The Book in Almaty (Or: The Riddle With the Answers)

♡ EXO Oneshots and Drabbles ♡

Pairing: None, yet?

Rating: ._. G? Maybe slightly PG?

Warnings: Pathcode!au; mentions of past members; Typed on a phone

Length: 740 Words

 


 

There were twelve. There were twelve at the beginning, six from the West- the Knights; and six from the East- the Mages; and never before had a group like us existed before. We all had our own struggles, none completely taking to the fact that what we had before the twelve was gone; this was our family now. But that was normal, it was expected of us, what was not was how we had two mixed bloods in the same set of six.

The Book has told me many things during my time here, and one of those things was that it came to me because I was deemed "most worthy." Worthy of what, it can not- or maybe just will not- tell me. It has told me, in order to be considered one must be half Knight and half Mage by blood. There were two in our set, and the Book says They chose me. I can only assume that They is some sort of Fate or God. The Book has explained little of the Knights, and less of the Mages- but it has said our numbers have dwindled.

It was expected, apparently. Every rotation is anticipated to lose at least two; but the book says we have deviated once more. Every rotation before has lost one Knight, one Mage; and we have lost two- two Mages. It has unbalanced our rotation. The pieces are spinning again, trying to find the right fit; make up for this imbalance, an imbalance that was never meant to happen.

Give it to the Knights.

It's an empty whisper- from where, I know not; but I know the words floated through the air. I'm unaware of having spoken such words, the book is more one to speak through written context- no matter how selective- and a small part of me fears it is They. But could They follow me, when I barely know more? The Book knows me. It knows all of us- even the two that willingly bowed out. It knows, but it will not give me the information I seek. It gives only what I need most- or so it claims.

The title changes. The pages are of aged paper, color faded so that they're less white and more a dim ivory; and the cover is bound in leather, the gold script of the title glinting no matter what degree of light shines on it. Every new rotation, deserves a new title. Why is ours this? I once tried questioning the book, it's response was confusing. It told me to think, and the answer would reveal itself- until then, Overdose glints back at me with a leary promise.

It's a random day, one much alike all the others before it as the Book and I sit on a bench on a rooftop in Almaty. But the words the Book holds are not ones of forgotten memories, or of Knights and Mages I can scarcely recall. They start out normal enough.

There are ten at present, with varying degrees of awareness. Some are blinded, but observant; some are aware- a handful only acutely, compared to the one with Strength; and there is one who is fighting it. They judge the one with Time; they forsee his crimes, even if they could not forsee the departure of the first two, the loss of a third Mage could cripple revolution. The one with Time does not want what They have provided, so They shall take it away. They will keep a close eye on the remaining; especially in the time of Full Power- the Eclipse.

The empty whisper from earlier echoes in my mind again and I snap the Book closed, eyes darting to the sky as it darkens. Today, it's a storm. But the next Eclipse? That's no more than a week away. I had so little time left until then I need the Knight whom acts as a Bridge. But without his opposite, he's harder to reach. He's the only one who can save the one with the Time. The one with the Time can not fall into the clutches of They. There's something in my gut that says if he does, we will not be safe.

It's only as I hear the Book hit the floor beside me as I fall to my knees, a single word- neigh, a name, tumbling from my lips in a strangled cry for help. "Kai!"

I gasp, and the world goes black.