1/1

Of Love and Potions

There is something Jeon Wonwoo always loved.

Silence.

He’s a man of quietude; he loves the silence and peace around him. Rukus and chaos aren’t his forte. They cause headaches and stress that Wonwoo detest to the fullest.

So here he is, in the living room of their dorm, reading a novel on the couch with his reading glasses sitting upon the bridge of his nose. Wonwoo dives into the fictional world without any interruption.

He’s not alone; fortunately Jisoo and Jihoon are also in the dorm and additionally Wonwoo is blessed to have fellow peace and silence lovers.

Jisoo is sitting on the floor with his laptop on his lap, plugged with earbuds that helps him listen clearly to the anime he has been watching for a week now. He squeals from time to time but Wonwoo accepts it, finding it quite adorable actually.

Jihoon is on the other end of the couch, legs propped up as he writes his masterpiece song lyrics, concentrating to himself.

The three of them sip their tea at the same time before reality hits and they wonder how long the silence will last. Today has been the longest. Maybe they’ll actually-

“WE’RE BACKKKKK.

Too late.

Wonwoo shuts his book, Jisoo turns off his laptop and Jihoon puts his pencil down as Mingyu, Soonyoung, Jeonghan, Seungcheol, Seokmin, Seungkwan, and Hansol returns from their play in the park.

Jeonghan latches himself onto Jisoo first, prying him into questions. “Jisoo what are you doing? What anime are you watching? Can I watch too? What episode are you on? What’s it about? Is it gory? Or is it funny? Are you watching Soul Eater?”

Jisoo smiles at the older boy. It’s a good thing Jeonghan is pretty.

Jihoon is next as Soonyoung picks him up like a doll and twirls him around in a tightening hug. “Jihoonie you’re so cute!”

It takes about three seconds for Jihoon to get out of Soonyoung,s grip and hurl the latter across the room, threatening if he’s called the c-word again, he’s not afraid to rip some balls.

Wonwoo gets up from the couch after he decides to escape from the chaos in the living room. He quietly leaves but fails when he bumps into one of the members.

“Wonwoo!”

The said boy groans and waits for the rukus. Mingyu jumps on him, hugging him tightly while smiling that charming smile of his. His hands fall down to Wonwoo’s hips and the older doesn’t admit how much that tickles.

“What.” Wonwoo greets in monotone. He sighs as Mingyu continues to smile. The younger is just always so full of energy, like a puppy, and Wonwoo is unable to take in such amount of brightness.

Mingyu hugs him again, ignoring Wonwoo’s shout of pain. “Let’s go out today!” He says with such happiness. He holds Wonwoo’s hands, swinging them back and forth.

Wonwoo sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Maybe next time.” The older answers. “I want to finish the novel I’m reading. It’s getting to the best part.’

There is a pout from Mingyu but nevertheless he doesn’t give up. “I’ll buy you cheeseburgers.” Mingyu tempts the older who turns his attention after hearing the treat. “It’s on me. I’ll pay.”

Wonwoo’s ears perk up with joy and he forgets all about his novel. But he mentally shakes his head, keeping his cool in front of the other. “Sure.” He says as he tries to hide the surrendering blush that crept onto his cheeks. Mingyu smiles widely and hugs Wonwoo again. “Get off me! God, I don’t understand why you’re always on top of me all the time.”

The older heads out to the door first and Mingyu turns to Soonyoung and gives the latter a thumbs up. “It worked!” He mouths brightly and in return Soonyoung gives a fist pump as if cheering him with good luck.

Almost everyone already knows this (except probably the subject himself) but Mingyu has a big, big crush on his best friend since their trainee days, Wonwoo.

To Mingyu, Wonwoo is the cute and smart and sweet and adorable and cute and cute and cute and-

“You alright?” Wonwoo breaks the silence while they’re walking. “You’re pretty quiet.” For once.

Mingyu laughs. “Me?” He says, pointing to himself. Of course it’s me you idiot, who else? “Yeah I’m fine. Just spaced out a little.” He answers and holds onto Wonwoo’s hand.

Wonwoo purses his lips. “Alrighty then.”

They enter the diner they frequently go to and Mingyu holds Wonwoo close by his waist from the forming crowd of fans. “Stay close.” Mingyu whispers into Wonwoo’s ear and the latter doesn’t answer but look away in embarrassment. So cute.

“Two cheeseburgers.” Mingyu says to the employee. “One plain and the other with onions, lettuce, and ketchup.” He adds before flashing a smile at Wonwoo.

“You know my order?”

Mingyu laughs. “Of course. You always order the same thing.” He knows it by heart actually, but Wonwoo doesn’t need to know that.

The two sit in the corner of the diner, away from the crowd that Wonwoo isn’t too fond of. When their orders arrive, Mingyu laughs at how fast Wonwoo digs into the meal.

They walk around the shopping mall after their meal. Wonwoo picks out some outfits (most of them are of black and dark colors) and questions Mingyu if it’ll look well on him.

“You look nice in everything.” Mingyu says with a flash of a smile. Wonwoo gives a small chuckle before shaking his head.

“That doesn’t help.”

Sometimes Mingyu wonder if Wonwoo shares the same feeling he does for the older. There had been hints like sometimes Wonwoo likes to cuddle up next to him when the group has their regular movie night. Or like when Hansol falls asleep on Wonwoo’s bed and the older has to move into Mingyu’s bed for the night.

But still after all that, the answer still remains inconclusive. Mingyu could try to ask the older directly instead, but he gets choked up on the question every single time and misses the chance.

“Are you having some love trouble young man?”

Mingyu turns to the sudden voice to see a small mysterious stand in the alley. It’s a small old woman, dressed in a purple cloth with what seemed like a crystal ball.

“Me?” Mingyu points to himself and the woman nods slowly.

“You seem to be having some trouble with love, am I correct?”

Mingyu’s eyes widen. Wonwoo had gone off to the clothing store right next to them while Mingyu waits outside. He walks towards the woman. “Yeah, how did you do?”

“I know everything.” The woman answers. “I seems you’re in love with someone, but the other doesn’t seem to share the same feeling.”

Mingyu gulps. Does Wonwoo really not have the same feelings for him?

The woman smiles, in a creepy way. “I can help you with that.”

“How…?”

“A love potion, young man.” The woman says and puts a bottle of a bubbling pink liquid onto the small table. “Have your love drink one sip of this and you’ll become irresistible to them.”

“Does...does it really work?”

“Of course, child! I’ll even give it to you for free.”

Mingyu gulps again. His mother always told him to not talk to strangers but hey his mother isn’t here right now so that should be an exception.

“Alright I’ll take it.”

 


 

“Oh, you’re back.” Soonyoung says when Mingyu and Wonwoo walks through the door. He waves to the others as Jihoon is by his side, playing the games on his phone. “What did you buy?”

“Some clothing.” Wonwoo answers as he kicks off his shoes. He looks at Mingyu. “I’ll be in my room.”

Mingyu nods and watches as Wonwoo goes down the hall before rushing towards Soonyoung. “Hyung, we need to talk.” He says and detaches Soonyoung from Jihoon to the kitchen. The older raises his brow and Mingyu looks around to see if they’re alone.

“What is it?”

“You see…” Mingyu leans into the older’s ear and whispers. Soonyoung nods along before the subject and he widens his eyes.

“YOU BOUGHT WHAT.”

“SHUSH!” Mingyu pleads. “I haven’t even given to him yet.”

“Mingyu, this sounds like bologna.”

“No seriously look.” Mingyu whips out the bottle that reveals the bubbling pink liquid and Soonyoung stares at it for a couple of minutes.

“Looks legit. Tell me if it works so I can use it on Jihoon.”

“Use what on me?” Jihoon deadpans when he walks into the room. He crosses his arm and leans against the doorframe. “Soonyoung what were you shouting about earlier?”

“Oh uh,” Soonyoung gives Mingyu a look. “Nothing, Mingyu just killed a bug that’s all.”

Jihoon hums. “Idiots.” He mumbles under his breath before returning back to the living room. The two idiots give a big breath of relief before looking at each other.

“I’m going to give it to him now.” Mingyu says. “I’m going to tell him it’s lemonade.”

“Sounds legit. Good luck.”

 

Mingyu heads his way upstairs with the drink in hand. He had poured it into a glass cup and knocks on the door of Wonwoo’s room.

“Come in.” Wonwoo’s voice says and Mingyu slowly opens the door, his long legs almost tripping over the other. The older is on his bed, reading his novel/ “What’s up?” Wonwoo asks when he sees the taller.

Mingyu gives a shy shrug. “Just wondering if you’d like a drink.” He says. “I poured you some lemonade.”

There’s an awkward silence before Wonwoo smiles. “Thanks.” he says and places the drink on the table stand next to him. “I’ll drink it in a few minutes. The book is getting to the best part.”

Mingyu nods and plops himself down on the other side of Wonwoo’s bed. He stares as Wonwoo reads the book so diligently. The older is so focus and Mingyu could stare at him all day.

He didn’t know how long he had been staring until he falls asleep.

 


 

“Mingyu...Mingyu~...MINGYU!”

Mingyu snaps open his eyes, revealing a very happy looking Wonwoo in front of him. The older is crouching down from off the bed, smiling ever so much at the young. “You’re awake!” Wonwoo cheers loudly and jumps himself onto the said boy. “Mingyu’s awake!”

The younger blinks through his sleepy eyes and scratches the back of his head. Wonwoo is on top of him, his knees on either side of Mingyu’s thighs. “You’re so cute when you just wake up.” he comments with a giggle.

A giggle.

Wonwoo just giggle.

Confused, Mingyu slowly blinks at Wonwoo who in return pouts. “What’s wrong, Mingyu?” He asks. “Are you sick? Are you hurt?”

Mingyu furrows his brows. “No...are you?”

“What? Silly, I’m fine!”

Mingyu is still confused. He looks around the room and to the left where he sees the empty cup. His eyes widen.

Wonwoo drank the whole cup of love potion.

“Wonwoo, did you-” Mingyu doesn’t finish when Wonwoo suddenly presses his lips against his own and Mingyu mentally shouts, backing up upon the bed. “Wonwoo!”

The older blinks. “What’s wrong?” He asks oh so cutely. “Are you sick?”

“Y-You just kissed me.”

“Um, yeah? What, I can’t kiss my boyfriend?”

BOYFRIEND, Mingyu thinks. The potion worked. The love potion actually worked.

Wonwoo pouts and Mingyu finds that the cutest expression he has ever seen. “You’re acting weird.” Wonwoo says with a huff and sits down on Mingyu’s lap.

The younger lets out a small laugh. “I uh, just woke up that’s why.” He covers, “You know how weird I am when I wake up.”

Wonwoo ponders at the statement, looking up at the ceiling and tapping his chin. “I guess you’re right.” he says before flashing a smile and meeting their lips again. Mingyu smiles into the kiss, happy that he finally has Wonwoo in his arms, even if it’s through some potion. “You’re so cute! Wonwoowoo could just kiss you all day!”

Mingyu blinks. W-Wonwoowoo? Is he referring to himself in third person?

“Hey Mingyu did you-,” Soonyoung walks into the room and stops to see the happy Wonwoo sitting on top of Mingyu on the bed. He hums at the very suggestive scene. “Oh wow.” He could only say and Mingyu gives an embarrassing laugh.

“I told you it’d work.” Mingyu says to Soonyoung once they’re out of the other members’ sights. Soonyoung nods in response.

“Yo, pass me that potion for Jihoon, man.”

“Sure thing hyung it’s-,”

“MINGYU.” Wonwoo calls, jumping onto Mingyu’s back and Soonyoung backs up at the such excitement coming from the once silence and peace loving Jeon Wonwoo. “What are you two whispering about?”

“Nothing babe.” Mingyu says, smiling and Wonwoo pecks his cheek. The younger looks at Soonyoung whose mouth is agape at the two. Wonwoo slides down Mingyu’s back and latches onto his arm, giggling.

“Mingyu~ Seungcheol hyung said dinner is ready. Let’s go eat~” Wonwoo says cutely, his fingers playing with the younger’s arm. He gives a small pout and pokes Mingyu’s cheek with his thin finger. “Wonwoowoo is hungry~”

At the dinner table, the other members had trouble eating as they couldn’t take their eyes off Wonwoo and Mingyu sitting at the end of the table.

Wonwoo is practically on the end of his chair feeding Mingyu which such fondness and Mingyu happily eats every bite the older gives him.

“Is Wonwoo feeling alright?” Jihoon whispers over to Jisoo who in return shrugs with the same amount of confusion. “Wonwoo seems a little...different.”

“Mingyu say ah~” Wonwoo cooes, smiling as he feeds the younger. “Is it good? Wonwoowoo made it himself today.”

Mingyu smiles. “It’s delicious. I didn’t know you could cook so well.”

“That makes Wonwoo so happy!” Wonwoo cheers. “Here, Wonwoo will keep feeding you!”

The two continue and Minghao turns to look at Hansol who looks at Chan who looks as Seungcheol. “Since when did those two get together?” Seungcheol asks.

Soonyoung shrugs. “Beats me.”

 


 

“Hey, Hansol hyung?”

“Yeah, Chan?”

“I know it’s been a few days since Wonwoo hyung and Mingyu hyung got together but...don’t you think Wonwoo hyung is being a little...you know?”

“A little what, Chan?”

“You know, a little clingy.”

“Now that you mention it, yeah he is.”

“I mean just look.”

Wonwoo giggles as he hops onto Mingyu’s back, snuggling into his neck. “Mingyugyu~piggyback ride!” He squeals. “Wonwoowoo wants a piggyback ride!”

Mingyu laughs. “Okay, okay.” He says and walks around in circles with Wonwoo hugging him until Seungcheol comes into the living room.

“Hey, Gyu, let’s go the studio now. We’re watching the football game with manager hyung remember?”

“Oh yeah that’s right hyung.” Mingyu says as he places Wonwoo down onto the sofa. He’s about to grab his phone to leave but he’s stop by Wonwoo’s hand grabbing his wrist. “Wonwoo?”

“Where are you going?” Wonwoo whines, pouting. “Stay with me~GyuGyu~” He pleads, pulling Mingyu’s arm like a child wanting candy. Mingyu freezes, mouth a little agape.

“B-but I promised Seungcheol hyung we’ll watch the football game together.”

“NO!” Wonwoo stomps his foot and latches onto Mingyu’s arm, glaring at Seungcheol. “Mingyu is staying with me! Mingyu is mine!”

Seungcheol holds his hands up in defensive. “Whoa, Wonwoo chill, I’m not taking Mingyu away from you. We’re just gonna watch a football game with manager hyung.”

“I said no! Mingyu isn’t leaving Wonwoowoo!”

It took a while but in the end Wonwoo ends up joining the other two watching football. He clings onto Mingyu though, making the latter unable to cheer for the touchdowns as he had wanted to.

“That was fun!” Wonwoo cheers as he walks into the dorm with Mingyu, hugging his arm. He giggles into the younger, not letting him go.

Mingyu sighs. He wonders how long the potion would last. What if it was permanent?

“Mingyu let’s watch a movie!”

“Mingyu let’s shower together!”

“Mingyu let’s go to bed!”

“Mingyu!”

“Mingyu, who’s this Jungkook guy texting you?”

“Mingyu how come you never answer my messages?”

“Mingyu, what’s your phone password.”

“Listen Jungkook, this is Mingyu’s boyfriend, Wonwoo. Back off my man, alright?.”

“Mingyu!”

“Mingyu!”

Mingyu shakes at how many times Wonwoo had called him for the past few days. He understands what it means to “be careful of what you wish for”. This is not what he had intended in the beginning. Yes he wanted Wonwoo to share the same feelings as he did for the older but not like this.

“Mingyu.”

Mingyu’s eyes shot open, staring at the blank ceiling above him. He doesn’t move for a few seconds and turns to examine the room, which Wonwoo is sitting next to him on the bed with a closed book on his lap.

Wonwoo raises a brow. “Are you alright?” He asks in a monotone way.

Mingyu blinks a couple of times. “Won...woo hyung?”

“Uh...yeah?”

Mingyu looks around again.

“Are you okay?” Wonwoo asks. “You’ve been tossing around a lot  in your sleep. I couldn’t even focus on the novel.”

“Sleep?” Mingyu repeats. “Was everything just a dream then?”

“What?” Wonwoo shakes his head at his dumb dongsaeng. “You fell asleep. Were you having a nightmare or something? God you get tossing and turning. It was so annoying.” He says, brushing a strand of hair behind his ear as he looks at the cover of his book.

Mingyu smiles. It wasn’t real. “Thank God!” Mingyu shouts, jumping over to hug Wonwoo.

“W-what, IDIOT GET OFF ME.” Wonwoo kicks Mingyu off his bed before standing up, his face blushing red. “What is wrong with you, you idiot!”

Mingyu chuckles sheepishly. “Sorry, sorry.” He says and notices the empty glass cup next to the bed. His eyes widen. “Wonwoo..did you drink that?”

Wonwoo looks to where the younger points. “Oh the lemonade? Yeah, I drank it.” He answers. “It was a weird drink, quite bubbly to my liking.”

“A-Ah, do you feel um, anything different or something?”

“...no?” Wonwoo glares.”What did you put in that drink.”

Mingyu shakes his head, raising his hands in defense .”Nothing, nothing!” He says and Wonwoo sighs before crossing his arms.

“Weirdo.” Wonwoo comments under his breath and heads towards the door. “Come on, we’re heading to the studio. Most of them are there already.”

Mingyu blinks. “O-Oh, okay.” He says and stands up on his tall limbs. Wonwoo catches him after the younger wobbles a little.

“God, what is really wrong with you?” Wonwoo says and Mingyu laughs.

“Nothing, Wonwoowoo.”

“What did you just call me?”

“Nothing!”

“You know what, whatever, let’s just go.” Wonwoo decides and takes Mingyu’s hand in his before leading him down the stairs. “Soonyoung, we’re going to the studio now. You coming with us?”

“Just a minute!” Soonyoung answers as he’s busy playing a video game. “You guys head there first. I’m almost going to beat Jihoon’s record!”

Wonwoo rolls his eyes. “Whatever.” he says and turns to Mingyu, his hands still with the younger. “Let’s go, Gyu.”

“O-Oh, yeah.”

The two walk hand in hand and thousands of questions run through Mingyu’s mind. Did the potion not work? Is it not love a potion? Is it just a plain drink with coloring dye? A rip off?

“You’re really quiet.” Wonwoo comments out of the blue. He stares into Mingyu’s eyes. “Are you really feelin’ alright? We could head back you know.”

Mingyu shakes his head. “Really, I’m fine.” he smiles and gives Wonwoo’s hand a reassuring squeeze. The older stares back with a concerned look before breaking into a small smile.

“Pabo.” Wonwoo says and they would a couple more steps until Wonwoo feels Mingyu stop in his track. “Gyu?” Mingyu is staring at a familiar dark alley and Wonwoo tilts his head at the younger. “What are you looking at?”

Mingyu shakes his head once again. “Nothing. Let’s go.” He says and Wonwoo gives a small laugh. Mingyu knows now not everything is solved by some dumb potions. This isn’t a fairytale and Mingyu is glad he is with the one and only Wonwoo.


 

“Silly boy.” A familiar voice says once Mingyu is out of sight. The woman laughs. “A love potion won’t work if your target already has the same feelings you share…”


 

Meanwhile…

“YES I FINALLY BEAT JIHOON’S RECORD.” Soonyoung screams through the empty dorm. He fist pumps at his victory and dances and jumps around the room. “Not to rub it into-, whoa!” Soonyoung trips and lands on the floor.

He rubs his arm where he had fallen and looks down to see a strange looking bottle. He picks it up. “Love Potion.” Soonyoung reads out loud at the pink, bubbly liquid.

“Make your love drink this and you will become irresistible around them…” Soonyoung smiles widely. “My boy Mingyu came through!” He cheers. “Now to use this love potion on Jihoon!”