Final.

It could have been love

I’m coming back soon. Wait for me? – Kookie

 

It was Sunday morning when Jimin received the text message. He just finished taking his bath and with a towel draped around his lower half, Jimin went to the bedside table to retrieve his phone. Seeing the new text message, Jimin quickly unlocked his phone and open the message folder. 

 

I’m coming home soon, just landed at the airport. Wait for me? – Kookie

 

Jimin frowns. ‘Didn’t he forget me already?’ 

 

It’s been 3 whole months without any notice from Jungkook, and Jimin reassured himself that maybe Jungkook was really busy (even though he’s facebook status is always online),  and tried to get on with his life without hoping too much on the younger boy. For the past 3 months, Hoseok had kept Jimin busy with shopping and classes and whatnot. Jimin knows that Hoseok’s trying hard to help him cope with the absence of Jungkook, and Jimin is grateful for him, but not when Hoseok keeps talking about the said boy, mocking him for leaving Jimin behind and not contacting him.

 

The first few weeks without talking to Jungkook was hard. They used to be so close, talking and chatting online almost every day, even on weekends and now Jungkook’s stop texting him and he doesn’t know what to make of that. Jimin was hopeless in the first few weeks, trudging along like a zombie, feeling no energy to do anything except focus on the ache in his chest. And after a while, Jimin got used to the ache and pain and after a month, Jimin numbed himself to the feeling and moved on like everything’s fine. 

 

And maybe from the outside he did look fine, even Hoseok almost believed him. Almost. But every time Hoseok stares at Jimin’s doe-shaped eyes – that’s lost a lot of brightness and joy to it, Hoseok noted – Hoseok could see the hollowness inside, a stark contrast with the big gummy smile Jimin gives him every time they meet up. 

 

But now Jungkook’s coming back, already on his way here and Jimin’s not sure what to do with the new found information. Jimin ponders for a few minutes, sitting on his bed, with the towel still draped around him and beads of water sliding down his skin. 

 

‘Why would he tell me this?’ ‘Should I tell Hoseok?’ What am I supposed to do now?’ 

 

Jimin thinks and thinks and thinks, his wet hair already dried up and the bedside clock showing it was well past afternoon.

 

The grumbling of his tummy manages to bring Jimin back to reality. With a sigh, Jimin stands up and goes to his closet to change into a proper attire, settling for a black skinny jeans and a white loose t-shirt. Jimin walks along the white corridor of his house and enters the kitchen, to fix himself his daily cup of Americano. 

 

After filling the machine with coffee beans, Jimin sets it on and proceeds to watch television to catch up on some daily news. Just as he was about to walk towards the living room, the doorbell rang, signaling that someone is outside. 

 

Jimin pads his way towards the front door, sure that Hoseok would be at the opposite end because that boy has been coming non-stop to his place because according to him, “You’re so lonely hyung, you need me.” and Jimin didn’t have the heart to reject him.

 

“Hi Jiminie.” 

 

Jimin freezes at the name. The name Jungkook constantly calls him with, and only Jungkook calls him that. 

 

Jimin scans the person from head to toe. In front of him was none other than Jungkook, live in the flesh, with scarves looping all around his neck and thick jackets covering him. Jimin almost didn’t recognize him with the scarves covering half his face and the beanie covering his head and Jimin could never forget the eyes. The intense eyes that only Jungkook is capable of.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jimin asks softly, still not believing his eyes that Jungkook was really here. 

 

Jungkook pouts. “I’m here to see you dummy.” Jungkook notices Jimin’s frozen statue and sighs. “Are you not happy to see me hyung?”

 

Jimin shakes his head. “No…no, I was just surprised.” Jimin steps aside to allow Jungkook in. “Come inside, it’s cold outside.” 

 

Jungkook walks past Jimin and the whiff of his scent made Jimin wants to succumb to tears after months of missing Jungkook. 

 

Jungkook makes his way towards the living room and plops down comfortably on one of the couches. “So did you miss me?” He asks teasingly.

 

And Jimin thinks that Jungkook is cruel with how he jokes with Jimin feelings as if they were toys. Jimin tries his best to compose himself from breaking down in front of him but it’s been so long since Jimin’s last seen Jungkook that he can’t grasp anything other than the fact that Jungkook’s really here and Jimin doesn’t think he can hold it in any longer. 

 

“Hey what’s wrong?” Jungkook frowns, noticing the slight tremble on Jimin’s body. “I was only joking.” 

 

Jimin feels his last resolve weakening and he hears his last nerve snapping against his insides.

 

“And that’s all it’ll ever be to you right?” Jimin manages to complete the sentence through gritted teeth and trembling shoulders. His eyes are blazing and all he sees is red red red and Jungkook. What am I? A joke?” 

 

Jungkook backs a bit in surprise. “But I’m not – “

 

“You know what Jungkook, I can’t handle this any longer.” Jimin cuts him off in a haste. “It’s been months and I’m still in love with you. And I hate the fact that I’m in love with you!” Jimin half yells, releasing everything that he has been trying to hide for the past few months. 

 

Jungkook looks startled for a moment but Jimin didn’t let him recover. “These past few months I realized that you don’t care about me. Then I realized, you probably never did anyway.” Jimin looks down at the floor, unable to help his tears slip loose as the droplets pool down at his feet. Jimin looks back up at Jungkook, determined to end this feeling. “And the saddest part of if it all, is that you made me believe you did,” Jimin whispers brokenly. 

 

With everything being said, Jimin turns towards his bedroom and glances back towards Jungkook. “Just leave Jungkook.” And with that Jimin slowly retreats to the comfort of his bedroom.

 

Jungkook sees the retreating figure of Jimin and without thinking he jumps up and runs towards Jimin, turning his shoulder around. Jungkook sees the slipping tears on Jimin’s face and the teeth biting on his chapped lips and the sight almost made Jungkook hug the taller boy but he didn’t. He wouldn’t. Not until he straightens things out. 

 

Jungkook cups his hands on Jimin’s face, attempting to wipe the tears away while Jimin just lets him. “You’re so ridiculous Jiminie,” Jungkook says warmly, staring up into Jimin’s eyes. “You have no idea how much I like you, how much you make me smile, how much I love talking to you, or how much I wish you were mine.” 


    
Jimin looks down at Jungkook who seems to be blushing after his confession. And without a word, Jungkook places his hand behind his neck and pulls him in for a chaste kiss feeling the spark of neurons exploding inside his body. 

 

Jungkook pulls back a bit, lips hovering over Jimin’s own. “Will you be mine Jimin?”

 

And Jimin thinks that Jungkook’s cruel for reducing him to this mess as the tears pour down his face like rainfalls but he manages to whisper out a soft, “Yes,” among the butterfly kisses and fleeting hands.