III. The Prince and his Red string

Heartstrings

 

Chanyeol squirmed in his seat uneasily as YiFan glared up at the ceiling with that ever present scowl he seemed to always be wearing as he had it donned on his face for the past hour since they had arrived back at the house. After the two had recovered and were checked for injuries Sehun and Minseok dropped them off stating they were to keep an eye on each other in case one of them had a concussion and left to eat dinner alone.

Removing the small ice pack from his head and gingerly putting it on the coffee table in front of him, Chanyeol sat up in his seat and cleared his throat nervously, catching YiFan's attention.
 

"I, uh," started Chanyeol nervously, rubbing his hands on his jeans. "Already said this twice before but-"
 

"Just don't," muttered YiFan, removing his ice pack from his head as well and tossing it onto the table harshly, "There's no need to keep apologizing over something that happened hours ago."

"Sorry." mumbled Chanyeol, fiddling with his fingers like a scolded child.
 

"Unbelievable." said YiFan under his breath with a click of his tongue and rose from his seat, walking out of the den.
 

Chanyeol sighed and fell back into the couch with a puff. A long sigh left his lips, he felt guilty for causing such a mess at the bar. And to make it worse, it was Sehun's brother's bar that he caused said mess at. 
 

When he had come to, Minseok was kneeling over him, asking frantically if he was alright and if he was hurting anywhere. Chanyeol groaned holding his head trying to figure out what the hell happened to him. Minseok answered that he fell from the stage and hit his head on one of the opened chairs. Nodding his head and muttering that he had a feeling it happened that way. Slowly Chanyeol got back onto his feet with the help of Minseok, chiding that he needed to be more careful and to watch what he was doing. 
 

Yixing had popped out from the corner holding a damp washcloth with some ice, placing it gently onto Chanyeol's head asking if he was okay and what had happened. Chanyeol replied he lost his balance and asked what had happened and why Minseok was here. The answer came when Sehun walked up and asked Yixing where the ice pack he went to get YiFan was. He quickly stopped when he saw Chanyeol was holding the makeshift ice pack onto his head and muttered "Ah, that's where it went." They all jumped when they heard a growl of frustration and Yixing and Sehun's names being shouted. Minseok let go of Chanyeol's arm and clung to Sehun's arms who was staring up at the man standing on top of the mini stairway glaring down at them, holding is head demanding to know where the "ing ice pack" was. Sehun simply pointed at Chanyeol and stated that Chanyeol had hit his head on the chair.


"Well, where's MY ice pack?" demanded YiFan
"Uh, I'll go and get you one," said Yixing quickly, patting Chanyeol's arm and running away.

"This is a better time than any, I guess," muttered Sehun, grabbing Minseok's hand and turning to face his older brother, speaking up "Gege, this is my fiancé Minseok." He turned to the smaller male next to him and smiled gently at him before glancing at Chanyeol and added, "And that clumsy idiot over there is Chanyeol."

"You broke my mic stand." blurted out YiFan glaring cold at the taller male, making Chanyeol feel short all of a sudden.

"Really ge?" asked Sehun sighing in frustration.
"Nice to meet you," said Chanyeol awkwardly, about to extend his hand but ended up turning his wrist around and pointed at the stage area, "and sorry about the stand...I can pay for that."

"Chanyeol comes with his own accident insurance," joked Sehun halfheartedly, smiling at Chanyeol before turning his attention back to his brother. "Anyway guys, that scowling dragon over there is my big brother, YiFan."
"I got your ice pack Duizhang!" shouted Yixing happily, waving the pack in his hand back and forth while jogging over to YiFan and planting the blue ice packet onto the others head with a smack causing YiFan to flinch and turn his glare to Yixing who was smiling back at the elder.
"That hurt." snapped YiFan.


Chanyeol automatically sat upright again when he heard footsteps stomping back into the den and gulped nervously when YiFan stood by the door.

"I have a question for you." said YiFan tightly before his shoulder leaned up against the door frame.
 

"O-okay?" said Chanyeol slowly, tugging on the collar of his red flannel nervously.
 

"Why did Shixun bring you along on this trip?" asked YiFan folding his arms across his chest. "I can understand him bringing that Minseok guy, but why did you come along?"
 

"Um..." said Chanyeol, feeling lost at what to say.
 

"You're very slow." stated YiFan bluntly.
 

Well, that's a little uncalled for. Thought Chanyeol while trying his best to glare at the Chinese man, failing miserably, "Sehun-ah invited me, I couldn't tell you why." he managed to reply before casting his gaze down to his lap staring down at his fingers.
 

YiFan watched Chanyeol closely, feeling a little bit of satisfaction with the fact that he was making him uncomfortable. He knew he was being a world class to the guy but he wanted answers and he wanted them now. Plus, there was just something about Chanyeol that just rubbed him the wrong way. His clumsy and endearing disposition annoyed him to no end.
 

"My brother said that Minseok is his soul mate," carried on YiFan, staring around the den nonchalantly as humanly possible. "do you believe Minseok is the one for my brother like Shixun thinks he is?"

"Yes." said Chanyeol nodding his head quickly "I-I saw it."
 

"Saw what?" asked YiFan, raising an eyebrow.
 

"The red string of fate," answered Chanyeol standing up and showing off his own hand and pointing at his pinky, "I was there when Sehun and Minseok hyung met. There was a glow of red coming from their hands and after the light disappeared, a red band formed around their pinkies."

"Oh my god," groaned YiFan, rubbing his eyes in frustration "not you too."
 

"They're not the only ones I have seen either," defended Chanyeol "I've seen it happen twice before Sehun and Minseok met."
"So you believe in the whole 'red string of fate' then?" inquired YiFan staring hard at Chanyeol.

 

"It’s very hard not to when you see it with your own eyes don't you think?" asked Chanyeol, dropping his hands and folding them in front of his waist. "It is like saying there's no such thing as rain when it's raining around you."
 

"Ridiculous." scoffed YiFan rolling his eyes.
 

"You must hate the rain then," muttered Chanyeol to himself.
 

"Don't assume that I do," snarled YiFan out loud.
 

"Then why is it so hard for you to accept that they are bound together by fate?" disputed Chanyeol.

"Because I don't believe in fate," answered YiFan, "I believe we make our own fate."
 

"You don't believe that there is one person out there in this big world of ours that is meant just for you?" inquired Chanyeol facing the other and staring straight at him, "Someone that shatters the illusion that we are not alone?"
 

"I don't." replied YiFan callously.
 

"Isn't that kind of lonely to think that way?" asked Chanyeol staring at the other with mild concern.
 

"What do you mean?" asked YiFan growing frustrated with Chanyeol's point of view.
 

"Don't you ever..." started Chanyeol, pausing slightly "get lonely and wish for someone to chase that loneliness away?"
 

"I prefer to be alone," stated YiFan "I don't need anyone to chase anything away that I can't do on my own."
 

"That seems a little lonely." said Chanyeol quietly staring at his feet.
 

"I get that you don't like being alone?" wondered YiFan, staring expressionlessly at the other, "I can understand why, you're absolutely helpless on your own."

"That's not true," said Chanyeol, glaring at YiFan.

"Isn't it?" inquired YiFan, "From the moment my brother got here, he's been 'babysitting' you, keeping you out of trouble when he could have been relaxing with his so called fiancé." he added, stepping away from the door frame and walking up to Chanyeol.

"All you do is cause a burden everywhere you go and yet you have the audacity to be around others when you don't bring anything useful to the table," he finished staring down at the other coldly

"You're wrong," said Chanyeol weakly, blinking his eyes.
 

"Then why don't you have a band on your finger, Chanyeol?" asked YiFan in a whisper, his lips curling up in a mean smile, "Because there is no one that is meant for you. No one wants someone as lonely and lost as you."
 

YiFan certainly didn't expect to see that his words would hurt Chanyeol in such way. He didn't expect Chanyeol to push him away and walk out of the den as fast as his long legs could carry him, but Chanyeol did exactly that. He also didn't expect to hear the lad swear and call him an '' as he pushed him away. But what really caught him off guard was the hurt and tearful look Chanyeol gave him as he walked away. He also didn't expect to feel so guilty and regretful watching Chanyeol leave the room without giving him a second look.
 



Sehun looked down at Minseok and smiled fondly before he leaned down and spoke into the others ear.
 

"I can hear you thinking out loud," he joked as his fiancé jumped in shock.
 

"Oh, you startled me," sighed Minseok, gently punching the taller male in the shoulder.

"You need to relax," murmured Sehun gently as he wrapped his arms around the other, "everything is fine back at the house."

"Your brother didn't look pleased when we left him with Chanyeol," said Minseok apprehensive. "I'm worried about how they will be around each other."
 

"First of all," said Sehun knowingly "my brother always looks like that. So don't let it bother you so much. Secondly, don't worry about them. You'll get wrinkles if you do." he winked at Minseok, laughing when his fiancé puffed out his cheeks in protest, "They'll be fine on their own, it's not like they will get into a big fight and destroy the house or anything like that." he concluded giving Minseok a light peck on the forehead before leading him down another walkway that led into the park.



"Ge?" asked a soft groggy voice 
 

"Shixun," hissed YiFan softly, turning his head in shock as the small boy crawl out the bedroom window sneaking his way toward him "go back inside!"
 

"I can't sleep without you," mumbled the small boy, sneaking his hand around the taller boy's arm, "it's cold."
 

"Mom might wake up," whispered YiFan with a pointed look

"Then we can all sleep in mommy's bed," argued Shixun snuggling closer, "Why are you out here?"

"I was just thinking is all." replied YiFan quietly, wrapping his arms around his brother pulling him to sit in between his legs.
 

"Is it about the story mom told us before bed?" asked Shixun looking up at his brother "About the prince and the red string around his finger?"
 

"Yeah," answered YiFan with a nod.
 

"I liked that story," said Shixun nodding his head in agreement, hugging his brother’s arms closer, "it was nice."
 

"Do you think it's true?" wondered YiFan out loud, looking up at the starry night sky, "About how it's the only way to find your soul mate?"
 

"I think so," mumbled Shixun, chewing on his lower lip and leaned back against his brother’s chest. "Mommy said it was a true story and that it only happens to special people."
 

"If it's true," said YiFan softly, "why doesn't momma have a red string around her finger?"
 

"Maybe mommy is different," answered Shixun with a shrug, "Maybe mommy lost her string."
 

"Why didn't she get one with dad then?" asked YiFan staring at the sky as if it had the answer.
 

"Maybe it went away when papa left." muttered Shixun, "Papa probably took it with him so another momma could have it."
 

"Soul mates don't work that way Shixun." mumbled YiFan glaring at the stars.
 

"Why not?" inquired the five-year-old staring at his brother again.

"Well, soul mates can only be soul mates with just one person and one person alone." answered the ten-year-old with knowledge beyond his years.

"Oh." said Shixun simply, "Mommy hasn't found hers yet then."
 

"Yeah." said YiFan quietly before he nudged his brother gently "Come on, lets go back inside before mom catches us out of bed."
 

"Wait ge," said Shixun softly, stopping his brother and stared up at him in wonder "do you think we will have soul mates too? Like the prince?"
 

"Yeah," smiled YiFan patting the other on the back gently, "and I can't wait till I find mine."
 

"Me too."

-Eight Years Later-

He was in his gym class when he got called to the office where the principal pulled him aside and informed him that his mother had been in a car accident. YiFan felt the world crash around him as he turned away from the principal and bolted from the office and fled from the school.
 

YiFan walked back and forth anxiously, clasping his hands together tightly as he prayed for news to come from the operating room.
 

"Ge!" came a panicked shout.
 

YiFan turned around and saw Shixun running to him with tears in his eyes, YiFan sighed in relief as he saw his little brother and ran to him bringing the younger into his arms hugging him tightly.
 

"They said mom was hurt," hiccupped Shixun, wiping the tears from his eyes with his uniform sleeve when they pulled apart at last.
 

"Yeah," replied YiFan brushing the black hair strands from Shixun's face and stared at him as calmly as he could, "they took her inside that room. We have to wait while they help mom, okay?"
 

"Okay," sobbed Shixun "Mom going to be okay, right?"
 

"She will be Shixun," said YiFan firmly, blinking back the tears from his own eyes. "Mom's going to be okay. I promise."
 


 

Once upon a time,
 

 In a faraway land, there lived a handsome prince.
 

He was walking by a pond one day when an old man called to him and beckoned him to come closer.
 

Curious, the young prince stood in front of the old man.
 

The old man grabbed his hand and revealed to the prince a red string tied to his pinky.
 

"The one meant for you is tied to the end of this string." said the old man, "You will meet one day and wed each other."
 

The prince sneered at the old man and yanked his hand away. He picked up a stone from the ground and threw it across the pond, unknowingly hitting a young girl.
 

"That will never happen." declared the prince as he walked away leaving the old man alone.
 

Years pass and the King and Queen decided it was time for their prince to marry. They chose a young girl and brought her to the palace.
 

When the prince saw his bride, he fell in love.
 

He was shocked when he saw a small scar on her head and asked her how she came to have such a scar.
 

"I was playing by the river one day when a rock struck me in the head." the young woman replied, "An old man told me that the person who threw that rock was tied to the end of the string on my finger."

The prince looked down at his finger and saw that the one who was tied to his string was the same young girl he had thrown a rock at all those years ago.
 


 

YiFan stood in front of the altar with closed eyes as Shixun knelt beside him hugging his knees, rocking back in forth crying his eyes out. He read the inscription of his mother's name, date of birth and as well as the date of when she had left this world over and over till his mind went completely blank and all that was left was nothing. Nothing but his mother's sweet voice retelling that story from eight years ago, about the young prince and his red string of fate. 
 

Up until that dreadful day, he had believed that story. He loved that story. He wished with all his heart to make that story a reality and show his mom that it was true and that there was someone tied to the end of his string. Someone that he could love and spend the rest of his life with.
 

Up until that day, that was all YiFan ever wanted. 
 

But after that day, that beautiful bedtime story became his own nightmare.
 

Their mother, that sweet and beautiful woman who loved them like no other, slipped away without saying 'good-bye' to them. Their mother, who would often talk about that story from time to time with Shixun and sigh telling them that her one wish was for them to find their own end of the red string and be happy with that person destined to be theirs forever. YiFan and Shixun's mother who never had found the end of her string on her finger till that day. Unknown to YiFan and Shixun, their mother had finally met her soul mate while on that operating table as he desperately tried to save her. Their mother, who didn't even get a chance to know the man's name, died peacefully while outside the operating room YiFan and Shixun clung to one another and prayed that they would see their mom again. YiFan's nightmare came crashing down on him as the heartbroken surgeon came stumbling out of the room, mournfully informing the eldest brother that his mother didn't make it and how sorry he was that it had to happen to her before he walked away, never to be seen again. 
 

"Shixun," called YiFan softly, "It's time to go..."
 

"What about mom?" sobbed Shixun "We can't leave her here, all alone."
 

"We can't stay either," whispered YiFan, kneeling down and hugging his brother who was shivering "It's late, we have to go home."
 

"Ge," mourned Shixun, "How are we going to do this? How are we going to—"
 

"Shh," hushed YiFan gently, "We have each other, that's all that matter."
 

"But mom," cried Shixun, trembling in his brother's arms. "mom has no one. Mom never found the end of her string!"

"It was a bedtime story Shixun," said YiFan quietly, his fingers scratching the younger brother’s hair gently "It wasn't real."
 

"Bu-but you said," stuttered Shixun but getting cut off by YiFan who turned his head and brushed his thumb across his tear-stained cheeks, wiping away the tears.

"I know what I said," whispered YiFan "But I think this time, I was wrong."
 

"What?" hiccupped Shixun confused, "What do you mean? You're never wrong."
 

"I mean about the string Shixun," answered YiFan. "I think...I don't think it was real after all."
 

"I don't understand." whimpered Shixun lost.
 

"I don't think it exists." said YiFan solemnly. "There's no such thing as a 'soul mate'."

"But mom said, a string will show up one day when we are ready," argued Shixun shaking his head

"I think," Said YiFan slowly, "it was only a story...mom just wanted us to believe that we weren't alone."
 

"But ge—" started Shixun.
 

"That's enough Shixun!" snapped YiFan, and immediately regretted snapping at his brother who flinched at his outburst, "Don't you see what it's doing to us? What it did to mom?" he asked frantically.

Shixun shook his head and covered his face with his arms as another bout of tears came up and the thirteen-year-old cried out sadly. YiFan inhaled deeply, swallowing back the sob that wanted to break free from his throat. He was in denial. He wanted to believe in the story, for Shixun's sake. But YiFan didn't want to have to go through the heartbreak all over again, not with Shixun. He didn't think he could bear to watch what had happened to his mother happen to his younger brother. Love was not as simple as what the story had portrayed it to be. Love was harsh. Too harsh for someone as innocent and sweet as Shixun and their mother. There is no possible or logical way a person meant for you, fates own design, a soul mate, could make everything better. There was just no way.

"Listen to me Shixun," whispered YiFan urgently "We're all we've got now, okay? It's just you and me. We can't believe in fairy tales anymore, we have to believe in ourselves and make our own way in this world. Do you get that?"
 

"Yes ge," hiccupped Shixun nodding his head.
 

"Good. Then promise me that you won't go through the rest of your looking for a string that isn't there," said YiFan softly, "Promise me you won't."
 

"Okay, I promise," whispered Shixun, hugging YiFan one last time before he let his brother help him back up and they stared down at the small shrine their mother was buried under one last time before the brothers slowly stepped away and walked out of the cemetery.



He woke up with a start and blinked his eyes as he stared around his room. YiFan sighed heavily, letting his head drop back down on his desk. His breath leveled out and he stared at the wall in front of him. When he finally looked away he turned his attention to his window, YiFan blinked in shock when he saw Chanyeol sitting on the rooftop outside of the guest room staring up at the sky.
 

"What's he doing out there?" he mumbled to himself
 

Recollection of their previous talk resurfaced in YiFan's mind and he turns away and sits pondering what he had said to the younger man. His words now seem a bit harsh and also misdirected. It wasn't Chanyeol's fault that his brother was marrying someone who Shixun claimed to be his red string end. He was only standing up for his friends. YiFan rubbed the back of his head when he remembered how he tore down Chanyeol's own beliefs and his personality. He shouldn't have said those things to Chanyeol, it wasn't at all nice. Chanyeol was his guest and his brother's good friend. And he just single-handedly made him feel worse and unwanted in his own house.

"What's wrong with you, YiFan?" he asked himself, tilting back in his chair and staring up at the ceiling "If mom ever saw you act that way to someone..."
 

Mom...
 

YiFan looked back out the window again and saw Chanyeol bring up his knees and tuck his head on top of them. The guy looked cold sitting there alone. 
 

Getting up from his seat, YiFan walked out of his room.
 


 

Chanyeol sat in his room for a long while, repeating what YiFan had said to him trying to convince himself that what was said wasn't true. He would catch himself glaring at the door and part of him wanted to storm out of his sanctuary he would call his room for the rest of the week and give the guy a piece of his mind about how wrong he was about him but, his courage would dwindle and he would only huff in frustration at his own shortcomings and turn away from the door and face the window. 

When he had calmed down a bit and realized that there was no point in dwelling on the past when there wasn't much he could do about it or the person who had said those cruel words to him, Chanyeol walked over to the window and as quietly as he could he opened it and crawled out of the room to sit on the roof. At least out there he could put some measure of distance between him and the 'scowling dragon' that Sehun had called YiFan. 
 

As soon as he leaned his head outside he felt a gentle breeze flow all around him and Chanyeol couldn't help but smile at the soothing feeling it gave him. Squeezing his long legs out the small window, Chanyeol scooted his way to the middle of the small roof and wrapped his arms around his knees and breathed a sigh of contentment and turned his attention to the polluted evening sky above him.
Sitting alone on the rooftop allowed for Chanyeol to think freely and in the end he couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the way YiFan acted toward him. Unlike Sehun who was immediately likable in Chanyeol's opinion (he never managed to befriend someone so easily, especially when people were too creeped out by his bright smile and tall clumsy stature), YiFan was rather standoffish and cold. Where Sehun was warm and easy going, his brother was the exact opposite. Sehun believed in his 'string of fate' and had found it in Minseok, YiFan on the other hand; didn't believe and was on his own.

"Why does that make me so sad?" Chanyeol wondered out loud to himself.

"What makes you sad?" 
 

A startled yelp escaped Chanyeol's lips as he whipped around and saw YiFan standing awkwardly halfway out of the small window staring at him. Chanyeol opened his mouth to ask what the other was doing but what came out of his mouth was a scream as he started to fall backward down the roof. 

"Watch out!" cried YiFan, clamoring out the window and trying to grab onto any part of Chanyeol he could find. 
 

Chanyeol squeezed his eyes shut just as he saw the roof end and the yard below started to come into view. He braced himself for the hard fall he knew was coming. But to his surprise, it didn't happen. He slowly opened his eyes slowly and saw the ground was still below him, and half of his body was still on the roof. He turned his head around and saw that YiFan was holding onto his jeans rather tightly looking disheveled. 
 

"Stop staring at me and help!" gasped YiFan "You're not exactly light!"
 

"Sorry!" said Chanyeol quickly, reaching around and grabbing onto YiFan's forearm and pulled himself up and away from harm.
 

"What were you doing?" demanded YiFan when Chanyeol was completely back on the roof and still holding his arm
 

"Me?" asked Chanyeol bewildered "What were you doing? You're the one who almost caused me to fall off the roof!"

"How is that my fault?" exclaimed YiFan yanking back his arms, standing on his feet "I just came out here to apologize, it's not my fault you are so easy to scare!"
 

"I am not!" snapped Chanyeol "I just...didnot expect...You're..."

"You're welcome," snipped YiFan rolling his eyes.
 

Chanyeol sighed and turned away from YiFan doing his best to ignore him. It was just his luck that he turned around too fast and lost his balance. He may be tall, but that doesn't help him to be graceful or grounded. And yeah, he is a little on the skittish side but most people call it being 'ditzy' and 'head in the clouds' (those were nicer ways of putting it anyway). Once the speed of his heart rate went down a little did Chanyeol finally look up and stared at YiFan who was staring down at him.

"What?" asked Chanyeol feeling a little strange being stared at for so long.
 

"Look," started YiFan, heaving a big sigh before he carried on, "About what I said earlier-"
 

Ah great, thought Chanyeol scowled what did I do this time? Am I not allowed to be on the roof? Wait, that's a very basic homeowner concern. It's probably not a good place for someone, especially me to be sitting out here. What if the roof should cave in? Or what if I really did fall and YiFan wasn't here to help me? Ah, that would be so like me to fall off of someone else's roof! His face scrunched up in concern I really can't win with this guy. He is just finding more reasons to not like me.
 

"Hey are you listening to me?" asked YiFan impatiently glaring at Chanyeol who was still lost in thought
 

This is probably the first time someone has just straight up not like me! Well, him and that other guy from school. But I kinda gave sunbae a good reason by accidently falling on him and twisting his ankle. Oh, Chanyeol what is wrong with you?! Chanyeol sighed helplessly and dropped his head into his awaiting hands.
 

"Hey!" shouted YiFan getting Chanyeol's attention
 

"I'm here!" cried Chanyeol frantically, "I'm sorry!"
 

"I am trying to apologize to you-!" growled YiFan in frustration
 

"WE'RE HOME!" came Sehun's voice from inside the house "GEGE! HYUNG!"
 

"We brought you guys some dinner!" rang Minseok's voice
 

"Oh food!" said Chanyeol suddenly
 

"Ugh just forget it!" snarled YiFan and he turned around and stomped back toward the window
 

"W-wait!" said Chanyeol quickly "I'm sorry!"
 

"Just shut up!" snapped YiFan
 

Guilt rose in Chanyeol's chest and he knew the only thing he could do was try and make things right with YiFan or else things were never going to progress to them being friends. Scrambling up to his feet, Chanyeol followed after YiFan who was about to step through the window.
 

"Wait!" called Chanyeol, reaching up and grabbing the older males shoulder just as his foot slipped on the clay roof tile and he started to fall back down. "Oh no!"

"Ah!" yelled YiFan in alarm falling back and into Chanyeol's unsuspecting arms.
 

YiFan tensed up as soon as he came into contact with a solid chest and his heart fluttered hard in his ribcage. He gasped when Chanyeol's fingers clung to the sweater he was wearing. Chanyeol's breath brushed against the back of his neck causing him to shudder, it smelt like bubblegum. YiFan turned his head around and stared up at Chanyeol who for the first time since they met was elevated from the angle from how they were laying. His eyes widen when he saw clearly how clear and youthful the other was. His face was slightly rounded from childhood still clinging to him. Big almond shaped eyes that seemed to always be bright even in the dark, and those ears. Chanyeol's ears were so big they stuck out in an odd angle, making him look a whole lot younger then what his height and voice made it be. Despite how strange Chanyeol was and looked, he was actually very handsome.
 

Just as he was about to open his mouth and apologize once again for causing trouble, Chanyeol stopped when he felt his heartbeat slow down then speed up. It was like he could see everything, but the only thing that mattered to him was YiFan staring back at him. He couldn't tear his gaze away from the other. Why did YiFan look so perfect all of a sudden? This was probably the first time ever seeing the well composed and cold looking older gentleman looks so vulnerable and warm. Without thinking, Chanyeol pulled YiFan closer to him and to his surprise YiFan let him. He could feel YiFan's heartbeat, it was racing as fast as his was. Chanyeol had never felt this way before. Afraid yet brave, scared but ecstatic, here yet not here. Deep down inside his heart, Chanyeol was glad he had slipped, otherwise he never would have known YiFan could look like this or make him feel this way.

"Are you okay?" asked Chanyeol with care, his hand timidly touching YiFan's face
 

"I'm-" answered YiFan in a daze
 

"Hyung are you-whoa!" 
Both Chanyeol and YiFan whipped their heads to the window and saw Sehun staring at both of them in shock. YiFan looked down and saw the way they were laying and felt his face heat up in embarrassment, he was practically being spooned by Chanyeol. Clearing his throat he shoved off Chanyeol's arms and got to his feet, not bothering to help the other who was still laying on the roof. As nonchalantly as he possibly could with his dignity, YiFan gestured for his brother to move and he stepped into the room without a word to either of them. Sehun watched his brother leave before he turned his attention to Chanyeol who was still laying on the roof with a lost look in his eyes.

"Are you okay Chanyeol?" asked Sehun slowly, reaching out and waving his hand across the others face 

"Wha?" asked Chanyeol in a dazed voice

"You okay there dude?" repeated Sehun, watching his friend closely for signs of truama

"Yeah, I'm fine," murmered Chanyeol, staring into the window, "I got to go." he said suddenly

Before Sehun could ask where, Chanyeol was already wiggling his way into the small window and skipping out of his room.

"Wha?" asked Sehun outloud, clearly confused.