One Touch

The Butterfly Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

ONE TOUCH

 

Do you know the story of a boy that was born as the mother of nature? No? Well, then I will tell you the whole story, now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Areum! It's not funny, anymore! Stop hiding!" Areum's grandpa yelled and walked past Areum, who was hiding behind a tree. As her grandpa got smaller in the distance, Areum made her way to the opposite direction of the forest. She was so winning this game, she thought and laughed. Little did she know, that this path was taking her to the heart of this forest. 

 

"AHHHHH!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As Areum landed too hard for her liking on the ground, she began to cry. Her right foot was hurting and on her left knee she could see a bloody bruise. She didn't like this game anymore, she wanted her grandpa to find her and hug her. Softly whispering into her ear like always that everything was okay and that her grandma would make her a hot chocolate or something, but nothing of this happened. For almost 2 hours Areum sat alone under the cliff, where she fell down from and hoped that her Grandpa would find her.

"Grandpa!Grandma!" Areum cried out but no one came, again. She was getting sick of this, just as she lost hope, a kid showed up in front of her.

"Why are you crying?" The kid said and made Areum look up to him. "My knee and my right foot hurts." Areum said and pointed with her finger at each hurting part of her small body, tears welling up in her eyes again.

"Hey...don't cry it's okay. Wanna see a cool trick?" The kid said and a smile was seen on his lower part of his face. The upper part was covered in a red-white mask, but Areum didn't really care about it. She wanted to see the trick. Blinking her tears away, Areum nodded in a cute way and waited for the kid to make his trick, forgetting her pain instantly.

"But you have to keep calm, okay?" Areum nodded curiously.

"And don't touch it okay?" Areum nodded again, watching every move of the kid in front of her. The kid raised his right hand and wandered with it to her hurting parts. His hand stopped over her hurting knee, still making sure, that they were 2 inches from each other away. To Areum's surprise, A beautiful blue light came out of his hand, turning her knee into a beautiful blue shape. Areum's jaw fell down and she watched with curiosity further the movements of the kid. "A fly is going to get into your mouth if you keep doing that." The kid smirked, making Areum kind of annoyed at him. She closed and pouted, this kid was really getting rude, she thought. Suddenly, a blue butterfly could be seen in front of Areum's face and flew around her and the strange kid. Keeping a good look on the butterfly, Areum didn't miss the part, where the butterfly sat down on the kid's blue hand, making the blue light even brighter than before. Areum had to cover eyes with her hands, because the blue light was too strong for her, but as she felt that the light went away Areum couldn't feel a single painful body part from her anymore. She looked at her knee and everything was healed. Areum's eyes widen and she looked at the kid in front of her. "Thank you!" Areum jumped up and just as she was going to hug the kid in front of her out of thankfulness, the kid Jumped away from Areum making her stumble forward. Blinking a few times, Areum tried to understand the situation. As she tried to hug him again, he jumped away.  Trying again and again, Areum had to stop 'cause of lack of breath.

"Why---don't--yo--"

"Don't touch me." The kid said and Areum could hear a little bit of hardness in his voice. Areum wandered with her eyes up and met with her gaze, the kid's eyes.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because you are dangerous."

"Dangerous?" Areum tilted her head and looked at the kid.

"Me?" When she arrived a nod from the Kid as an answer, Areum began to cry.

"But I'm not dangerous!" She insisted and stomped on the ground with her right foot, that was just healed by him.

"Wah--Shhh!" The kid was suprised to see Areum cry again, because of that he didn't know what to do.

"Are you anywhere hurt, again?" The kid asked, but stayed at his place, far away  from Areum.

Areum just nodded while still crying like a waterfall.

"Show me." He said and watched her, waiting for her to reveal her hurting part of her body.

Instead of showing him her wound, Areum pointed with her finger to her chest, where the most pain was coming from.

"Your heart?" He asked and if Areum could have seen his whole face, She'd have seen how high his eyebrows went up after he realized at what she was pointing at.

"Yes, it's hurting so badly." She said and tried wiping away her tears, since when was she that of a crybaby?

"Well, let me see then." The kid said and walked to Areum, slowly, not taking his eyes from her. As he bend down and looked at the place, where her heart should be, Areum felt how her heart began to beat faster and butterflys tried to make their way through her stomach. Now she cried even harder, because she didn't know this feeling.

"I think butterflys live in my tummy! They're going to eat me!" She said and didn't care about wiping her tears anymore.

"I'm going to die! Grandpa! Grandma! Help me!" She cried, until the kid tried to calm her down, by telling her that she wouldn't die, if she was by his side. 

As before, the kid lifted his hand and a blue light escaped his hand, making Areum stop crying. At least she stopped crying, the kid thought and a small smile was seen on his lips. The only thing  that suprised the both of them, was that the blue butterfly didn't appear, the whole time  the kid was doing this. The kid just shook his head, maybe it needed a break or something he thought and stood up, looking at Areum again. Now, he noticed how beautiful the girl, in front of him actually was. Just like Areums heart, the kid's heart began to beat faster too, making him blush under his mask. Luckily, Areum could see nothing.

"Did the pain disappear?" He asked, while trying to supress his fast beating heart. He never had this feeling before.

"I think so." Areum nodded with her head and stood up while patting her legs a bit. As she noticed that the kid walked further away from her, Areum got a sudden panic attack.

"Yah! Don't go!" She shouted out and ran after the kid. But before she could reach him, Areum stumbled and fell straight down on her face, laying on the ground right behind the kid in front of her.

"Why are you so clumsy?!" He turned around and looked at Areum with an amused face. Well, Areum thought that because his smirk looked like that.

"I don't know." Areum said and tears started to well up in her eyes again. But before she could cry, a stick appeared in front of Areum's eyes, making her immediately aware of her surroundings. She looked up and met with her gaze the back of the kid's head, only his hand was turned to her with a wood stick in it.

"I'll bring you to your Grandparents okay?" The kid said and Areum's face lit up, immdiately. "Really?" She took the stick in her right hand and stood up with a big smile on her face.

"Yes." The kid said with a soft voice, that brought Areum's heart to melt in an instant, just like an ice-cream under the hot sun.

"Well then Let's go!" Areum said and followed the kid to wherever he was heading to.

_____

"Umm by the way...do you have a name?" Areum looked at the kid's back and couldn't miss out his short dark brown hair that was falling down from his head. It looked so soft, that Areum wanted to bury her hands in them, but she wasn't that dumb. She knew that he didn't like touching or she just thought it, because of that she held herself back and just admired them from far away.

"You can call me V." He said and didn't even bother to turn around to Areum. "Okay, V." Areum said, doubting a bit that this was his real name, but just shrugged it off in the end. Looking at the wooden stick in her hands, Areum thought about her grandparents, but as she was just thinking about if she would get in trouble, V asked her something.

"And yours?" Because V got her on suprise, Areum at first didn't know what he was talking about but soon enough she got the string back.

"Areum." She said while admiring V's hair again, until she decided to look around her surroundings, this forest was really beautiful. The trees were giantic and they all had  healthy green foliage on their tree crowns. And when she looked at the ground, she didn't just see a slimy brown ground, but a green ground with wonderful and colorful flowers, here and there she could see some stones and big roots on the ground, but they were all beautiful too. While admiring her surroundings with full curiosity, Areum didn't even noticed that V admired something the whole time too, while not moving an inch towards the way he wanted to bring Areum. It wasn't the forest or the sky above them, it was Areum herself. He was fascinated by her beauty and the way her eyes lit up whenever she found something that met her beauty standards and he was sure that her beauty standards weren't that high 'cause her eyes lit up every second, but that was the thing he liked at her. Smiling softly to himself, V tightened his grib on the wooden stick. Maybe he couldn't touch Areum physically, but with his mind? That was okay right? He just imagined that he was  touching Areum's hand instead of the wooden stick, that separated the both of them.  He thought about holding her small hand , which was probably very warm, but he knew he couldn't. He wasn't allowed to. He wasn't allowed to touch any human on this planet and they weren't allowed to touch him either. He was destined to be innocent and pure. Any filthy and dirty human wasn't allowed to touch and make him dirty, with their bloody hands. Nature had to be kept beautiful and pure. "Areum..." He said softly and when her eyes landed on him, V felt like his heart was going to burst out of his chest right now. He knew what he felt wasn't right, but what could he do? He didn't even know what he was feeling for Areum, he just knew that it wasn't right. Not right at all. "We're almost there." He said and turned back, facing the front with his whole body. Little did he know, that Areum was feeling the same way as V at this time. She too, didn't know why she was feeling like this. Feeling like crying and smiling at the same time, but the only think she thought about now or wanted to think about was getting back to her dear grandparents, she really missed them by now. As they reached the hill, where Areum fell down off, V stopped and looked up to the lighting stars that were slowly coming out from the -now getting dark- sky.

"Aren't they pretty?" He asked and felt how his heart began to cry for something that he wasn't aware of. Was it fate? 

"Yes, totally." Areum made her way to stand besides V and lifted her head up to look at the beautiful stars, still holding on the stick as if her life depends on it. She too felt sad, because she knew they would go their separate ways from now on. Yes, she was young, but like I said before she wasn't dumb.

"Are we going to meet again, V?" Areum tried to supress her tears,by clenching her teeth and loosening her grip on the wooden stick, to ball her hands, making her knuckles go white, but she couldn't stop herself from sobbing. With an aching heart, V tore his gaze from the stars to Areum and looked at her with sad eyes, his instinct telling him to hug the hell out of her, but his mind telling him to not do something reckless. He was torn apart by two sides. At the end he decided to pat her. Not with his hand, but with the wooden stick, As he patted with the wooden stick, Areum's left shoulder, the said girl began to look at V with her wet cheeks and teary eyes. The only thing Areum could see were black orps on V's half-covered face.

"Do you know what?" V asked and a soft sad smile was seen under his mask.

"What?"  Areum asked and tried to wipe away her tears.

"If you have a wish and whisper this wish to a butterfly...it will fly up to heaven and make it come true." V said and pointed at the black sky, that showed of his wonderful white shining stars. As Areum lifted her head and admired the whole night sky, she totally forgot about the fact that she didn't feel the wooden stick on her left shoulder anymore. She just looked at the sky and thought about V's sentence. 

"That means we can meet aga----- V?" Just as Areum turned her head to her left side, to ask V something, she realized that V wasn't standing besides her anymore. Only a tiny bell with a small blue ribbon attached to it was on his place, where he just stood. As Areum picked it up and held it in front of her face, Areum could see a small engraving just in the middle of the bell.

 

V ~ A

 

With cold tears falling down on the ground, Areum began to shout out V's name. "V!......V!.......V!" She tried it again and again, but the voice that called after Areum wasn't V in the end.

 

 

"Areum!!!" It was her grandpa with some strangers that were all wearing the same blue clothes.

 

 

 

 

But not even her grandpa's longing hug could heal the pain that tried to tear apart Areum's heart.

 

 

 

 

_____

 

 

 

Looking out of the window, Areum stared at every tree that was passing past her. Finally, she was going to meet her grandparents again, after so many years.

As she was listening to a song by her favourite group, a waitress nudged her shoulder, making Areum jump up from her seat next to the window of the train and immediately taking out her earphones to look at her. "I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare u miss." The waitress bowed a few times  in 90° degrees, almost making herself stumble forwards until Areum stopped her with some waves with her right hand. "No no it's okay. What's the matter?" Areum asked and smiled warmly at the waitress in front of her. "U-uh I wanted to ask you if you want something to eat, miss." "Oh...mh..could I have a hot chocolate and...mhh can you suggest me something?" Areum asked and tapped with her fingers on the table in front of her, still smiling friendly at the waitress, who was at first shocked to hear that Areum wanted to drink a hot chocolate at this hot sunny day. 

"Uh-- I could recommend our big sundae, with almost every ice flavour that we have Oh it's so tasty~ uhh I mean ah-hahah" Areum had to laugh at the waitress for losing herself at the mention of the big sundae. "Well then I would love to have that." As the waitress heard that, she immediately dashed off to bring her customer the said things. "She's so cute." Areum said to herself and stuffed the earphones back into her ears, taking her notebook out of her blue bag and starting to sketch at her unfinished piece of art again. After some time, the waitress appeared with the hot chocolate and the ice cream on a tray and placed it in front of Areum, who pulled her earphones out of her ears again. As the waitress bowed and wanted to leave again, Areum quickly grabbed her wrist and pulled her back, making her sit in front of Areum. "Eat with me." Areum said and took her hot chocolate, guiding it to . "B-bu-" "No, it's okay. It's for you. Just eat it, I'm sure you can take a small break. It's very warm and you're already sweating." At that, the waitress wiped her sweat away from her forehead and began to look at the ice in front of her. She did want to eat it but she was definitely not allowed to. "Just eat it." Areum repeated and placed the hot chocolate back at the table, starting to sketch again. After some time of staring, the waitress took the light pink spoon, that was stuffed into the ice and began to eat the ice cream slowly, glancing here and there at Areum. "What's your name by the way?" Areum asked not daring to take her eyes from the sketching away. "Lisa..." Lisa said and stared at Areum some time before moving her gaze back to the ice, that already seduced her. "Areum." Areum said and stuffed her sketchbook back into her bag, moving her full attention to Lisa, who was stuffing the ice into like a starving hamster. "You don't have to be formal with me you know. I think we're even the same age right?" Making a big cute gulb,  Lisa wandered with her gaze to Areum. "I'm 19." She said and waited for Areum to tell her, her age as well. " I'm 18 1/2. Almost 19." Areum said and laughed while taking her hot chocolate again. "Well then nice to meet you, Areum." Lisa said with a big cute smile and stretched out her hand. "The pleasure is mine." Areum said back and shook the hand of Lisa, smiling just as big as Lisa. 

_____

 

"Bye, Lisa! I'll text you!" Areum waved at Lisa, while walking backwards to the exit of the train station. "I'll wait then!" Lisa shouted and walked after a  big wave, back into the train. As Areum made her way to the exit, she could already make out from a far her grandparents. "Grandma!Grandpa!" Areum shouted out and immediately ran towards her dear grandparents, taking each one into her arms. "My dear Areum! You got so tall, wait are you even eating? Look at yourself your so skinny! Omo I tink I'm going to faint at the sight of you! Darling, let's drive to Mc Donald's we get her the whole menu!" "Dear calm down. Let her breath, look at her face! She is getting red because of your tight hug!" Areum's grandpa said and seperated the both of them. "Grandma....I think....you should....stop exercising..." Areum said between her deep breaths. "Omo! I'm sorry." "We're still going to Mc Donald's thought?" Areum said and a big grin was placed on her face, while she was looking at her grandma, who had the same grin on her face. "That's my Areum!"  Her grandma shouted and gave Areum two high-fives. "Those little childs." Areum's grandpa said, while shaking his head from right to left. "The first one that reaches the car gets to have a big Mc Flurry!" As Areum and her grandma turned their head to the direction of  her grandpa, he was already out of her sight. "That cheater!" Areum's grandma yelled and immediately ran off, with Areum close to her heels.

_____

"Well, I'm full now." Areum's granpa said and his belly, making his way up to his and her grandma's room. "Areum, could you please go to the supermarket and buy us some milk and eggs, we ran out of it. Here, I give you some money." Her grandma said and gave Areum the money."Grandma just lay down and rest." Areum said, while making her way out of the house. "Such a nice niece that we have." Areum's  Grandma said and made her way to her room as well. She was really too old for this, she thought.

_____

"La la la la laaaa~" Areum jumped up and down the street, while singing to a random melody. Soon, as she was getting near her goal, Areum stopped at the entrance, taking a good look at it. It sure was getting dark, she thought and tried to make out the way, that should bring her to the cliff where she fell off from when she was younger. But she didn't see anything. "Well, then I have to go by myself..." She said and took a flashlight out of her bag. As Areum turned it on, she was already making her way through the forest. She never forgot the experience that she had made here...with V. She never forgot his beautiful -quadrat like- smile when he was happy, his brown hair, that looked softer than a white cloud. His beautiful hands, which she wasn't allowed to touch or his black orps that could been see through two small holes in his mask. She didn't forget anything, not even the blue butterfly.

"Actually, this should be the place where I fell down fro---AHHHHH!"

_____

"Wow, I think I should come here often, I totally forgot where the cliff was placed." Areum said and patted her dirty , while she was standing up. The bad thing was that she lost her flashlight while she was falling down from the cliff and she didn't bring another one. "Areum, you're so dumb." As she was making her way through the darkness, Areum noticed ,that when she made her first step, that she probably sprained her right ankle "." Areum cursed under her breath and sat down next to tree. She was happy that she could see a bit at least, but soon the sun would go to sleep. At this moment Areum knew that she ed up. "This can't be happening to me..." She said and placed her bag next to her lap, taking out of a small brown box that she kept since she was young. As she opened it, Areum fell how her palms got sweaty. She was so nervous, would he come if she rang it? Would he save her again? Not wasting anymore seconds, Areum softly rang the small bell.

.....

Nothing.

Areum looked with a puzzled face at the bell. Was it broken? But she never touched it, thought? Areum sighed and placed the bell back into the small box of hers. Did V lie to her? Was everything that he said a lie? Was the meeting of them a lie itself? Areum ruffled her brown long hair and sighed. She was so going to get into trouble for this. As Areum was drifting into her own dreamland the only word that escaped was a three letter word.

"Why?"

_____

 After a small nap, Areum opened her eyes slowly, only to see blue dust, raining down on her. With a confused look on her face, Areum lifted her face and saw one of the beautiful things in her whole life. 

A blue colored butterfly. 

"Hey...you don't actually know a boy called V?" Areum asked the butterfly and as an answer the blue butterfly flapped her wings strongly and flew somewhere else. "In a film I would follow it now..." Areum mused but in the end she decided to follow the butterfly. So Areum took her bag and started following the butterfly with big but carefull and painful steps -her right ankle was sprained after all-. She didn't want to lose it, because the forest was now too dark for her liking, the only thing she could see was the blue butterfly that shone like a blue crystal into the night sky. She was so amazed by it, that Areum almost tripped and fell on her injured foot. Hissing a bit over her clumsiness, Areum looked up, just to meet the butterfly some inches away from her. Was it waiting for her? Shaking her head from right to left, Areum just began to follow the blue butterfly again.

"Where are you taking me anyw--Wow." Areum was amazed.

"This..This is so beautiful.." Areum was more than amazed. She didn't know how to describe this feeling that she was feeling, but her heart was beating so loudly, Areum was scared that it was going to burst out soon. She even forgot about the butterfly, when she was 'running' to the crystal clear water. Taking a sip from it, Areum didn't feel anymore thirsty, like before. But....something wasn't right. It was like the water was trying to tell her something, but Areum didn't get anything. Then suddenly the blue butterfly was in front of her eyes again. Blinking softly, Areum was sure that the butterfly was getting more far away from her, to the other side of the water. "Hey! Wait!" Without thinking, Areum placed her bag on the ground and took off her shoes and her socks, taking a step with her left foot into the cold water. "Brrr, It's cold." As Areum stepped with her right foot into the water, Areum felt how the water began to bubble around her. "Wha--" As if that wouldn't be enough, blue butterflys surrounded her, making Areum stumble and fell flat on her back. Now, she was lost and wet. Shaking her head Areum tried to stand up, but as she was doing that a blue butterfly sat down on her nose. "Are you making fun of me?" Areum asked playfully and stood up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter