Day 14

Pick a Boo

Ah writer's block :'(


For a ghost, Dongwoo has been thinking a lot. He’s been observing Woohyun ever since that lunch but Woohyun is incredibly passive. He didn’t sit near Haneul during the lunch either. They never did exchange much words throughout. That was rather strange to Dongwoo because his sixth sense cannot be any more accurate. He’s been stalking Woohyun for the past 3 days and he’s 200% sure his suspicion is spot on actually; he would totally bet his life on it if he had one.

Woohyun’s doing this thing again, opening and closing Haneul’s chat without typing anything. He’s been at it for the past few days Dongwoo was there. Dongwoo’s so frustrated that he wishes he could help send at least a hi or something. Woohyun throws his phone on his bed and ruffles his hair in exasperation, already not an unusual sight by now. Woohyun flops onto bed with his arms stretched open. He looks like he’s thinking hard about something but Dongwoo is no mind reader. Today is slightly different because Woohyun gets up after a tiny pep talk. “Just today,” Woohyun says. He shoots right up then heads out with new found resolve. Dongwoo follows him for a little longer today and he finds them at Haneul’s neighbourhood. They are inside a KFC and Woohyun is taking a little too long to eat the chicken for a soccer player with verocious appetite. Dongwoo remembers seeing a KFC just 2 roads down Woohyun’s residence though. Dongwoo puts 2 and 2 together and finally gets it.

“Ok, ok, ok!” Dongwoo says excitedly although Woohyun can’t hear him. He uses both his hands to gesture for him to please stay seated but Woohyun can’t see him either. “Don’t move from this seat until I come back ok?” Dongwoo immediately poofs back to Haneul’s house.

“Where have you been lately?” Haneul asks when she sees Dongwoo passing through her door not so quietly, creating his own sound effect. “You don’t usually come back so late from visiting your home. Your behaviour is really suspicious.” Haneul looks at Dongwoo questioningly.

Dongwoo remembers Woohyun calling Haneul perceptive but boy is this girl extremely observant at the non-important stuff and annoyingly dense in affairs of the heart. He wonders how Woohyun has managed to hide it for so long but Dongwoo has no time to worry about that because he needs to get Haneul out of the house fast.

“Haneulie,” he starts. “Shall we go see a movie?”

“W-what?” Dongwoo can hear Haneul’s voice raising almost an octave. Haneul’s sure her heart just skipped a beat.

“It’s just…” Think, Dongwoo, think. Dongwoo racks his brain to come up with an excuse, any excuse. “It’s on my bucket list.” No, what bucket list! You’re dead, Jang Dongwoo! “I mean my things to do if I have invisibility, which I technically have now.”

Haneul collects herself because after all, what can she expect, but she can’t hide her disdain. She believes she knows guys well enough. “Go by yourself. You have free access to anywhere anyway, including the female shower room.” Sometimes Haneul wants to smack herself hard for the words that shoot out of before going through her brain.

“Gee, Haneul hoobae. What are you saying?” Dongwoo says. “You make me sound like some erted old man.”

“Well, isn’t that every guy’s dream? I am merely stating your thoughts out.”

“You can’t just generalise like this.” Haneul notices the slightly hurt look on her sunbae’s face and she thinks maybe she’s gone too far this time. She really needs to fix that bad habit of hers. “There are guys out there who see you for who you are inside. Maybe you just have to look and you’ll see that the person isn’t that far away actually.” At this point, Haneul doesn’t really know what her sunbae is talking about anymore.

She grabs her jacket and quickly stuffs it into her bag. They are out of the house within minutes. Haneul squirms uncomfortably under her sunbae’s gaze. “Quit staring.”

“You’re really something else you know,” Dongwoo muses.

“What?” Haneul retorts defensively. “Do you feel sorry for me? Having to do things alone.”

“No,” Dongwoo says. “I like your independence.”

Haneul catches herself blushing at his words and she quickly changes the topic. “What do you want to watch anyway?”

“Just choose something that you want to watch, Haneulie.”

Haneul tries hard to not fall deeper. She chants a list of random things in her mind to clear her thoughts.

“Oh, isn’t that Woohyunie?” Dongwoo exclaims, feigning surprise.

Haneul follows his line of sight to see Woohyun in the fast food restaurant, slowly picking at the chicken. Woohyun seems to have felt the eyes on him and he looks up tentatively. His eyes widen to twice their size and he almost falls off the round seat as he fumbles around grabbing the rim of his chair. Haneul pushes the door and makes her way in.

“Why do I see you everywhere, Nam Woohyun ssi.” She says, crossing her arms and looking at Woohyun, burning a hole in his face with her intense stare.

Woohyun fidgets. “Well, I… I wanted to…” He trails off, frantically working out something in his brain.

“That isn’t a question.” Her posture is intimidating since she is towering over him.

“Haneulie, you’re scaring him.” Dongwoo speaks out.

She sighs and takes a seat beside Woohyun. “Well, sorry about that.” Woohyun shakes his head. “You’re here for movie too, aren’t you?”

“Eh?” Woohyun exclaims but he catches on to her ‘too’ because he is extremely quick. “Eh, yea, Civil War too?” He continues, hoping it doesn’t sound too much like a lie. Dongwoo almost wants to send Woohyun a wink and a thumbs up but Haneul can see him. He suddenly feels like a proud parent.

Haneul looks over at Dongwoo for a moment and decides Civil War would probably be good. “Together?” Haneul asks.

Woohyun nearly beams but quickly calms himself. “Do you want to ask the others?” Woohyun really wants it to be just the two of them, but knowing Haneul, she may feel uncomfortable.

Haneul secretly hopes Yena or Mijin or any other girl could be here but she doesn’t want Woohyun to think that she’s still awkward around him despite being friends for 3 years. “I think it’s too rushed for them. Shall we just go ahead? The two of us?”

Woohyun tries to wipe the grin off his face but his heart is exploding in fireworks and he’s so happy he’s sure this is paradise.

Woohyun catches the way Haneul flinches when the suspense gets her, the way she laughs quietly when it is funny and the way she stifles her sobs when it gets sad. The 2 hour is a little too short for him.

Haneul steals a peek occasionally but her sunbae is so engrossed in the film that he has no idea his mouth is hanging open again.

They leave after the credits and Dongwoo stretches his lazy bones. “Ah, the movie was great!”

“It feels like an Avengers movie instead.” Haneul comments.

“But whose side are you on?” Woohyun asks.

“I like Scarlet Witch and Cap’s leadership.”

Woohyun chuckles. “Because of how Cap takes care of the new Avenger?”

Haneul smiles because Woohyun is so damn right and she finds that amazing.

“Hmm,” Woohyun continues. “If you’d known, I think you’d be Team Ironman.”

“Know what?”

“Tony’s struggles and his distress calls for help.” Woohyun shrugs.

Haneul places her hands on her hips. “You’re watching this a second time aren’t you, Nam Wooyhun.”

Woohyun laughs as he is busted. “But the second time is for …”

“Observation.” Haneul finishes his sentence. “And if I didn’t know, I’d think you’re really rich and really bored.”

Dongwoo cracks his knuckles because maybe this couple isn’t exactly hard to match. Who cares about Team Ironman or Team Cap? Dongwoo is definitely Team Sky Tree (but he is secretly rooting for Ironman because Black Panther).