Chapter 2

Unexpectedly

I've never thought I would spend more time with this pretty angel. Ever since the last time we met, I started dropping by very often to the store just to meet her. My day felt incomplete without her presence. Is this love? I don't know actually. I wondered did she felt the same way like I do. 'How's your day?' It became our daily conversation. 'Well it wouldn't become better without seeing you.' I still couldn't believe that came from my mouth. Sana's cheeks turned pinkish unknowingly. I liked to . I mean she's just that clumsy little squirrel that never failed to make me smile. We shared stories of our lives. I found out that she came to Korea few years ago while her family is still back in Japan. I asked her out several times. We went for the movies. Spending our time at the amusement park or the ice ring. I've never felt this way before. My date with her was unforgettable. I never grew tired of her company. It felt right when she rested her head on my shoulder. And I loved her addictive strawberry scent. At the moment, it seemed like the whole world had stopped moving. Just the two of us. Together. Forever. 

 
Just like the other days, I visited her in her workplace without fail. I sat at my usual place, sipping away coffee peacefully. Sana was behind the counter, probably counting the profit for the day. Ding dong. A drunk man came in and approached the counter. 'Get me a box of condoms!' Tsk tsk tsk how rude. Sana was a bit taken aback and went to the shelves. The impatient man groaned and stomped his feet on the floor. 'What's taking you so long! Haven't seen a before aye? Want me to try it on you?' That's it. I had enough. I stood up and went up to the guy frustratedly. 'Mind your words mister. I want you to apologize to her now.' I held my fist tightly and I can feel that my whole face was turning red. 'Hold up right there. Who do you think you are? Her little pet protecting her master? How cute', the man smirked. Sana quickly took the box and hand it to him. 'I'm so sorry mister. Here you go.' She kept on bowing apologetically. 'Next time better keep your pet quiet and shut. The man snickered and left the store. 
 
'Sana-ya, how can let him go? He's so rude and....' 
 
'Please calm down. What else do you want me to do? He's just an unreasonable customer after all. Customers are always right.' 
 
'No! He ually harassed you for goodness sake!! You can just let him go like that?!' 
 
Sana seemed shocked at my actions. I've never shown my anger to her before. Ding dong. Another customer arrived. 'Miss, do you have this brand of detergent here?' It was an old lady. Sana ignored me and went up to help the lady. I was left dumbfounded at the counter not knowing what to do. I looked at my watch. I should go now. There's no point staying here arguing with Sana. I thought. I left the store without telling her. 
 
'Thank you for coming. See you next time.' Sana greeted the old lady. Tick tick tick. The only sound she can hear from the clock. The silence was overwhelming and it troubled her. He left without saying goodbye. She thought. 'The person you have dialed is unavailable, please leave a message after this beep.' She sighed for the nth time. The last thing that Sana wanted is someone she cared so much left her. 
 
One week had passed. I didn't make my time to see her every time after work. Maybe it's better this way. At least that's what I thought. Grom grom. I saw a thunder slashed across the sky. I quicken my pace as the grey clouds started to gather in the sky. Within seconds, the rain started to pour heavily. I held my suitcase over my head as I made my way to the opposite side. Little did I know, I entered the shop where Sana was in. I looked up feeling familiar with this place. 'Welcome to ..' We locked our eyes together. It's been a week since we last seen each other. I broke the eye contact and started drying my suitcase instead. How did I got into here? 'It's cold out there you should have this.' Sana handed me a cup of hot chocolate. Wait isn't this... Dejavu? I couldn't reject her pleading eyes. I slightly bowed to her to show my gratitude and took the cup from her hand. Once again our hands touched. My heart started thumping non stop and I get butterflies in my stomach. No words can describe how I felt that time. It took me a while to realize the reason I fell for her in the first place. Oh dear how much I've missed her. 
 
I finished the drink and picked up my suitcase preparing to leave. 'Have you eaten dinner? I .. mean are you hungry?' She suddenly asked. I hesitated. 'Don't go. I'm sorry for that day. I shouldn't treat you like that. You didn't come over and didn't answered my calls. I was really worried for you. I thought you were angry and you wouldn't want to see me anymore. ' she confessed with her head hung low. 
 
'I missed you. I missed your presence. I missed our silly conversations and I missed you walking me home every time after work. I.. I think I like you oppa-ya. Can you please stay? I don't want to lose you again.' 
 
I walked to Sana and embraced her tightly. 'I'm sorry Sana-ya. I shouldn't be angry at you for no reason. I missed you badly too! I missed us being together. Not staying apart. It hurts me too but I'm such a coward. I don't have the guts to meet you after what I've done. I felt terrible these days. Please forgive me Sana-ya. Will you forgive this idiot fool? I promise I will not leave you ever again. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry'. I felt her nod in my embrace. And we hugged for the longest time. 'Let's stay like this forever. I won't leave you and you won't have to worry for me. Saranghae jagiya.' I whispered in her ear. She looked at me with this smile that made me breathless and wonderstrucked  yet I want to be the reason behind her every smile. Let me protect you forever Minatozaki Sana.