YERIM

Perhaps It's Love?

“What?” Yerim’s heart almost stops“You’re saying something, Jungkook?”

Jungkook’s round eyes blink and he shakes his head moderately, “I’m saying I like walking below the stars like this, with you.” He tilted his head, confusedly staring at Yerim, “Did I say something that makes you feel weird?”

Yerim blinked and sigh loudly then shaking her head, “Nothing. I thought I heard you say… never mind.” She scratched at the back of her head, did I misheard him? Did he or did he not say those words to her, will be remain mystery forever.

 “What’s wrong?” Confused Jungkook was tilting his head as his two big eyes were staring through her like a possessed doll. Yerim avoided it for the good of her heart.

“Nothing’s wrong with me.” She immediately replied, still not looking at him.

She fastened her steps forward while Jungkook was far away from her, causing the boy to shout on her to slow down her steps.

“Are you planning to leave me behind?” Jungkook jogged to catch up to her pace but Yerim still couldn’t bother to speak up to him. Jungkook noticed that Yerim has been acting weird for a while then he decided to stop walking.

Yerim realized Jungkook was not walking with her and she immediately turned around, only to be bumped on the face on Jungkook’s chest.

“Ouch!”

“You’re acting weird.” Jungkook crouch down to her level. “There’s definitely something wrong with you, Kim Yerim.”

This guy is so sharp but why he is so stupid? Yerim shakes her head in return of Jungkook’s curiosity, “Nothing is wrong with me.” Yeah, right. Why do you keep making me having high hopes? The wrong one is you, Jeon Jungkook. “We almost reached my house. You can go home now. Thanks for walking me home.”

Without a wave or goodbye, Yerim turned around and continue to walk again. Jungkook rubs the back of his neck and clicked his tongue as he stared at the girl walking in front of her. Before Yerim could disappear from his sight, Jungkook runs to her. Running until the distance between them shorter and with a speed of light, he grabbed her arm and pulled her into his embrace.

Shocked Yerim could not think of anything that time. Her mind was blank as a sheet of white paper when Jungkook comes to embrace her. What the just happen?! She screams inside her head while still being hugged by Jungkook.

“Wait, Jungkook. What are you –“

Jungkook immediately shut by placing his palm on it. Yerim was still in shock from the hugging couldn’t believe the situation she was in. By calming herself down, Yerim pulled his palm down from and finally can breathe properly. But Jungkook’s hands that were still wrapped around her make her feel unconsciously excited.

“Um, Jungkook? Jeon Jungkook?”

“For once,” He finally responds to her after several minutes of silence, “For once I thought I found a friend that finally understands me. That accepts me for who I am and that takes the risk to become my friend. I thought that you were also that kind of friend that is no different from Jimin that accepts me as who I am. And I’m glad that I know you.” His hugs getting tighter all of the sudden causing Yerim to stumble a little. “But after knowing you for a while, I notice I have a different feeling that I, myself, couldn’t explain. It seems like I can't ever leave you alone and I don’t want to lose you. That kind of feeling…”

Yerim heart skips a beat. If Jungkook breaks the hug now, he definitely going to see her blushing red face and if he pulls her even closer, he actually can hear her fast heart beating. His words, his confusing words makes Yerim wonder what actually he feels about her until he said those kinds of things that Yerim or any other girl will misunderstand it as that. But knowing how Jungkook is, Yerim do not want to put so many hopes on him.

Jungkook’s hug loosening and he finally broke it as Yerim was lost of choice of words to say. He took her one hand and intertwined it with his as Yerim stare at what he was doing. He keeps holding her hand and not saying anything at all.

Yerim turned her sight from the hand to his face. His expression was full of confusion that he could not express by words. Yerim brings her hands up to his cheek, caressing it softly as Jungkook stares at her in surprise. She gives him a smile as she placed her hand that was on his cheek earlier on top of the hand that was holding her.

“I’m not the person who can explain what you wanted to know, Jungkook.” Yerim says, “Or that I’m a person who can tell you what kind of feeling have inside your heart.” She grabs his other hand and smiled, “But in return of what you said to me, I think I should confess the truth right now.” She took a deep breath as she closed her eyes before looking back at the twin orbs of his again.

“I like you.” She finally said it out loud.

“All the time. I have always liked you. Not as a friend, but I view you in a romantic way. I was so happy when you give me back the ring I lost and willing to befriend with me. I’m really happy that we were chosen for the representatives together that I thought it must a dream come true. I – “ She shut her eyes close and the grip on both Jungkook’s hands tightens. “Ah, this is so embarrassing! Please don’t laugh at me for saying this. You don’t actually like me the same way, right? Just forget about – “

Once again, Jungkook shut her up for the last time. At this time, he used his own lips and not the palm.


 

Two days after the weekend, Yerim and Jinsil go to school like usually in the morning. Jinsil looks normal like she usually does but when it comes to Yerim, her mind was elsewhere. She may look normal outside but her thought was filled with that scene from last week;

A kiss from Jeon Jungkook.

Yerim did not particularly talk to anyone about this matter, including to Jinsil who she considered as her best friend. It is not because she wanted to keep it a secret. But it is too embarrassing to be held as a conversation topic!

“Good morning!” The usual greeting she received from her classmates was ignored and everyone is getting weird thoughts on Yerim that morning.

Jinsil, being the best friend who concerned of her friend well-being, asked “Mind if I ask what is wrong with you? The very first thing I saw this morning is this gloomy face of yours, Yerim!”

Yerim could only sigh as the respond to Jinsil, “I don’t know how to say it, Jinsil-ah.”

“Say what?” Jinsil seated on top of Yerim’s desk, “You don’t even text or call me during the weekend. You even not updating on your SNS but that’s not so weird because you’re not socially active in SNS.” Jinsil laughed at her own words but stop as she looks at Yerim again.

Another sigh comes out of .

“You have been signing since I arrived, you know.”

Yerim almost falls from her chair when the unexpected person appears in front of her. She was staring at Jungkook’s face for a very long time before she turned her head to the window, avoiding his eyes.

“Good morning,” Jungkook said as if he didn’t notice what Yerim did.

Jinsil who realized Yerim was not acting like herself suddenly become more curious when she saw her reaction towards Jungkook a while ago. She turned to Jungkook and tilted her head as she stares at him.

“Jinsil, don’t stare at people like that.” Jimin caught his twin sister staring at Jungkook who didn’t realize he was being judged by Jinsil. “And Jungkook, where did you go the past two days? I didn’t get any text or calls from you. You make me worried.”

“I went to see my grandma in the countryside. The coverage there is so poor that I couldn’t keep in contact with my mom too. Sorry to make you worried.”

Jimin sighs and nodded his head. He turned his eyes to the red haired girl next to Jungkook and realized something off was going on.

“Did both of you somewhat in a fight?”

“No. We’re not.” They answered in unison.

Yup. Definitely, they were caught in a fight. Jimin thought inside. “Well then, if you need anything just tell me.” He pats his friend’s shoulder as he gives a hint of a smile before walking off to his seat.


 

“You’re not going to have lunch?” Jinsil asked Yerim for the second time and still, the answer is no while shaking her head.

Jinsil bites her lips and stood up from her seat, “If you need me, I’ll be in the cafeteria.” She said before fleeing from the classroom.

Yerim closed the book she was reading and sighs loudly. She was tired, too tired to keep up with everything for today. I want to go home. She thought inside her head. I’m so cruel to him… She stared at the scenery outside the window while reminiscing the moment from last week. She sighs again as she brushed the thoughts out of her mind when suddenly she felt her hair was being touched. She turned to the other side and caught the person who was playing with her hair.

It was Yugyeom.

“What are you doing?” She asks but Yugyeom ignored it with a chuckle.

“You have a quite pretty hair,” He brought the hair to his lips, kissing it; “I like it.”

Yerim clearly shows how disgusting his act was but he definitely did not get the notice.

“I ask you what you are doing. Could you stay away from – “

“Stay away from her.”

Yugyeom chuckled at the presence of the person he expected to come; Jeon Jungkook.

“Looks who’s here? Are you mad that I do this to her?” He grabs strands of her hair before kissing it again. Yerim was shocked by his action that she wanted to grab a book and hit his face so hard right now.

“Stop it.” Jungkook demand sternly. “You’re disgusting.”

Yugyeom whistle, “Did you come to protect your girl? Oh wait, you two are not even dating.” He laughed loudly.

Yerim scoffed, “Yah! You bastard! You’re messing with the wrong person here!”

“Oh my, this little girl is defending you, Jeon Jungkook. She must really like you.”

Yerim clicked her tongue, “He knows that I like him. No need to persuade him more.” And she becomes totally annoyed for that reason that she can’t forget the kiss they shared last week.

“What now?” Yugyeom shriek, “It’s the total opposite than what I thought.” He scratches his head and looks at Jungkook again. He looks like he wanted to say something but as if something was caught in his throat; he leaves the two alone as he walked out from the class.

Jungkook watched Yugyeom striding out from the classroom and sigh in relief. He takes a seat on his chair, sitting down while his both hands inside his pants pocket. He takes a glance at Yerim for a while before stretching his hand to her hair, twirling it on his index finger.

Yerim realized what he was doing and she did not bother to stop him. Her heart would not stop pounding at this rate if Jungkook keeps doing what is bad for her heart.

“I’m sorry about that night.” He begins to talk “I shouldn’t have taken your confession so lightly like that. I’m sorry that I hurt you.” His fingers twirling softly on her red hair, “I was so happy to hear that you like me and see me in a different way. I was too excited that I can’t control it. I’m sorry.” He releases his fingers from her hair and Yerim turned around to face him.

Finally, after hours of avoiding him, Yerim gather up all her courage to face him.

“I want to start again, the confession.” She paused when she caught his eyes were serious while looking at her, “I want us to start again. And I want you to reply to me properly this time.”

Jungkook chuckled, as if her words were that funny to him, Yerim did not want to know. He answered her with a nod and say, “Let’s do it.”