Chapter 1

The First Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

PART I

Looking up at the ceiling of her bedroom, Park Soo-young had a dilemma. Work was waiting for her but her bed was currently keeping her warm despite the cold weather outside. Wiggling her toes a bit, she sighed gently wiping her eyes and reached out to the right to retrieve her phone from the nightstand. Squinting at the bright light that illuminated her suddenly, she placed her phone aside, throwing her legs over she lifted up from the bed.

Soo-young proceeded to her bathroom and began her morning routine. The last touch was a hint of lipstick and just like that, she was ready to go. Grabbing her green jacket, keys, and purse she exited her small apartment.  Walking down a steep hill that led her to the streets, she could see the sun was barely rising in the horizon. She’d like to think that her home came with the best view in the city; it was true enough for her at least.

Arriving at the flower shop in which she worked and owned, Soo-young did her usual work routine. She unlocked the door, opening it a bit just to see if the bell attached to it would ding. Then she flipped over the closed sign to reveal the open side. Sliding the screens upward caused the light to reveal the inside of the shop completely swarm by flowers of different sizes and colors. Some were in a transparent refrigerator with papers attached to them showing an estimated time of arrival; which represented her customers. Her shop was small but it was in a perfect part of the city. It was never slow but it was never crowded. It was just the right balance. Especially for a one-woman crew.

Once that was done, she took a broom next to the register and started to clean around before any customers arrived. About halfway into finishing, she quickly turned when the bell dinged.

“Hello. Wel-.” Pausing mid-sentence, she laughed softly upon seeing who it was.

“Oppa. What are you doing here?” The person who had surprised her was her best friend; Kim Jun-myeon. Soo-young set her broom aside and walked to greet him with a warm hug. She did most of the contact because he had his hands full.

“I brought breakfast because knowing you, you probably haven’t had anything to eat.” He walked towards a small table next to a window and placed the food down.

“Come. Eat. Or you’re going to force me to buy you more furniture.” Soo-young nodded her head and immediately ran towards the older boy.

“No, no. You’ve done enough for me. You don’t give me a chance to say thank you before you’re already doing something else for me.” Placing a soft kiss on his cheek, Soo-young sat across from him and unwrapped a chocolate croissant. Jun-myeon smiled at her and did the same.

“How’s the wedding arrangement for that customer going for you?” Soo-young wrinkled her nose as if she just saw something unpleasant. 

“I still have about twenty arrangements to do. I couldn’t say no to them, it’s my first big order since I opened. It would help bring people in.” Jun-myeon wiped his mouth with a napkin after biting into his croissant.

“Why haven’t you hired more people to help you, Soo-young? You’re just one person. Who are these people anyway?” Soo-young bit into her food just as Jun-myeon began speaking and couldn’t help but laugh a little at how silly she must have looked when biting a piece of the messy pastry.

“I am fine at the moment, Oppa. Besides, I want to get more clients to even be able to afford to pay anyone who wishes to work for me.” Cleaning up the remaining bits of crumbs off the edges of her lips and the table, Soo-young went through the pockets of her jacket. What she took out of one of the pockets was a business card.

“They told me they represented their client and gave me this. It has the address of the place I have to deliver the flowers to later today.” Jun-myeon's eyes opened in astonishment upon hearing Soo-young's statement.

“Today? Soo-young, you’re going to finish twenty arrangements today? That’s impossible.” The girl moved her index finger side to side and nodded her head.

“Ah, no Oppa. Nothing is impossible for Park Soo-young. You best believe that.” Jun-myeon laughed and checked his watch.

“I have to go. Work is calling me. I’ll stop by later with food for our movie night.” Soo-young clapped and hugged her best friend goodbye and like that, she was alone in her world. Sighing contently, she cleaned up and started on her work not knowing what was coming.  

PART II

Leaving Soo-young’s flower shop, Jun-myeon brought out his cellphone from his coat pocket and was so distracted that he didn’t see the young woman approaching him; who was also distracted. Suddenly, their bodies came into contact, which caused Jun-myeon to drop his phone and grasp onto the woman’s arm.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” The sudden crash, moved her hair towards her face so it wasn’t until she gently placed some of the strands of hair behind her ear that their eyes connected. Jun-myeon stayed mesmerized by her light brown eyes that made everything go silent. His own eyes followed to her lips, which were making out words but he didn’t understand until she took back her arm.

“Sir, next time try and watch the scenery around you. For example; the flowers, the sky and maybe the people in front of you. That’ll help keep your phone in tact.” She giggled and bent down to get Jun-myeon’s phone for him extending her hand out.

“Thank you. But you were also distracted.” The girl arched an eyebrow and bit her lips slightly.

“Ah, so you were watching me. You could have avoided our encounter had you been paying attention.” Jun-myeon took back his phone from her hands and placed it in his coat.

“And have me miss someone like you? That would be a crime.” His eyes wondered around her porcelain features, taking in her beauty.

“A crime would be speaking to a pretty girl like me without any intention of asking for a phone number.” Placing her hands behind her back, she moved forward and backwards using the heels of her shoes.

“Aren’t you forward?”

Please log in to read the full chapter