park jimin's no. 1 fan

the sky in your eyes

Title: The Sky in Your Eyes

Pairing: Yoonmin

Word length:  2462 words


The sky is beautiful because it resembles you

Today today you are dazzling


Sweat is plastered to their foreheads as they jog down the stage, expressing their gratitude towards their fans by bowing again and again. Blinding smiles adorn their faces as they bow a last time before disappearing into the darkness behind the bright stage, Jimin being the last to leave and Namjoon hurrying them into the waiting room.

Loud cheering suddenly erupts from one corner, startling Jimin who has his head in his hands and is trying to catch his breath from the backbreaking choreography. In fact, everyone is either sitting or lying down with the exception of Hoseok who is speaking animatedly into the camera, probably for a new video. He is waving around a glistening trophy, with their name imprinted onto the metal stand.

“Good work guys,” Namjoon stands and speaks up, addressing their group of seven. They all nod along, weary smiles slightly illuminating their features. “We’ll rest for fifteen before heading back,” he continues and they nod slightly, too exhausted to speak. He slips back into his chair and goes back to whatever he is reading on his phone.

Yoongi spots Jimin silently brooding alone, a forlorn look cast over his glistening face. He frowns, quietly stands up from his seat and slips beside the younger boy, ruffling his hair while chuckling, “You did great Jiminnie. Your solo dance was excellent. The best.” He even gives a thumbs up to get his point across.

Jimin simply smiles up at him but the smile does not reach his eyes. He mutters a soft “thank you” before going back to being silent. Yoongi does not know what to say anymore. He reaches out a finger to push Jimin’s bangs out of his eyes but draws back at the last second.

Sighing, he ruffles Jimin’s hair again and goes back to where he came from.

He wants to reach out to Jimin and comfort him but he cannot find the right words to say when he sees the disappointment glazing over the younger boy’s eyes.

 

The next day, the seven boys lock themselves in the practice room, promising themselves not to leave the room until they have perfected the dance. The members who are weaker at dancing flock to Hoseok for help and being the angel he is, he teaches them the steps patiently, repeating himself until they get it right. Yoongi eventually goes to Hoseok too and they are practicing a particularly vexing move together until they hear a shriek coming from the other end of the room. Yoongi spins around and finds Jimin collapsed on the floor, hugging his knees and burying his face in his arms.

“Why can’t I get it right?” he screams to no one in particular, clutching onto his hair and tugging at it violently. The members are dumbstruck at the dancer’s outburst; even Taehyung who usually is the best at handling situations like this has his mouth hung open. Yoongi freezes for one, two seconds before he walks across the room and crouches beside Jimin.

He places a soft hand on his shoulder and squeezes it lightly. “Hey,” he calls out and Jimin shrugs his hand off, causing it to fall to his side limply. He does not give up and coaxes, “what’s wrong?”

Jimin shakes his head violently and Yoongi can hear soft whimpers coming from the boy.

“Are you crying?” he asks gently but does not get a respond. Instead, Jimin stands up and stalks across the room, grabbing his bag before heading towards the door and slamming it behind him harshly. Yoongi stares at the door.

He’s the worst, he really is.

 

They head backstage after finishing their third performance in a week. Jimin had made a mistake during his solo and now he’s dragging himself to the room, refusing to speak to anyone, not even Seokjin who is fretting over him. Yoongi just tags behind them, wanting to move to Jimin and offer him a shoulder to lean on. However, his mind drifts back to that day in the practice room and all his pent up courage disappears in seconds.

“You have letters!” their manager announces and waves a bunch of coloured envelopes in the air. He proceeds to distribute them to the members, Jimin only receiving five letters. He glances over at the stack of letters on Jungkook’s lap and gives a tiny shrug which does not go unnoticed by Yoongi. He watches Jimin carefully peel apart the blue-coloured envelope but quickly averts his gaze when Jimin looks up, smiling bashfully at whatever is written in the letter.

 

hi jimin,

this is the first time i have ever written a letter to you so i’m feeling really nervous. i wanted to write this letter because i notice how stressed you look when you perform these days. please don’t be stressed! you may think that you make a lot of mistakes but to your fans, to people like me, you’re the best. so please don’t be stressed!!! i’ll always be cheering for you~

 

park jimin’s no. 1 fan

 

Yoongi feels heat slowly rising up to his ears as the younger boy lets out a soft chuckle and he thinks that it sounds better than any song in the world, even his own music. He goes back to his phone and finds himself grinning from ear to ear.

 

The same sky blue coloured envelope arrives for Jimin every time they get fan letters and his face always lights up when he spots it in their manager’s hands, rushing to get the envelope and ripping it open.

 

hello jimin,

 

it’s me again!! did you read my first letter? i hope you did and feel a bit better about yourself. i may sound like a stalker but i come to watch every single performance of bts, which is why i’m your biggest fan right? i see that you’re smiling more nowadays and i’m so happy! i hope that you’re eating well and take care of yourself please. smile more jimin~

 

park jimin’s no. 1 fan

 

His lips always split into a dazzling grin when he reads the letter’s contents and sometimes twinkling laughter can be heard coming from the boy.

 

hiiii jimin,

 

i’ve decided to write a letter because i noticed that you have not been appearing in videos recently. why are you hiding your handsome face behind the camera? i want to see you! please appear more in videos, i miss seeing you~~~~ i’ve got to go now, i have work to do!

 

park jimin’s no. 1 fan

 

“Idiot, didn’t you say you come to watch all of our performances,” Jimin chuckles under his breath as he reads the letter over and over again.

“Who’s this lucky fan who is able to make you laugh?” Yoongi asks and leans over to read the letter but Jimin lets out a squeak and immediately presses the paper against his chest.

“Hyung, you can’t do that!” Jimin whines and pushes him playfully. Yoongi feels his heart somersaulting at that small action and watches as the other boy’s face blossoms into a smile. “The fan didn’t write their name, but they always call themselves ‘Jimin’s No. 1 Fan’.” His cheeks turn into a deep red upon saying that phrase and this makes Yoongi feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

He hears Taehyung and Jungkook filming something and he drops the letter on his seat, running to join them. Their high-pitched laughters fill the room and Yoongi watches as Jimin talks animatedly into the camera. Apparently, they are talking about their stage outfits today and when Taehyung compliments his hair, Jimin beams widely, eyes turning into half crescents.

Yoongi is so glad that Jimin is happier now.

 

jimin,

 

i just wanted to say that i’m really excited for your last stage tomorrow and i hope you are as excited too. i’m sure you will do well because you are park jimin and i believe in you. i’ll be cheering for you as you perform and i’ll be watching you receive your first place trophy too. rest well!

 

park jimin’s no.1 fan

 

While they are practicing for their last stage at Inkigayo, Hoseok is sitting at one side of the room idly scrolling through his phone, already finished with his practice for the day. Occasionally, he looks up to check on the members and remind them of what needs to be corrected if he spots a mistake. Everyone is on edge today as it’s already their last stage and they don’t want to screw up.

It’s already 12:50am and his eyelids are heavy with sleep. He starts to doze off when a soft poke on his shoulder jolts him awake and he glances up to see Jimin peering down at him, sweat dripping from his forehead.

“Hyung…” Jimin’s sentences comes out in unstable gasps as he struggles to catch his breath, “Could you… could you go through the dance with me?”

Hoseok almost jumps out of his skin. Did Park Jimin just ask for his help? He scrambles to his feet and pats off the imaginary dust on his pants, putting on a very enthusiastic smile while scratching his head. “Jimin, you never ask for help,” he laughs.

The boy looks down at the floor while biting his lips, as if he is trying to hold back a smile.

They find themselves in front of the mirror practicing the choreography for once more, Hoseok guiding Jimin and Jimin giving him advice too. At the end of the session, they collapse on the floor with their bottles in their hands, too exhausted to move a single muscle.

From across the room, Yoongi observes how Jimin’s lips curl upwards and he finds his lips tugging up as well. He’s confident that they will do well tomorrow. He’s confident that they will all be running off the stage while cheering. He’s confident.

 

They strike their last poses and the music fades out. The lights dim to darkness and silence hovers in the air for a few seconds before cheers erupt from the crowd. The lights turn back on and the seven of them turn to face the audience, grins lighting up their faces.

"2, 3, Bangtan! Hello, we are BTS!” they chorus, “Thank you for coming today!”

With that, they head backstage to rest before they go on again. Today, it’s a special day. It’s their last stage today and they are competing for the first place.

It’s not like it’s their first time competing for the award but there’s still this tense atmosphere in their waiting room, everyone crossing their fingers or muttering silent prayers. Even Yoongi, usually the indifferent one among all of them, has his eyes closed and fervently wishing that they will get to hear their name once again.

When they head on the stage again, their hands are linked with one another as they wait for the MCs to announce the first place winner. There’s the usual suspense, the same music playing as the numbers start rolling and everyone clutches on to each other tighter.

“Congratulations, BTS!”

Their eyes fly open and they look at the screen, seeing themselves on it. As if it is a reflex, they start jumping around and Namjoon rushes to receive the trophy. He does the usual speech, thanking their fans, their family, their company and the members. “Thank you!” he chants over and over again, the glowing smile never faltering.

Suddenly, Jimin rushes to the front and squeezes in between Yoongi and Namjoon, asking for the mic. The members freeze as they watch the boy fumble with it. He brings it to his lips.

“Last but not least, I would like to thank the fan who has constantly sent me those letters. You never failed to cheer me up when I was down and without you, I would not have done such a good job today. Thank you, ‘Jimin’s No. 1 Fan!’

Yoongi gazes at Jimin and he finds himself wrapping his arms around his waist, pulling him in for a side hug. He ruffles his fluffy brown hair and says sincerely, “You did well.” 

Jimin looks up at him and the radiating smile that is imprinted on his face is a sight Yoongi never wants to forget.

 

They finally get their well-deserved rest, their company allowing them to take a short break of five days to do whatever they want.

Seokjin decides that today, they will clean their dormitory, earning moans and groans from all of them but they still obey him because he’s the oldest member.

“Yoongi hyung, is this yours?” Jimin asks while holding onto a pair of headphones. Yoongi barely looks up from his sweeping and nods as soon as he recognises it. “I’ll put it in your room,” Jimin says and starts to head towards his shared room with Seokjin.

The sound of the broom hitting the floor resounds in the house and Seokjin opens his mouth to scold Yoongi, but his mouth hangs open when he sees him running towards his room at full speed, arms flailing as if to stop Jimin.

“Jimin, you can’t!” Yoongi calls after the younger boy but it’s already too late because he finds Jimin clutching onto a bunch of blue envelopes, all of them labelled ‘To: Jimin’, looking expectantly at him.

“Hyung,” he gasps and looks back at the light blue envelopes, “these…” He breaks out into a huge grin when his sight lands on Yoongi’s flushed cheeks and he takes a few steps forward to close up the distance between them.

All Yoongi wants right now is to disappear from this world. He shies away from Jimin’s stare and rubs at the side of his shorts, shifting uncomfortably.

“All of those letters were from you?” Jimin sighs. Yoongi bites his lips, unsure of what to do.

Jimin lets out a breathy laugh and suddenly, he engulfs Yoongi in a tight hug, the envelopes forgotten and falling to the floor. The latter’s eyes widen and he is immobilised as he is squished in between strong arms. “Thank you, thank you hyung,” Jimin whispers into his ear, voice a little too high.

Yoongi decides that all of the nights he has spent trying to think of what to write on those papers, all of the times he has had to sneak out of the room just to place his letter in the fan letter box, all of them are nothing compared to hearing those words and being in Jimin’s arms. His arms feel like home and Yoongi has been homesick this whole time.

So he does the only thing that comes to his mind. He returns Jimin’s embrace and runs his fingers through the boy’s soft locks, mumbling, “Remember this forever brat: I’ll always be Park Jimin’s number one fan.”