This little thing people call love

Brave
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan was in a very deep state of confusion. He could swear on his favorite blanket that he was a very daring guy. How come Jongdae dared to say otherwise! There’s nothing wrong with being a self-proclaimed coffee addict.

So what if he doesn’t like to try any other drinks? Coffee is perfect as it is, and it’s also perfect for daring guys. Use a good amount of freshly ground coffee beans and brew them into a strong concentrate and you get an espresso, add a bit of milk to the espresso and you get a macchiato, or use ice, coffee and milk and you get iced coffee! Coffee can be served in a myriad of ways and still Jongdae insists it’s a safe drink for a boring guy.

Boring?

Luhan is not boring. He never was! Right? Right?!

His dilemma was not getting solved at all with Sara Bareilles chanting Just wanna see you be brave through his earphones. Luhan is plenty brave. Right?!

He was wearing a Guns N’ Roses t-shirt even though he’s never listened to them. What if someone approached him to talk about Guns N’ Roses? He definitely was exposed.

And what about that time he scared away those bullies bothering Tao!

It doesn’t even matter that they left laughing. That surely was because they were scared and didn’t want to appear so. Yes, that was it, he thought.

Somehow, his argument with himself and his immense lack of attention towards his surroundings, like usual, didn’t make him end up run over as he was crossing a street during a green light. Maybe if Luhan had seen that he’d have another experience to tell to prove he’s brave or maybe he’d piss his pants, but now we can’t possibly now since he didn’t even raise his head. Jongdae would bet on the second one, though.

Anyhow, those 20 minutes of ideas, but mostly complaints, running through his head—though Luhan would swear on his blanket again that they were really like 2 hours—lead him to the front of a bubble tea shop he didn’t recall seeing before. That might be explained by the fact that Luhan had never gone into the particular area he went missing on, though he wouldn’t admit it either because daring guys explore and he was daring. Yes! He definitely was. Maybe.

So, with that thought in mind, Luhan stepped into the bubble tea shop with the hopes that they sold coffee.

No, Luhan, no. We like trying new things besides coffee! We’ll try bubble tea. It’s sweet, maybe too sweet. Maybe even diabetes-causing sweet!

Luhan quickly shook his head to get rid of his doubts.

One time can’t be bad, alright? Let’s just try it and if we don’t like it we don’t need to drink it again. Ok?

Before he knew it, he was standing in front of the counter and a silver-haired guy was looking at him expectantly. A very good looking silver-haired guy. Luhan blushed a pale shade of pink while being at a loss for words.

“Yes?” Luhan blurted out the first word that went through his head. Though in his thoughts it was more of a yes!, so he was grateful his tone didn’t give him away.

“Well, hi,” the guy said with the hint of a smile on his lips.

“How can I help you?” answered Luhan, still too dumbfounded to say something proper.

The employee tilted his head with surprise in his expression and a hint of amusement in his eyes.

“Perhaps you can help me by telling me what you’d like to order,” the boy answered, chuckling slightly under his breath.

“Order what?” asked Luhan too seriously.

The guy showed surprise again at Luhan’s response and resolved to chuckle a bit louder, something Luhan caught. Since the employee saw that the boy was clearly confused, he cleared his throat and explained.

“Ok, well,” he started out a bit hesitantly, “this is Burt’s Bubble Tea Shop, founded in 1997 by a guy that was not named Burt and passed onto the next generations of sons who were also not called Burt at all,” he snickered at his own joke. “Boba tea is our specialty. We serve the meanest ones in town, no wonder you ended up here. What should I ring up for you?”

Luhan looked even more confused now. “Boba tea? I just came to try bubble tea, thank you.”

The guy behind the counter laughed out loud but quickly composed himself in hopes of not offending the cute guy in front of him.

“Boba tea, bubble tea, milk tea, they’re all the same,” he clarified hastily.

“Oh!” Luhan exclaimed softly, with his mouth stretched into a tiny oval and revelation in his eyes.

After a few seconds of neither saying anything, Sehun decided to start the conversation again.

“Which flavor would you like to try?”

“Try!” Luhan repeated right after, “Yes, that’s what I came to do.”

Guiding his eyes towards the menu located behind the guy taking his order and a slight blush tainting his cheeks due to embarrassment, Luhan read the different flavors of bubble tea and couldn’t decide which one to choose.

“What do you recommend?” asked Luhan, returning his gaze to the other guy and blushing once again as he noticed how he was looking intently at him.

“It depends a lot on personal taste. What do you drink usually?”

“Coffee,” that Luhan could answer swiftly.

“We have Mocha flavor then. Maybe you can order that one,” said the boy.

Well, it’s not coffee per se, so I guess it counts, right?

“Alright, one mocha milk tea it is.”

“One mocha milk tea coming right up for…” the boy trailed off, looking at Luhan.

It wasn’t until a few moments later that Luhan caught up and understood what the employee was waiting for.

“Luhan, my name is Luhan.”

“One mocha milk tea coming right up for Luhan,” the guy repeated with an eye smile too beautiful for words, in Luhan’s opinion.

Already unaware of his actions, Luhan decided to open his mouth and, yet again, blurt out what came to mind while the guy was busy preparing his order.

“Name,” he said quietly, and the guy turned to look at him tilting his head as if asking Luhan to repeat what he said.

“Umm, I meant… name… no... your name. Yes, that. What’s your name?”

Luhan was torn between pride at having been able to form an apt sentence and shame at the embarrassment he was drowning himself in.

“Sehun,” he answered with yet another eye smile.

“Oh, ok. Hi, Sehun!”

Luhan was mentally beating himself up at his ridiculousness.

“Hi, Luhan!” Sehun answered back with a chuckle, handing Luhan his bubble tea right after.

Luhan took it and in order to avoid further humiliation, he sprinted out the door.

 

 

 

 

 

Something people close to Luhan know is that a quiet Luhan is either an angry Luhan or a mortified Luhan. So, when Jongdae walked in on Luhan sitting on a stool of his coffee shop’s counter pensively with a plastic cup of bubble tea in front of him and stayed for a few minutes without hearing a beep, he knew Luhan was on his feared quiet mode.

So, like the awesome friend he was, he went right to work bothering Luhan.

“I don’t run a coffee shop to have people bring in drinks from the competition. Please, kindly follow me out. I’ll show you the way, sir,” said Jongdae, gesturing his hands towards the door to the right.

Like any normal reaction of Luhan on quiet mode, all he did was stare fixedly at Jongdae, causing slight fear to brew on him though the latter would never admit so, and turning back to his unattended drink.

With a heavy sigh, Luhan slumped his shoulders and picked up his straw, poking it through the plastic covering of the cup and taking a long sip. His expression quickly turned into one of surprise, showing a small frown on his face at his clear confusion of how this could taste so good and taking another long sip. Seemingly satisfied, Luhan giggled and started drinking his bubble tea happily, twisting his body to look around while bobbing his head to a tune in his head.

Catching Jongdae’s scared expression at Luhan’s sudden transformation, he looked concerned for a bit but soon forgot so by sipping his drink continuously. Once he finished, he sighed happily and flopped in his chair, patting his belly softly and humming to the same tune. Anybody passing by would find it cute, but Jongdae was unaffected by his friend’s obvious charms and just rolled his eyes.

“If you’re done now, order something from the menu. I don’t want customers to think they can show up with whatever food they want and have it here. Much like you just did.”

“Dae dae,” chanted Luhan, “Don’t ruin my happy mood right now, ok? Baozi always makes exceptions for me.”

“Well, I’m the one supervising right now, and I decide what’s done in my shop,” Jongdae huffed.

Luhan tsked with a light smirk on his face. “I’m not sure Baozi will like how you’re treating his favorite costumer.”

At that, Jongdae decided to retract. His boyfriend was quite skilled at beating people up. Especially those who didn’t sit well with Luhan.

Rolling his eyes at the boy again, he asked, “What did they put on that drink that you’re cockier than usual?”

“I’m glad you said so. I have another excuse to drink it again,” Luhan responded nonchalantly, ignoring Jongdae’s snort.

Having realized what Luhan said, Jongdae smirked and looked at the boy.

“I guess you took to heart my ‘Luhan is a very boring guy that only drinks coffee because he’s boring as hell and not daring enough’ speech. Aww, you wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter