Hurting

I Don't Have Time For A Girlfriend

Taepyeong was a good fighter. 

He hadn't had the best past, especially with all the bad influence he got from his friends back in early middle school. He'd been the epitome of a rebellious child back then, joining gangs and getting into gang fights every now and then. His parents had been extremely disappointed in him but Taepyeong never paid them any heed - being the eldest, he got the least attention from them and didn't feel the need to conform to their expectations of him since they barely cared about him at all. It was only after they'd passed away that he learnt of the immense love they had for him, and the guilt they felt when their son had gone astray due to neglect. 

Back then, Taepyeong's parents had spiralled down into a rabbit hole of debt due to the several failed investments Taepyeong's father had made. Both parents did their best to hide the stress they were facing, painting on happy faces when they were home with their children. When they died, all their debts were suddenly made transparent to the Ahn household when debt-collectors showed up, demanding for the billions of won Mr. Ahn owed them. Taepyeong was forced to mortgage the house, pull Hanbi and Taeseok out of kindergarten, transfer Taehyun to a public school and support the entire family of five at the tender age of sixteen. In that instant, Taepyeong had to make the switch from the problematic adolescent to responsible adult. At first, it had been hard to just suddenly leave the gang and start working day after day only for a meagre pay. But one look at a small note they had written, intended for his sixteenth birthday just days after, Taepyeong it all up, bit the bullet and fought through trials and tribulations to give comfort to the hurting family. 

It was Taepyeong's sixteenth birthday but no one was celebrating it for him. The funeral procession was still on going and the small family of five were still mourning the loss of his parents. Distant relatives came and went, but none knew of his birthday and hence did not wish him. Truth be told, Taepyeong would rather they not come - they barely knew his parents yet they were acting as if they had been the greatest people alive, crying over their graves. 

"Taepyeong-ah," Grandma called, pulling Taepyeong out of his trance. "This is for you. I found it in your parents' drawer when I was packing their things. It's for your sixteenth birthday." 

Taepyeong turned the envelope over in disdain, scoffing lightly at the affectionate "Taepyeongie~" written on the front. His cynicism however, stopped short once he finished reading the letter. 

Taepyeong-ah! 

You're already sixteen! Our first child has grown up, hasn't he? 

Firstly, Appa and Omma just want to apologise. We're sorry that we haven't been giving the attention you have always desired for for the past few years. We've been so caught up with our jobs and your younger siblings that we hadn't realised our neglect towards you. It's been on our minds for a long time and we hope that with this letter, you'll help us grow closer to you? We promise to set aside more time for you - no more distractions from your siblings or work. We really love you Pyeong-ie, and we've been really hurt at your participation in gangs but we really only have ourselves to blame, don't we? 

Taepyeong-ah, Appa and Omma don't need you to do the best in school neither do we want you to earn lots of money and have huge houses and branded goods. All we want is for you to be happy. We've already failed at giving you a happy childhood so now, all we hope is for you to be happy in the future. Take care of yourself, alright? 

We love you, Taepyeong-ah. Grow up well, and be happy alright? 

Happy birthday!

He hadn't noticed the tears streaming down his face after reading the letter but Grandma's calloused fingers attempting to wipe away his tears had brought him back to reality. 

What really hit Taepyeong hard was how they had longed to be closer to him, to be the parents he had always wanted yet all that was taken away just because a selfish person refused to follow the traffic rules and drove under influence. He hadn't realised the love they had for him but thinking back, he remembered how during dinner, he'd always find an extra chicken leg in his plate while either of his parents would go the night without any meat. He had scoffed at their feeble attempt to treat him better then, but it was only now that he realised those were all small acts of love and he had just been too blind to see it. 


If he were being honest, Taepyeong wasn't too afraid of the group of delinquents that had attempted to rob the burger place when he saw them again. Sure, Myungsoo was quite badly injured but that was because Myungsoo didn't know how to fight, how to stand up for himself. The poor boy usually just let himself be pushed over, too scared to actually speak up. Taepyeong thought they just seemed like a bunch of students wanting to act scary, but didn't actually know how to fight. He thought the skills he'd picked up during his gang days were more than enough to take them down.

Oh how wrong had he been. 

Not long into the fight, Taepyeong soon found out that this 'tough boy' pretense wasn't really a pretense at all. The way the fought, the way they threw their punches and kicks encapsulated years of experience in the fighting scene. It was only then that he realised he was doomed; they were probably part of a gang like he used to be. All he could do really, was to curl into a ball and pray that the injuries wouldn't be too serious, that he'd still be able to work. When he felt an insistent pain radiating up his left arm, however, he knew that it was a goner. 

If Namsu hadn't stepped in, Taepyeong doubted that he'd still be alive. 

Turns out, Taepyeong had a fractured left wrist and a dislocated shoulder. He also had a slightly sprained ankle but because he felt little to no pain when he put weight on it, the doctor simply gave him some ointment to apply every night. His left arm, however, was bandaged in a cast and slung over his shoulder. Taepyeong spent hours mulling over his temporary immobility: since his arm was broken, he wouldn't be able to wash the public toilets anymore; he may be able to still deliver milk, but that paid the least out of all his jobs. He also wouldn't be able to do any deliveries since he wouldn't be able to ride his motorbike. He briefly thought about opening the food truck after school but scrapped it when he remembered he wouldn't be able to prepare much food with only one hand. The only thing left was to work the carwash but that meant he'd have to skip school until his arm healed. After doing a few quick mental calculations; taking in the family's expenses and the topics he'd miss in school, Taepyeong decided that a few days' of school was nothing compared to what he'd lose not working. 

He'd woken up slightly later the next day, forgetting to set an alarm at 4:30am since he was so used to rushing off to his next job after washing the toilets that he left the house in a hurry, shoes barely slipped on as he climbed on his rickety bike. Before he left, however, Taepyeong caught a glimpse of the table he normally studied on. It was void of his textbooks and notes and were instead replaced by a porcelain bowl of rice, a small bowl of seaweed soup and a few slices of kimchi. Oh right, it's my birthday. Taepyeong mused, a small sad smile on his face. However, a glance at his watch told him that if he didn't make a run for it, he wouldn't earn that few thousand won he got delivering milk. 

It was tough cycling with only one hand but thankfully Taepyeong had been cycling since he was a child so it was still pretty easy manoeuvring about to make collect the milk and deliver them. Washing the car, however, was a completely different situation. Taepyeong had worked at the car wash in the past, especially during his holidays. During those times, he was able to just work with one hand whenever a hand felt tired because most of the cars that frequented the wash were small saloon cars. The car he was currently washing was a large black SUV that caused his arm to become sore much quicker than saloon cars due to its height. But Taepyeong had to press on - washing a large SUV earned at least twice as much as a saloon car and he couldn't afford to miss up on this opportunity. So, with shaking, tired arms, Taepyeong gritted his teeth as he stood on his tiptoes to wash the roof of the car. Every once in a while, he would lean awkwardly to try to use his left hand to support the mop as he adjusted the position of his right hand to better wash the roof. 

Angry footsteps resounded on asphalt and the next thing he knew, his arm was being pushed away and the soapy mop was snatched out of his hands. When he had a better look, he came face to face with a head of chocolate curls and the grey sleeve of Ara's school blazer. Shocked, all he could do was to stand back and stare and she too stood up on her tiptoes to reach the roof of the car. Glancing down, he saw just how high Ara had to tiptoe and with a slight grimace, he took the mop back to continue his job. 

"Stop it, it's my job," he said, feeling more than a little upset that he was being pitited. He didn't need those sympathetic eyes and pitiful reactions from others when they saw him work. But of course, Ara was a tough nut to crack and she once again, snatched the mop from his hands. 

"How could you still work when your hand's in that state?" Ara asked, swiping the mop back and forth with more force than necessary. Taepyeong of course, did not take it well. Was she trying to insult him? Mock him that he even has to work when he couldn't use both his hands? 

"You..." He began, trying to word his words properly. "Do you think that what I'm doing is a joke?" He replied, pain evident in his voice. He knew Ara would never have to go through what he had; she would never need to go through the pain of losing her parents overnight, she would never have to endure sleepless nights just to earn enough money to support a family whilst at the same time keeping up with his studies. No, Ara would never know what it would be like living his life. 

Ara paused, thinking through his words. 

After putting the mop back into its bucket, she turned around, "Do you think that I'm trying to be funny when I'm doing all of this?" Really, why couldn't Taepyeon see compassion from others when he had so much in him? 

"Isn't it your birthday today?" She questioned angrily. To Taepyeong though, it sounded like more of a statement than a question. She knew. At that moment, Taepyeong was at a loss for words. How did she know? All he could supply was a surprised "what?"

Ara looked down at his injured arm again, eyes flitting around as if trying to word her thoughts. Finally she settled on, "You really being like this.Do you really have to work on a day like this? On a day like this you could easily rest well," Taepyeong started tuning her out, having heard this lecture so many times from Taehyun and Grandma. What stung though, was the disappointment and hurt in Ara's voice. Why was she so upset? "You knew very well it was your birthday!" She continued, "If you still work on a day like this do you think the people at home would be happy?" From the corner of his eye he could see movement and when the figure got close enough, he realised that the figure was actually his little sister. So you told her about my birthday. He seethed but yet, at the same time, the remorseful look she had on her face was enough to break his heart. He tried to say something, but she beat him to it. 

"Oppa," she choked out, "let's go home today." He shifted his weight on his feet a little, silently calculating the amount that he would be losing by leaving at a time like this. But one look at Taehyun's face and feeling the glare from Ara, he looked up with a sad smile and gave her a nod. 


Although ten people were being cramped in the Ahn family's small apartment, no one complained - they were far to caught up in the celebratory and homely feels to even be annoyed at the little space they had as they ate the meat personally grilled by the birthday boy. 

"Oh my, my kids are eating well!" Grandma happily exclaimed, cooing lovingly at Shiyoung who was feeding Hanbi a piece of ddeok. 

"Namsu oppa, eat more!" Taehyun boldy said, placing a piece of meat in Namsu's bowl. Awkwardly, Namsu forced a smile, "ohkay." However, Namsu's torture did not stop there. Daringly, Taehyun flipped her hair and gently rested her head against Namsu's shoulder. 

Taepyeong looked up, scowling at Taehyun's actions. It's just like her to come on strong to any guy she finds cute. He mused. 

"C'mon everyone! Bottom's up!" Myungsoo loudly spoke, effectively distracting Taepyeong from laughing at his sister's actions. 

Of course, Taehyun would never give up when it came to a guy. 

"Shall I wrap meat for you?" She asked. Without bothering for a reply, she picked up a small piece of meat and wrapped it in lettuce. Turning to face Namsu, she continued, "I'll feed you. Ah~" She then proceeded to stuff the wrap into Namsu's mouth. Taepyeong glanced across, clearly taking delight in Taehyun's boldness and Namsu's obvious discomfort. 

"Your noona is here again," he said when he met Shiyoung's eyes. It was an inside joke he shared with Shiyoung, joking about how Taehyun was more desperate than Shiyoung to get a boyfriend despite being almost twenty years younger. It made it seem like Taehyun was older than she and was more anxious to get married hence the joke that Taehyun was Shiyoung's noona (although really, it should have been unnie), whenever Taehyun got all giggly over a guy.

Shiyoung clucked her tongue and instead replied, "Why don't you eat more, seriously."

"It's fine," Taepyeong brushed her off with a slight shake of his head, turning his focus back on grilling the meat. Shiyoung of course, payed no heed and proceeded to feed Taepyeong with a wrap of her own. "Here, in case you get hungry. Open up! Ah!" Taepyeong gladly accepted the wrap, giving a small nod when she asked him if it was good. 

Ara of course, watched the whole exchange in displeasure. Why couldn't she be the one joking lovingly with Taepyeong? Why couldn't she be the one feeding Taepyeong lettuce wraps and not Shiyoug? In a fit of jealously, Ara commanded sharply, "Hey! Concentrate on grilling the meat! It's burnt!" When Taepyeong turned to look at her, she let out a soft, "Oh my gosh, seriously," under her breath, clearly trying to mask her jealously with annoyance. 

"Do you like me?" Taepyeong asked point-blank. Ara had to fight to keep a straight face as the rest of the room snickered, a few choking lightly on their food from the shock of his straightforwardness. 

"Hey! Who says it so directly!" She sputtered, not really wanting to deny her feelings. 

"I really want to thank you for today but no strings attached please," Taehyun let out a scoff fromthe far end of the room, knowing exactly what was going through her brother's mind. "I don't have time for a girlfriend."

Ara blinked, unwilling to admit that sharp pain she felt in her chest from his words. Desperately trying to collect herself, she replied, "Lol, who wants to date you? It's you who shouldn't be falling for me! Omg, seriously..."

Over at the side, Grandma couldn't help but lightly chuckle at the exchange. Oh, these young children dealing with love. 

Sensing the tense situation, Taepyeong's boss from the cafe spoke up, "Ohkay! It's all thanks to Taepyeong that I'm here today!" Picking up a bottle of coke, he turned to Taepyeong, "Here! Drink coke with me!" 

Respectfully, Taepyeong got up and held his paper cup in both hands as his boss filled his cup. "Happy birthday!" He said, looking up for a brief moment into Taepyeong's eyes before refocusing to the small cup. 

"Thanks hyung," Taepyeong replied. 

"Live long," he teased, clearly poking fun at how Taepyeong had the knack for getting himself in trouble, causing Grandma and Myungsoo to snort a laugh. "Here, cheers!" 

Displeased at how she was left hanging and running on the jealousy she felt from watching Shiyoung feed Taepyeong, Ara turned to Shiyoung and asked, "Unnie!" 

"Yeah?" Shiyoung looked up from her bowl where she was cutting up some meat for Hanbi. 

"How about I introduce a guy to you?" She tried her best to sound innocent and genuine, she really did. 

"Me?" Shiyoung asked. Ara nodded her head happily in response, thinking that her plan would work. Shiyoung let out a breathy laugh, "are there any good guys around?" 

Ara suddenly looked smug, "there's about a hundred people."

"Wow, I see," Shiyoung replied, completely emotionless. It was clear as day that she was just playing along,knowing Ara's true motives. 

"What type of guy do you like?" Ara pressed on. 

"I'll think about it," 

"Ah why do you have to think?" It was only then Ara knew that she was being played. But Cho Ara wasn't giving up so easily. However, she slowly cut herself off when she realised how obvious she was being. Swallowing, she continued, "Unnie do you have someone that you're dating?" 

"Nope! No one!"

"Then have you tried blind dating?" 

"No but I have someone I like," Shiyoung's reply didn't just shock Ara - it shocked the entire room. Taepyeong who was happily grilling meat and internally laughing at their conversation looked up. His boss, Grandma and Myungsoo too stopped what they were doing to gawk at her. Ara swore she felt her heart skip a beat. 

Trying to act nonchalant, she replied, "What?" 

Shiyoung only smiled slightly, turning over to look straight at Namsu. Namsu? Ara thought. She barely knows him! 

Then Shiyoung brought her gaze to Myungsoo who bashfully wiped his mouth with the scarf around his neck. 

"What's going on," Ara asked. It seemed like the rest knew what kind of game Shiyoung was playing with her and they were happily playing along. 

Shiyoung then squinted and looked directly at Taepyeong's boss who flinched slightly and let out a small cough. 

"What?" Ara repeated, unhappy with the fact that she was out of loop. 

Finally, Shiyoung landed her gaze on Taepyeong and smiled. Taepyeong, in return, smiled back. He did so not because Shiyoung actually had a crush on him but instead did so because of the look Shiyoung had on her face and also because he knew she was just messing with Ara. 

"Only I don't know?" Ara asked, still looking around for answers. "I don't really have the sense to understand this so just tell me!" Ara exclaimed, annoyed at how everyone was gloating over her confusion.

In response, Shiyoung brought up her pointer finger, swirling it around and pointing it at Ara, as if telling her to listen properly. However, she continued to point in a semi-circle around her to the rest of the people and proclaimed, "Eat more!" 

At wits' end, Ara got up, "hurry up and tell me! Who is it!" Unfortunately, no one paid her any heed. Even Taepyeong who initiated a cheers with Grandma, his boss, Myungsoo and Namsu. 

Turning to Shiyoung, she put on the best puppy dog face she could muster, shook Shiyoung's arm and whined, "Why! Tell me Unnie!" 

"Let me go! It's dropping!" Shiyoung laughed as the watched the piece of meat slowly slip from between her metal chopsticks. Seeing that, Taepyeong picked up a freshly-grilled piece of meat, placing it in Shiyoung's bowl. "Noona, here's one for you!" 

"Unnie!" Ara continued to whine. She had released Shiyoung and retreated into the corner of the room, crossing her arms over her chest and pouted like a spoiled child. 


That night, after everyone had gone home and the boisterious chatter in the small home had died down to the low rustling of leaves in the distance, Taepyeong lay on his futon, reflecting on what had gone down during dinner. 

Were there really no strings attached? Taepyeong had said it so confidently but really, only he knew his true heart. 

Even though it hurt his heart to say it, even though he knew what he truly wanted, Taepyeong couldn't give in. He still had his grandmother to take care of, he had to make sure Taehyun didn't go astray in her impressionable years, that Taeseok and Hanbi grew up healthy and well and on top of all that, to be able to earn all that money to pay for the rent and their food. He really didn't need to waste his time and resources on a girl. 

Over on the other side of the city, a certain Cho Ara lay motionless on her king-sized bed, staring up at an elaborate mural painted on her ceiling. 

"I really want to thank you for today but no strings attached please, I don't have time for a girlfriend." Taepyeong's words replayed over and over in her head, as if mocking her at her inability to find a boyfriend. It was funny really, when Ara thought about. She had initially fallen so hard for Taepyeong, thinking he was an heir to a large money-lending firm only to have that crushed when she followed him home. Then, she told herself that she couldn't be in love with him - he was a mere peasant and she was a princess - they weren't meant to be. Yet, she found herself yearning more and more for him each day, found herself walking that extra mile to his school to just catch a glimpse of him each day. 

It was as if life was playing a cruel joke on her. 


WOOOH I'M BACK I'm sorry for leaving all of y'all hanging! Thank you for all the subscribers I'll be really honest here - I wasn't expecting any since my story is the only one in the Tomorrow Boy tag and yeah.... It's all about Tomorrow Boy I'm not even using N's name here. But!!! I'm thankful to all those that subscribed and commented! I hope this lives up to your expectations? I literally wrote this  over the entire month... hahah >< If possible, I'll try to upload every month? But with my exams approaching I'm really not so sure.... Sorry >< Hope y'all like it! (: