The Midnight Hour

The Midnight Hour

Darkness falls across the land

The midnight hour is close at hand

Creatures crawl in search of blood

To terrorize y'alls neighborhood

“I can’t believe you made me sit through that! You know scary movies freak me out!” He brought me to his chest and gave me a comforting hug while we made our way to the car. “I’m sorry; I really didn’t think it would be that frightening.” He laughed at the sight of my pout before his lips met my forehead. “You just wanted an excuse to comfort me liar.” He grinned slightly before his face became serious. See, I knew it!

“Maybe. Then again your scare level is nonexistent. Anything scares your pants off.” We stopped before the car door, a chill running through my spine from the cool wind circling around us. He fumbled with the keys while giving me a cheeky smile in apology. “What’s wrong?”

“You like walking right? I mean, it isn’t too cold and it can be a romantic end to the night.” He stood there grinning sheepishly while he

“Kim Sunggyu, did you leave the keys in the car again?”

“Is this a trick question?” We both laughed at his silliness before we made our way to his apartment. Maybe this could be sort of romantic. “Oh no, I stepped on gum!” Maybe.

Our hands entwined tenderly, walking hand in hand through the vacant streets. I looked around and realized just how vacant the streets seemed to be. “Is today a holiday or something?” Sunggyu looked at me curiously before be pursed his lips, his eyes squinting cutely while the thought about it for a while. “I don’t think so, why?”

“Well the streets are pretty empty. It’s a little eerie.”  I glared as he chuckled at my uneasiness. “You’re so cute when you’re scared. The streets are probably empty because it’s pretty late.” He quickly glanced down at his watch and nodded as his suspicions were confirmed. “Yup, its 11:50PM see that’s probably why. All the normal people are in bed or getting ready for it.” I laughed and decided to brush the paranoia off.

My nose twitched as the air became thick with an awful stench. My hand instantly shot up to cover my nose and mouth before I puked from the odor. “Yuck, what the hell is that funky smell?” Sunggyu mirrored my movements and shook his head rigorously. “I donaht knahhw,” it came out muffled against his sleeve coat. The further we walked down the street the more potent that smell got. He tugged on my hand and brought me closer to him in an effort to comfort me. “Come on; let’s walk a little faster so we can get home.”  He pulled me as his steps became more hurriedly.

“Sunggyu, what…what is that up ahead?” A shriek escaped my trembling lips, my hands frantically tugging on the hem of his sleeve. “Sunggyu, Sunggyu we need to leave!” He stood frozen in place with a horror-stricken face. “It can’t be,” He whispered in a soft monotone voice. “Sunggyu!” Thankfully he snapped out of his stupor and we began to run in the opposite direction of that thing. I felt tears prickle at my eyes in fear. I shivered violently, the cold night’s air proving to have an effect on me.

I could feel my lungs burn with as we kept on running hand in hand. I suddenly stopped as he called my name, “what’s wrong?” “Oh my god, oh my god!” I turned to the source of his freak out and began to sob. “Sun-Sunggyu…what are they?” 

He hugged me tightly to his chest, his trembling body causing the vibrations to course through my frame as well. “I don’t know, I don’t know!” He repeated religiously into my hair.

Moans echoed through the night as these contorted figures limped aimlessly around the streets. Fear coursed through my veins at the sight of them. Many of them had missing body parts as dark looking blood oozed from their almost nonexistent eyes and various openings in their body. Some were foaming from the mouth while others ate away at their own rotted flesh. The sight had me running to the nearest wall to regurgitate the contents of my stomach.

Sunggyu frantically followed behind me, the sound of his heavy breathing infiltrated my ears before our heads shot up at the sound of a groan. We turned our attention to the source of the noise, our eyes almost popping out of our sockets. One of those things was heading towards us with a violent look in his eye. Before I could react, Sunggyu roughly pulled me by the wrist into open area, but it was too late, the others had begun to chase us as well.

They began to circle us teasingly like a cat playing with a mouse. Sunggyu and I were back to back against each other, our hands gripped tightly against one-another. “Baby,” My eyes flickered briefly before I rested them back on our predators. “What…what is it Sunggyu?”

“I need you to run. Run and don’t look back, no matter what you hear, don’t you dare look back.” My heart clenched at the sound of his cracking voice. I gripped his hands tighter as he tried to break free from my hold. “No, no, no! Don’t do this. I won’t leave you.” He turned to me with cold eyes, “Shut up and run when I tell you.” He charged his frame to at the crowding bodies and was able to make an exit. He screamed my name at the top of his lungs which snapped me back to reality, “run, run now!” I sprinted off as I was told, not looking back despite the sound of his agonizing cries. I sobbed while my aching legs carried me as far as possible.

I stopped abruptly once I realized that these things were everywhere. They began to encircle me, their bloodied hands slightly touching my body. I tried to push them off but to no avail. They just kept pouring in. One of them readied himself to take a bite out of me. I closed my eyes…

“Wake up!” My body shot up in fear at the sudden shake. “Sunggyu?” He looked at me with worrisome eyes, his hand rubbing my back soothingly. “You were having a nightmare. Are you okay?”

My shaky hand went to hold my aching head while I slowly nodded. “I told you we shouldn’t have seen that movie.” His lips pressed against my cheek tenderly as he apologized between each kiss he gave me. “I won’t do it again, I promise.” He wrapped his arms around my waist and lifted me from the bed, carrying me to the front door before he placed me on my feet. “Let’s get you home. Your roommate will throw a fit if you don’t get back soon.” I laughed while he placed a kiss on my forehead.

He turned his body to reach for his coat, his back suddenly tensed. “Sunggyu…are you alright?” He lifted his head, his face reflecting in the mirror. I didn’t fail to notice the look in his blood red eyes. 

 

Fin



I think I made hamster braver than what he would actually be. Hah! Excuse any typos, I'll edit them later. 

Edit: Okay so I take it kids these days don't watch Miachel Jackson MV's. The story will make sense if you watch the ending of the MV starting at: 11:22 (<-click to go through.)