Chapter 01

Loveless

After finishing all of her classes for the day, Lynden just wanted to go home and sleep; however, she was unable to do so right after school because Seungkwan, her ride home, had to stay after for a short while to practice for his upcoming show with his singing group. She had a license, but her parents had not yet gotten her a car. It's not like we don't have enough money, Lynden scoffed.

So here she was, standing in front of the school waiting for her brother to get out. Approximately fifteen minutes had passed since students were released to go home, and Lynden was starting to get bored of meaninglessly standing around. She grabbed her backpack and started back into the school building to find Seungkwan.

While walking to the music rooms, Lynden took out her phone and began to text Seungkwan to tell him where she'd be waiting for him. On the way to her destination, she glanced into the gym, where she saw a bunch of students working out. Lynden was not a fan of working out or even sports in general, so she was about to continue on her way when she caught sight of Vernon, her brother's best friend. He had a few girls "discreetly" watching him exercise. She blushed and scurried away as he looked back at her through the window and smirked.

Lynden finally made it down to the music department. Seungkwan still had 20 minutes of practice left, so Lynden decided to play on her phone in the meantime. In the middle of her game of Cooking Dash, someone quietly sat down next to her.

"You know, you should really be saving up your coins to purchase better upgrades," Vernon advised with a small chuckle.

"Oh! Vernon, when did you get here? Weren't you just at the gym? You smell all gross and sweaty. I mean, you smell nice any other time, but right now, you're musty," Lynden rambled. She had known Vernon for 9 years already because of his association with Seungkwan, but she couldn't help but turn into a blushing mess whenever he was near her.

Vernon laughed heartily at her comments and replied, "Yeah, I was working out, but I wanted to see you. I haven't come over to your house recently, so I never got to talk to you. How have you been?"

"I've been great, thanks for asking," Lynden started. Just then, Seungkwan came out from the music room and walked over to where Vernon and Lynden were sitting. "Oh, great! We can go home. Vernon, I gotta go!" Lynden exclaimed as she dragged Seungkwan out of the school. Vernon looked on at the two running down the hall and laughed quietly when he saw his friend's confused face.

"Oh gosh, where could the two of them be? We should've texted them to come straight home! There's only 2 hours left until we have to be over at the Mr. and Mrs. Chwe's house," worried Mrs. Jwa, Lynden and Seungkwan's mother.

Right after she said that, Lynden rushed into the house, with an amused Seungkwan trailing behind her.

"Hey mom! Hey dad!" Lynden greeted as she ran up the stairs.

The two siblings headed to their rooms to change out of their school uniforms and into some, hopefully, more comfortable clothes. Their mother called after them and told them to wear formal clothes and to be ready in an hour. Seungkwan and Lynden looked at each other and groaned quietly. 

Lynden stood in her closet and looked around at her clothes, as if an outfit would magically appear, all coordinated and ready to wear. She settled for an knee-length dress with a floral pattern and some strappy wedges. Then, she opted for some lightweight foundation, to brighten her complexion, and a natural makeup look.

"Mom!" she yelled as she walked down the stairs, "does this look okay?"

Her mom appeared from the kitchen and nodded with a smile. "Honey, you look beautiful!" she answered with glittering eyes. Lynden briefly wondered why her mother was getting so emotional. After all, this was not the first time Lynden had worn the dress. She shrugged and walked downstairs anyways and waited for her brother to finish up.

"Seungkwan! What's taking so long? You don't even wear makeup," Lynden joked.

Seungkwan came out of his room, neatly dressed, but with a playful scowl on his face at his sister's joke. 

Finally, the Boo family was ready to go!


Upon arriving at the aforementioned house, Seungkwan sat up and looked out the window with curiosity. "Hey, this is where Hansol-ie lives," he shrieked. At the mention of Vernon's real name, Lynden's eyes widened. Oh my gosh, she thought, what are we doing here? And especially in such nice clothes! 

Pushing all weird thoughts aside, Lynden stepped out of the car and headed for the front door. She waited with the rest of her family as the doorbell rang. Suddenly, the door opened and Lynden's family was met with the Chwes' head maid, who greeted them with a warm and familiar smile.

"Hey, Seungkwan! How's the mixtape coming along?" Mrs. Chwe joked, "great to see you here, everyone. And Lynden, you look so grown and beautiful!" The two families were extremely close as the parents had all been best friends since high school.

Vernon came out of his room to see why it was so noisy. Apparently, Mr. and Mrs. Chwe felt that Vernon did not need to be informed about having guests over, so Vernon came out with a look of confusion on his face. That is, until he met eyes with Seungkwan.

"A-yo, Boonon! Lynden! What are you doing here?" Vernon questioned as he did his special handshake with Seungkwan. Seungkwan shrugged and replied, "I don't know. My parents just threw us in the car and we came over here. I wonder what's up."

The head of the Chwe household, Mr. Chwe, invited everyone to have a seat at the dining table. The parents were all smiles, yet the children were out of the loop. Lynden hated not knowing things, so she was upset that her parents would not even look at her when she asked questions. Her bad mood was chased away when a little girl leapt into her lap.*

"Sofia! How's my favorite girl?" Lynden smiled.

Sofia didn't reply, but instead hugged Lynden tightly and rested her head on her shoulder. The two were practically best friends, despite the huge age difference. Lynden adored Vernon's little sister and often took her out for ice cream or to the arcade.

"Alright, Sofia. That's enough," Mr. Chwe said with a small chuckle, "get seated properly so we can start dinner."

Sofia trudged over to her seat, and the maids set the dishes down on the table.

Lynden's mouth watered at all the delicious food and began to eat. After everyone had finished eating, Mr. Chwe and Mr. Boo became serious and gave each other a knowing look.

"I think it's best if we come straight out with it. Vernon, Lynden, you two are getting married," Hansol's dad stated.

Vernon and Lynden looked at their parents in confusion as the parents looked back with nervous smiles. Vernons perplexed face quickly turned into a lopsided smile. Seungkwan glanced at his sister and pushed her chin up so that would close, but he was also in shock.

All silence was broken when Sofia suddenly giggled at the thought of her brother and Lynden getting married.


 

How's that for a first chapter? It's kinda slow and not completely clear, but hopefully my story will progress smoothly. This is just the background of the story, so please don't be too harsh LOL. Please leave comments below and let me know what you think! I'd also appreciate some advice or constructive criticism. :-)

*For the sake of the story, I made Sofia a lot younger than she actually is.

Also, if you guys ever feel bothered by the spelling of Chwe, let me know and I'll change it to Choi. 

Thanks for reading!!