In The Dark

Thirteen Monsters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Together the ten of them entered the building, heads held high despite the fear creeping in their bones. Weapons at the ready, Nari led the group. She was the informal leader. Chanyeol glanced at Minseok, the perfect boy from his orphanage and Chen, a boy he half recognized from his childhood. He thought Minseok was dead. Turns out he wasn't. Of course the perfect boy lived. Of course he lived when Kris died. He gritted his teeth. No, this is not the time for this. But he couldn't help it. What would Kris think if he walked to his death with strangers and the perfect child? Kris didn't teach him to act like this. Kris taught him to be strong, to be independent. "Don't rely on others, because eventually they let you down. And when they let you down you get hurt." Chanyeol didn't want to get hurt anymore. So he never relied on people, apart from Kris, and look where that got him. Kris was right, and had always been right. Being independent is better, it always is. That way you only have yourself to blame, look after, and rely on. There is no need to share his burden with others.

"Stop."

Nari whispered, but the building was so silent her whisper echoed around them. They all stood in pitch black, staring blindly ahead. Chanyeol didn't like this, not one bit. He hated being weak. And not being able to see, that was a weakness. He could not see Sehun, who was standing by his side. He heard the shuffling of feet and the breathes of the fellow survivors. Just how long would they stay survivors? He wondered. That man, Tao, he was a survivor. Until he was killed. It would happen to all of them eventually, when was his time going to come?

"There's water ahead. Seems like the floor of this place collapsed-It's not that deep, we can walk through it. Be wary of animals. I doubt there will be any but we have to stay careful. Follow me." He heard the sound of water rippling, and one after the other everyone clambered into the water. It was freezing against his skin. The water ended just above his hips. He lifted his weapon higher, so it was hovering over the water. The water seeped through his clothes. Cold traveled to his bones. He heard the shivers of someone's jaw. It was probably the weakling, Suho. That boy was probably from a protective rich family, he probably never had to lift a finger his entire life. Which made him wonder why Kyungsoo tried so hard to protect him. It was obvious that Kyungsoo was strong, from years of harshness. All Suho was to Kyungsoo was useless, heavy luggage weighing him down. No one had time to carry someone else's weight now.

 Nari forged ahead, calling out warnings, instructions. He still didn't know how she knew what to do. It was as if she was raised to survive the apocalypse. A very radiated, strange, and terrifying apocalypse. I would take Zombies over this anyday. He had played a few games with Kris. They were all about the end of humanity. Robots took over, aliens invaded, Zombies skulked the ea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter