Kamikaze! My Heart!

Make You Feel My Love

Surrounded by frills, Jongin is in her happy place. She’s always had a fascination for rococo; the fashion, the decadence, the lifestyle. It’s inspiring and yes, sure, it’s expensive, but it’s worth it. Living this life, in the lap of luxury, just like any noble from the eighteenth century, is so worth it.

Even if she has no friends, her dresses and ribbons and bows are all she needs to be happy. Everyone else in this stupid town wears simple clothes from a supermarket, nothing nearly up to her standards of dress. What’s worse: they think it’s fine to wear those rags, and they don’t even aspire to be better.

Jongin sighs, falling back onto her strawberry bean bag seat in despair. She hates this town, out in the sticks, with not a boutique or pretty cafe in sight. She’s only here because her stupid dad got caught on one of his dumb scams again, and had to run from the police four years ago. Her grandmother had been kind enough to offer them a place in her home, but it’s drafty, and filthy, and she had to put down so many rugs just so her things wouldn’t get dirty.

Her favourite Lolita house is coming out with a new collection in just five days, but she barely has enough money to afford even half a new dress. She looks longingly at her wardrobe, feeling that it’s too empty, even though there are over twenty dresses inside. She could always do with another, or two…. Or three.

She needs to think of a way to make money, and fast. What could she do? Getting a job is not an option, she could damage her nails, or worse: they wouldn’t let her wear her pretty dresses. The idea is abhorrent. There has to be another way.

Frustrated, Jongin gets up and stretches. She wanders through to the front of the house, where her grandmother, wearing an eyepatch, is sitting. It’s clear where her father gets his bad habits from, she thinks, wrinkling her face as the old woman picks her nose.

“Granny,” Jongin begins, sitting down on the porch primly. “I need some money.”

“What happened to the last load of money I gave you?” The old woman regards Jongin’s attire with disgust. Entirely the wrong attitude to have towards her clothing. Jongin sniffs, and readjusts her lace collar.

“I spent it. Now I need some more.”

“No.” The old woman goes back to picking her nose. Jongin’s mouth falls open. Did she just say no? Shaking her head, Jongin retreats back to her room to fume, lying down on her frilled duvet. Is she destined to lead a life of austerity forever? It can’t be true. Even back when her father was selling fake chanel, her life was more decadent than this.

Wait.

That’s it! There are still some of those fakes left over from back then! Jongin launches to her feet and races to the forgotten cupboard, throwing out everything onto the floor. Eventually she digs out a large, familiar looking box. Breathless with anticipation, she rips into it, pulling out all manner of false bags, shirts and coats. She picks up one of the bags, a small fake leather thing, with the word ‘chamel’ embossed onto the side, and grins. This is it: the answer to all her problems!

The rest of her afternoon is spent going back and forth, taking photographs on her phone, and setting up an amazon account.

When night falls, Jongin perches on her strawberry bean bag and waits for a hit on one of her products, the only light in the room the glow of her laptop screen.

 

~

 

Jongin jerks awake to the sound of a mechanical roar. The sun is already high in the sky, which means she has missed breakfast. That part doesn’t really matter, as breakfast here is usually not what she would like anyway. It’s so hard to find authentic european bread, or english tea, around here. Her preferred diet would consist of mille feuille, and blancmange, but that’s just too much to ask, apparently.

She wonders briefly what her father is doing, as it can only be him that is making that terrible racket, but dismisses it. His juvenile, commoner antics are hardly worth her time.

Her laptop has fallen asleep, so she reboots it, eager to see if she has had any interest in her fake bags.

There is nothing. Time is running out: if she doesn’t place an order soon, she might not get a new dress this time at all.

Disgusted with the state of things, Jongin decides to rearrange her shoe collection. This time, rather than based on the height of the heels, or the amount of bows, she will do them by colour. It’s been awhile since they have been organised this way, and back then she had less than half of the number of shoes she does now. This task keeps her busy for most of the day, and she only leaves her room to eat. A subpar meal, as usual, but she knows that coq au vin and filet mignon is not easy to find out here in the countryside.

She is almost sweating when she finishes her task, but her shoes look sublime, so she doesn’t mind in this instance. Usually working this hard is something she wouldn’t do, but since this is for her own gain, it’s ok. Satisfied, Jongin goes back to her laptop, preparing for the worst, yet hoping that it won’t be true.

 

1 new message

 

Jongin gasps, and clicks on the link, hoping it’s a message from a potential buyer. It is, but even so, Jongin’s face falls as she reads the email. It reads:

 

“hey  mrs jongin. are those real fakes!!!?? I cant believe that theres someone selling these so close by! tell me a time when i can come by and have a look at those? I wanna look at them before i buy one :)))

D.O”

 

It looks like it was written by either a child or, well, an idiot. And they called her ‘mrs’- what a joke. Well, whatever. If they were going to pay her for the bag, then what did she care if this dumb kid was spending their parent’s money?

With concise, elegant prose, Jongin replies to the email.

 

“Dear D.O.

Tomorrow, anytime between midday and four PM would be acceptable.

Yours sincerely,

Kim Jongin.”

 

~

 

Jongin sits on the front porch, impatiently waiting for her buyer to arrive. It’s nearing five and they still haven’t arrived. Jongin has been sat here since twelve: five hours. If they don’t turn up soon, then she is going to explode. At least it would be a pretty explosion, she thinks, though her dress would be torn to smithereens.

The distant buzz of a fly makes her eye twitch. Of course, now would be the time for a fly to bother her. But instead of buzzing off, the noise only grows louder, reverberating through the rice fields, and making Jongin frown. What moron is the source of this? The noise gets louder and louder, and a cold dread drips into Jongin’s stomach. Please tell me this isn’t the idiot who is going to buy my bags, Jongin implores.

But of course, just a few moments later, a motorcycle (with a ridiculously tall custom seat) swerves into her garden, kicking up clouds of dust. A biker, probably from some kind of gang. Of course. Just what Jongin needs to deal with. She hopes that this particular one has decent manners, at the very least.

The girl looks to be shorter than Jongin, but she looks like she has enough attitude to make up for that. She’s wearing a tacky, short, faux leather skirt, and a crop top that shows off her stomach. Jongin gulps. She has a long jacket, the kind that gang members wear, with ‘butterfly’ embroidered onto the back. She has black lipstick.

She flicks her hair, then spits on the ground.

Jongin curbs her desire to recoil in disgust, telling herself that she needs to be professional. The girl walks lazily towards her, gawking at almost everything until she notices Jongin. The shock on her face is comical as she gapes and points at Jongin.

“You’re one of those fancy frilly girls!” She says. Jongin tries so hard not to roll her eyes.

“I’m one of the Lolita community, yes. Are you ‘D.O’?” She pronounces what can only be the girls gang nickname with a of disdain.

“Oh!” The girl smirks cartoonishly, “That’s me, yeah. Where’re the goods?” Jongin grits her teeth, but gets up anyway, and leads her to where she’s keeping everything. This girl, ‘D.O’, spends a stupidly long time admiring everything, running her fingers over the seams and flipping the objects over in her hands. The whole time, she has this dumb, awed, expression on her face. Jongin doesn’t understand why, because she clearly stated in the description that they were all fakes. Maybe the countryside is just so full of heathens that it doesn’t matter if it’s a fake; only that it’s fake of a designer brand.

“Have you… decided which one you want yet?” Jongin tries, hoping to get the girl to leave quickly. She can’t have a biker girl, a delinquent, sullying her home. Even if she is attractive.

“I can’t decide.” D.O replies, still staring at a chic black purse. Jongin wishes she would just hurry up and pick something already. “Do you have any coats? I have a wedding to go to, and I need something to wow my relatives.”

This time Jongin really does roll her eyes. But she makes sure that when she does, the other girl is looking the other way: she doesn’t want to provoke her into doing anything violent. Not when she’s wearing this particular dress, it’s one of her favourites.

“I do, yes. Over here.” She points to a selection of coats hanging over the back of a chair.

“Whoa!” The biker girl breaths, picking up the hem of a dark purple one, and rubbing the material between her fingertips as though it were expensive fabric, rather than synthetic polyester. “Can I try it on?” She asks. Jongin nods; anything to get rid of her as fast as possible. She grins, the expression giving her a more childlike aura and, even with the dark lips, it makes her look so much less intimidating. Jongin touches her cheeks, hiding the warmth rushing to the surface.

D.O puts her arms through the sleeves with such enthusiasm that she almost rips them. She twirls in it, her hands over the coat and drawing attention to the skin of her stomach showing.

“I think this is perfect.” D.O says, staring at herself in the mirror, tweaking the coat to make it hang on her small frame just right. “I’m going to the gang leader’s wedding, so I have to look my best. I’ve looked up to her for a long time.” She says, going back to the fake bags and trying them on, while wearing the coat. Jongin bites her tongue, praying that she isn’t going to share her life story, but it seems she’s out of luck today.

“I was picked on when I was a kid, so I would cry at home every day. One day, it got to be too much, so I took my bicycle and cycled as far as I could. When I stopped, I was only about halfway across town, but I was still crying.” She purses her lips. “And that’s where Joonmyeon found me! She came up to me, with her long black hair flowing dramatically in the wind and said,” she puts on a deep, sultry voice, “‘you shouldn’t show people when you’re crying. It means others can exploit you.’”

“That sounds-”

“Great, I know! She’s the best role model I’ve ever had. I joined the gang after that, we’re the Black Butterflies!” D.O says. Jongin wants to tell her that that was obvious, but doesn’t say anything. She seems to have finally settled on a black bag with a tiny silver fake logo, now, so hopefully she will be gone soon.

“Have you decided on those?” Jongin asks, quick to speak up before she continues on with her tale. The girl seems a little surprised, as though she had forgotten she was here for a reason other than to talk, but soon smiles. Jongin blinks and looks away; she had been unprepared for the force of such a genuine, if stupid, grin. She doesn’t seem like a very good gangster, if she’s honest. She guesses that they don’t do anything right, out in the sticks.

“Yes. How much do you want for them?” She asks, rummaging around in the pockets of her other coat, the one that has the gang logo on it.

“How much are you willing to pay?” Jongin wonders out loud, knowing full well that both of these fakes only cost about 30,000 at most. Maybe she could say 40,000 each, that way-

“This is all I have on me.” D.O. says apologetically, holding out what looks to be over 100,000 won. Jongin gapes, but quickly pulls herself together. She purses her lips, as if considering. That much money could cover half of a new dress, and with the money she already has, she’s pretty much covered! All she has to do is not blow it. Putting on a cold face, she taps her chin.

“I think that should just about cover it.” She lies. D.O.’s face lights up in relief, and she hands over the money eagerly. “Do you want me to put it in a bag?” Jongin offers. It’s the least she could do, after a con like that. D.O. smiles, shrugging off the coat and folding it up with care.

“Oh, no thank you! I can put it in the box on my bike- do you want to have a look at my bike, by the way? It’s the best! I had it kitted out with a high seat and a horn that plays a tune.” She’s already on her way out

“No, thank you.” Jongin declines as politely as she dares. The girl’s face falls a little, and Jongin’s chest does this peculiar twinge.

“That’s ok.” D.O. says, putting her things away in the box just behind the seat. She hops onto her bike. “I can just show you next time!”

“Huh?” Jongin frowns, unsure she heard that right. She doesn’t get the chance to question it, because a moment later the bike’s engine is kicking into gear, droning horribly. The girl with the black lipstick sticks her tongue out at Jongin, and does this stupid salute before taking off down the driveway. Clouds of smoke billow out behind her, like a dirty brown caterpillar.

Jongin deflates, and clutches at the money in her hand. She can buy a new dress, that’s all thats important.

 

~

 

The new dress is spectacular. Jongin has been staring at it for a while, readjusting it as it lays on her bed. She had gone to the city that morning to buy it, after putting in a reservation the evening she had enough money to afford it.

It’s a pale shade of blue, with layered ruffles for the skirt, and two bows at each hip. Another bow is located just below the neckline, large and eye catching, but in an elegant kind of way. The sleeves end at the elbow, and flare out with a frilled lining, another bow on each slit. Jongin loves it.

She sends out a thank you to the dumb gangster girl who had help to fund this work of art, and bring it into Jongin’s hands.

Now all she has to do is finish repairing the bonnet. It had become damaged somehow, probably because of all the bugs here- Jongin shudders- and now has a few unsightly holes in it. It shouldn’t be too hard to fix up, she thinks, the edges aren’t too frayed and she can probably figure out a way to make it match with the rest of the design. She can even use the same shade of blue to do it as the dress, so it matches!

Humming to herself, Jongin opens her sewing box and selects a few bobbins of thread, holding each one up to the fabric of the dress. One of them is almost a perfect match, so she goes with that one, picking out a needle and heading down into the main part of the house. The light is better there, so she’ll be able to see what she’s doing.

When she gets down there, her father is playing with some of the local boys, all of them idiots. They’re playing some dumb game with a stick, and being really loud. Plugging her headphones into her ears and rolling her eyes, Jongin sets to work.

Several hours later, she’s done with it. She’s managed to sew around the edges of the holes, creating a collection of hearts with blue borders. It looks pretty and lacy, and Jongin is really rather pleased with the outcome. She holds it up to the light, admiring her handiwork from different angles.

Suddenly a dark figure looms in front of her, making her drop the bonnet and scream. She quickly realises that it isn’t a monster, and is in fact that girl she swindled out of her money. She takes out one earphone, and glares up at the girl, trying not to pay attention to the fact that this time she’s wearing a top which displays her cleavage. Her lipstick is a dark shade of red this time.

How did she not notice her arrival? She looks out into the garden- the girl’s ridiculous bike is there, surrounded by the kids and her father, who is also a kid, now that she thinks about it.

“That’s amazing!” The girl, D.O., was it? Seems to be carrying on a conversation that she started while she couldn’t hear her. She takes the bonnet from Jongin’s hand, and looks it over. Jongin frowns, hoping she won’t get it dirty.

“Why are you here?” Jongin asks, hopefully not too rudely.

“I came to say thank you!” D.O. says, settling herself down next to Jongin. Jongin smiles wanly, her teeth clenched together. “The coat and the bag were a Big Hit!” She does this dorky finger gun thing that finally has Jongin cracking a laugh. Jongin covers , shocked and horrified. How undignified! She hadn’t meant to let loose an unseemly chuckle like that.

She’s the worst gangster she’s ever seen. Who would be intimidated by her? No one. Certainly not Jongin.

“There’s no need to thank me.” Jongin says demurely, hoping that she never finds out about how much she overpaid for them.

“Well, I wanted to anyway. And I wanted to see you again. You seem a little lonely here, so I thought I could cheer you up a bit.”

“What made you think I was lonely?” Jongin sneers, wishing she were wrong. She might be….just a little bit lonely. But only a little. And she wouldn’t want someone like D.O. to be her friend. She looks at the girl from the corner of her eye, flushing when her eyes glance past her chest by accident.

“I’m not sure.” D.O. says, looking at her speculatively. It makes her seem smart- maybe everything else is just an act, Jongin wonders, suddenly terrified at the thought. What if she’s just luring her in, trying to recruit her into her gang? Or worse, beat her up-

“My name is Kyungsoo, by the way. D.O. is just my gang name.” Jongin’s terror stops in it’s tracks.

“Kyungsoo?” She parrots dumbly. It’s a surprisingly cute name, she realises with dread. Kyungsoo nods.

“We’re going to be the bestest of friends, I can tell.” Kyungsoo announces, laying her hand down dangerously close to Jongin’s. Jongin internally wails.

 


hi there....i feel like i need to permanently have this gif on all my fics

THIS IS BASED OFF KAMIKAZE GIRLS! ITS A GOOD MOVIE PLS TRY IT! its a bit like scott pilgrim? but girlier and about girls (its not gay which is the only downside.... still good tho) 

anyway i was kinda trying out a different way of writing here? trying to actually be funny hopefully OTL and writing different types of characters than im used to :)

heres my twitter if ur interested

pls drop a comment if you enjoyed!