Immortal's Song

♡ EXO Oneshots and Drabbles ♡

Character(s): Kim Junmyeon

Rating: G

Warnings: none

Length: 526

Notes: Random universe idea I had. Kinda just threw this snippet together to see how it reads. Locations and the particular species subset Junmyeon is are completely made up.


 

The winds blew his hair about as he stood and looked over the small town of Erduwa. This was where his story had begun. It's almost crazy to think that his birth was nearly five centuries ago.

Five centuries, and he had done so much. He had left, travelled the land mass that was left of this planet, and befriended people everywhere. Some of those people had passed many years ago, and some he knew still had a while left. But his life was to come full circle. What had started in Erduwa, would end in Erduwa. 

He could still remember the joy that had lit the faces of the villagers when they realized that he had been born with the mark of a Vivlaren. Until he had turned eighteen and left Erduwa, the name Kim Junmyeon had been synonymous with Vivlaren. The Vivlaren was a special type of person. Born from an ordinary couple, they were a child with the elemental mark of water emblazoned on their shoulder. Vivlaren lived for six centuries- from birth until death, the dates being the same save for the six hundred years between one and the next.

Kim Junmyeon was the first ever Vivlaren from Erduwa. Now, there was another- a child who would be turning eighteen soon by the name of Jeon Jungkook. He would be spending the last eighteen years of his life in his hometown- the first year of which, he would be quelling young Jungkook's fears of his own impending six century travel.

It was six centuries where he would meet people and develop relationships, and then outlive them as they pass, are buried, and disintegrate into dust. It would never be the easiest job, but Vivlaren were chosen for a reason. They were the only ones who could handle such a task. No one else could take such a mental strain.

The only real down side to it all in the long run, is that you have no say in whether or not you become a Vivlaren. You'really either born to be one, or you're not. Vivlaren live long enough though that tracing down at least one other Vivlaren  (young or old) is no real problem. Not that age matters much for them until their last year of life- that's when the aging that had paused at 21, picks up at an accelerated rate.

Their deaths are all the same- died from old age. An age that would refuse to show or take a toll on their bodies until that final year. So here Junmyeon is, preparing for that year to come. He had eighteen years left. One to crumble under the weight of his age, one to encourage a young Vivlaren, and sixteen to make connections and build a home that would sustain him for his last year.

Today, he is Kim Junmyeon, Vivlaren, aged 582 years- with the same appearance he's had for the last 561 years- traveler extraodinaire; yet come tonight, he would be Junmyeon the Vivlaren, Erduwa's pride and Jungkook's temporary shoulder to lean on. Come next year, he would be just another Erduwan citizen, happily going through the last of his days.