Knight in Shining Armour

[Oneshot] Knight in Shining Armour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I will always be your knight in shining armour, Minhye-ah!” Dongwoo announced proudly, grinning widely. “You will never have to cry when I am here, because I will beat up anyone who makes you upset!”

“Waaa, Dongwoo oppa is so cool!” Minhye cheerfully chirped, giddy from the promise from her beloved Dongwoo. “We will be together forever!”

“Pinky promise?”

“Pinky promise!”

 

*

 

That scene was from twelve years ago, when Dongwoo was 9 and Minhye was 7. Right now, Dongwoo had just turned 21 and Minhye 19. They are both still very close – still best friends. Dongwoo had kept up with his words; Minhye had never found herself too upset or sad to the point of crying at anything. She was an optimistic person to begin with, and what’s there to cry about when you have an amazing family and a great best friend by your side?

Minhye’s parents migrated to U.S.A. during their high school year, but Minhye insisted on staying in Korea, because she didn’t want to be separated from Dongwoo. Her parents had reluctantly agreed after Dongwoo assured them that he would take care of her. Ever since then, he would always sneak into Minhye’s house through her bedroom window, just to keep her company and make sure she wasn’t lonely.

 

It wasn’t until the winter that year that Minhye noticed how much her life revolved around Dongwoo. She had always been fond of him – but being the carefree person she was, she never thought it would have been love. To put it fatefully, she learned it the hard way.

Minhye was just done with her college classes – she was a freshman in Seoul University. Dongwoo was in his final year – which also meant that he was much busier compared to her, and needless to say they spent less time together. She did not mind at all since she knew distance was not something that would diminish their friendship.

 

But Dongwoo had made an appointment for lunch with her that day, and failed to turn up. She was standing outside the campus canteen, checking her wristwatch for the fifth time because Dongwoo was 40 minutes late. She had tried calling his cell phone for a few times before she realized that there was a possibility of his class ending late… Stupid lecturers, she thought.

“Hey. What are you doing here, Minhye-ah?”

She turned towards the familiar voice and found herself staring at Hoya, one of Dongwoo’s friend from his dance club.

“I’m waiting for Dongwoo oppa.” She explained, “Have you seen him?”

“I think he is touring the new student around the school. I saw him bringing her to our club room just now, she is really pretty!” Hoya chuckled, “well, I have to go now; Myungsoo is waiting for me… I’ll see you around!”

Minhye waved at Hoya, slightly bewildered at this unknown, unpleasant feeling creeping in her heart. She sighed as she checked the time again – and decided that it was pointless to wait. After all, the campus was really big and if Dongwoo were to tour around, it would probably take another hour.

 

*

 

“I’m sorry!” Dongwoo kneeled in front of Minhye. They were both inside Minhye’s room – Dongwoo had climbed in through the window as usual. It was after dinner time, and Minhye was just reading a novel on her bed when he arrived.

“It’s okay.” She shrugged it off, as if it was not a big deal.

“My cell phone ran out of battery before I could inform you. I’m really sorry, Minhye-ah!” He apologized again, frowning as he felt really guilty. He had arrived at the canteen two hours after their supposed meeting time and by then Minhye had left. “Please don’t be angry!”

“I’m not angry, oppa.” She smiled. “I saw Howon oppa and he told me you were bringing the new student around. I thought it would take long and I was tired from class so I left.”

“Did something happen during class?” He then jerked up the moment he heard your words. “Did your teacher or classmate pick on you? You know you can tell m–“

“No, oppa, I’m just tired from studying!” She quickly replied, stopping Dongwoo from blabbering. She was a bit relieved to see that her dear oppa was still as concerned as ever.

He scratched the back of his neck before standing up and sitting next to Minhye on her bed. They adjusted their sitting position and sat cross-legged facing each other.

 

“Minhye-ah. You know that you are really important to me, right?”

“Neh.”

“So don’t be angry, okay?”

“Neh.”

“I think… I think…” Dongwoo gulped. “I think I have a crush on someone.”

Minhye’s eyes widened.

“M-May be I just– I mean–“ He stumbled with his words, “When I saw Hyerin enter the class, everything just froze and all I could see was her!”

Minhye’s throat was getting dry so she swallowed, not knowing why she felt like crying.

“The new student?” She asked. Dongwoo nodded.

She could not find any other words to say, and settled with a strained “Good luck, oppa.” Dongwoo was too into his own feelings to notice her biting her lip in distress.

 

*

 

“About time this thing happens, huh?”

Minhye frowned at Hoya’s words.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you both have practically grown up together. I always knew that one day one of you would end up falling for another.”

“I am not falling for Dongwoo oppa.”

“Really? Then why are you so upset that he likes someone else?”

She let out a deep breath as she looked up to the sky. She had bumped into Hoya at the corridor and the older had noticed her gloomy expression. He had asked her about what happened. Minhye, in need of someone to talk to, dragged him to the rooftop to pour out her feelings.

“I guess I am selfish to hope that he would always be by my side.” She smiled bitterly. “He is always protecting me… I have never done anything for him. It’s only natural that he would find someone better.”

“Don’t say that, you know that you are important to him too.” Hoya comforted. “Don’t be so down. It’s not like they are together or anything. May be it’s just puppy love.”

Minhye did not feel like talking so she nodded her head. Hoya ruffled her hair.

“Cheer up, dongsaeng-ah… Why don’t we go eat ice cream today? I have dance club later so we can meet after 4pm.”

She considered about it but nodded at the temptation of strawberry ice cream. Hoya grinned and said that it was time for him to go class, and Minhye agreed to ‘fetch’ him at the dance studio afterwards, since her afternoon class would end at 4pm.

 

*

 

“Alright, let’s stop for today. Good job everyone!” Sunggyu clapped, the others followed. Hoya was quick to grab his things and pack up.

“Yah, what’s the rush, Howon-ah?” Woohyun laughed. “You have a date today? Normally you would always be the last one to leave.”

“As the matter of fact, I have.” Hoya joked. He did not see Minhye that way, and they were not going out on a date, but he doesn’t have to explain that.

“Really? Who’s the lucky girl?” Dongwoo laughed. Among everyone, he was closest to Hoya. “You don’t tell me anything these days man. I hope she wi–“

“Hoya oppa? Are you done?”

They froze at the familiar voice. Hoya simply zipped up his backpack and – on purpose – beamed at Minhye who was at the studio door. He noted Dongwoo’s jealous struck face before he got up.

“Yeah, I’m done. Let’s go.” He walked to the door and grabbed Minhye’s hand. “See you all!”

He left the studio hand-in-hand with Minhye. Minhye managed to say a quick “bye oppa” to Dongwoo, and Dongwoo could only stay rooted on the ground, dumbfounded.

“Yah. Dongwoo-ah. Gwenchana?” Sunggyu patted his shoulder.

“He looks heartbroken.” Sungyeol pointed out.

Myungsoo flashed a concerned look at Dongwoo.

“Hyung, are you jealous?” Sungjong teased.

“N-No, of course not.” Dongwoo snapped out of his trance. “It’s just… Huh? Since when…”

He frowned. Why was he bothered? He shook his head, walking to his bag and packing up his things in silence. The others exchanged looks before shrugging and packing up as well.

It must be because I care for her as a brother. He assured himself. Yeah, nothing much. But why didn’t she tell me that she was close with Howon? And Howon did not say anything as well… Aish, why is it affecting me so much? I must be crazy.

 

*

 

Minhye plopped onto her bed, feeling sleepy after dinnertime. Needless to say the ice cream outing was awesome because she got to enjoy her lovely strawberry ice cream, and Hoya was a great company. He was like the older brother she never had and she was glad he treated her like his closest sibling. She knew he was trying to cheer her up and it worked.

When Dongwoo arrived later that night, she was already asleep. Dongwoo stared at her – disappointed because they hadn’t talked all day. He placed her blanket on her, sighing quietly.

“You must always be happy, arasso?” Dongwoo whispered and pecked her forehead, leaving through the window as usual.

 

*

 

Few days passed and Minhye had not seen Dongwoo around. He had stopped dropping by at night, and soon she learned from Hoya that the senior students (Sunggyu, Dongwoo and Woohyun) had not been turning up for dance practice since they were rushing their final assessment. She could only try to be understanding, but it was hard not to feel sad whenever she entered the canteen and see Dongwoo sitting with Hyerin, eating lunch happily.

If he wanted to spend some time with me, he could always make a lunch appointment with me. May be he doesn’t need me anymore since he has Hyerin now.

She shook her head, willing for herself to stop being so clingy. She has to be an independent person now. One day Dongwoo would have his own family and she would have no one else to protect her, but herself. That thought made her heart throb painfully.

She was lost in her thoughts that she did not notice Hoya was standing in front of her, staring amusedly at her ever changing expression.

He lean forward and flicked her forehead, causing her to yelp in surprise.

“HAHAHAHA!” Hoya laughed at her surprised face. “You should have seen your face, Minhye-ah!”

“Yah! Oppa! How could you do that!” She blushed as she rubbed her nose. “Aish!”

She playfully walked away, Hoya soon tagging behind her, playing along and apologized.

“Minhye-ah~ Talk to me~ Miahne~”

“Shiro.”

“Minhye~”

“Shiro.”

“Look at me, Minhye-ah~”

“Shiro. Mehrong!”

They played around as they headed outside school. Dongwoo, who was exiting the canteen with Hyerin, stopped in his track as he saw the two goofing around.

 

“Is something wro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter