Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

[Minhyuk's POV] 

It was one of those stupid fights again. I can't even remember why we were fighting. All I know is that I was asked to sleep on the couch. I must have done something really bad. 


 

I stretched, yawned and stared at the ceiling for a bit. She entered the living room then turned the TV off with a huff. I forgot to turn it off. "Sorry baby," I mumbled but she didn't respond. I sat up and watched her look in her handbag then put on her shoes. "Where are you going?" I asked. She ignored me. It must have been a very serious fight. She rarely gives me the cold shoulder unless something really bad happened. I hurriedly put my shoes on then followed her out of the apartment. 

I didn't want to annoy her so I kept my distance from her. I felt for my phone in my pocket but it wasn't there; luckily my keys were. My hair was a mess so I brushed it with my fingers. She walked in our favorite coffee shop and ordered her usual mocha frappe. She still didn't speak to me when I sat down across from her. She barely even looked at me. What have I done? I pouted and watched her take a sip from her drink and look through her phone. Suddenly, she started crying.

"Baby, baby what's the matter?" I panicked. She covered her face with both hands and sobbed quietly. A waiter came over and handed her some tissues. I stood up, "I can handle this, thank you." I growled. The waiter blinked and walked off without another word. "I'm sorry, thank you." She called out after the waiter and composed herself. I felt so helpless. She stood up and left the coffee shop. I followed her but instead of walking back to our apartment, she went the other way. She obviously doesn’t want to be with me right now. 

I went back home and looked for my phone. I couldn’t find it anywhere. Then I felt like going for a drive but I couldn’t find the car nor car keys. Today was a weird day. I sat on the couch and watched TV. I fell asleep again and when I woke up, the TV was turned off. I tiptoed in the bedroom and she was there trembling on the bed. “Baby?” I whispered. “Minhyuk...” She was crying in her sleep. I ran to her side and her hair. “I’m here...” I kissed her forehead. “Minhyuk please!” she almost screamed. “Shhh.. its just a bad dream..” I told her softly. I hugged her and rocked her until she calmed down. 

Once she got settled, I walked towards the window and hit the dreamcatcher against the glass window that was hanging there. “Why don’t you do your job?” I scoffed. Then she woke and looked straight at me. “Are you okay?” I asked. She sniffed, got out of bed and took the dreamcatcher down. “I’ll buy you another one.” I smiled. She sighed and went back to bed. I slept next to her that night and she didn’t tell me to move to the couch. When I woke up the next day, she was already gone. I found my phone on the kitchen counter however it was completely smashed and broken. How did I manage this? I sighed.

She came back that afternoon. I stood by the front door to surprise her with a cuddle. But I was shocked when she came into view. Dressed in all black, she has clearly just been to a funeral. Her eyes were red and sore. “Oh baby, who died?” I asked softly. She sniffed. She was carrying a picture frame. It was obviously someone we knew. My heart thumped. She sat down on the couch and sobbed, her shoulders shook. She turned the picture frame and I looked.

It was a picture of me. 

 

[Your POV]

“Oh not again...” I sighed loudly as I heard the TV from the living room. He’s clearly trying to scare me. I grabbed my handbag and headed to the living room and turned the TV off with a huff. I looked in my handbag to check if my keys were there and then I put my shoes on. I need my mocha frappe before I go to the police station. As I sat in our favorite coffee shop, drinking my usual drink, I couldn’t help but feel so alone. He was always here with me. I looked through my phone and read his last messages to me. 

I love you baby, can’t wait to see you.”

You didn’t have a bad dream last night, the dreamcatcher is working right?^^”

I miss you, please cook something for me. keke~

I love you so much. Don’t know what i’ll do without you!” 

And the final one. “I don’t want to fight anymore. I’m sorry. love you.”

That’s when I started crying.  A waiter came over and handed me some tissues. I looked up at him but then he froze, blinked then walked away. That was weird. I called out after him and composed myself. I left the coffee shop and headed to the police station. There they returned to me Minhyuk’s smashed up phone. It broke my heart even more. I wished that I would have still be able to use it. But it’s completely broken. The police officer asked if I wanted to see the car but I refused. I don’t I’ll be able to handle it. 

So I returned home and again, the TV was on. “Oh stop this please.” I shook my head then turned it off. I placed his broken phone on the kitchen counter and headed to bed without bothering to eat anything. That night, I was restless and the bad dreams were continuous. I felt very cold. In my dream, I was running and crying and I couldn’t stop. Suddenly I felt warm. Its like someone had their arms wrapped around me, calming me down. I thought first that it was Minhyuk because he used to do that every time I had a nightmare. But of course it couldn’t have been him. 

Then I heard the dreamcatcher hit the glass window slightly. I jumped up and looked. No one was there. I sniffed, got out of bed and took the dreamcatcher down. Somehow afterwards, I slept a dreamless sleep. 

The day after was his funeral. It was horrendous. Halfway through I thought I was going to pass out. I felt so weak, so upset, so heartbroken. “Baby I miss you. Return to me.” I cried. His friends came over to me and offered their condolences. “He loved you very much..” One said. I nodded as a response. “Don’t blame yourself dear, it wasn’t your fault.” His mother told me kindly. “It was my fault.” I mumbled. “We were arguing that night... I told him to sleep on the couch... He got annoyed, went for a drive...” 

“And that drunk truck driver hit his car. It wasn’t your fault!” She hugged me. But of course I will always blame myself. I returned to our empty apartment, carrying his picture. I sat on the couch, cried some more until I felt like there were no more tears to cry. I went to the bedroom and put the dreamcatcher up again. “I’ll see you in my dreams Minhyuk...” I whispered.