IV. I'll wait for you

Heartstrings

 

It was in the waning hours of Thursday morning when Sehun had stumbled out of his and Minseok's bedroom and went to the kitchen to get some water when he suddenly became more wide awake b what was happening at the dining room table. Flattening himself against the wall, Sehun tilted his head to eavesdrop on the two unsuspecting figures sitting across from each other sharing an open carton of Neapolitan ice cream together, talking in hushed tones.

"Ugh, I feel fat," said YiFan's voice with a groan followed by a spoon clattering gently on the wooden table
"Shut up you're not fat," argued Chanyeol and the clattering of silver being picked up "pick up your spoon and help me."
"I can't eat anymore," sighed YiFan almost whining, "I think I'm now repulsed by the taste of ice cream."

"How can you say that!" demanded Chanyeol instantly appalled "This ice cream has three different flavors Duizhang, three!"
"I can count Chanyeol," sassed YiFan gently
"Here," said Chanyeol suddenly "this has pieces of strawberry in it."

Sehun leaned forward and saw Chanyeol holding up a spoon to his ge's mouth, to his shock his brother leaned across the table with his mouth open, eating the ice cream. His eyes widen when he saw Chanyeol take the spoon away and he place the empty spoon in his own mouth cleaning it before scooping up more of the strawberry part of the carton like it was no big thing that they just had the spoon in their mouths.

"You eat the strawberry flavor," said Chanyeol quietly, presenting the spoon again to YiFan who opened his mouth like a child being fed "I'll eat the vanilla and chocolate flavors."
"You gonna keep feeding me like this?" asked YiFan, eyeing Chanyeol who was digging into the ice cream once again. 
"Only if you feed me too." joked Chanyeol and cried out when YiFan flicked his spoon at him splattering him with the melted treat "Hey!"

 

Sehun couldn't help the silent gasp that escaped his lips as he watched the way his brother smiled openly at Chanyeol when the other started whining while wiping his face off the ice cream. It was the same warm gentle smile he used to receive from his brother when he was younger, a smile full of fondness and love. It had been so long since he had seen that smile, he wasn't even sure if he had actually seen it till he saw that smile reappear moments after the first one. Leaning away from the wall, Sehun turned away from the kitchen and walked back up to his room, listening to Chanyeol and YiFan playfully banter each other till he couldn't hear them anymore. Slipping back into his room, Sehun tiptoed back to the bed and slid back under the covers and stared up at the ceiling thinking about what he had just witnessed. 

Since when did those two get so close with each other?
 



Sehun was walking down the stairs just as he saw Chanyeol and his brother were slipping on their shoes talking amongst themselves as they did so. Blinking curiously at the scene in front of him, Sehun stepped away from the stairs and walked up to them.
 

"Where are you two off to?" he asked casually
 

"Oh hey Sehun," smiled Chanyeol as he slipped on his left shoe "YiFan hyung was taking me to the shopping square so I can buy some souvenirs for my mom and sister."

"He tricked me into taking him," said YiFan under his breath as he adjusted his jacket
 

"I did no such thing!" said Chanyeol raising his arms in protest 
 

"Oh really?" questioned YiFan scowling in disapproval
 

"Hey it's not my fault you at 'rock-paper-scissors'," answered Chanyeol turning his cap around on his head

Sehun glanced between the two as they continued to argue with one another. It wasn't like the way they had behaved days before, they both seemed at ease with each other. Playfully arguing with each other and getting along. As Sehun was pondering the sudden change of heart his brother and friend had with each other, YiFan was opening the door and ushering Chanyeol out the door.

"We'll be back soon." said YiFan over his shoulder as he closed the door before Sehun could say anything more.
 

"Okay." said Sehun to the door.
 

"There you are," said a sweet voice behind him, "what are you doing standing by the door looking lost?"
 

"My brother and Chanyeol left to go shopping," replied Sehun, slowly turning around to face Minseok "together."
 

"What?" asked Minseok surprised
 

"They left together," mumbled Sehun pointing at the door. "When did they get so 'chummy' with each other?"

"Must have been when YiFan went to apologize to Chanyeol the first night," concluded Minseok, nodding his head to himself.

"How do you know that?" asked Sehun staring at his fiance incredulous
 

"I happened to be up getting a glass of water when I saw Chanyeol walk out of your brothers' room. He said that YiFan asked to see him before he went to bed," answered Minseok "Chanyeol said your brother said 'I'm sorry' to him."

"But they are acting like they are best friends," said Sehun bewildered. "I thought I was Chanyeol's best friend." he added with pout
 

"Aw, someone's jealous," teased Minseok with a grin
 



YiFan was folding the new shirts he had bought with Chanyeol in his room when he heard a knock on his door. 
 

"I'm not playing 'rock-paper-scissors' with you again Chanyeol," shouted YiFan to his door, tucking his shirts into his arms and getting up from his bed.
 

"It's me." 
 

YiFan recognized that voice and put his shirts back on his bed before he walked over and opened his door to see Shixun standing on the other side wearing his signature poker face. YiFan stares behind his brother thinking that he would see another person with him, Minseok had a habit of hiding behind his brother's shadow at times.

"What's up?" asked YiFan mirroring the same poker face his brother was giving him.
 

"What's going on with you and Chanyeol?" blurted out Shixun, folding his hands in front of his stomach
 

"I don't know what you mean?" asked YiFan raising an eyebrow confused.

"You guys are going out shopping together," ranted Shixun looking his brother with a curious look "and sharing ice cream-"
 

"Ice cream?" asked YiFan bewildered
 

"I almost walked in on you two last night," explained Shixun "needless to say it was a little weird seeing Chanyeol feed you."
 

YiFan looked a little uncomfortable and cleared his throat before he faced Shixun who was watching him closely trying to figure him out. 

"So?" asked YiFan as nonchalantly as possible
 

"I just want to know what's going on," replied Shixun carefully "I know Chanyeol is easy to get along with, but you guys act like you've been friends all your life."

"I'm just being a nice host is that a crime?" asked YiFan 
 

"I suppose not," shrugged Shixun, "But I'm just a little curious is all."
 

"Curiosity killed the cat Shixun," stated YiFan folding his arms across his chest

"I think Chanyeol has a crush on you." blurted out Shixun looking at his brother closely
 

"Is that what you're worried?" asked YiFan leaning against his door, "A friend of yours having a crush on your older brother?"

"You're okay with that?" wondered Shixun raising an eyebrow
 

"I had a hunch," shrugged YiFan "and it's not like its the end of the world if someone likes me."

"I beg the differ ge," muttered Shixun
 

"Is that all Shixun?" demanded YiFan rolling eyes at his brother's comment
 

"I..." started Shixun but stopped and shook his head, "Never mind. Forget it."
 

YiFan watched his brother walk away from him and back into his room without looking back at him. Shrugging his shoulders YiFan closed his door and went back to his bed picking up his clothes and went about his business. He was tucking his shirts into his drawer when there was a series of loud knocks on his door he thought for sure would break his door down. Then he heard Chanyeol's voice calling his name.

"Let's play pool!" shouted Chanyeol happily "I'll let you go first this time!"

Smiling at Chanyeol's enthusiasm and his teasing, YiFan forgot about what his brother had interrogated him about and walked over to his door putting on a blank expression just to tease Chanyeol about not wanting to play pool with him, even though he wanted to.
 



Chanyeol was kicking at the pebbles beneath his feet biting on his lower lip lost in thought, sitting on the old stone steps waiting like a puppy for his owner to come back. Owners that is.
 

Sehun, Minseok, and YiFan had gone on without him to the cemetery to see YiFan and Sehun's mother. Chanyeol didn't want to impose and told the others he would wait for them by the car. 

Chanyeol brought his knees up, wrapping his arms around them and stared down at his right hand. His fingers started toying with his ring he had on his third finger, rolling the silver band around his finger before he gently pulled it up and revealed a faint pink band that had formed a few days ago that hadn't changed color or faded away like he thought it would. Chanyeol's fingertip brushed against it rubbing gently at it. 

He stared at the faded red mark one more time before he slipped his ring back on covering it back up and stared up at the sky. A soft sigh left his lips as he started remembering everything he had learned about the whole 'red string of fate' and how once a bond is made, it doesn't disappear. He had showed it to Sehun last night and the young man was shocked to see it there and asked Chanyeol who it was and when it had formed. Chanyeol could only reply that it appeared a few days back but couldn't bring himself to say who because even saying it out loud sounded unbelievable. He also had a feeling Sehun wouldn't believe him if he told him that it had formed after spending his days with his older brother YiFan. From what Sehun had said about his brother, YiFan didn't believe in bonds or strings tieing people to one another. 

No matter how many times he tried to change his mind, Chanyeol knew deep down in his gut that it was because of YiFan that the band had appeared. Even though they had gotten off on the wrong foot, the past few days had been one of the best week's of Chanyeol's life. He really liked being around YiFan. Chanyeol had a feeling that YiFan liked being around him too even though he liked to pretend otherwise. The more time they spent together the more his feelings began to grow more for YiFan. In Chanyeol's eyes, YiFan was perfect. YiFan didn't mind that he was loud, clumsy, and unpredictable. He never pushed him away but followed closely behind Chanyeol in whatever the young man wanted them to do together, offering sarcastic comments and random advice, or aiding Chanyeol when the man got in over his head (ice cream incident being one of those moments). No one had ever let Chanyeol lead or went along with his sometimes childish antics. Chanyeol really appreciated YiFan for that. 
 

Chanyeol could feel his heart bloom every time he made eye contact with YiFan and wanted to always have that feeling everywhere he went. Yes, he had grown quite accustomed to being around Sehun's older brother that when it came time for them to leave back for Korea tomorrow, Chanyeol wasn't sure how he was going to live without that feeling. How was he going to live without having YiFan by his side? He didn't want to think about it, but he knew it was going to happen eventually and there was nothing he could do about it.

A light flick on his forehead snapped Chanyeol out of his thoughts and he frowned at the infliction. Chanyeol looked up and broke into a wide smile when he saw that it was YiFan who had flicked his forehead who was smiling down at him warmly. 
 

"You're going to get old thinking so hard Chanyeol." teased YiFan 
 

"Not as old as you are, though," retorted Chanyeol, rubbing his forehead jumping to his feet and turning around just as Sehun and Minseok were making their way down the steps hand in hand "How was it?"

"As to be expected," muttered Sehun, walking off the steps reaching out and ruffling Chanyeol's hair "Were you a good boy while the grown-ups were gone?"

"Ha ha," laughed Chanyeol sarcastically and cast a look at YiFan who let out a barked laugh
 

"We placed the flowers and paid our respects," said Minseok with a small smile "I'm glad I got to meet Sehun's mom before we left."
 

"It's strange, though," mumbled Sehun, folding his arms in thought "there was already a bouquet of roses placed on mom's grave, not to mention it was clean."

"There is a grave keeper who cleans the place Shixun," reminded YiFan staring up at the hill leading to the cemetery

"How do you explain the roses though gate?" asked Sehun

"I can't," replied YiFan

"Well I think your mother appreciates whoever left them," said Minseok softly, hugging Sehun from the side and giving the younger male a light peck on the cheek "Those roses were very beautiful."

"Yeah they made ours looks lame." grumbled Sehun looking a little displeased "I sort of want to go back up there and push them away so only our roses are there."
 

"Don't you dare!" said Chanyeol, YiFan and Minseok in unison

"I was only joking relax!" said Sehun loudly raising his hands up in surrender giving the others a blank expression
 

"Come on," said YiFan turning away and heading towards the car "Let's go before that brat actually does go back up there and does it."
 

"Hey!"
 

"I call driver!" shouted Chanyeol happily and quickly stole the car keys from YiFan's hands and made a mad dash for the car.
 

"Chanyeol get back here!"
 

Chanyeol laughed loudly while he ran around the front of the car and  slammed his door loudly, buckling his seat belt quickly before YiFan could stop him and started the car smiling widely at the other who was jogging to the car and got into the passenger side. Sehun and Minseok were laughing and slowly making their way to the car when YiFan  turned to face Chanyeol.
 

"You put one scratch on my baby and I will cut you," stated YiFan firmly

"I'm a great driver I'll have you know!" defended Chanyeol "and you can't cut for crap so your words mean nothing."
 

"Kids no fighting in the car!" came Minseok's playful voice as he and Sehun got in the back seat and buckled up "But seriously Chanyeol, get us back to the house in one piece." he added in a serious tone.
 

"Yes sir!"
 

"I'm going to regret this aren't I?" sighed YiFan
 

"It's your own fault you have the reflexes of a sloth," muttered Sehun sarcastically "Chanyeol back up slowly!"



Over the past week, YiFan would wake up and hear the house bustling with noise and movement. Most of those movements happened to be Chanyeol's who was constantly walking around or bumping into stuff. YiFan could walk around in any part of the house and be able to know exactly where Chanyeol was from the noise. Shixun and Minseok were always together and moved from one part of the house to the next without making much fuss. Chanyeol, on the other hand, would get lost trying to find his way to the restroom or to the kitchen. In the beginning, it annoyed YiFan but as he started to be around Chanyeol more, the more YiFan had grown accustomed to having the noise in his house and expected there to be chaos when he walked through the front door.

So when YiFan had returned home from dropping his brother and his friends off at the airport, YiFan felt out of place and a little lonely being in the giant house by himself. YiFan looked around and saw the house was a cluttering mess thanks to Chanyeol running around trying to locate all his belongings at the last minute. The area rug was askew in the hallway, a chair was pulled out from the table along with the cup Chanyeol had sat and used that morning downing his cup of coffee before running back upstairs to collect his luggage like Minseok had reminded him to. YiFan smiled softly at the mess and tossed his keys into the bowl he used for keeping them in and started to clean up the mess around him. 
He was halfway through his cleaning when he stopped in the guest room and found Chanyeol's red flannel sticking out from underneath the bed. Picking the article of clothing, YiFan sat down on the bed and stared at the flannel for a long hard time before he fell back on the bed with the flannel in his hands.

"We're gonna go ahead," said Shixun abruptly snapping YiFan out of his thoughts
"Okay then," nodded YiFan
"Uh," started Shixun awkwardly, "how do you wanna do this?"
YiFan raised an eyebrow at his brother who was looking slightly uncomfortable with his arms stretched out before he only raised his right hand for him to shake. Rolling his eyes at his brothers behavior, YiFan stepped closer to his brother and brought Shixun into a tight hug. Shixun quickly wrapped his arms around YiFan's back and held onto him just as tightly sniffing quietly
"Don't make this weird Shixun," mumbled YiFan quietly
"I haven't hugged you in a long time," insisted Shixun his voice wavering slightly "I almost forgotten what it was like."
"You had a whole week to hug me," smiled YiFan gently "I would have hugged you back."

"Gege," whispered Shixun, "About my engagement-"
"Don't Shixun," interrupted YiFan quietly "It's okay."
"I'm sorry I upset you with the news." sniffled Shixun, "But I just wanted you to be happy for me."
"I am Shixun," replied YiFan, patting his brother's hair "I'm happy for you. Minseok's a good man, I know you will be taken care of."

"Thank you YiFan," whimpered Shixun, burying his head into YiFan's neck.

"Stop crying Shixun," smiled YiFan at his youngers brothers behavior, "You're ruining my shirt and your manliness."

"Meanie." muttered Shixun pulling away and discreetly wiping his eyes.

"Brat." retorted YiFan quietly rubbing his brothers shoulders fondly
Shixun cleared his throat and gave his brother one more smile before he turned around walking to Minseok who was waiting for several feet away watching the two with a gentle smile and teary eyes. YiFan raised his hand and gave the older male a small wave and a knowing smile which Minseok returned. As he watched Minseok reach out and wrap his arms around his brother and lead him toward their terminal, YiFan slowly turned away and looked around the busy airport trying to locate the other who was suppose to be leaving with them.

YiFan was searching around the random shops and restaurants when he finally saw the tall lanky young man standing by a flower shop holding up a bouquet of red roses smelling them. Smiling to himself YiFan made his way over to Chanyeol and lightly tapped him his left shoulder and walking around his right side as Chanyeol turned to his left. When Chanyeol turned his attention back to the flowers did he finally see YiFan and broke into a smile.

"Look!" said Chanyeol excitedly holding up the roses to YiFan's face "Red roses!"
"I can see that," smirked YiFan
"No," laughed Chanyeol "look at the stems!"
YiFan tilted his head and stared at where Chanyeol had voiced out and his eyes widen when he saw all the roses had a red string tied around them and were braided together to form one string where it split into two and tied into a ring on each end.
"Red string of fate red roses!" exclaimed Chanyeol happily "Isn't that cool?"
"I suppose," shrugged YiFan "Never seen that before."
"Neither have I," sighed Chanyeol before taking a deep breath smelling the sweet aroma the flowers gave off, "It's very beautiful."
"Eh," remarked YiFan cooly  "It's a nice gift."
Chanyeol looked at YiFan with an indifferent expression before giving the roses one more look and placing them back on the display gently. YiFan watched Chanyeol closely and saw how different the other was behaving. Did he say something to make the other shut him out?

"Where are Sehun and Minseok?" asked Chanyeol casually changing the subject, stepping away from the little flower shop
"They went on ahead," answered YiFan carefully, "Want me to walk you to the gate?"

"That would be nice," smiled Chanyeol nodding his head
The two walked awkwardly next to each other, bumping shoulders from time to time not saying a word to one another. YiFan would glance to his side to make sure Chanyeol didn't wander off every now, then open his mouth to say something, anything to the other but would look away when Chanyeol would catch his eye. Things were getting uncomfortable very fast. But every time YiFan wanted to turn and say something to Chanyeol, he couldn't bring himself to do it. He couldn't find it in himself to speak first. YiFan didn't want to speak first, he wanted Chanyeol to say something, anything! He needed to hear Chanyeol's voice one last time so he can remember the way it sounded, how Chanyeol's words rolled off his tongue in that weird but gentle way. Saying 'good-bye' to Shixun was one thing, but this was different with Chanyeol. It was always different with Chanyeol.

"Duizhang," said Chanyeol at last, stopping his stride, turning to face YiFan, "YiFan."
"Hmm?" hummed YiFan coming back to earth at the sound of Chanyeol's voice. "What's up Chanyeol?"
Chanyeol averting his gaze, biting his lip apprehensively before looking back up at YiFan staring at him for a moment, before he spoke again.
"I want to say something to you," said Chanyeol timidly "Will you hear me out?"
"What do you have to say Chanyeol?" asked YiFan patiently staring at the other
"I know that we started off on the wrong foot," began Chanyeol "you know, with me falling in your bar and breaking your mic stand-I'll still pay for that by the way," said Chanyeol quickly raising his right hand in promise salute, "Anyway, what I want to say is this, I am glad that it happened the way it did. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to become good friends because of it. I'm glad that I followed your note and went to your room and heard your apology. Because if that didn't happen, I don't think we would have even spoke to each other after that and I would be left with an impression that Sehun's older brother hates me because I am an idiot and wrecked his bar and his head. I'm glad that I'm leaving knowing that we aren't like that or think about each other in bad terms. Thank you so much YiFan for giving me a second chance at making a better impression with you. Thank you for being my friend while I was here." Chanyeol took a deep breath and stared at YiFan who was staring down at him, "This week has been the best week of my life and it's because of you. I am very happy that I met you YiFan."

YiFan could feel warmth rising up from his chest as he heard Chanyeol's little speech and at times he wanted to interrupt and tell Chanyeol he had nothing to apologize for, and he was wrong to think that he would think so little of him. He wanted to tell Chanyeol that he should be thankful for Chanyeol giving him a second chance to make things right. YiFan should be the one thanking him for making this week the best week of his life. He was afraid of not being able to tell Chanyeol what he really wanted to say, but he didn't even know how to say any of those words to him. Just as YiFan was about to open his mouth and tell Chanyeol how he felt, he halted when the other held up his hand stopping him.

"I know that you don't believe in fate," said Chanyeol softly, "But can you pretend for my sake that it was because of fate that we became friends?"
"Chanyeol-"
"I like to think that we cross paths for a reason," carried on Chanyeol. "just like how I needed to say what I needed to say before I left."
YiFan never felt so conflicted in his life. A part of him wanted to believe that Chanyeol was right about them meeting for a reason, but the other part was denying that fate had nothing to do with it. YiFan didn't believe in fate, not anymore at least. But Chanyeol did. He wanted so much to believe for Chanyeol's sake, but he just couldn't do it. Fate hasn't always been pleasant to him. YiFan didn't say a word, and Chanyeol didn't ask him to. Chanyeol smiled once more and said at last.

"It's okay to be afraid YiFan," said Chanyeol softly "But don't be too afraid forever okay?"
"What are you talking about?" asked YiFan quietly
"I know you're afraid to say it," said Chanyeol in the same soft voice, "and that's okay with me. I can wait."

"I don't understand Chanyeol."
"I'll wait for you YiFan." repeated Chanyeol stepping away from Yifan and turning to the terminal gate "No matter how long it takes for you to get your string, I'll wait for you."
Before YiFan could ask what Chanyeol was going on about, Chanyeol pulled off his ring on his right side and showed it to YiFan. YiFan blinked at the displayed and hand and looked at Chanyeol waiting for an answer. What was he suppose to be looking at?
"I have a string tied to my finger," Chanyeol answered quietly
"There's nothing there." pointed out YiFan, reaching out and taking a look at Chanyeol's hand closely and saw nothing.

"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's' not there," replied Chanyeol with a soft smile

"Stop messing around Chanyeol," said YiFan sternly, letting go of the man's wrist "there's nothing on your finger and you know it."
"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there." repeated Chanyeol patiently, "Someday you'll will, though when you're ready."

Before YiFan could tell Chanyeol off, and making up a ridiculous story about strings and fate. Chanyeol knew he didn't believe in that sort of thing, why would he say something like that to him! He was taken off guard when Chanyeol had reached out and hugged him in a way that instantly silence all the doubts and anger he had for Chanyeol saying what he said. YiFan closed his eyes giving into the warm embrace that Chanyeol was giving him.
"You're not ready yet," whispered Chanyeol softly into his ear "and that's okay YiFan. I'll wait for you. No matter what happens, no matter how long it takes, I'll wait for you."
Caught off guard once again, YiFan stared in shock as Chanyeol suddenly let go and ran to the terminal gate, not looking back at him till he disappeared down the hallway and into the crowd.


Kris stared at the flannel he was holding in his hands as he walked into his room and gently placed it on the bedpost and laid across his bed pondering what Chanyeol had said to him at the airport.

What did he mean by that? What did that mean for him?