Bunny Rabbit

Orange Peels

[JIMIN]

 

My hatred for bread causes me to rely on cereal for my daily breakfast. Which cause on mornings when I just happen to wake up late (like this one), I tend to neglect the cereal bowl as I rush and do everything else to get ready. Let me tell you, soggy cornflakes are not my cup of tea. 

It's always a race against the clock with Mrs. Jung. As soon as there's no response from the student she names during her absence calls, it's a crimson red cross on her sheet, even when said student arrives a minute later. More than three of those crosses means bye-bye to an A on the subject, Which I can't afford to get, being the top student and all. Full marks in all the subjects I've taken so far I can't lose it all only cause I'm two seconds late. 

"Mr. Park Jim—" 

"PRESENT!" I barge in the door on time, all eyes dart towards me. 

Mrs. Jung lowers her glasses and glares at me, eyeing me from top to bottom in disbelief. She turns back to her list and let out a sigh as she put a tick next to my name.

"We all know who you are, but even you need to know basic discipline." She comments sternly as I ascend up the steps to my seat. I briefly thought of saying something witty back at her, but hearing her tone made me keep it in. Mrs. Jung isn't actually one of those murderous teachers, we're actually pretty close. She trusts me most with working by her side, but I often refuse if it's a serious case or something of the sort. Don't make me tell you why.

Usually they day just go dull after Mrs. Jung's class. A few other classes then it's back to doing assignments or just studying in general. I won't say it isn't hectic, cause come on, whose university life isn't filled with stress? Especially when you have parents that expect so much from you since you’ve been getting straight A’s since middle school. Somehow parents just don’t understand that being smart when you’re twelve and staying smart until you’re above twenty is hard work.  

 

At noon, as I eat lunch with a few batch-mates, I get a text from Taehyung, saying he needs help with some math problems.

Taehyung is my younger cousin who’s family is the only one living in Seoul among the rest of my relatives. Their family moved from Daegu when he had just finished sixth grade, I was just entering high school at that time. When I got into law school, it required me to move to the city, and what do you know, my campus turned out to be within walking distance from Taehyung’s high school.

Taehyung and his family already knew who I was before I even set foot in Seoul. Well, not to brag but everyone in my family line knows who I am. Mom and Dad are the infamous duo who’re both in the “Top Ten Most Successful Lawyers of South Korea”, me being the child of them itself would boost my popularity within my family. Aside from that, doing well in studies and having Mom constantly post my achievements and such on her Facebook page (yes, she still uses Facebook) is a bonus.

Taehyung was the first to show me around town and to teach me how things worked around here. From those days we got along really well since both he and I were the type to be outgoing, so things weren’t really awkward. Taehyung knew I was a kid who got good grades and such, so he asked me to teach him something he didn't quite understand one day. From then on, he just comes to me whenever he needs help. I never really mind though, since his subjects are things I can still understand (they’re not things that delve into the South Korean Constitution and their devilish articles.)

Anyways, I text Taehyung back, saying that I would be free this evening. He then replies again, saying he’d be at my dorm at around seven.

 

I arrive at my dorm at around three. My dorm isn’t really far from my university. It’s within biking distance, at least. It’s a lot closer to the station, though. It’s convenient really.

Yoongi, my roommate, isn’t here at this hour, as usual. His classes often start in the afternoon and his day ends at around six to eight at night. Despite that, we’re actually pretty close, if you could put it that way. Yoongi’s a pretty low-key person, and I’m quite the opposite, yet we get along well. He’s in charge of the laundry, and I’m in charge of the cleaning (which benefits me since we both are naturally neat.)

I place my backpack against the bookshelf near my bed, and then proceed to take a shirt from the closet and change into something a bit more comfortable. I figure I still have some time off till Taehyung comes over, and I don’t really have anything due tomorrow, so I decide to do what I always do in my free time. No, it’s not watching .

I take out my paintbrushes and watercolor that’s been sitting inside my desk drawer, untouched for nearly an entire week now. I simply love painting and drawing, and visual art in general. I love being able to convey how I feel or what’s inside my head through the I make with my brush. Though, it often doesn’t contain much deep meaning, simply to kill time and boredom, yet it still excites me to learn new techniques and experiment with colors and different brushes. Okay, I sound so geeky. Point is I love art.

As I’m about to start sketching, the doorbell rings. I half-wondered who it could be, but then I figure that it’s Taehyung. I guess he decided to come right after school. I stand up and shuffle my way to the front door, partially annoyed by the fact that I had to stop drawing right when I was about to start.

 

I open the door to find not one, but two boys in high school uniforms.

 

One can be obviously identified as my cousin, eating a bag of chips and on his fingers for the flavor residues. On the other hand, the boy standing next to him is someone whom I definitely have not met before. He has huge, wide eyes and white skin nearly as pale as Yoongi’s. His hair iss dark brown and couldn’t be messy if it tried to be. Oh, and he’s very visibly nervous, for some reason. Though I must say he is extremely adorable, to say the least.

“Who’s this?” I ask Taehyung simply out of curiosity. Since, well, he never mentioned anything about bringing someone else. But it seems my question only made the boy more flustered than before, guilty even.

“A friend,” he answers. No , Sherlock. I was thinking more like, his name, maybe? Thanks Taehyung. I also learn that apparently this friend needs help in studies, which is why he’s here. I see why he seems guilty, but I never would have expected him to do a full ninety-degree bow just to apologize for coming uninvited.

“It’s alright,” I can’t help but giggle at his action. “I don’t mind at all.” Somehow this kid can’t stop looking at the ground, searching for something, anything that would make his nervousness disappear. He’s jittery about every little thing he does, even when he gives out his own name. I can’t say it doesn’t add to his cuteness though, cause come on, look at those pouty lips getting in by those bunny teeth. 

“J-Jeon Ju-Jungkook,” he stutters. He avoids my eyes when I introduce myself and shake his hand. I wonder if he’s like this with Taehyung too. Or is it because it’s me? Is it the way I approached him? Was it too much?

“D-did I do something wrong…?” I ask Taehyung and Jungkook only dips his head further, making me even more worried.

“Nope, he’s just shy.” Right, of course. Well, I guess some people are a lot less outgoing than others. I mean it’s not like I haven’t experienced that, I have Yoongi as a roommate for Christ sake. Though, Yoongi’s more anti-social than shy. Which makes him a lot less cute, too. So ha, Jungkook gets the upper hand here. Plus, Taehyung says he’ll be a lot more open once we spend more time together.

I finally invite them inside and they step into the somewhat neat little compartment I call our dorm. I tell them to wait in our room, sitting round the small coffee table sitting in front of the bookshelf. Yoongi and I usually use this table when our desks are too full to study in, or in my case, when Taehyung comes over to study since my desk basically only allows one person. With the coffee table, we just sit on the floor encircling it, which makes it easier to work in groups. I quickly clean up my desk by putting in the yet again unused watercolors back in the desk drawer and draining the water that was meant to be for the paint down the sink in the bathroom. I then proceed to get drinks for the two boys, which turns out to be only water since I couldn’t find anything else. Yoongi and I don’t drink much of anything else except milk in the mornings and the occasional beer. Yoongi goes out for coffee a lot but barely brews some on his own.

I ask Jungkook how he got to know Taehyung, since it sort of baffled me how someone so seemingly timid was able to be friends with one of the loudest person I know. Right before he answers, Taehyung butts in by telling us some random story about aliens. I can’t say I’m surprised by it, and apparently neither is Jungkook from the looks of it.

“I see we’re both used to Taehyung’s unusual blabbers,” I say to Jungkook, rolling my eyes. To which he reacted by giggling shyly, hiding it behind his palm. He looks exactly like a bunny rabbit. Literally so cute I can’t help but stare. He then tells me that they’ve been friends from middle school, so they’re pretty much tight. I wonder how much he talks when he’s with Taehyung. I wonder if he’s still this cute even when he isn’t shy. I wonder if he has girls who follow him around at school. I know Taehyung does. With that face I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a hundred gifts per day along with multiple fan girls offering to carry his things for him even if he only has a Snickers bar in his hands.

“Should we get started?” I ask, and then Taehyung takes out his textbook to show what he’s been confused about. As I explain the formulas and theorems to Taehyung, I realize that Jungkook has diverted his gaze, as well as his attention, elsewhere. If I was that dense I would have been worried that it was my fault for being too boring to listen to, but the expression on his face tells me he’s having a hard time comprehending.

I ask him if he understands, and he hesitates before he picked his head up, seemingly wanting to nod if it isn’t for Taehyung staring him down. He drops his head again and his cheeks get bright red as he shakes his head from left to right. As adorable this kid may be, I could tell his shyness isn’t something he’s so proud about.

“It’s alright, let’s go over it again,” I say, going back to the textbook and teaching the formulas again. “So first of all, you know this formula, right?” Not right. Okay, I kind of understand now. The anxiety, the jitters, the guilt, the nervousness, I’m starting to get why now.

“S-sorry, I’m just a burden.” The way he apologizes for making me teach him from the basics, to call himself a burden even, just breaks my heart in more ways than one. I want to say that I don’t mind teaching him from the beginning, and that it’s okay not to be as smart as Taehyung, who understands a concept nearly as quick as it is taught (though he lacks in doing so when it comes to a teacher, which is why he comes to me often.) I just, want to find a way to ease this kid, tell him everything’s all right. I do so by patting his back, reminding him that people have different learning capabilities and that I wouldn’t mind teaching him from whatever level he’s in because it’s what he came to me for. It’s what I’m here for.

He seems to have agreed with what I had told him, as he picks up his head once again and gives me a small nod. Then the both of us study the relatively basic rules of trigonometry for the next two hours. I could tell Jungkook was still hesitant in the beginning, apologizing when he makes minor or silly mistakes, but I he loosens up later on. I teach him in a slow pace, not continuing before he gets the concept flawlessly correct. After a while Jungkook seems to be doing okay. He’s working hard and he’s started to get the hang of it.

 

“Thank you for having me, Jimin hyung,” he says as he stands in front of my door, ready to be done for the day. He then bows formally to me, which earned him a light slap from Taehyung. Adorable. “It was great being taught by you. I felt like I could understand things a whole lot easier.”

“Then why don’t you come back? I’d love to teach you some more,” I say. I actually really do. He told me he has troubles in quite a few subjects when I asked him why he was looking for a tutor, and if he says he likes my teaching then why does he need to look further?

“A-are you sure hyung…?” he stutters, reluctant to take my offer.

“Of course,” I smile to assure him. “You can come any, or even every, weekend to come study with me for any subject that you lack in.” I say as I recall Taehyung doing the same thing no more than two months ago before his end of the year exam. Taehyung agrees with this, and persuades Jungkook to accept my offer.

“It’s okay, Kookie,” he says, slinging his arm around the timid boy’s shoulder.

 

Kookie.

Even his nickname is adorable.

 

“He really wouldn’t mind teaching you.” Hearing this only made me release a small fit of laughter. I can’t believe that’s what he’s still worried about! I assure him once again that I’m genuinely okay with teaching him, and that he has absolutely nothing to worry about.

“Y-you sure, hyung?” he asks one last time.

“Absolutely,” I say firmly, smiling at him.

He then thanks me again and does yet another complete bow, gaining another slap from Taehyung beside him. He pouts as he protests on how it hurts, and they argue about it as they walk away from my compartment.

 

Bunny rabbit.