Chapter 10

Call it Thievery

The bustle of the main market was considerably more subdued up close, once Solar followed Hwasa down the winding stone path into the crooked streets. The low hum of muffled voices and hushed conversations accompanied shifty eyes that raked across the two girls, eyeing the weapons strapped to their sides. Many of the merchants too held blades of formidable appearances on their laps or right next to them. Many others had a guard or two of terrifying stature standing stock still next to them, only letting loose an animalistic growl or two when a consumer would come too close to the merchandise. To ‘deter’ thieves, according to Hwasa.

 

It was rather appalling to Solar, though, the vagueness with which the wares were explained and displayed. Nearly everything sold below the drapes of tan cloth were unlabeled, unpriced, and unpredictably normal looking.

 

“People who come here know exactly what they want. Discretion is key,” muttered Hwasa, tugging Solar a little closer away from a particularly colorful spread of jewelry. “You don’t want to be that idiot who picks up some random brooch because its beauty catches your eye, and then get mugged in the middle of the forest because it’s the long lost treasure of one of the native clans.”

 

At that, Solar blinked nervously, hands hastily back, stiff at her sides. Hwasa gave a low chuckle and continued forward, winding between the clumps of people. Solar jumped after her, bending and turning to avoid any sort of accidental contact with the mysteriously clothed individuals browsing the wares.

 

 

Occasionally, Hwasa would subtly point out a particularly popular item or two.

 

“See that dagger there? That’s invaluable--the mineral it’s made from has inherently poisonous qualities. Top notch assassin gear, though unbelievably pricey.”

 

“That cloak’s made from beasts on the other side of the ravine. Deadliest place you can ever go to, but selling one of those cloak’s can set you comfortably for a few years.”

 

“Those potions on his cart are fatally potent beyond belief, disguised as--goddamn Solar hold your breath and come back!”

 

They passed by carts full of food—Hwasa was hasty to pull a salivating Solar away immediately. The man slouched behind the cart gave a sly grin as he tossed up and down one of the shiniest, reddest, juiciest apples Solar had ever seen in her life.

 

“Anything edible you should never buy from the main market. Not unless you’re well versed in the endless lists of side-effects and mixed potencies.”

 

Hwasa eyed the streets, counting the number of buildings they had passed in a low mumble. She slapped her hands together, exhaling slowly and laid a palm on the ruined brick wall of a rundown shack, peeking around the corner. Blocking the alleyway was a stout, muscular man with a sledgehammer by his side, arms crossed intimidatingly as he squinted down at the two girls. Hwasa motioned Solar to back up a few steps before turning back around to face the man. Solar leaned against the wall as she waited for Hwasa to finish the hushed conversation and busied herself with watching the main street.

 

One thing that had caught her attention since the beginning was that there were a lot more children than she had originally anticipated. Scruffy kids in faded tunics roamed the street, some following merchants while balancing heavy wooden crates. Others led masked travelers to certain vendors, eagerly accepting a few coins of payment before scampering away. Still others, older ones to be fair, stalked down the streets with wrapped packages either within their arms or tied to their backs, teeth bared below narrowed eyes, one hand always on the hilt of a short sword.

 

If Hwasa had not told her earlier, in a very strict tone, to restrain herself and ignore whatever may happen, she would have likely dashed out to help. Futilely. She had to bite down hard on her lower lip to hold her trembling arms in place as she watched a particularly crude bodyguard use the blunt end of his weapon to force forward a young girl who was staggering under the weight of a sack stuffed full of unsold swords. The merchant in front of her threw up his hands in exasperation and tapped his foot impatiently as the girl struggled to inch forward.

 

“The you looking at?” Solar flinched at the question thrown, gaze sliding from the girl to the merchant she likely worked for. “Don’t you know to mind your own damn business?” She kept mum as he snarled again and lowered her gaze. Not before she made the briefest eye contact with the glistening yet defiant eyes of the young girl. “Che. People who don’t belong shouldn’t interfere.” The merchant spat on the dusty floor and he curled his fingers into a fist. “This little brat, trying to waste my time. You better know what will happen if you prove to be useless, don’t you, Yeri? Guard, now hurry the up.”

 

Solar’s knuckles whitened as they tightly clutched the hem of her shirt. From the corner of her eye, she followed the merchant’s departure, disappointment in herself and in the city a thick lump in .

 

 

 

When Hwasa tapped her to follow, exchange with the guard finally done, she tore herself off the wall and shuffled after Hwasa, trying to avoid the scrutinizing small eyes of the guard who was turned sideways to allow them to pass.

 

“We’re headed towards the entertainment district now,” explained Hwasa as they skimmed around dusty corners and down stone steps. “Wasn’t safe to use the main entrance.”

 

Solar was about to question why, but Hwasa’s grim visage forbade it. She was beginning to realize that whatever happened in the Market would be something she would forever fail to understand. It wasn’t like the overbearing, omnipresent tense atmosphere within the Market made it any easier to raise her head to stare straight at the corruption within.

 

However, she was quite intrigued to learn what exactly Hwasa’s relation with the Market was, to know so many of its secrets.

 

Hwasa tapped a few fingers against her thigh, once again counting numbers under her breath as she stared at the plain, dusty walls before her. Nodding mindlessly to herself, she turned away from one alleyway in favor of another with thick black drapes hung from thin clothes wires. Solar followed as Hwasa began edging forward, brushing said drapes to the side and holding her breath to avoid the clouds of dust that billowed beneath.

 

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the two of them emerged onto a cobbled street. Solar was hacking out the last remnants of dust in her lungs and rubbing when Hwasa pulled her to her feet and whispered in her ear, “Well, isn’t this a coincidence.

 

With her free hand, Solar brushed her long strands of hair back away from her face to see what exactly Hwasa was going on about.

 

And of all the things she expected to see, she had not expected Eric, of all people to be walking towards them with as gentleman a smile as ever.

 

“Hello, ladies!” Eric grinned as he stopped in front of the two of them. “Fancy seeing you around here. What are you two up to?”

 

Hwasa rolled her eyes when Solar flashed her a desperate glance and turned to answer Eric. “We were going to check out some of the taverns. What about you?” She smirked and glanced down the street on the right, where several scantily dressed women were smoking by the entrance of a brothel. “Were you looking for some sweet company tonight?”

 

“N-No!” blustered Eric, arms waving frantically in front of him as Solar broke eye contact and stared at the ground. “My job guarding was done, so I was headed down here for some fun. Not that kind of fun!” He clicked his tongue when Hwasa let loose another meaningful snicker.

 

“It doesn’t really matter. If you’re looking for that kind of…um…fun,” muttered Solar. After all, it had nothing to do with her. Frankly, she had higher expectations of him, but everyone had needs, didn’t they?

 

Hwasa swung her arm around Solar’s shoulder, grinning in agreement. “I’m sure Solar doesn’t really care. After all, she probably has had her own share of fun. You know.” Hwasa raised an eyebrow suggestively at Solar, who blushed beet red and tried to shove her away.

 

Eric’s mouth dropped open as he pointed with shaking fingers. “Y-You two—“

 

“Oh not me,” dismissed Hwasa. “Solar’s not my type. And I doubt I’m her type either. She likes them taller.” Hwasa ignored Solar’s sudden jab in her sides and continued, “Think she likes them skinnier? Maybe even with silver hair—mmph!”

 

Solar huffed as she clasped both hands over Hwasa’s offending mouth, glaring at the eyes dancing in amusement. Hwasa shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly and crossed her arms as her eyes motioned towards Eric, who was still standing next to them.

 

“S-So, you have someone already?” Eric asked, a little forlornly as he played with the cuffs of his sleeves.

 

“I d-do. I’m sorry,” answered Solar with a blush. Surely Moonbyul wouldn’t mind her saying that. Surely. “I l-love----I mean I like her a lot. She just has something about her that just nags at me whenever I think of her, which is like really often, but the point is, I always feel as if I’m on the tip of figuring her out, because there’s something mysterious about her. And that she just always looks at me with eyes that make me feel so at ease, so understood. And I guess it helps that she’s really hot, has warm hands, has a y voice--”

 

Hwasa interrupted with a cough, “We get it, we get it. You’re in deep.”

 

Eric let out a low sigh before a subdued smile crossed his face. “I guess I should have expected it, eh? All the nice people always already have someone.” He ruffled his hair as he pondered. “I wanted to treat you guys to a meal. I still do, in fact. But I understand if you guys will feel a little awkward because of,” he gestured randomly around him, “well this. But I think Hwasa would understand. In this place, it’s always nice to talk to people who aren’t complete s.”

 

Solar glanced at Hwasa who rubbed her chin in thought. Eric did seem awfully sincere about his offer and now that this matter between them was cleared, there was no reason to turn down his good will. However, their time was limited, and if Hwasa already had a plan on where to go looking for information, it would be wiser to pursue that lead instead.

 

“Where were you planning to go?” asked Hwasa, finally. “Solar and I are tight on time and we’re still looking for information about something.”

 

“I might be able to help with that. I’ve been working around these parts quite often so I’ve made quite a few acquaintances.” Eric tapped the symbol sewn onto his shoulder with a modest smile. “Our mercenary group is decently known around here, and don’t have as bad a rep as some others. I might be able to answer some questions myself! And as for dining location, you probably know, Hwasa. If you’re looking for information, there’s really no other better tavern around. So what do you say?”

 

Hwasa looked for a glance of confirmation from Solar before answering, “Lead the way.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Solar stared at the still bubbling drink in front of her, mouth agape in wonder. How could it be so tempting, so beautifully enticing in its amber wonder, so distracting in the sweet scent that rose from the escaping bubbles--

 

Slap. Solar’s hand immediately rose to her throbbing cheek, pouting with disbelief in her eyes at Hwasa who was shaking a hand lazily while her other hand slid the mug away from Solar.

 

“It’s the fumes. There’s always a little something extra in the drink to make you feel like everything isn’t around here. Best to stay sober for whatever might happen,” warned Hwasa with an approving nod from Eric.

 

However, contrary to his actions, the guard grabbed the mug and tossed it back, smacking his lips and swiping the extra froth from around his mouth. Hwasa groaned and rolled her eyes, snatching the rest of the mug from his lax fingers and pushed it to the other side of the table.

 

“Why don’t you start telling us something.” Hwasa drummed her fingers against the table impatiently as Eric rolled his shoulders back trying to gather his thoughts. She ran her gaze through the boisterous room as she waited, trying to pick out potential people to pry information from later. Solar just folded her arms before her emptied plate, eyes flickering between the other two people at her table.

 

“Sure. Anything in particular?”

 

“Have you traveled recently?”

 

“I’ve been with that caravan for a while now. We went through a couple countries, for sure. Met up with several other caravans as well on our travels.”

 

“Then, had you heard anything of the theft when you met us?” Hwasa leaned in meaningfully, mouth barely open to whisper, “Of King Heechul’s royal treasury.”

 

“Rumor travels blazing fast.” Eric scoffed as he played with the knife on his plate, etching random figures into the table. “Of course I’d heard. Of how the young king had been made a laughingstock when the thieves snuck in and out without a single alarm raised.”

 

“He’s not that bad,” interjected Solar with a frown, wanting to back up the quirky but kind king who had been fair with Moonbyul and her.

 

“Really depends on the definition of bad, now, doesn’t it? More often than not, the real measure of a king isn’t by kindness.” Eric sighed he stabbed his knife into the table, where it lay quivering. “I have no doubt he’s good to his people. But it can’t last. Something will break. And it’ll either be him, or his rule.”

 

“But--”

 

Hwasa patted Solar’s arm to shush her. “The issue isn’t the king right now. It’s about the theft. So, Eric, have you heard anything about it? Like who was behind it? Rival country? Independent organization? Maybe even internal conflict?”

 

“Though I disapprove of how passive your king is, one thing I can acknowledge is how relatively peaceful his reign is. If it was anything political, I’m sure someone somewhere would have mentioned it. Or they wouldn’t have kept it this under wraps. The whole point of a political offense is to ensure that they’ll know who did it, or have an idea, but have no evidence to tie it to them.” Eric frowned absentmindedly as he stared off into space.

 

“So it must have been for more personal reasons,” mused Hwasa.

 

“Quite an elaborate scheme for a small group, though, wouldn’t you say?” retorted Eric, disagreement laced through his voice.

 

Solar hesitantly raised her hand, drawing both of their attentions. “What if it had been multiple small groups working together? Like an alliance of sorts?”

 

Hwasa nodded thoughtfully, fingers playing with the straps of her sword that was laying on the bench next to her. “I suppose that wouldn’t be too far-fetched.”

 

Eric scoffed and shook his head. “People don’t work well together. Much less criminals when they’re forced to share valuable loot. I told you before, right?” A flash of understanding flitted between him and Hwasa. “Trust is hard to come by around here. That’s why you can’t squander it when someone reliable comes around.”

 

“But say, just say,” started Hwasa, brows furrowed in concentration. “What if it did happen that way though? The royal heirlooms do have contested histories of ownership after all. After all those years of warring, treaties, and trades, no one can really be sure of the rightful owners.”

 

“So you’re saying whoever stole those were stealing them back for themselves? That’s a little bit of a reach, isn’t it,” answered Eric, not at all convinced by what they were saying. “And even if there was a single ounce of possibility there, you guys would have no where to start. You must have learnt of the great fire ages ago that destroyed so much of the historical archives, haven’t you? Then you should know that there’s little to no way to track down that branched royal lineage beyond a few centuries.”

 

Hwasa blew the hair out of her face in exasperation and took another glance around the room. “Then do you know anyone who would deal in stuff like this?”

 

“Even high-end traders would keep their hands free from this one at this moment. The items are too hot--they’d come cracking down on us immediately.”

 

“So that means we have nothing to go on?” questioned Solar. She had not expected their excursion to be so unfruitful, though Eric was providing an ample amount of assistance filling in her knowledge of this world.

 

“Well....” Eric bit his lip as he stared down at his palms.

 

“Well what?” shot Hwasa, barely able to contain the annoyance in her tone. “If you have something, might as well spit it out.”

 

He exhaled, clenching and unclenching his fingers before he spoke with reluctance. “Do you remember that town we passed before we exited the forest? The one where we told you to stay inside and where everyone wore cloth completely covering their bodies?”

 

“They’re the ones all travelers to the Market are warned to not antagonize. But they’re also said to be an exclusive community with little regard for anything outside their town,” answered Hwasa to clear Solar’s clueless face. “What do they have to do with this?”

 

“I’ve heard rumors that they’re extremely skilled in all sorts of weaponry, and that this skill is why we’re always warned to stay peaceful in their vicinity. They’re also supposed to occasionally sell weapons of the highest quality. Aren’t you a blacksmith, Hwasa? How haven’t you heard of this?”

 

“I’ve heard that they sell weapons occasionally. But what does that have to do with finding--oh.” Hwasa’s eyes opened wide and Solar could almost hear the cogs turning in her head right before the girl clapped her hands together.

 

“Yep. You blacksmiths also have a little network of your own. A sword such as the one in the legends,” Eric whistled through his teeth appreciatively, “is something a top class blacksmith or an able connoisseur of weapons would have definitely heard of, if it is truly out there.”

 

“We finally have a lead then!” Solar rubbed her hands together excitedly, mood only dampened when both Eric and Hwasa retained their grim smiles. “What’s wrong? Isn’t this a good thing?”

 

“There’s a reason why that town keeps to itself. I don’t even know if we’ll be able to approach them about the matter or if they’ll respond,” replied Hwasa, frustration flaming up. “They barely talk to outsiders.”

 

“Let’s not forget about the stories of stupid outsiders who tried to sneak into the town and were never heard from again,” added Eric.

 

“You’re not helping.”

 

“Sorry.” He shrugged sheepishly and leaned over the table to take back the drink that Hwasa had confiscated from him at the beginning of their conversation.

 

Hwasa just scoffed and slapped him bluntly on his back as he let loose a stream of curses and hiccups from the now flat drink. “Solar, I’m going to follow up on what he said about the town and ask around in the tavern to see if anyone else has anything solid.”

 

“Do you want me to help?”

 

“I think for these conversations, it’d be best if I went about it alone. No offense, but you kind of have that face people want to take advantage of.” Hwasa gave her a well-natured pat on the head when Solar slumped in her seat, dejected at being useless. “You can wander around the tavern and check things out. Just don’t stray too far out of my sight, ok? And don’t listen to people who want to make shady deals with you!” warned the younger girl, before she pushed her wooden chair back and stood, arms stretched before her. Then, she maneuvered deftly around the table, making a beeline towards a group of hooded cloaks.

 

Solar tugged her gaze back towards Eric, only to erupt into a burst of giggles when said guy had his face planted solidly into the wooden table, heavy breaths echoing every few seconds to signal his slumber. She gingerly picked up the mug by its handle, dragging it away from his unfeeling grip and set it to the side. She amused herself for a few minutes, watching Eric snore into the crude table, arms dropped limply to his sides. All in all, Eric wasn’t that bad of a guy. To even help them come up with a lead for the vase--it was almost as if fate had brought him to guide them.

 

After a while, though, her foot began to jitter with impatience and boredom and she scanned the room, looking for something to do. Other than a few games of darts and the small bard strumming his lute by the fireplace, there was just the occasional hushed conversation held with a handful of coins and merchandise pushed beneath cloth either way.

 

Solar made her way to the counter, where a young lad stood behind, wiping drinking glasses to an impeccable shine. He leapt in fright as she approached, fumbling with the rag before he caught his breath and stood politely straight once more.

 

He cleared his throat and apologized, “Sorry, the ma’am will be back in a few moments if you should like a drink.”

 

Solar waved her hands in denial. “No, no, I wasn’t looking for a drink. I just wanted to know if you had any idea of something to do around here.

 

“Around the Market?” Confusion painted his face.

 

“No, just, in here.” Solar began to feel sorry for asking as he too peered around the room, at a pair of drunkards squabbling in the corner and at the slosh of liquid from a shaky hand of a man sitting on the other end of the counter.

 

“Sorry, miss. There’s really not much around here. Unless...” His gaze was drawn towards a doorway near them, covered with maroon drapes, beyond which no light could be seen. “Do you have any interest in fortunetelling, miss?”

 

“Fortunetelling as in zodiac signs?”

 

“Zo--Zodi what, miss?” The young lad scratched his head bemusedly and looked once again towards the doorway. “The lady in there is temperamental and no one knows how she decides who to work with. Truth be told, most of us think she’s bat crazy,” he whispered, eyes darting round. “However, it could be a good way to pass your time if you’re so inclined, miss.” The thunk of heavy boots down wooden stairs startled him back to his position and he gave her a brief nod before resuming his cleaning.

 

Solar slid off the barstool as the owner swept back in, hands reaching down below to grab a few empty mugs to refill by the barrel. She stepped close to the drapes, fingers reaching forward to grasp the edges of the cloth. Hwasa had told her to find something to do. Surely she wasn’t doing anything wrong. She glanced over her shoulder and found Hwasa still in deep conversation with another group of strangers.

 

It won’t hurt. Solar released her pent up worries and brushed the first drape to the side. Then the next, and the next, and the next, and soon the heavy flaps of cloth swinging back into place muffled any sound from the tavern. Ahead of her, murky yellow candlelight grew brighter and brighter with each layer of cloth she pushed through.

 

When she pushed the last obstructing piece of cloth to the side, she found herself stepping into a dry, homely space. Ripples of heat, warm, but not oppressive, strummed throughout the room, but Solar could not see a source of heat not light except for the single, unwavering candle placed on the edge of the table. A dark, purple cloth was spread across this very table, edges hanging off with intricate tassels decorating a well-sewn edge. To her surprise, no other item adorned the top of the table, however, the shelves to the sides were near stocked to the ceilings with the most mysterious of items.

 

And behind the table, with her back turned to Solar, was a rather young looking woman, black hair brushed over a shoulder as she hummed under her breath, hands brushing along the shelves as she sorted through her items, occasionally picking one up to eye more closely.

 

Solar was about to cough to make her presence known when the woman said smoothly, back still turned, “You can sit down. I’ll be with you in a bit.”

 

Solar hastily plopped down to sit, cross-legged, on the cushion set on one side of the table and watched as the lady delicately lifted a teapot and two cups from one of the shelves. The lady then turned and knelt down to position herself for the table’s height, cups clattering softly against the cloth before she sprinkled a few dark leaves into the pot. She then took the teapot, passed it gently through the flame, and then poured a stream of hissing water into the cups before her.

 

Solar nodded her thanks as she gingerly grasped one of the cups. Much to her amazement, though, the cup did not burn her hand as expected, and when she took a sip, it was at the perfect temperature too, flavor seeped through despite the ridiculously short brewing time.

 

“I was expecting another one, you know.” The lady said softly over the rising steam of her teacup.

 

“My friend is out there talking to--”

 

“Not that one. The other one.”

 

Solar’s mouth opened, but it was as if shock had sewn her vocal cords shut. She wasn’t one to place too much faith in the world of clairvoyance, but the lady before her had an uncanny ability to unsettle whatever calm she had mustered.

 

“I can tell you’re quite surprised,” chuckled the lady as she placed her cup back onto the table. “Still wondering about the weight of my words?”

 

Solar wrapped her fingers more tightly around her own cup and spoke hesitantly with her next words, trying to sound nonchalant. “The people out there say you’re rather...free with what you say?”

 

“That’s one way to put it.” She winked. “Bat crazy is the other.”

 

“A-Are you, then?” Alarm at how straightforward her words were sent a flush of embarrassment through her face and she lowered her head, taking a few more hasty sips.

 

“I’m as sane as anyone else around these parts. And that, well, you can interpret on your own. In fact, everything I say, you should really interpret on your own. Because in the end, the same things said to different people can have the vastest difference in meaning.” She inclined her head elegantly and plucked the dried stems of a flower from one of the shelves, bringing it to the candle where it burst into flame, releasing a hazy cloud of sweet smoke.

 

“Is that incense? Is it part of it?” Solar coughed as she waved one hand wildly in front of her, trying to rid the smokescreen between them.

 

“Part of what, my dear?”

 

“Part of your fortunetelling?”

 

“Oh, this?” A twinkling laugh rang amidst the fading mist and the lady propped her elbows on the table with amusement dancing across her facial features. “You all have quite a rigid view on what fortunetelling entails. Don’t tell me you were expecting me to read your tea leaves next? Or maybe whip out my tarot cards and crystal ball?”

 

“You’re not going to?” Solar finished her cup of tea and placed it back onto the table, where the last bitter dregs of the tea swirled around the loosened leaves. “Then what do you do?”

 

“I just talk. Maybe that’s why people think I’m bat crazy,” mused the lady, one hand her chin. “I do enjoy talking a lot.”

 

“So you can’t fortune-tell? I mean, you aren’t a fortuneteller?”

 

“I didn’t say that, did I? As I’ve said, there are different ways to look at everything. Part of it all is piecing together things you don’t expect to connect. For example,” The lady reached behind her once again and rummaged through one of the crates. With a soft ‘aha’, she swept something into her palm and lay both the item and her palm face down onto the tablecloth. “You and your lover, from such different statuses in life.”

 

“W-We aren’t--” Solar’s face flushed red as the lady smiled knowingly at her and her fingers danced beneath the table, fiddling with the tassels. “W-We’re just close.”

 

“There’s no need to lie to me. I can see the fondness nearly blazing from your eyes the moment you think of her. Feels like it’s always been there, hasn’t it? Like nothing you’ve ever felt for another.”

 

“It’s one-sided.” Solar’s head drooped as she muttered the words. “I know she said something, but for all I know she was just saying stuff for the convenience of the moment. I never got to tell her anything either.”

 

“Oh, I think not. You put too little faith in your charms.” The lady removed her hand to reveal a faded silver coin, surface of which lay an engraved crescent moon. With a well practiced, restrained slap on the table, the coin flew into the air, landing back down with barely a wobble on its other surface. A fiery sun in all its glory. “Things you never expect to click together. The sun and the moon. Yet another example, isn’t it, Solar?

 

“My name…” Her hand jerked up to cover the gasp she unconsciously released.

 

“Quite beautiful, what you two have. Or what you can have. Only time will tell, perhaps? I daresay this little quest of yours will be instrumental in finding out what you two mean to each other. After all, it’s not the first--” The yellow flame suddenly flickered in the windless room, dousing them in absolute darkness, before rousing back to life with a steady burn. The lady ran her thumb over the worn silver with an indecipherable smile. “I seem to have gone a little far.”

 

“Moonbyul...to me…”

 

“Every ship needs an anchor, doesn’t it?”

 

Solar crossed her arms and grumbled, “Won’t you ever stop talking in riddles?”

 

“Where’s the fun in that?” The lady giggled, “Would you just rather me tell you that yes, you and Moonbyul are going to get swept up in a torrent of mad love, have two beautiful children, travel the world and then grow old in a cottage near the edge of the woods while your names go down in the annals of history? If you wanted something like that, it would have been more prudent confiding in the so called ‘fortune-tellers’ at lesser establishments.”

 

“I was just hoping I could learn something concrete about our journey.” She heaved a sigh of discontent. “For all we know, we could be flailing around blind. And if we never find that vase--ugh!” She threw up her hands.

 

“One step at a time, my dear. One step till you find what leads you to the next. Don’t try to jump the river in one try. Things do happen for a reason. A little help goes a long way. Remember that.”

 

“Riddles again?”

 

“Mere guidance of a sort.” The lady yawned. “I’m feeling a bit weary. Let us stop our talk for now, shall we?”

 

Solar placed her hands on her knees, pushing herself to her feet as she brushed off the slightest dust from her pants. Her gaze returned to the table, where everything had magically disappeared, except for the lone candle and her own teacup.

 

“Before you leave, would you take that last sip of tea?” The lady gestured with a pale, slender hand towards the cup. With some confusion as to why she was requesting this, Solar nonetheless took the cup in hand once more, grimacing just a bit as the now chilled liquid slid down with bitter clarity. Rolling her tongue around to try and erase the uninviting taste, she placed the cup down and once more, turned to leave.

 

She was at the first drape leading back to the tavern when the lady’s voice flowed around her once more, a hint of warning in her tone.

 

“Sometimes, what you think you’ve always believed in is a lie. And sometimes, the lie has nestled in further than you can have imagined.”

 

Solar only gave a curt nod, shelving the lady’s cryptic words in the back of her mind as she dug through the layers of cloth back to the liveliness of the tavern and to Hwasa, who would likely be freaking out as to where she had been. She wondered how she would even begin to describe what had happened to Hwasa. Maybe the girl would even storm into the lady’s room and demand answers. She shivered at the thought, painfully imagining what a furious Hwasa would look like in interrogation. Perhaps the better idea would be to keep this meeting to herself.

 

 

 

 

~~~

 

Back in the room, the lady reached out for Solar’s cup, sliding it across the table towards herself, careful not to disturb its contents.

 

The flame glowed brighter for a moment, just enough to illuminate the inside of the painted ceramic. Her eyes skimmed over the seemingly disordered clumping of drying tea leaves and she clicked her tongue in amusement.

 

Amusing, it truly was. It seemed that she was being played with as well.

 

What was supposed to be a farce--


She could only laugh in acknowledgement at the dark green, leafy crescent and blade staring back at her.

 


*​A/N Not really satisfied with this chapter tbh even though I procrastinated way too long on it. Writer's block a b!tch. I may edit this in the future.

​Sorry about the lack of moonsun. I'll try to get more into how Moonbyul feels about her next chapter, but I've slid in a few hints about their history. Till next chapter then! Thanks for reading.