Hiding from Sirens

Hiding from Sirens

If a week ago someone had told Kyungsoo that he’d be hiding in an alleyway from the cops at 4 AM on a Sunday, holding hands with a random stranger who seemed hell bent on making his life miserable, he would have laughed and slammed a door in your face. But as it so happens, that’s exactly the situation Kyungsoo had managed to land himself into.

It was really all Baekhyun’s fault.

Baekhyun had insisted he go with him to some underground concert in some decrepit warehouse on the southside of town because his boyfriend just so happened to be playing in the band. Never mind the fact that he had three papers left to finish before Sunday night and a group project to dominate (because he’d rather have ultimate control and do all the work than to let some dumb like Park Chanyeol ruin his chance at getting the A he deserved). He should have just said no. Why did he ever let Byun Baekhyun con him into going to something so obnoxious and loud? Kyungsoo was going to kill him when he saw him next or so help—

“You okay there?” the stranger finally decided to break poor Kyungsoo’s train of thought.

Kyungsoo glanced over at the stranger next to him. He was staring. Or was it a glare? He couldn’t exactly tell, considering he managed to lose his glasses during the chaos of escaping the warehouse when the cops started raining in. Plus it was dark, with it being 4 AM and a new moon out. He was close enough to the stranger to see the outline of his face, his dark hair partially obscuring his eyes. There was hardly enough light to catch the studs on the man’s jacket or the piercings that lined his ear, but he knew they were there. He remembered seeing them sparkle in the light of the streetlamps as they ran through the streets.

“Um…” The stranger shifted slightly. The pull of his arm reminded Kyungsoo that his hand was still linked with this guy. Kyungsoo quickly pulled his hand away as if he’d been burned.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to freak you out or anything.”

Kyungsoo didn’t expect his voice to be so low, but he supposed it matched the look he seemed to be going for. Dark and mysterious? Menacing? He didn’t exactly know.

“So… you got a name?”

Right…

As if Kyungsoo would tell this random stranger his name. He didn’t even know this guy. Who the hell grabs the hand of some guy off the street and just starts sprinting? Is this guy even normal?

“If I hadn’t grabbed you, you would have been caught by the cops like the rest of them.”

. He must be tired enough that his brain to mouth filter was finally giving up on him. Kyungsoo’s ears were bright red at this realization. He glanced back at the stranger again.

“I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo muttered. He pauses for breath, gathering the courage to keep speaking. After all, he’s never exactly done well with strangers. “And thank you, I guess. For… saving me?”

The stranger seemed satisfied with this response, content to stare at the adjacent wall, fiddling with one of his jacket zippers. The uncomfortable silence was cut short when Kyungsoo coughed and shivered slightly. He hadn’t thought to bring a coat with him since it had been warm when he had left his apartment, but now the wind whipped through the alleyway, a reminder that fall would soon be giving way to colder days. The pair could hear sirens that seemed to be coming closer. Soon the sound of shouting began to accompany the wails of the police cruisers. The cops weren’t too far off now, probably still searching for stragglers they could arrest. Kyungsoo stood then, too anxious to stay in one place any longer. The rustling of fabric behind him only seemed to elevate his anxiety. Kyungsoo went to start walking away from the direction of the sirens when a weight suddenly landed over his shoulders, warmth encompassing him.

“Wait, what—“

The stranger was now standing closely in front of him, hands reaching out to pull the jacket tighter around his small frame. Kyungsoo kept his head down, heat rushing to his face as he sensed how close they were to each other. Kyungsoo was close enough now that he could make out the boy’s face if he wanted to, but embarrassment was already too much. The scent of the boy’s cologne was almost overwhelming as it seemed to seep into Kyungsoo’s skin. It was intoxicating. Kyungsoo swallowed the lump in his throat, attempting to form the words that would get him out of this awkward situation. Too many thoughts were going through his mind. Why was this guy so close? What if this guy’s actually some murderer or gang member and was just pretending to help him out? Why did he ever decide to listen to ing Byun Baekhyun?

“I can tell you’re thinking too much. Don’t worry, I’m not some kind of axe murderer or anything.”

Well. He could still be lying—

“Kai. I go by Kai. And I’m really not a felon or anything…” The guy, Kai, seemed to be able to read his mind. Or maybe his brain to mouth filter really was broken. Kai chuckled slightly before taking his hands off of the jacket.

The sirens were becoming louder with every second, getting closer to where they stood. Kyungsoo figured that if they didn’t leave now, they really would get caught and he’d really rather not have to have his roommate Junmyeon come and bail him out of jail. He looked up then, meeting warm, dark eyes staring back at him. Kyungsoo blinked once, twice, his face heating up once more at the small smile that graced Kai’s lips and oh…

He was handsome. More than just handsome, this stranger looked like something out of an idol magazine Junmyeon liked to hide under his bed when he thinks Kyungsoo isn’t looking. And here he was, just focusing all his attention on Kyungsoo as if he was the only human left in the world. Kyungsoo began to feel even more overwhelmed by sudden intensity of Kai’s stare. Luckily for him, Kai seemed to have remembered their current situation, because he began to back up, speaking swiftly.

“They’re getting too close. I’m going to run out and lead them off.”

This guy, he was just going to give himself up? After working so hard to run away? Kyungsoo had to hand it to him, it was a really bold move.

“If you keep walking down this alley and go left, you’ll get back to the main street. They should be gone by then…”

“It sounds like you’ve done this before,” Kyungsoo accused.

“Well, something like that.” Kai rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly before turning serious again.

“You’ll be fine, I promise. I’m pretty fast.”

Kyungsoo felt a sudden flood of, affection? wash over him. He didn’t like owing people. They continued to stare at each other for a few short seconds before Kai tore his gaze away and began to make his way towards the source of the chaos. Kyungsoo couldn’t just leave it like this. If only he could…

Before he even realized what was happening, his body acted on its own accord. His hand reached out, clutching Kai’s wrist to stop him from moving. Kai turned back, surprised by the sudden gesture. Kyungsoo couldn’t even believe his own actions. Still, what did he have to give to this stranger for his kindness?

It came crashing into him then, realization dawning on him.

“K- Kyungsoo.” He stuttered, clearing his throat before, speaking up again. “My name. It’s Kyungsoo.”

His hand fell to his side then, shaking slightly in his nervousness.

Kyungsoo watched as Kai faced him, his eyes lighting up with a small smile resting upon his lips.

“Kyungsoo. I like it.” Kai briefly reached out, his hand now resting on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “It was nice to meet you.”

And with that, Kai ce again and jogged towards the road, back from where they came. Kyungsoo stood rooted to the pavement, looking on as he watched Kai make his presence known to their pursuers before running in the opposite direction, two officers now chasing him off into the distance. It took all of Kyungsoo’s strength to make himself move again, going in the direction Kai had told him.

Later that night as he made his way back to his apartment, the image of Kai wouldn’t leave his head. His scent still clung to him as Kyungsoo realized that Kai’s jacket still hung from his shoulders.

As he laid in bed that night, he wondered if he’d ever see him again, if only to give his jacket back and give his thanks over a cup of coffee. Maybe they could be friends? Or… maybe something more? Chiding himself for that thought, Kyungsoo turned over in his bed and shut his eyes. Best not to get too far ahead of himself.

Kyungsoo drifted off to sleep with thoughts of pierced strangers, dark eyes, and beautiful smiles. Not an unpleasant thing to dream of. As he began to fall into sleep completely, one last thought entered his mind.

Tomorrow he was going to end Byun Baekhyun. Permanently. 


Authors Notes: So this fic isn't new. I actually posted it originally to my tumblr then took it down after about a day because I have no confidence. This is the final edited version. I actually don't really write fic, this is just the first thing I've published. 

I hope you all enjoyed it!