One

Alone

-Flashback, age 6-

 

It was a scene out of a normal life. A young Nari was running around the park with her parents right behind her. Those were the days when a child could be truly happy without any care in the world.

 

Nari loved playing outdoors. She didn't know it then, but that would be one of the last few times she would ever be happy in her childhood.

 

-Present day, age 17-

 

"Wake up miss. You surely don't want to be late to class, do you?" The woman on the other side of the door woke up the young lady who had been sleeping soundly minutes prior. With a heavy sigh and a turn of her head to check the clock, she gets up.

 

"Give me 20 minutes. I'll be out by then." Nari the lamp in her room and regret it instantly as her eyes were not used to the light. "Ugh. I need to stop doing that."

 

She walked over to her closet and took out one of the dozen copies of her school uniform. It consisted of a white shirt and black skirt with a black blazer and black tie. She had a sort of love hate relationship with her uniform as she liked the colors but hated how it looked on her.

 

Nari quickly put on her clothes as well as put her long black hair up in a ponytail. She raced down the stairs, not forgetting to grab her oversized black glasses, and rushed down the hallway towards the front door. She put on her black converse and picked up her backpack as she left her house.

 

She didn't get far before she heard footsteps from behind. "You know, you really shouldn't run after me Yul." "Well it's not my fault you never wait for me in the mornings. We go to the same school and leave the same house in the mornings. Why not wait for me?" "Do you want a list of reasons or a paragraph explaining my reasons?" "Just forget it."

 

The two had known one another for as long as they could remember. Of course, their friendship was never the greatest. Ever since Nari hit adolescence, she distanced herself from Yuri. He didn't know why she became that way, but he wasn't going to pry into her personal life and find out.

 

"Did you finish the math homework assigned to us on Friday?" "Yes I did but I'm not giving you the answers." "Come on. Just a couple answers." "Never." The bickering pair continued on their way towards school until they were a block away.

 

"You go on ahead Yuri. I have something to do before class starts." "Okay. I'll see you back at home then." As Yuri walked towards the school gates, Nari took a sharp turn and went in the opposite direction.

 

She didn't want to be seen with Yuri. It's not that he was the problem, it was being seen with him that was the root of her troubles. You see, Yuri was very popular around school. He was one of the capitains of both the varsity basketball team and the varsity soccer team.

 

Nari was just a girl with a smart brain and an endless supply of money. Of course, she never told anyone about having money so she was just another girl at the bottom of the system in the eyes of the students at her school. She didn't mind being seen at the bottom of the chain. In fact, it took the pressure off her shoulders to be known as a normal person.

 

-

 

"Your homework for the week is to take notes on pages 247 through 285. I expect all of you to study those notes and be prepared to be tested on them next week. That is all for today. Class dismissed."

 

Nari exited her assigned classroom the moment her teacher let the students leave. She enjoyed being in class, but she wanted to be alone on the rooftop of the main building more. Maybe it was the fact that being alone made her feel more comfortable, or maybe it was that she didn't have to worry about anyone getting in the way of her composing songs.

 

Either way, she spent her days on top of the building with a pencil in one hand and an old notebook in the other. Today was no different, except it was. Just as Nari sat down and began writing down her ideas, raindrops began falling. Almost immediately, the brunette took a hold of her things and ran downstairs to try and find another place to write for the day.

 

-

 

The one rule people always say though rarely listen to is to watch where you're going. On this day, Nari wasn't paying as much attention to where she was going and ended up running into someone and falling onto them on the cold floor. This someone wasn't just anyone on campus who would be forgiving and help Nari up, it was the infamous school player named Kim Hyoyeon.

 

Hyoyeon took most of the force of the fall while Nari had landed safely for the most part. Upon realizing what had happened, Nari got up and ran off towards the opposute direction. As she ran, she could faintly hear Hyoyeon spurting out random curse words at her. Of course, the girl didn't care and only continued on her path to find a safe place to be.

 

-

 

It was a good few minutes before Nari stopped running and ended up in an empty classroom on the west side of campus. She had walked by these empty halls before, but only as a means of getting to her class faster. On this particular day, the brunette walked down the hall and stopped next to a staircase which went to the storage room underneath the music room.

 

Just as she was about to walk down the flight of stairs, the bell rang signifying the end of break and the start of another boring class period she didn't ever feel like attending.

 

-

The end of the last class of the day was a bittersweet moment each day for the smart girl. She enjoyed being able to go home after a long day and rest, but the empty house left much to be desired. She missed the days when she'd get home and see her parents in the living room and hear her younger brother in the basement playing the various instruments down there. Sadly, those times had passed and there was no way she could turn back the time and savor those precious moments she now yearned for.

 

"Hey you, nerd." Nari turned around at the sound of a person yelling from behind her. She tried to ignore the voice and walk away faster, but she didn't get far enough as a strong hand forcefully turned her around. "When someone asks for your attention. You give it to them."

 

Nari was thankful there weren't any students around her, besides the jerk in front of her, to attract any unwanted stares. "What can I do you for Hyoyeon?" He scoffed and tightened his grip on the girl's clothes. "Well for one you could pay me for having spilled the coffee I was holding that ended up on my shirt. It's ruined because of you." "You honestly expect me to pay? Are you that petty? Just wash it yourself jerk."

 

She didn't know what had gotten into her, but the flow of adrenaline had given her some courage to stand up to the one guy on campus no one dared cross paths with. "Listen here you low class try hard. No one talk to me that way." "Obviously someone should. Now if you don't mind, I have things more important to do so let go of me."

 

The look on Hyoyeon's face read mostly shock. The grip on Nari loosened and she started walking away. She could hear him mumble something under his breath, but chose to brush it off as she didn't want to accumulate more problems.

 

She probably should've stayed a little longer to at least apologize to Hyoyeon, but she chose to be stubborn. Maybe if she had said sorry, she could've prevented the following words from exiting Hyoyeon's mouth. "You'll pay for this. Just wait and see."

 

---

 

Hi guys. Thank you all so much for subscribing to my randomness. Apologies for this /very/ overdue first chapter. Something came up in my life and I had to deal with it. Good news is that it's over and now I can return to what I love doing the most, writing. I'll most likely update this week so expect that very soon. I'd appreciate some feedback from you guys reading. It really makes my day seeing people enjoy my work. Until next time, annyeong :)

 

P.S: happy late birthday to the dancing queen, Kim Hyoyeon ♡

 

-Victoria ♡

[09.23.16 00:57]