot, reaching out to accept the sleek business card 69 had pulled from a pocket. She stuck the chopsticks haphazardly into what was now a much less appetizing bowl of food as she skimmed over the lettering on the card.

 

Moonbyul. At least she had 69’s name. She muttered it under her breath. Moonbyul. Moonbyul. Could it be a pseudonym? It sounded a bit strange of a name for a detective, but it certainly had a flair of its own. The syllables rolled comfortably around her tongue and there was already a sense of familiarity. Moonbyul.

 

Detective. It was ridiculous how uncomfortable that title made her feel. But it could just be due to the natural instinct of what she was at the moment. A criminal. The prey to the predator. What were the chances that the victim of her theft turned out to be the predator? And more importantly, what were the chances that the detective was already on to her?

 

Her eyes flickered up from the card for a brief second, but she found herself unable to confront the flashing row of pearly whites on Moonbyul's smug face. A thousand thoughts ran through her head as it dropped quickly back down to the card.

 

Moonbyul must be successful. Must be. After all, the wealth she possessed was an impossible amount if she were only of average repute and skill. That mansion of hers screamed money. Loads of it. How good could the girl be though? Good enough to afford that half million dollar painting. So maybe good enough to connect the obvious dots.

 

The girl would have deep connections as well. Probably cops, probably others. She even knew Basick, who was a great guy, but often kept to himself shyly outside of work. Could Basick have been a client? That may have been the reason Moonbyul had found her in the first place.

 

Solar racked her brains, thinking of the impressions other people had of her. Since Moonbyul was so adept at weaseling her way around, it would definitely be important to take precautions with her close friends. Keep Moonbyul away from them. Or in Kyungri's case, keep Kyungri away from Moonbyul.

 

She looked up and eyed Moonbyul shrewdly. The girl had resumed her meal and the sauce painted all around her lips became thicker and thicker.

 

Moonbyul noticed her stare and asked, “What?”

 

Solar lost control. The sight was just too difficult to take seriously. A high pitched squeal escaped as the self proclaimed detective frowned at her with sauce-covered lips.

 

“What is it?” repeated Moonbyul.

 

Solar wiped the tears of mirth from her eyes, not even hiding her continuing chuckles. With a clean napkin in her hand, she half stood and leaned over the table to carefully wipe the residue around Moonbyul's mouth.

 

She was so absorbed in the task, she didn't notice Moonbyul's held breath and eyes that looked down and away, escaping from her own dancing gaze.

 

“For a detective, Moonbyul, you're rather clumsy aren't you?” she giggled.

 

At those words, Moonbyul snapped her head back up to meet her eyes. Solar was a little taken aback at how serene those unblinking eyes were, and how tranquil she felt despite how long that gaze rested on her figure. In fact, she could have probably stared even longer, had Moonbyul not suddenly let out a pent up breath. The hot puff of air on her fingers startled her and her grip slackened, dropping the napkin.

 

Nearly dropping the napkin. Moonbyul's hand shot up and grabbed hers. Even without Moonbyul breathing heavily on the bare skin of her fingers, their clasped hands was a furnace that set all sorts of things into a burning hot mess within her.

 

Needless to say, she was just a tad bit upset when Moonbyul was the one to pull away first. While the girl turned her head to the side, letting her fringe cover her face, Solar sat back down with a plop. She reached out to her glass of water and took a large gulp of the iced drink.

 

“W-Well, that was awkward.”

 

“J-Just a bit, huh?” Solar’s mortified at the image she must have at the moment as she spat out the ice cubes in to respond. “G-Got to be careful when eating stuff like this.” Got to be careful? She wanted to pull at her hair and scream at her stupid mouth that couldn’t come up with a better sentence than that. Careful? Well, she was sure she was the one who needed to be careful with her blind, foolish, racing mouth and heart.

 

“Can’t say I didn’t enjoy it though.”

 

Oh god. “E-Enjoy what?”

 

“The noodles. Thanks for the meal, by the way,” chuckled Moonbyul, cheeks scrunched in delight. “I really need to start eating, these um, plebeian meals more often. Guess I’m missing out on a lot.”

 

“This is one of my favorite restaurants.” Distracted, she let a small, fond smile creep onto her face and she waved to one of the old lady workers, who waved amicably back.

 

“You come quite often?”

 

“Their food is amazing. And it’s such a cosy atmosphere.”

 

“With friends?”

 

“Most of the time. I haven’t really had a nice meal like this with another person since I broke up with my ex--” She choked, hard. How had she slipped up and led the conversation into this topic?

 

Apparently, she wasn't the only one surprised. She thought she spotted a brief flicker of surprise and annoyance in Moonbyul’s eyes when she spoke of her ex. But maybe it was just her wishful thinking, or the delusion of her poor, lonely heart. It wasn't like she was hoping Moonbyul would fill that void. Of course not. How preposterous.

 

“I see. So now...you’re not seeing anyone?”

 

“No. Why?”

 

“Just curious,” Moonbyul replied with a shrug. “Are you curious why?”

 

“N-No!”

 

“Then we’re good, right?”

 

“Good?”

 

“Let’s talk about the vase. We’re getting derailed here.” Moonbyul folded her hands on her table and eyed a flustered Solar. “So?”

 

The sudden change in conversation upsetted her. So did Moonbyul’s uncanny ability to steer the conversation away every time it got anywhere, keeping Solar on the tip of her toes. So Moonbyul didn’t care about her love life. Well, somehow, that upsetted her too.

 

Always the vase. It was getting into precarious territory. “What do you want to know about it?”

 

“Let’s say you were being honest that day. What’s your history with it?”

 

Solar bit her lips as her hands curled in her lap. “I told you, it was a family heirloom.” Where was Moonbyul trying to go with this?

 

“Come on, tell me more. About it, about you.”

 

“I...I lost my parents when I was young. They were flying back from a business trip.”

 

Wheein was right. “I’m sorry to hear that. Um, so, is that how you ended up with your grandmother?”

 

“She basically raised me until I had to move out for college. We lived alone together in her old house. That was where the vase from the auction was the first time I learnt of it.” There was a tremor in her voice as she reminisced about her memories with her grandmother. They were the better days of her life. The happiest period. “She was the one who told me about its history. About how it was something that had been passed down from generation to generation. It was the only thing I could track down.”

 

“Track down? After what?”

 

“She died during the time I was away at college. And that was when I heard about the debt she was in. They took everything after her death, including the vase. It was the only thing I ended up finding that mattered.”

 

Moonbyul’s brows furrowed as more of Solar’s story spilled out, crease deepening with each sentence tugging at her heartstrings. It wasn’t helping that Solar’s shaking eyeballs were so poignant with emotion as she narrated, making wave upon wave of guilt crash upon Moonbyul. She didn’t really have to take that vase that day. She really had been an .  

 

“She...my grandmother...s-she helped me change after my parent’s death. There was a period of time before I moved in with her where I was a little lost. And I wasn’t at my best. I was a mess.” She looked down at her lap, lump moving down . “But she helped me move on to become what I am now. I was hoping to get that vase for closure, as a memorial of sorts.”

 

Moonbyul was feeling more and more of a criminal now, rather than the one she had come to confront. Solar seemed to be telling the truth, from what her instincts told her, but that only made her feel worse. “If I had known, I wouldn’t have done it you know.”

 

“Done what?”

 

“Win the vase.”

 

“You did it on purpose? What?”

 

“It was just a playful gesture. How would I have known you’d stop at only $2000?” An idea flashed through her head. “It’s only $100 less than what I paid.” She smirked at the clear discomfort Solar showed at her words. “In fact, I would have probably given it to you. If I still had it of course. If my vase hadn’t been stolen.”

 

“You could probably afford it,” muttered Solar, albeit a little crossly. Her phone screen lit up and she unlocked it to see a barrage of texts from Kyungri. She groaned.

 

“Trouble? Boss? Partner?”

 

“Friend.” Her nose scrunched as she began scrolling through Kyungri’s texts.


 

K: Sooooooooo?

 

K: Who was that? Hm? The hot girl from the meeting? The one who knows Basick?

 

K: I’m waiting. I can wait all day. You know it.

 

K: Where’d you go? Is it a date? Omg have you finally found another person? Soooo proud of you bb girl.

 

K: It’s been a few hours. You still with that suit girl? Holy , did you guys get it on? Daammmmnnnnn.

 

K: Why won’t you share :( I’m dying to know.

 

K: I didn’t know she was your type. Or are you so lonely now that you’re randomly hooking up with people? Hell...

 

K: Is Ms Suit even gay?

 

K: Wait nvm I saw her nails earlier. You go girl ~

 

K: I can hook you up with a close friend if you really need someone. If suit girl falls out. Just an option.

 

K: Hey you’re still alive, right?

 

K: If I don't hear a response soon, I'ma call the cops.



 

S: I’m still here. Chill dafuq out.


 

“Is it that girl from the meeting?”

 

Solar looked up from her phone to stare at Moonbyul who had just pulled her own phone out. “Yeah….why?”

 

“She offered her number before I chased after you.” She snickered at the nervous bite of Solar’s lip whose eyes were also trained on the phone she mockingly juggled in her hand. “Looks like I got a few texts too--”

 

“Let me see that!” Solar lunged over the table in a frenzy, hands outstretched.

 

A boisterous laugh died on her lips as her playful attempt to wrench her arm back out of Solar’s reach ended up wrong. With Solar’s hands flailing with nowhere to go but down. Onto her chest. Where they stayed, for a little longer than necessary. When the few seconds they lingered felt like like an eternity.

 

“This...this is quite a compromising position,” chuckled Moonbyul nervously, her confident facade peeling away at Solar’s close proximity and probing hands.

 

“...”

 

“M-Maybe you should stand up to catch your balance.” Another flash of Solar’s phone screen startled Solar back into her own chair, and Moonbyul shakily breathed out, not realizing she was holding her breath in the first place. She was lucky that Solar’s attention was focused on her phone, not her own, steaming red face.

 

K: We’re going to talk. K? My apartment in half an hour. Don’t be late~

 

“My friend…”

 

“Yeah I should get going too.” Moonbyul stood up, looking considerably more ruffled in appearance than she had been at the start. “Work.”

 

“All right. Maybe we can do this again some other time?” Wait. Another time? Her heart rose in , hands trembling as she hastened to take back the sentence that had slipped unconsciously out .

 

But what happened next stole the words away. “Sure. I’d love to.” With an impatient smile and stiff bow, Moonbyul bolted out of the restaurant.  

 

Which left her bewildered and still struggling to calm her pounding heart. Moonbyul had agreed to another date. Was it even a date? She wanted it to be a date, even though it was supposed to just be a meeting between a detective and a suspect. In that case, it would probably be the furthest thing from a date.

 

Some of it, however, was inexplicable. There was an undeniable chemistry between them. But whether that chemistry was of the sort she was hoping it was, not just some tactic Moonbyul could be using to find out her involvement in the theft, she did not know.

 

Her phone buzzed, interrupting her thoughts.

 

K: I’ll come after you if you don’t answer. With that app I downloaded on your phone.

 

S: Half an hour.

 

K: Good. Pick up some drinks and snacks too, k? It’ll be a looonnnnggg talk. ;)

 

S: You're hella needy. But I got it. See you later.


K: Love you too <3