... there's a smile ready to embrace him

Beyond The Gate

 

Ryeowook is an only child belonging to a wealthy family. His whole childhood life is spent inside that huge gate that surrounds their mansion. Every day he wished he could play with those kids outside their gate. Once he tried to escape but his parents found him out and scolded him for trying to play with those ‘poor’ children.

“WE belong to high society; they don’t fit in our circle.” His mom haughtily said, with her nose raised.

“But why mommy? It’s boring here, I don’t have any playmates.” Asked the pitiful Ryeowook, hugging his puppy. “Because we are priceless gems and they are worthless filth.” Answered his mom. He tried to beg but one look from his mom rendered him speechless.

 

One day, he almost had the chance to play with them…

“Hey kid!” called the kids outside. He looked at them.

“Can you throw us our ball?” one of them asked, he had that warm smile on his face. Ryeowook nodded and ran towards the ball.

“Want to play with us?” the same boy asked.

“I- I…” Ryeowook hesitated, still holding the ball.

“Aren’t you lonely inside, always playing by yourself?”

Ryeowook need not say anything; his expression could answer for him. Without waiting for Ryeowook’s answer one of them who looked like a Chinese expertly opened the gates without making a sound. Ryeowook’s eyes widened form shock. “Eunhyuk is good at this stuff.” Explained the boy with a laugh, as he pulled Ryeowook out the gates.

“But I’m not supposed to—“

“You like playing alone?”

“No.” Ryeowook softly said, with his head down. “But I don’t know you. I’m not supposed to talk to strangers.”

“I’m Donghae and this one here is Eunhyuk my twin brother.”

“You don’t look alike.”

“Fraternal. So wanna join our team?” Ryeowook smiled widely and nodded. But before he could step out of their gate, one strong, yet gentle hand held him back. “You’re not allowed to play outside the house young master.” The Chinese butler said. He took the ball from Ryeowook’s arms and placed them in Donghae’s, pulled Ryeowook back inside and locked the gates. “I’m sorry but young master Ryeowook can’t play with you today.” The butler firmly said, looking intimidating.

“How about tomorrow?” asked Donghae.

“No.”

“The day after tomorrow?” Donghae persisted

“No.” the butler already looked irritated; he anticipated another stupid question from the kid so he continued. “Young master Ryeowook will NOT play outside the boundary of this gate that surrounds the Kim’s Mansion.” Then he pulled Ryeowook with him.

 “I’m sorry.” He mumbled to the boys outside before he was forced to get back inside. Ryeowook was already in tears when he went inside the house together with the butler.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Few months later, as he waited for the car’s flat tire to be changed, Ryeowook saw Donghae across the road dancing to some music only he could hear. Looking at the boy dancing made him laugh. He decided to go to him and stealthily got out of the car. “HEY!” he called, surprising Donghae. Donghae turned around to see Ryeowook smiling at him. The smile slowly faded though.

“You’re that kid in that HUGE house.” Donghae finally said after what seems to be forever.

“I thought you forgot, I was embarrassed you know.” Ryeowook said with a relief.

“Sorry, you surprised me there. Took me awhile to remember. You managed to escape?” Donghae said with that warm smile.

Ryeowook pointed at the car behind them. “Flat tire.” He said with a shrug.

Donghae’s expression turned mischievous. “Let’s totally escape. Eunhyuk and the boys are waiting for me at the basketball court at the park just around that corner, want to come with?”

“Sure, but I’m not really good at sports.” Ryeowook replied sheepishly.

“Doesn’t matter! Let’s just scram before they notice you disappeared.” Donghae took one of Ryeowook’s hands and led the way for them.

 

Ryeowook was already catching his breath while Donghae acted like nothing happened when they arrived at the courts. “Man, you really don’t do sports.” Mocked Donghae.

“I told you so.” Ryeowook breathed.

Donghae introduced him to his friends and made it sure that Ryeowook felt like he belonged. They were beginning to have fun when Ryeowook’s driver and butler came. “Young master.” Called the butler. Ryeowook froze.

“Mr. Mean Butler, can’t Wookie play some more, he has finally got one shot.” Donghae said nonchalantly. “Wookie?” asked the butler, surprised at the name-calling.

“Yes. Wookie.” Donghae said innocently.

The butler turned to look at Ryeowook who hid behind the strong –looking kid Kangin. “What’s your name?” he asked softly, looking back at Donghae. Donghae replied willingly. The butler smiled, Ryeowook was surprised to see his butler smile like that to anyone. “My apologies to you Donghae but young master can’t stay for too long. We have to leave.” At the word ‘leave’ Ryeowook was instantly at the butler’s side.

“It was fun. Thanks Donghae, thanks guys.” Ryeowook said with a smile.

 

It took another few months before they could meet. Ryeowook was again playing inside the premise alone, making snow man and snow angel on his own with his pet. ~pssst!~ someone hissed. He turned around and saw Donghae waving at him. A smile immediately spread across his face. He ran towards the gate and greeted Donghae, his dog faithfully followed. “Wanna come play? A snow ball battle will begin soon.” Invited Donghae.

“Sorry. Can’t leave remember.”

“That Chinese butler isn’t here anyway, I’ll take you back before they know you were gone.” Again Donghae didn’t wait for Ryeowook’s reply and called for his twin. Eunhyuk popped from nowhere and opened the gates.

“You’re a boy for God’s sake! It’s your nature to be rebellious.” Said Eunhyuk as he and Donghae dragged him along with them.

 

Ryeowook, as usual, needed lots of time to get conditioned in the game and Donghae did a great job of protecting him from the snowballs hurled at them. As Donghae promised he returned Ryeowook to their mansion before anyone would look for him. “See, I told you I’d get you back before they’d notice you were gone.” Donghae said in an I-told-you-so manner with a grin. Ryeowook shyly smiled and thanked Donghae. “That’s what friends do so there’s no need to thank me. We ARE friends right?” he said, messing up Ryeowook’s hair. “Yes.” Ryeowook replied with a nod.

“See you tomorrow?”

“Maybe.”

“Bye Wookie.”

“Bye… Hae.” Ryeowook feels strange calling someone informally but it made him warm all over.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Hey Mr. Mean, Chinese Butler sir.” Donghae called and waved at the butler. He was waiting outside the gate for Ryeowook but instead saw the butler instead.

“My name is Hankyung Donghae, please if you will call me do call me by that name.” informed the butler, annoyed by the nick name.

“Okay, Mr. Hankyung where is Wookie. I know you said he’s not allowed to play but give him some slack.”

“I’m sorry but young master can’t come out.”

“I’ll wait for him.” Donghae challenge, looking serious to match his so-called threat.

“Do what you want but young master Ryeowook can’t play with you just like yesterday.” And Hankyung the butler went back inside.

 

Donghae waited as he had said but gave up when his brother came for him 15 minutes later.

“He has finally left young master.” Hankyung notified.

“I saw him wait and leave Hankyung, no need to tell me.” Ryeowook pouted. He was standing behind the curtains observing Donghae outside the cold winter and leave when Eunhyuk came for him.

“I’m sorry. Anyway, it’s time to change the dressings of your wound.” Hankyung said stoically, with a tray filled with new bandages, plaster, a small basin, well basically materials needed for wound dressing. Ryeowook sat in his four-poster bed and took off his shirt.

 “Sorry that you got yourself into this mess because of me.” Ryeowook said, wincing from the pain.

“It is my duty to serve you young master. It was my fault to have let you walk out of the premises.” Hankyung said as he applied the medication over Ryeowook’s injuries. Ryeowook was still wincing and sobbing, he easily cries especially if he knows that others are hurt in his behalf.

“But… you got punish because of me… If I just stayed inside like I was supposed to, mommy wouldn’t hurt you! I’m sorry!” Ryewook was really crying like the child that he is. Seeing Hankyung’s bandaged hands ached his heart. Hankyung turned Ryeowook around to face him, wiped his tears with his hands and chuckled.

“I swore to protect and serve you. I took care of you since your birth I wouldn’t just stand around while your dear mother punishes you. What lie would you tell your lover in the future once she sees those scars on your back?”

“I got them from the military training?”

Hankyung laughed again. “Maybe, but it would do us best if you just listen to your mother no matter how much it pains you, okay?” Ryeowook nodded.

 

It was a few weeks later that he was allowed to play outside again. He kept looking at the gates hoping for Donghae to show up but he didn’t.

He must’ve gotten tired waiting day by day for nothing, now he really didn’t show up.

Ryeowook never missed a day of Donghae’s visits, always watching him from his room.

“Missed me?” said Donghae in a sing-song voice. He had that huge, playful smile on his face again. Ryeowook ran towards the gate and stopped few inches before it. He still had some fresh wounds which he doesn’t want Donghae to know of. “Where have you been all week?” asked Donghae.

“Sick.” He lied.

“Bummer. Anyway wanna go play again?”

“Sorry I can’t. There’s a Christmas Eve’s party we have to attend.”

“Oh… but can you meet me here later this evening?” he saw Ryeowook ready to turn him down. “Please?” he begged with pleading puppy eyes. “I can’t promise you anything Hae.”

“Tonight at 10.” Donghae instructed and left.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*

Donghae waited in front of the gate at 10 pm as he said he would, he waited and waited and he was about to give up until he saw Ryeowook coming, with red, puffy eyes and his left hand with a fresh cut.

“Wookie are you okay? Who hurt you?” he asked in concern.

Ryeowook hid his left hand behind his coat and shook his head. “I’m alright” he lied.

“Show me your hand.” He didn’t give it; Donghae kept pestering him until he showed him his wounded hand. Donghae pressed his lips on Ryeowook’s wounds softly.

 

“A kiss to make the mean boo boo go.” He said, eyes locked on Ryeowook’s, still holding Ryeowook’s hand. Ryeowook could feel a faint blush across his cheeks. “Merry Christmas Wookie!” and Donghae flashed a silver necklace in front of Ryeowook’s face with a silver cross pendant. Ryeowook thought that the best present ever was meeting someone like Donghae beyond that cold, lonely gate.

THE END.