The Stubborn Prophecy

The Prince and the Dhampir

          Six years have gone by and Jongin did his best to keep Kyungsoo happy. The dhampir wasn't often called on missions, but when he was he always refused to bring Kyungsoo along, leaving the prince in the large underground mansion. Since Jongin and Kyungsoo had first met back when the younger was twelve, Kyungsoo had changed after losing his parents. The prophecy had become more closed off and moody. Jongin missed the young boy that the angel used to be, but the dhampir could understand how it would be hard to drop everything and leave the only place you've ever known. For the most part, Kyungsoo took care of himself, cooking, cleaning, and learning by reading books in Jongin's large personal library.

          Jongin always tried to remind Kyungsoo about how he had to stay safe until the day came where the prince would have to save the world. Kyungsoo had begun losing faith in the world at age fifteen when he began to mature, realizing that his parents were probably never coming back and everyone who saw him would try to capture or kill him.

          Of course, Kyungsoo enjoyed Jongin's company, but it was hard to stay entertained. Jongin hated seeing the young prince so upset and depressed all the time, but there was so little he could do to help. Sometimes the dhampir would bring go out to get gifts for Kyungsoo, but the angel never liked accepting them because he felt he didn't deserve anything. But, one thing that Jongin realized Kyungsoo found happiness in was reading. Mostly old romantic fairy tales. When Jongin couldn't do anything to make Kyungsoo smile, he would go to the city nearby and buy a new romance novel. Little did Jongin know, Kyungsoo was fantasizing of his own novel that played in his head every day when he saw Jongin, hoping that it could one day come true. But Kyungsoo was much too shy, and his attitude got in the way of ever having a decent chance with Jongin, treating the older more like a guard than a friend in recent years. . .

          "My prince," Jongin called as he walked down the long, dark hallway that all the bedrooms were lined up in. He got to Kyungsoo's room before knocking on it, "Dinner is almost ready, are you feeling any better?"

          "Go away," Kyungsoo called back, pulling the blanket over his pale face as he laid in his large bed, "I'm not hungry right now. . ."

          "You haven't eaten all day," Jongin worried, "If you won't come to the dining room, at least let me bring you your plate."

          "No," Kyungsoo argued, "I said I wasn't hungry. Now go away, Jongin!" The dhampir sighed deeply and ruffled his blonde hair, looking down at the new novel he had picked up for the prince earlier that morning before breakfast.

          "Seojin has a new book out," Jongin mumbled as he stood outside the bedroom door, "I was gonna give it to you after dinner but. . . I guess I'll just have to return it if you're not gonna--"

          "What are we having?" Kyungsoo interrupted suddenly as he opened the large bedroom door, standing only in a long white sleeping gown and some slippers. Jongin just looked at the younger before chuckling lightly and moving back a few steps to bow politely.

          "We're having chicken and vegetables," The blonde announced after standing back up straight and motioning for the prince to walk to the dining room, "After you, my prince."

          "Ahh," Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and folded his arms, "How many times do I have to tell you? Just call me Kyungsoo. I'm no prince." Jongin looked down at the shorter male before shaking his head softly.

          "You are, though," The older smiled, "So I address you that way and I will keep addressing you that way." Kyungsoo just shook his head and began to walk down the hall. Jongin smiled to himself and followed closely behind. "So you already finished the last book by Seojin?"

          "Almost," Kyungsoo shrugged, "It's not the most exciting one so I've been taking my time. I hope this one is better. She must be running out of good ideas."

          "Well she does have a lot of books," Jongin nodded, "Have you ever thought of writing your own?"

          "How could I do that?" Kyungsoo blinked, glancing back at Jongin, ignoring his dumb smile, "I can't let people know I'm still around. Remember? I don't exist."

          "You could write under a fake name," Jongin suggested, "You always tell me about how people can improve their works. And you also used to be so imaginative. Why don't you use those old stories you used to tell me when you were younger? They were great. Like the one about the vampire and the princess?"

          Kyungsoo blushed deeply as Jongin rambled on. He bit his lip and turned into the dining room, letting the dhampir pull out his chair for him. Kyungsoo honestly would love to write his own stories, but he was afraid no one would read them. Plus, his pride was too big to let Jongin be right about something.

          "Just give me my plate, Jongin," Kyungsoo ordered, having been a bit annoyed with the older by now, "And give me the book, too."

          "Okay, okay," Jongin chuckled and went to grab the plate of food for Kyungsoo, "You are feeling better, though, right? That cold you had really did a number on you..."

          "I'm alright," Kyungsoo dismissed, "Much better than I was two days ago. I think sleeping all day yesterday helped."

         "I think so, too," Jongin smiled and set the table before sitting down beside Kyungsoo and beginning to eat. The prince poked at the food on his plate for a moment before beginning to eat. Jongin always made chicken when the older got a chance to cook. When Kyungsoo was the cook, they had more variety, but Kyungsoo never minded when Jongin cooked, he actually wasn't that bad.

          "It's good," Kyungsoo mumbled softly after swallowing a mouthful of chicken. Jongin blinked at the sudden compliment, surprised at Kyungsoo's words. It was hard to get the prince to say anything nice that wasn't sarcasm.

          "I'm happy, then," Jongin smiled and continued to eat. Kyungsoo nodded shyly before clearing his throat and taking another bite of the food. To keep from feeling too awkward, the prince reached out to grab the new novel and read over the back cover, hoping to find a more interesting plot than the last book he read by the same author.

          Jongin watched as Kyungsoo curiously read the back of the book, bringing a smile to the dhampir's lips. Kyungsoo glanced over at Jongin and they made eye contact for a split second, making the younger blush deeply before slamming the book down on the table.

          "Will you stop?" Kyungsoo grit his teeth and looked down at his plate. The words made Jongin blink in confusion.

          "Stop what?"

          "That."

          "What's that?"

          "Just stop!" Kyungsoo almost begged before standing from his seat and rushing to the exit of the dining room. Jongin watched and thought to himself for a moment before getting up to follow the prince.

          "Why are you acting so weird lately, my prince?" Jongin quizzed as he used his super speed to rush and stand in front of Kyungsoo, making the brunette run into his chest before stepping back in surprise.

          "I'm not acting weird," Kyungsoo insisted, folding his arms and looking away with a shy pout. A blush still apparent on his round cheeks, "Let me go to my room."

          "Don't give me that," Jongin shook his head, folding his arms as well, "You're definitely acting weird. You've been avoiding me a lot lately and I want to know why."

          "You're being ridiculous," Kyungsoo retorted and moved to step around the dhampir, only to be grabbed by the waist and pulled back to stand in front of Jongin once again.

          "You're being confusing," Jongin raised a brow and tried to make eye contact with the prince but Kyungsoo kept looking away, "Why won't you talk to me anymore...? We used to be such good friends..." Kyungsoo frowned at Jongin's words before biting his lip nervously.

          "I'm not a little kid anymore, Jongin," The brunette mumbled softly under his breath, Jongin just barely catching the words the younger spoke. "When will you treat me like I'm not twelve anymore...?" The dhampir took a moment to think Kyungsoo's words over before looking back down at the prince.

          "When you start acting like you're older than twelve."

          "I do."

          "You don't."

          "But, I do!" Kyungsoo stomped, making Jongin fold his arms again and raise a brow.

          "You don't," Jongin replied once again, making Kyungsoo realize how he was acting. The prince just blushed deeply, feeling ashamed of himself and deeply embarrassed. Before Jongin could say anything else, Kyungsoo pushed past him and ran down the hall and back into his room, locking the door and running to lay back in his bed.

          "I hate myself," Kyungsoo whispered as tears filled his eyes and he covered his entire body with the blanket.

          "Kyungsoo," Jongin frowned, turning to see the door slam shut, making the dhampir jump slightly. "What's got him so upset...?" The blonde male sighed then decided that it would be best to let Kyungsoo calm down for a bit. Then he walked back to the dining room to gather the dishes and clean up, saving the leftovers in the large freezer in the kitchen.

          While Jongin was washing the dishes in the kitchen, he could hear footsteps in the dining room next door. Curiously, Jongin went to peek in through the doorway and smiled as he saw Kyungsoo grabbing the book off the table and heading back to the bedroom. The dhampir shook his head with a soft smile before finishing up with the cleaning and heading to check on Kyungsoo.

          "My prince," Jongin called softly through the tall bedroom door, "Do you mind if I come in?"

          "Please go away," Jongin hears Kyungsoo call weakly. The older sighed before running his hands through his hair and stepping into the bedroom anyway, seeing Kyungsoo curled up on the large bed in the blanket wrapped around him and the new novel in hand. "I said go away," Kyungsoo pouted.

          "I'm sorry," Jongin replied in a soft tone, "I owe you an apology and I didn't want to give it through the door."

          "Why do you need to apologize to me?" Kyungsoo blinked in confusion, thinking it was him who should probably apologize.

          "I shouldn't have pushed you with all those questions earlier," Jongin answered, "It was rude and unneeded. I upset you and I feel bad."

          "Don't," Kyungsoo shook his head and set the book down on the mattress beside him, "I was being a brat... You spoiled me, Jongin..."

          "I don't regret it," Jongin chuckled lightly, moving a bit closer to the bed, "You're cute when you're spoiled." Jongin's words made Kyungsoo's blush reappear from its earlier showcase.

          "Stop," Kyungsoo whispered, "Please just stop..."

          "What am I doing?" Jongin smiled, unsure of what Kyungsoo was talking about. Or was he?

          "That," Kyungsoo frowned cutely, trying not to watch as Jongin creeped closer to the bed to sit down beside him.

          "Tell me what that is, and maybe I will..." Jongin smiled to himself, slowly reaching a hand out to place over one of Kyungsoo's.

          "You have to know already," Kyungsoo let out in a small murmur, feeling his heartbeat speed up as he felt Jongin's hand on his.

          "Forgive me, my prince," Jongin spoke in a soft tone as he leaned closer to Kyungsoo's face, "I've been admiring you for a while since you've gotten older... And I know it's probably wrong of me to be doing this... But I have a feeling you've been feeling the same about me..."

         "Jongin," Kyungsoo shakily spoke, "I'm sorry for being so stubborn and rude..."

         "It's alright," The older smiled, "I understand. Life has been hard for you and you don't know what to do... I'm trying so hard to make you happy..."

          "You're doing so well, though," Kyungsoo replied sweetly, letting himself melt for the dhampir, "I appreciate it... I always have... I'm sorry I don't show it..."

          "Oh, but you do," Jongin corrected, "When I see that smile of yours, I know you appreciate me. I just hope you know that I appreciate you, too..."

          "No way," Kyungsoo blushed, "I must be such a pain..."

          "No," Jongin shook his head, slowly moving his free hand up to caress Kyungsoo's soft cheek, "Having you in my life only made me happy... Before I met you, I was just a lifeless shell of a dhampir with broken dreams... You breathed so much life back into me..."

          "Jongin..."

          "Let me do the same for you..."

         "Oh, Jongin," Kyungsoo mumbled before Jongin moved forward and pressed his plump lips against Kyungsoo's. The angel felt the world stop and he could hardly believe how much joy he was given just through a single kiss with the older. They both felt a big change approaching. And all they could hope for was that they could face it together...