birthday

minyoon drabbles

 

Mino is a kindergarten teacher and he has to work on his birthday so his boyfriend Seungyoon comes and takes him (and the kids) on a picnic by the Han River.


 

Mino couldn’t grasp what was happening when he saw Seungyoon at the class door with flowers and balloons occupying his both hands. He had a huge smile on his face.

“Hey, kids. Aren’t you forgetting something?” He said, his smile never fading.

Mino looked at the kids who had been his students for the past 2 years. He had known them since they were 4 years old and now they were 6 and it was his last year with them. Even though it wasn’t actually allowed Seungyoon would sometimes stop by the kindergarten to play with the kids or sing to them. Mino knew all the kids liked Seungyoon and they had a special relationship but now Seungyoon looking at them expectantly and kids smiling like they were keeping a secret made him feel suspicious.

Some of the kids moved shyly and looked at Seungyoon as if they were waiting for his sign. Seungyoon smiled at them encouragingly before all of them started singing.

“Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear teacher, happy birthday to you!”

Seungyoon gave the balloons to one of the kids and pulled Mino to a corner away from the children while they kept on singing. He gave the flowers to Mino.

“Happy birthday, baby.” He said before leaning forward to kiss him.

Mino smiled shyly. It wasn’t often that he felt shy but it was generally because of Seungyoon. Seungyoon had always been a romantic but Mino never thought he would go to this extent to celebrate his birthday.

“I can’t believe you did that.” Mino laughed. “You made all of the kids sing it too”

“Yeah and believe me it was easy. They love you.” He paused. “And I love you too.”

Mino pulled him for a kiss.

“And I love you. Thank you so much for this.”

“It’s just the beginning” Seungyoon said while returning the kiss.

He took Mino’s hand and led him to where children where back to their games.

“Hey, kids. Are you all ready?” He asked with a huge grin on his face.

“Yes!!” All the kids screamed in unison.

“We are going on a picnic by the Han River!” Seungyoon informed Mino.

“What? Seungyoon, you know that we can’t do that. The kids are supposed to be here and th-”

“Don’t worry about anything. I settled everything. I asked for permission from all the children’s families and the director knows about it. He let us go.”

Mino looked at unbelievingly. When could Seungyoon do all these things without Mino ever doubting? Mino was actually relieved to hear he didn’t have to work today. Not that he hated his job but spending his birthday at kindergarten, doing the usual things had seemed so boring. He kissed Seungyoon’s cheek and helped him get the children into a line. They helped kids wearing their shoes, then Seungyoon led them all to the van he rented for the day.

“We have a cake” said Seungyoon while settling to the driver’s seat. “And champagne for both of us” He blinked.

Mino laughed. He felt like it was already a lovely day.

They drove around the city towards Han River, Seungyoon singing and encouraging kids to sing along. Mino watched them with a smile pasted on his face. He knew that Seungyoon was really good with kids but watching him playing like this with them made Mino feel all cuddly inside.

When they arrived, Seungyoon took all of their picnic basket and blanket, left Mino leading the kids. Mino and the kids laid the blanket under a tree with nice flowers. Seungyoon took out all of the food he brought along, sat the kids on the blanket. Mino helped all of them settling down. When all of the kids seemed comfortable and busy with eating Seungyoon brought another blanket and laid it down somewhere near the kids but far enough for them not to hear Mino and Seungyoon.

“So we can have some private time for ourselves.”

Mino shook his head. It felt wrong sitting and flirting with your boyfriend under a tree during your work time but he liked anyways. Seungyoon went back to the van and came back with more food and a bottle.

“You didn’t cook the food, right?”

“No” Seungyoon laughed. “So it’s safe. Otherwise I wouldn’t feed the kids, don’t worry.” He paused before saying “I’m a good father.”

Mino laughed. “Silly. They’re not your children.”

“I wish they were though.” Seungyoon sighed and look at the river. It seemed calm. “Wouldn’t want kids? Wouldn’t we make great parents?”

“Whoa, Kang Seungyoon. Where’s this confidence coming from?” Mino joked.

Seungyoon didn’t laugh or look at Mino. So Mino continued.

“Yeah… we would.” He said. “But you know, it’s impossible. We can’t even get married, let alone having kids.”

Seungyoon faked a shocked face.

“What do you mean? I thought we were already married.”

“Kang Seungyoon, drunk marriage proposals made with pull tab rings don’t count official.”

They both laughed.

“But I still love you, you know that, right?”

“Yeah, I do. Now stop being cheesy and open this bottle.”

They sipped their champagnes in carton cups –not to be bad examples to kids- and watched the people walking by, the kids playing and the river calmly moving. They didn’t talk much since they didn’t need words anymore. Seungyoon slipped his hand into Mino’s and held it tightly. Mino had an urge to kiss Seungyoon and never let go but he didn’t since the kids could see them. Even though a part of him wished to be alone with Seungyoon he was happy to be here with the kids. They were all like his children now and Mino liked the way how they never judged him and accepted Seungyoon so much easier than adults could ever. The kids had given a chance to Seungyoon to get to know him- without knowing that their relationship wouldn’t be accepted in the “adult world”. The kids didn’t care about such things- they only cared if he was funny or he was good at games. They listened when he sang and never –not even once- thought that he was a freak for loving their teacher. It seemed so natural to them, everyone would love Candy Teacher so it was only natural for Seungyoon to fall for him too.

“Come on” said Seungyoon, urging Mino to get up. “It’s time to cut the cake.”

Seungyoon came back with a huge cake while Mino was playing with the kids. He set the cake right at the center of the blanket and all the kids suddenly leaned towards it, admiring its look. The cake was rainbow colored and had a cute unicorn right on top of it. “Happy birthday” was written with a smudged handwriting.

Seungyoon shrugged when he saw Mino trying to hold back his laugh.

“Taehyun helped me make it.”

Mino laughed and kissed Seungyoon on his cheek. “I loved it. It looks nice.”

Kids helped Seungyoon set the candles. He lit them one by one.

“Think about your wish” Seungyoon told Mino.

“I don’t have to think about it. I already know what I will wish for.”

Mino said his wish to the invisible force who is charge of listening to birthday wishes and blowed all of them at once. The kids clapped and rushed to Mino to hug him.

Seungyoon watched him with an endearing smile on his face when Mino almost got lost in the sea of children. The kids loved him almost as much as Seungyoon did.

When the kids were playing, Mino and Seungyoon cleared up all the dirty plates. When they finished Seungyoon sat down right under the tree and pulled Mino to himself. He played with Mino’s hair, occasionally caressing it.

“I love you” he murmured. “Happy birthday.”

“I love you too” Mino answered. He looked around to make sure the kids were far enough. Then he leaned and kissed Seungyoon.

“I had expected more kisses today” said Seungyoon.

“Then you have to wait until we reach home” answered Mino.

“Kids, c’mon. It’s time to go home” Seungyoon got up and walked towards the kids.

“Stupid” said Mino, laughing.

He watched Seungyoon playing with kids, trying to get them all get on the van. He thought about what Seungyoon said earlier, about becoming parents. He knew that it was impossible taking the place and society they lived in into consideration but it was still a nice dream to hold onto. Seungyoon- Mino was sure- would make one of the best fathers Mino could ever see.