First.

It could have been love

“So Jungkook’s gone to America already?” Hoseok asks from his place on the couch, sipping on coffee that Jimin has made for him.

 

“He has.” Jimin nods, bringing in cookies and a cup of coffee from the kitchen for himself. “Something about majoring modern dance or something like that.”

 

“So he just left you?” Hoseok asks, a bit incredulous which Jimin thinks is unnecessary.

 

“Yes…he just left?” Jimin questions back, propping himself on the couch opposite Hoseok, humming softly as the scent of coffee filling his nostrils. “What’s wrong with that?”

 

Hoseok scoffs a little too excessive. Jimin’s too blunt at times and that makes Hoseok feel the need to care and pamper him like the child he is.

 

“And you agreed to it?” Hoseok asks again.

 

Jimin looks down at his coffee, a sad smile tugging at the end of his lips. He stars at his coffee, the dark color seemingly like a void that could him into it. With a soft whisper he replies, “I don’t have a choice Hoseok.” Jimin looks up at him with pained eyes.

 

Hoseok scoffs again for the second time and settles into the back of the couch. “You guys were so in love.” He says softly, watching Jimin with guarded eyes as if the words could break Jimin at any moment.

 

Jimin frowns. “We weren’t -” Hoseok throws him a look “– I mean, Jungkook wasn’t in love with me.”

 

Jimin starts to play with his fingers nervously, the subject always manage to break him into pieces. Hoseok waits patiently for another 5 minutes, seeing the uncomfortable look in Jimin’s eyes, as if holding something back.

 

“I think we had something.” Jimin starts again after (true to Hoseok) 5 minutes. “It wasn’t love -”

 

“– but it wasn’t nothing either.” Hoseok ends the sentence.

 

Jimin lets out a sigh, almost in defeat and nods his head.

 

“And perhaps it was just stolen glances in long corridors, and laughing a little too much at each other’s ridiculous jokes.”

 

Hoseok sees the way Jimin frets around almost uncomfortably and the way his fingers tug at the hem of the sweater he is wearing.

 

“Perhaps it was just feeling giddy at touching knees and pausing before breathing each other’s name.”

 

Jimin looks at Hoseok, he’s face almost unreadable but his eyes – his doe-shaped eyes which used to be filled with so much joy – gives away Jimins true emotions. Hoseok hitches his throat at the intense emotions swimming in Jimins eyes and tries to stay still.

 

“And I know that it wasn’t love,” Jimin repeats again, “but it could have been. I’m sure at another time, in another place, it could have been.”

 

And Hoseok’s not sure what to reply back when he sees Jimin looking at him with so much longingness for the boy that was never in love with him.