Pearly Whites

Orange Peels

[JUNGKOOK]

 

 Chewing on my pencil never helped during exams. Neither did “eenie-meenie-miney-mo” on multiple-choice answers, but that doesn’t stop me from doing so. I mean, what else is there for dumb kids like me to do? We sort of study, we sort of work hard. Well, we try, at least, but we can’t get it. Last night, I went through the pages of the French Revolution on my history book, and halfway through, my mind suggested, “Let’s watch anime instead, it’s more interesting than this crap,” and I agreed with it.

 My teachers are so done with me, so are my parents, and to be honest, so am I. My parents used to scold me every time they see a C my report card, telling me that I won’t ever get a proper university or job in the future and practically be homeless. But as the years go by, they’re just glad that I’m barely able to pass. I used to let their parental lectures get to me and feel all guilty about it and promise myself to do better the next time around, and I still do. Yet, after a month or so, my resolve always seems to fade and I end up procrastinating too much all over again and everything’s just a huge cycle.

 Anyways, after a few days, the results for this class test came out. Mr. Kim calls out our names to hand out the papers. He, much like the majority of the teacher community, always has a big, toothy grin that’s more blinding than the sun whenever he calls out the kids who got really high or perfect scores, and tend to call the names of low scorers like me in a quick, fast-paced manner, as if he didn’t want to admit we were ever in his classroom. He didn’t even spare a glance at me when he gave (more like flicked) me my paper.

65/100

Well, at least I didn’t fail.

 

-----

 I walk home with Taehyung, my best friend since junior high school, as I do every day.

 I first met him in early seventh grade, as our parents were apparently close with each other since they were childhood friends as well. It was just that their family lived in Daegu since Taehyung was born and stayed there until they moved to Seoul when Taehyung had turned thirteen. My parents were the first to show their family around town, and I of course had to be dragged along since they insisted that I meet Taehyung. It was weird how fast we became friends, since I’m not usually that social with people. Maybe it was because Taehyung is outgoing and speaks a lot so it saved me from being the one asking a lot of questions. In all honesty, I’m not anti-social due to the fact that I dislike talking to people, I love to, but I’m just kind of timid the first time around and I’m no good starting conversations that’s all. Even though some kids have tried talking to me and befriending me, it doesn’t really go far. What can I say? I’m a pretty boring person. Which is why I said it was weird how Taehyung and I got along real quick. We didn’t even have much in common. “Opposites attract”, huh?

 As we walk home, Taehyung asks about my recent test results.

 “Man, that kinda ,” he says as he put his hands behind his neck and blow bubbles from his gum.

 “At least I passed,” I shrug, not sparing him a glance. “Plus, it’s only a class test. Nothing huge.”

 “You know, with that kind of thinking, you’ll never be able to get better.” Taehyung retorts with a yawn. I side-eye him.

 Taehyung is the type of guy who messes around a lot, yet gets really good grades. He studies for thirty minutes each day and the rest of the time he’d either be browsing on his laptop or playing video games on the multiple consoles he has in his house. Despite that, he still gets nothing but A’s on his report card. I don’t get how some people are just naturally smart like that. I mean, how is that even fair? Is there some kind of cheat code or something? I want smart genes implanted in me too. That way I won’t even have to worry when I waste too much time on practically useless entertainment.

 “Easy for you to say,” I spit out and roll my eyes. Taehyung laughs at my salty response and wraps his arm around my shoulder, making me stumble a little.

 “I’m sorry okay? I didn’t mean it like that,” he says as he teasingly pinches my cheeks like a child. I do nothing but look the other way. I’m not actually mad at him, and he knows this too. When you’ve been best friends with someone for over three years, it isn’t hard to get the picture. “Look, I’ll treat you a snack okay? Anything you want, let’s head over to a convenience store.”

 “Deal.” I agree almost immediately, smirking at him. Making him smack me on the head.

 

 After leaving the convenience store with two ice creams and a bag of chips, we continue our way to the station. My house isn't far at all from school, like, three stations away. Taehyung lives five stations farther. Though that too isn't that far away from me, so I come over to his place a lot during the weekends.

 "Hey, about your grades," Taehyung starts, taking a bite from his ice cream cone.

 "What? I thought we finished talking about this topic," I blow him off, annoyed.

 "I know, but come on, Jungkook. You're my best friend, I just want to give suggestions because I care about you," he goes on. I release a huge breath and roll my eyes, lolling my head back in the process. 

 "Sap," I spit out. "Fine, what is it?"

 "I was wondering, you don't have a tutor, do you?" asks Taehyung.

 "Nope," I reply. "My dad has been thinking about it, but you know how...busy he's been." 

 "I see," Taehyung looks away, understanding my context. "Well, I have someone I usually go to when I need help with studies."

 "That cousin of yours? The one who you said was Einstein himself?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. Apparently Taehyung says that he has a cousin who lives around here who goes to law school. He says that his cousin is known to be one of the smartest, most overachieving child in the entire family tree. He tells me that even though his major is Law, he can help in practically any subject. Be it physics, chemistry, maths, you name it. This made me wonder just how all-knowing he is, considering Taehyung himself being undeniably smart. 

 "Yep," Taehyung replies. "He doesn't live far from here, it's within walking distance. I was actually planning to go there later today, do you want to come with?" 

 "M-me? Are you sure it would be okay? I mean, he's you're cousin and I don't know him at all...," I stutter reluctantly. 

 "It's fine, he's really easy-going. He won't mind at all, trust me," he answers. "So, how about it? At least try coming just this once?"

 I thought about it for a minute. I mean, I do really need to step up my game in my grades, and I know I can't do that alone. Dad's been looking for a tutor anyway, so maybe if I told him about this, it'd lessen the stresses he's been having. I guess this wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. 

 "Alright, I'll try it out," I tell him, "I've been curious about this god-like cousin of yours anyway." 

 "Great!" he cheered, then suddenly grabs my arm and yanks me to a different direction, stumbling my body with my torso nearly colliding with my knees. 

 "Right now?" I release his grip off me. "I thought you said later?" 

 "Well it is just a few hundred meters away from here, and now that I'm going with you I don't feel that lazy anymore," he says. "Come with?"

 Taehyung grins from ear to ear in a way he always does when he wants me to go along with his plans and decisions. This expression stays tillI finally give in. And trust me, even though his teeth may be blinding, having this face stare at you nonstop kinda becomes an eyesore.

 "Fine," I groan, rolling my eyes in the process. I start walking wherever direction Taehyung is, but within a few steps he stops and gives me a look. I raise my eyebrow, questioning what the problem is. 

 "You're not gonna let your parents know you'll be home late?" he finally asks. I glare at him, then let out a sigh and continue walking. 

 "You know how my parents are," I say in a quiet voice, avoiding his eyes.

 "W-well, yeah but you know, they might be worried..." he avoids my eyes as well, knowing it's a stupid thing to utter. 

 “It’s fine,” I say sharply, turning away from Taehyung. “They won’t worry.”

 Taehyung looked at his shoes, seemingly guilty of what he just let slip. Regretting what he had mentioned. I honestly didn’t mind that much though, I understand what he’s trying to say and how honestly he’s just simply concerned. Although, I would rather not talk about the topic and he’s very much aware of that too.

 “Sorry,” he muttered.

 

 “It’s fine.”

 

---

 

 We arrive to Taehyung’s cousin’s dorm after no more than fifteen minutes of walking. I’m quite jittery and at unease as I am awfully shy around new people. Taehyung rings the doorbell once, telling me to calm down and relax after seeing my state. It didn’t work so much since my eyes dart all around the area while my fingers fumble with each other as we both hear the sound of shuffling footsteps come closer followed by a click of the lock before the door swings open.

 The person standing in the doorway couldn’t me more than a little over a hundred and seventy centimeters tall. Even Taehyung probably beat this guy’s height. His appearance is accompanied by a messy tousle of dark brown hair sitting at the top of his head and two small, slanted eyes that are looking at us from behind a pair of square glasses. He looks surprised to see both of us, since Taehyung said that he would be over a little later. He’s also surprised to see me, because apparently Taehyung didn’t mention this to him either.

 “Who’s this?” he asks Taehyung. I lower my gaze and bit my lip, feeling guilty for coming uninvited.

 “A friend,” Taehyung replies. “He’s been looking for a tutor recently, and I told him that I usually go to you for help in studies, so I invited him today. I hope you don’t mind.”

 I bow my head in a full ninety-degrees and swallow thickly before hesitantly meeting his eyes. “Sorry for intruding...”

 “It’s alright,” he giggles, blaring his pearly whites. “I don’t mind at all.”

 “T-thank you…” I say in a quiet voice. I’m way too shy for my own good.

 “Oh come on, you don’t need to thank me,” he giggles yet again. This person seems to be extremely cheerful. But, it’s not in a sense that it annoys me. I can see how he’s related to Taehyung. “What’s your name?”

 “J-Jeon Ju-Jungkook…” I stutter, swallowing yet another wad of saliva to wash down my embarrassment. I hate how I can’t just put myself out there with new people. I’m literally just giving his my damn name.

 “Nice to meet you, Jungkook,” he smiles then takes out his hand. “I’m Park Jimin.”

 

 Park Jimin.

 The name of a genius.

 

 I take his hand and shake it. Nodding once and avoiding his eyes as he mutters a “Nice to meet you!” He looks at Taehyung, seemingly questioning my behavior.

 “D-did I do something wrong…?” I hear him say, and I swear I feel like burying myself ten feet under.

 “Nope, he’s just extremely shy,” replies Taehyung calmly, slinging his arm around my neck. I puff my cheek at him and give him a look. Jimin laughs at this and says I can just relax around him, which only increases my self consciousness and redden even more. Curse my social abilities.

 “It’s okay, he’ll loosen up a lot more once you spend more time with him.” Taehyung says reassuringly.

 “Well then, I’ll be looking forward to that,” Jimin responds with the same smile. This person smiles an awful lot. He must really be proud of his teeth. I can see why, I mean, if I had those pearly whites, I would probably laugh at anything and smile at random strangers for the sake of it. Or would I? I’d probably be too shy. “For now, why don’t we continue this inside?” He then holds the door open for the both of us and we step in quietly.

 The dorm is an off-campus dorm, and I gotta say it’s pretty big. It has a bedroom, a small kitchen, and a bathroom.

 “My roommate’s not here at the moment, so just make yourself comfortable here,” Jimin says as leads us to the bedroom. The room has two beds, one on each end of the room. The areas marking who’s who is quite clearly distinguishable, one side has a lot of posters of western hip-hop artists, while the other has an entire wall filled with drawings and paintings on sketchbook paper. I watch as Jimin walks over to his side of the room to find out which of the two he is.

 

 So on aside from being the smartest kid in the family tree, he’s an artist too?

 Just how multitalented is this guy?

 

 We sit around a round table near Jimin’s bed and settle down as Jimin went off to get drinks for us. This gives me time to look around a little more as my eyes scan the entire room. There may be two halves that divide the individuals living there, but oddly the furniture is set so symmetrically they literally just copy-pasted one half onto the other. It was like seeing the kind of room you’d make in “The Sims”.

 “He paints too?” I whisper to Taehyung, staring at the immense amount of colors on his wall.

 “Only when he doesn’t have his head buried in a textbook,” he replies, heaving a sigh. “We don’t call him the best in the family for nothing.”

 We stop our conversation as Jimin re-enters the room, balancing three glasses of water in his hands.

 “Sorry, we don’t really have anything much since we don’t drink much of anything else other than water,” Jimin grins with his eyebrows scrunched on the top of his forehead apologetically as he places the glasses down. I shake my head, saying it isn’t a problem at all before taking a glass for myself. “So, Jungkook, are you Taehyung’s classmate?”

 “Ah, no I’m not,” I reply, wiping the sides of my mouth with my sleeve. “I’m in the class next to him.”

 “I see,” he says, then takes a notebook out of his backpack that was resting against the bookshelf next to us. I do the same. “So, how’d you get to know him?”

 “A Martian descended to earth in front of me in an alley one day after school, and right when it was about to devour my head, Jungkookie here came along like a knight in shining armor and stabbed the alien in between his eyes with his umbrella! From then on we became great friends because he literally saved my life,” Taehyung in all of a sudden. Jimin and I just sort of stared at him, not even acting to look surprised or weirded-out. Jimin turns his head to me and sighs.

 “I see we’re both used to Taehyung’s unusual blabbers,” he rolls his eyes and rests his head on his chin. I laugh a little at the statement, eyeing Taehyung who responds by scoffing at the elder. “So, what’s your answer?”

 “Our parents are friends with each other and we met in seventh grade,” I reply in a soft, barely audible voice. At least I didn’t stutter. Such great improvement, Jungkook.

 “My version’s better,” Taehyung protests. “He had a killer flying-kick pose.” But Jimin just rolls his eyes once again.

 “Well, should we get started?” Jimin asks before telling Taehyung to get his notebook out like I had done. “What are we studying today?”

 “I need some help on some math formulas I didn’t get in class,” Taehyung says, turning the pages in his textbook. I follow what he does. Jimin examines the textbook and almost immediately recalls what they are and starts explaining the terms to him. I stare at the both of them, trying to catch up with what they’re talking about, but fail miserably as expected. I feel like such a dimwit it’s actually starting to get to me. Adding more to my embarrassment, Jimin catches me staring blankly at my notebook, being unattentive.

 “Do you understand what I’ve explained, Jungkook?” he asks, and I don’t dare to look up at him. I’m way too embarrassed to say I didn’t. I don’t want to be more of a burden to him by being the slowest in the group. I don’t want to hold them back from progressing just because I’m the only one who can’t understand.

 I raise my head, ready to lie and nod at him, but I was met with Taehyung’s glare. His eyebrow’s raised as if to challenge me and say, “Try me.” I purse my lips before dropping my head once again and subtly shook it, cheeks probably red from shame.

 “Okay, let’s go over it again,” Jimin says, borrowing Taehyung’s textbook and showing me what theorems they were talking about. “So first of all, you know this formula, right?” he writes something down on his notebook. I know it isn’t supposed to be foreign, judging by his question, but I honestly had no idea what he wrote on that piece of paper. I avoid his eyes and shake my head once again, feeling even more ashamed I wish I would just disappear. I don’t even know the basics. How mortifying.

 “Ah, okay then, let’s just start from the beginning,” he tells me, flipping through the textbook again to reach the beginning of the chapter.

 “S-sorry…” I stutter in a small, timid voice. He probably thinks I’m an idiot. Well I am. I’m probably just wasting his precious time. I should have never agreed to come here. “I-I’m just a burden…”

 “Hey, that’s alright,” Jimin says. “People have different capabilities, so it’s fine.” He reaches out to give me a pat on the back, but I’m still scared to look up. “Plus, I don’t mind teaching things to you. I would re-teach them again if I need to, because it’s what you came to me for. And what could you learn if you claim to understand the things that you don’t?”

 I finally decide to raise my head reluctantly and look at him slowly, and find him already smiling back at me. I eye him for a bit, thinking his words through and decide they were right. I came here to be tutored and to actually learn something. It’ll get me nowhere if I just keep feeling guilty about it and whine like a little brat. It’ll burden him even more. He then ushers me to scoot closer to him and from there begins again with his teaching.

 

 The next two and a half hours are spent with Jimin teaching me relatively basic trigonometric formulas while Taehyung does his homework, asking the elder for help in some questions. At first I felt extremely stupid and brainless and unworthy of being in the same room as these two people who’s brains could probably outmatch Stephen Hawking when combined. (Okay, that’s an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.) But Jimin teaches me so patiently and thoroughly, only moving on after doing so many example questions that the formulas were memorized outside my head. I really like the way he’s teaching me. Somehow the way he does it just makes me understand things a whole lot quicker. Despite that, I still can’t help wondering whether Jimin is actually bothered, annoyed even, by having to teach such elementary topics. I wonder if he’s gonna ever going to want me to come again. I would completely understand if he doesn’t.

 

 But he does.

 

 He says so, right before Taehyung and I leave the dorm to go home.

 “It was fun having you around today, Jungkook,” he says, beaming as he leans against the arc of the front door.

 “Thank you for having me, Jimin hyung,” I bow, and then got slapped by Taehyung on the back for being needlessly formal, which made Jimin giggle in amusement. “It was great being taught by you. I felt like I could understand things a whole lot easier.”

 “Then why don’t you come back again?” he offers. “I’d love to teach you some more.”

 “A-are you sure?” I ask reluctantly, not sure if I should possibly burden him even more.

 “Of course!” he grins. “You can come on weekends, any, or even every, to come study with me for any subject you’re lacking in.”

 “That’s actually a good idea, Kookie,” Taehyung says. “I used to do that too last year a few weeks before our final exam.”

 I shrug at the both of them, not really sure of what I should decide. I do think that I need to be tutored, but at the same time, since Jimin isn’t an actual teacher, not to mention is a student himself, I can’t help but think it would be bothersome for him.

 “It’s okay, Kookie,” Taehyung reads my mind, then slings an arm around my neck and gives me a slight noogie, “he really wouldn’t mind tutoring you.” Hearing this made Jimin release a hearty laugh, in a way that I nearly saw his eyes disappear.

 “You’re still worried about that?” Jimin asks with the remains of his laughter. “I’m telling you, it’s alright, really. I’d love to tutor you.”

 “Y-you sure, hyung?” I double check, low-key giving him the chance to change his mind for the last time.

 “Absolutely.”

 Well, there goes his chance.

 “O-okay… Thank you so much, Jimin hyung,” I say and bow once again only to be hit by Taehyung the in same way. And in the same way as well, Jimin began to laugh.

 

 He must really love his teeth.