Instinct's Nature

♡ EXO Oneshots and Drabbles ♡

Character(s): Jongin (Kai)

Rating: still pretty G.

Warnings: pathcode!au, and my phone is my current bestie

Length: 677

Notes: TBC?


 

Someone has been following me. I'm not sure how long, all I know is that I'm positive that they are there, I can sense them. I saw a camera pointed my way earlier, but whether that was for me, or the statue I was beneath I couldn't say for sure- but that doesn't change the fact that someone is there.

My stalker aside, I recall very little of my life before I awoke in London all that time ago. I know that there are more of me- like a family, of sorts- I know my names, I know that I have another half (something like a familiar) that I can't seem to reach, and I know I have a power that no one else walking the streets of London has. I know I am human, but not human- and that my skin occasionally feels like there is something beneath trying to break free, but I don't know why. Nor do I understand how I ended up here, nor why I am alone when I have a family of some sort.

Although I can tell you that my stalker has been getting bold, and that I have a feeling their intentions are not for the betterment of people- or at least, me. They're an unsavory character, and it's almost as though darkness is intent on following them. Yet I can't let that distract me. I have to act normal, blend in. Take the tube, follow the stream of people from one location to the next, use a handphone the way a normal person would. 

Since arriving in London my life has been all about the act, the art, of blending in. The bustling streets and blustery days and consistent rainy patterns should assist in my attempts at appearing just as normal as the next guy, but even as I slide between one station and the next, I feel as though whomever is stalking me never leaves my side. They're always there.

Watching.

Waiting.

I don't know what for, as I am careful. I speak their language as necessary, I keep my head down, I use social media to display my latest meal, and the cute puppies I play with on my daily walks- but they are there. I want nothing more than to reach out to my other half. Something tells me that I was never one for the insight, but I had always been more for the action- that same instinct also tells me that I always depended on this other person to be the insight that I lack. Perhaps they would be able to comprehend what my attempts at feeling out are failing.

Granted, I trust my instincts for a reason. These reasons I may not comprehend, especially as they lead me off the beaten path and up a hill in the middle of nowhere. The furthest from central London I've been since my arrival, in all honesty. But I have to trust my instincts- if not, I'd have nothing left. That should be it at this point, really.

It should.

But then I hear it. An exclamation of my name that is barely there. Echoing in the back of my head and sends a surge of something I don't quite understand through my body. I blink and allow a moment of brilliant comprehension flood through me- nothing terribly solid, but a destination is clear.

Opening my eyes, I allow a slight smile to find its place upon my lips as I turn to see my stalker- a shadowy figure that could never hope to blend in outside of the city- edging ever closers to me. I have words for it, as I'm sure anyone would, but now is not the time. I'm needed elsewhere.

I inhale, and the nature that I had been standing amid fades in wispy trails of obscurity. There is nothing for a moment, and then there's a rooftop in the middle of a new city, a clothesline with billowing fabrics behind me and before me, an image that is strikingly familiar.

"Chen?"