You're never going to make me go to a party, but keep trying

Inside Out

Baekhyun didn’t want to admit that Chanyeol was already growing on him. He expected to not get along with the walking man of perfection, nor did he ever think the walking man of perfection would continue to speak coherent sentences with him. Only a week and a half passed and they were basically attached at the hip. Baekhyun already called Chanyeol when he was stressed, and they even hung out at Baekhyun’s house. After Chanyeol gave moral support as Baekhyun worked, they talked for hours about anything and everything.  Turned out Chanyeol was a photographer and the print shop he worked with run by a close friend was in America. It explained the late meeting the first time they met. On the side, Chanyeol played various instruments including guitar, piano, ukulele, and drums. He sang, wrote his own music, and even produced it. His album sold roughly seven hundred copies since he released it last month, and producers were even scouting him. He always refused them, though, because his true passion was photography. Baekhyun asked him what his favorite thing was to photograph. 

He said, “People. Capturing them in their natural state is the most beautiful thing man could see. Seeing the true smiles of those around me is such a gift and I would never give it up to go into such a fake music industry.”

Apparently, Chanyeol’s photographs sold for over ₩3,000,000 and were well known in the photography community. Baekhyun sat, utterly dumbfounded. He never met someone so passionate and in love with his work. The way Chanyeol’s eyes lit up when talking about photography was captivating. It reminded him of the time his family took a trip to the countryside. Millions of stars had been scattered across the contrasting black sky. Galaxies and planets had winked down at him, and he had spent the night sleeping outside. Baekhyun swore he saw the universe in Chanyeol’s eyes, and was drawn to him. At some point, he asked himself, what if he were that perfect? What if he were just as passionate about writing? Not saying he wasn’t, but with the constant work, writing was becoming a chore, and he hated it. 

>>><<<

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said at about one in the morning on a Wednesday night. Earlier that day, Baekhyun was required to write thirty pages to make up for a lost day. Before making a trip to the publishing company and giving his editor a good knuckle sandwich, he called Chanyeol to ask if he wanted to join. Instead, Chanyeol arrived forty five minutes later with Starbucks, snacks, and a few movies for afterward. Baekhyun finished only ten minutes prior and now they were sprawled across a tiny couch, Baekhyun squished between Chanyeol’s unfairly muscular legs and the couch, heads at opposite ends. They were eating chips and downing a gallon of milk. Baekhyun felt completely stripped of motivation to move. The writing beast had once again dragged him through the depths of hell and back. When the bag of chips were too far out of reach, he laid back on the armrest and closed his eyes. Chanyeol did the same.

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol called again.

“What?”

“There’s a party to celebrate fellow photographers and their success. You wanna come?”

Baekhyun sat up, now more awake. Chanyeol glanced at him with tired eyes and went back to hanging over the armrest (he was a bit too long to fit). “Are you insane?”

“Maybe?”

“I don’t do parties, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun sighed. “I’m the last person anyone invites, if they even think of inviting me.”

“C’mon Baekhyun, don’t be such a downer. It’ll be fun.” Chanyeol sat up too, and leaned against the armrest. He rested his hand on Baekhyun’s foot and patted it. “You’re always in your apartment or at Starbucks. Why don’t you get out a bit?”

“I don’t… I don’t do people. I’m fairly content with my Starbucks and home.” Baekhyun huffed and crossed his arms. He turned his nose up and shook Chanyeol’s hand off. His haughty attitude didn’t last long, though. He felt a slight tingle on the bottom of his foot. Suddenly his right foot jerked and almost landed at hit on Chanyeol’s nose. Chanyeol sniggered and wrapped his arm around both of Baekhyun’s leg, trapping him. Then he began to tickle the bottom of Baekhyun’s feet. The captive struggled to get his legs out of Chanyeol’s strong grip, but to no avail. Baekhyun writhed, laughing to the point of crying. He begged Chanyeol to stop, and he would, but under one condition: Baekhyun would have to join him at the party. Baekhyun refused whole-heartedly. Chanyeol gave him a devious smile and continued his attack. At some point, Chanyeol was tickling Baekhyun’s neck, and was about to go for his sides, when Baekhyun stopped laughing and shoved Chanyeol’s hands away. His face held shame and embarrassment.

“Baekhyun, what’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked, sensing the change in mood.

“Nothing. I just… I don’t like people touching me there.” Especially not you, Baekhyun thought. He didn’t want Chanyeol to know he wasn’t in shape. Mr. Perfection-and-well-toned-abs would surely make fun of him for it. Baekhyun desperately wanted to get rid of the chub that hung onto his stomach and refused to release its grip. If only he had abs like Chanyeol. Then he wouldn’t have any problem with it. Not to mention, if Chanyeol’s hands ever found their way to tickling Baekhyun’s hips, he would feel how round they were. He would probably tell him he looked like a girl and also make fun of him for that, too. He couldn’t let that happen. Even though he didn’t like to admit it, he thoroughly enjoyed Chanyeol’s presence. He was a good influence and motivator for Baekhyun’s work, and if that ever left, Baekhyun would probably be left floundering, trying to fill the gaping hole Chanyeol would leave. He wasn’t the type to bounce back easily, and the thought of it left a sour taste in Baekhyun’s mouth.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” Chanyeol sat back and let his hands drop to his lap. Baekhyun felt a little guilty. They were having fun, but at the same time, he was grateful avoid any more embarrassment (probably). He looked at the clock. It was already 1:30pm. He should hit sack to actually function properly in the morning.

“I’m going to bed. You can,” Baekhyun waved to the couch and a few blankets perched over the back. He refused to look Chanyeol in the eyes, but h could feel the latter staring at him, trying to catch his eye. Not returning the look was like trying to ignore a rabid animal attacking him. It was impossible, and holes were being bored into his head. “G’night,” he muttered and his heels. The staring was almost unbearable. Chanyeol probably was judging him and thought he was a noob, a wimp, a weirdo. Baekhyun couldn’t blame him, though, since it was true. 

He stared at himself in the mirror while brushing. The dark circles were noticeably fainter than before, but were still way too prominent on his pale face. As he moved his hand around his face, it revealed yet another angle Baekhyun never wanted to be looked at. It made his face larger and uglier than it usually did. I can’t believe he wanted to invite this mess to a party, Baekhyun laughed pitifully at himself. Once he finished brushing, he walked to his room and shut the lights off. He slipped under his covers and nestled his head between four pillows. Outside his room, though, he could hear Chanyeol humming while rustling a few blankets. At some point, he stopped humming and began whispering with the cat. Baekhyun pressed more animals around his ears until he could only hear his heavy breathing. He sighed and closed his eyes, drifting into a comfortable sleep with Chanyeol’s humming floating gently into his ears. 

The morning was filled with the sound of a toilet flushing when Baekhyun woke up. It was only 7:00am. He hadn't woken up that early in at least a few months. It was revitalizing, to say the least. Despite going to bed late, he felt much more energized, especially knowing he had more of the day do to get his work done. 

As he swung his legs over the bed, he heard a knock at his door. He didn't respond and watched the door swing open. Chanyeol stood in the doorway, rubbing his damp hands on his pants. It looked like he had showered recently, but put on his clothes from yesterday. Baekhyun was about to offer a change of clothes, but he gave Chanyeol a once over and realized all of his things would be too small. 

“Baekhyun, I'm going to head back. I have to get ready for a meeting with my friend from America; he's the guy that does my printing.” Chanyeol pushed his red hair back. Water drops trailed down his face and his neck. His adam’s apple bobbed. “We’re picking which prints will be hung at the celebration.” His eyes met Baekhyun’s. “You really should come, Baek.” With a slight nod, he turned and left. 

Baekhyun waited until the door clicked. He swallowed thickly and gently ran a hand over his own neck, thinking about the way Chanyeol’s had moved so far. There was basically no adam’s Apple on Baekhyun’s neck. He dropped his hand. Yet another part of himself that made him more feminine than he wished to be. He sighed and stood up. No use in feeling bad about himself.

At least he had a day off. It was once in a blue moon when he got one, but this time his editor was taking a vacation for a week. Baekhyun was still supposed to write, of course, but it never hurt to take a break. As long as his editor never figured out about it. 

There wasn't much to do around his apartment. The cat was still sleeping and Chanyeol's was gone. Baekhyun didn't have any hobbies either, unlike Chanyeol who did anything and everything. Technically writing was his hobby until he published those short stories. Then it became a full time job, which was more exhausting than he had initially thought. The only other “hobby,” if you could call it that, was singing. Along with hapkido lessons, his mother put him through singing lessons from a young age up until college. He was in choir during school and even dabbled in the theater arts, but he always auditioned for a background character. Even when his theater arts teacher told him to audition for a lead role, he was always too scared. Baekhyun stopped performing and instead went to college for writing. He was one of the fortunate few to get a story published in multiple books that all turned out to be extremely successful. However, he knew it would die off soon, and if he didn't get a book out in the near future, he would have to say goodbye to his nice apartment and downgrade to something much smaller. 

In the end, Baekhyun decided to settle down on his couch and read a book. There were a few on his shelf that he hadn't touched and were collecting dust, but he chose to read The Tale of Despereaux, which was the reason he started writing when he was younger. Granted, it was a child’s book, but the sense of adventure and wonder from the viewpoint of a small mouse was what he loved the most. It was a tattered, old book that was no longer gently used. The cover was held together by multiple strips of tape (his cat decided to shred it and he no longer kept his books on a shelf) and the binding was about to fall out. A few words were smeared from multiple liquids and foods falling on the book, but Baekhyun knew the book like the back of his hand and had no trouble reciting it. Despite it being his, probably, one hundredth time reading it, he still loved it and found new aspects each time. 

The sun was setting in the sky by the time Baekhyun finished his fifth read of the book. Oranges were splashed across the horizon and the deep blue of the night sky was making its way, eating up the warmer colors. The city life below seemed louder and brighter than before. Cars honked and the lights gave off a warm glow. It was strangely calming for Baekhyun. He grew up in a small neighborhood that tended to be silent at night, save for the bugs and the occasional car. After so long of quiet, he was glad to move to a city. 

Just as Baekhyun was about to read the same book for the sixth time, a knock sounded at the door. He stood up, walked over, and opened it. The minute the door was open just a crack, a large figure pushed in. Of course, it was Chanyeol. He was wearing a suit and deep purple tie and looked extremely dashing. Baekhyun knew it was Chanyeol before even standing up. The only person that knocked on his door was Chanyeol, and it was always with a certain pattern. 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said from inside the bedroom. “Get over here.”

“Chanyeol, what are you doing?” asked Baekhyun, standing in the doorway of his room. 

Chanyeol was opening and closing every single drawer and pulling out different clothes. There was an ever growing pile on the floor and bed of different shirts and pants. Baekhyun began picking up the clothing and folding them. When a pair of shorts was thrown on his head, he huffed and stood up. 

“Chanyeol, stop rummaging through my drawers. What are you looking for?”

Chanyeol didn’t answer and a few second later, stood up with an “aha!” He spun around and held up a button up, short-sleeved, forest green shirt with a tiny cat pattern. He then held up a pair of khakis and held them out to Baekhyun. 

“Put these on,” Chanyeol said. He shoved them in Baekhyun’s outstretched hands and then went over to the line of shoes against the wall. He squatted down and started picking them up, inspecting them. Eventually he chose a pair of white Keds. He stood up and gave them to Baekhyun, who was still standing there, utterly confused. 

“Why am I putting these on?” Baekhyun asked, holding the clothes and shoes close to his chest. 

“I'm taking you to this party.”

What?” Baekhyun’s eyes went wide. “No, Chanyeol. I can't, I won't.”

“Baek, you've been home all day, haven't you? I know because I checked the Starbucks. You weren't there. You should get out of your apartment. I won't let you. I've been thinking about this all day, Baek. I was about to go to the party alone, and then I decided you're coming with me.” Chanyeol explained.

“But I don't know anyone. It'll be like sitting in my apartment, just with more people around.” Baekhyun tried to argue, but Chanyeol kept shaking his head. 

“I'm going to let you change. I expect to see you in…” Chanyeol checked his watch. “I'll give you ten minutes to get dressed and fix yourself in the bathroom.” He patted Baekhyun’s shoulder and walked out. 

Ten minutes later, Baekhyun walked out of the bathroom feeling extremely self conscious. At the last minute, he decided to put gel in his hair and he was already regretting it. He felt extremely without any bangs on his forehead. The shirt he was wearing was something he got on a whim and never wore it, and he didn't wear his Keds on a regular basis either. He preferred sneakers or slides, and, from time to time, flip flops. Not to mention, the khakis he was wearing were a little more form fitting than he liked. He wore looser skinny jeans or sweatpants usually. It was like he was a completely different person, and he didn't know if he was into the look. 

“Ready, Baekhyun?” Chanyeol stood up and gave Baekhyun a once over. He nodded with approval. 

“No.” Baekhyun said flatly. 

“Is there something you need to do?”

“No. I'm not ready mentally or physically or any way shape or form. I don't want to do this.” Baekhyun fidgeted with the band of his khakis. 

“You'll be fine. I'll be there if you need any help. And we can leave when you want, but as long as you stay for at least ten minutes, okay?” Chanyeol put a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder and patted it.

“But…”

“You'll be fine.”

“Chanyeol, why do I have to go?” Baekhyun protested.

“Let's go.” Chanyeol gently pushed Baekhyun between the shoulders towards the door. 

After a thirty minute car ride, they arrived at a fancy gallery. Large windows wrapped around the building and the door was glass too. The city was reflected against the windows. As they approached the door, Baekhyun caught a glimpse of his approaching figure and regretted it. He looked like a fool, like he was trying too hard to fit in. He crossed his arms over his chest in attempt to cover up his shirt, but he knew it wouldn't do anything. 

When he stepped inside the gallery, the cold air hit his skin. He knew he should've brought a jacket, but it was too late now. The only thing left to do was shiver and it up. Around him, professional people milled around and observed photographs larger than Baekhyun and small prints. Already Chanyeol was being greeted by almost everyone they passed. 

“Hey, Chanyeol!” An American man walked towards them. He had light brown hair that was slicked back with gel. On his face was a pair of large, circular glasses. He wore a suit like Chanyeol, and Baekhyun suddenly felt out of place. Everyone around him was wearing a suit and he was the only one in more casual wear. 

“Hi, Jack. Jack, this is Baekhyun. Baekhyun, Jack.” Chanyeol motioned to the American. 

“Hello,” Baekhyun said and tentatively took Jack’s outstretched hand. Jack squeezed his hand with a firm grip and gave it a shake. 

“Pleasure, Baekhyun. It's great to finally meet you in person. Chanyeol babbles a lot about you.” Jack smiled and Baekhyun forced an awkward smile. 

“Oh, really?”

“Often, actually, and he said --”

Chanyeol interrupted Jack with a loud laugh. He patted Jack’s shoulder. Then he fell silent. 

Jack coughed and continued, “Why don't we get some refreshments? They're just in this room.” He turned around and Baekhyun and Chanyeol followed. 

Baekhyun glanced over at Chanyeol who had a stoic expression. He so badly wanted to know what Chanyeol said about him. The fact that he was being talked about by Mr. How-Are-You-So-Perfect was a miracle in and of itself. He hoped it was nothing bad. Chanyeol didn't seem like the person to talk smack about others, but Baekhyun knew he shouldn't make assumptions. He had before, and it only ended in disappointment. 

As they walked, Baekhyun felt Chanyeol bump his shoulder gently. He looked up and was on the receiving end of Chanyeol’s upturned lips into a kind smile. Oh gosh, Baekhyun thought, and trained his eyes back onto the floor. There was even an eye smile to accompany the lips. He couldn't help but think about how gorgeous Chanyeol was without even trying. It almost made Baekhyun believe that being flawless was effortless, but he knew better. He had been trying for god knows how long. A strange feeling in his chest flared up and his breathing became labored. This caused him to pause for a moment and calm himself. Chanyeol stopped and looked at him. 

“You okay?” Chanyeol asked. 

No. 

“Yeah, I'm fine.”

That was a fat lie. 

“Good. Ready to go?”

Don't be a gentleman, not now.

“Yeah.”

Baekhyun walked onwards and Chanyeol shortly followed. He didn't want Chanyeol to walk behind him. He felt even more self conscious than before. The moment he had just then, where his breathing sped up and it felt like the whole world was spinning for a split second, he knew exactly why he had it. It was the moment he realized that maybe, just maybe, he had a small crush on Chanyeol. Keyword: maybe.

The moment they reached the refreshments table, Chanyeol was immediately swarmed with men dressed in business suits and women with beautiful dresses on. Baekhyun was, quite rudely, shoved aside where his back bumped the table. A cup that was sitting precariously on the edge spilled over and Baekhyun felt his back become wet. He spun around and watched the cup clatter to the floor and liquid dripped from the table. Immediately, his head whipped to Chanyeol, but he was still engrossed in a conversation with a woman in a tight dress. He saw Chanyeol throw his head back and release a hearty guffaw to the ceiling. Instantly, Baekhyun felt jealousy and he tried desperately to quell the sensation that was growing inside. 

He walked away from the table and made his way towards the bathrooms that were on the opposite side of the room. He stumbled into the men’s bathroom and walked to the sink. His hands gripped the edges and he stared at his reflection into the mirror. All he saw was a pathetic thing that was trying too hard to fit in with a crowd that didn't want him. He touched the top of his gelled hair, careful not to mess it up. Then, in a sudden burst of anger, he shoved his fingers through his hair and ruined its previously perfect shape. Stray hairs stuck up in the air and others fell in his face. He felt like crying, but his eyes were as dry as deserts and all he could do was groan in frustration. 

Suddenly the door opened and through the mirror, Baekhyun watched Chanyeol walk in. When Chanyeol saw the state Baekhyun was in, he rushed over and grabbed his shoulders. Concern filled his eyes and covered his face. 

“Baekhyun, what happened? What's wrong? Your back is all wet and your hair is a mess.” Chanyeol breathed. 

“Oh, uh, I just spilled a drink on myself. I'm fine.”

“When I saw you weren't at the table or in the room, I thought you had left. Then Jack told me he saw you come in here. He said you looked unhappy.”

“I'm really fine.” Baekhyun mumbled. He refused to look Chanyeol in the eyes. 

Chanyeol sighed and hugged Baekhyun. “Do you want to go home?”

“No, I'm really fine. You have things you have to do here, people to talk to. I can wait.” Baekhyun put his hands tentatively on Chanyeol’s back. He quickly took them off and pressed against Chanyeol’s chest, breaking the hug. 

Chanyeol shook his head. “I don't have to be here, especially if you're not doing well. I see all these people at other events. C’mon, let's go.” He put his hand between Baekhyun's shoulder blades and led him out of the bathroom. As they went out, Jack approached them and Chanyeol explained that Baekhyun wasn't doing too well and needed to get home. Jack nodded, shook hands with Baekhyun, and the two left the building. 

The car ride back was silent, save for the noises outside. Baekhyun leaned against the window and watched the lights streak past as they drove onto the highway. He clasped his hands tightly in his lap and closed his eyes. Exhaustion washed over him and he shifted his seat to be a little more comfortable. As he did so, he felt a warm hand brush his, hesitantly at first, but then it came to rest on his clenched hands. It was firm and sure, as if it were the only thing anchoring Baekhyun to reality. His muscles relaxed and the grip his hands had on each other loosened. As he slipped off into dreamland, he felt Chanyeol’s hand take his left and give it a squeeze. 

For a short bit, Baekhyun dreamed Chanyeol was talking to him, but he couldn't hear anything. It looked like a serious subject. Chanyeol seemed uncomfortable and was fidgeting around a mug with tea. They were sitting on the couch in Baekhyun’s apartment. The cat sat between them, purring softly, and Baekhyun was petting it with his left hand. Then, Chanyeol reached for Baekhyun’s hand, but Baekhyun woke up before he figured out with the taller could've possibly been doing. He opened his eyes with a groan and found himself being nudged by Chanyeol. He clasped his left hand, feeling a bit disappointed about the lack of warmth. 

Baekhyun vaguely remembered walking to his apartment, being led by Chanyeol, and into bed. He was still half asleep as he did this. Through blurry eyes, he saw Chanyeol lean in close. His heart thumped wildly in his chest and suddenly he was no longer tired, but he didn't want to ruin the moment. Instead, he pretended he was asleep. Chanyeol’s lip brushed his ear and he whispered a soft, “Goodnight, Baekhyun.” Then, the warmth was gone, followed by the door closing with a soft click. After that, Baekhyun stayed up, staring at the ceiling. A blush had spread itself across his cheeks and he replayed the whole scene, from the car to then, in his head. It made him giddy with joy. Eventually, his eyelids began to droop again, and he slipped into a deep sleep.