Chapter 1

100% Real

Hyungwon makes it home after another long day at the restaurant. He fumbles in his aprons pocket for the key to his apartment door. Eventually he feels the little happy marshmallow tied around the loophole and pulls out the key. He inserts it into the lock. A faint click strikes his eardrums before he turns the knob with his right hand. He gives the marshmallow a faint smile before placing the key over the miniature red chair hanging on his foyer wall and sits the marshmallow atop it all.

He takes his dirty Converse off in his small foyer. As he steps from the foyer into the larger, albeit still relatively small, living room/dining room junction, his eyes give the kitchen a once over. He draws his lips in a straight line as he sees how many dishes and trash bags have merged in the kitchen. He grabs a bottle of air freshner by the living room stand and spritzs a bit in the kitchens direction.

Tired of doing dishes, Hyungwon thinks as he pictures those funny American commercials that have the same voice.

Hyungwon laughs as he takes his stained apron off and throws it into the hamper. He stretches before flipping his phone on to check for any missed calls or messages. Of course, there are none. There never are.

He sits down in front of his worn-down computer. It takes a moment to boot up, but he is without complaint. After a few seconds, the computer beeps before the background picture and icons materialize on the large, dusty screen. Hyungwon absentmindedly trails a finger across the slightly dirty screen; promising to clean it some other time. He looks over at his analog clock and sees it's late. He decides to check his emails for a bit before heading to bed.

He opens up his browser and types in the first part of his email providers site into the search bar. It is the first search result that pops up. Right before it are three ads that his eyes quickly skim over. He is just about to click the website link to his email address when his eyes latch onto the word "Pet" of the middle ad. Intrigued, he reads the entirety of the ad.

 

Wowowow Love 
"Want a hassle-free love? Order your own free pet today and be amazed at what a few simple clicks of your mouse can achieve."

 

Hyungwon bites his bottom lip. Free he can afford, but having a pet around doesn't equal free. His eyes waver on the link for a few more seconds before he tentatively clicks on it with the mouse. Oh, look. I accidentally clicked on the link, he mentally confides.

The site takes less than but a few seconds to load. Once it does, an introduction page bobs slightly up and down on the screen. It features tiny white wings on the top corners.
Hyungwon takes note of the simplistic style of the site. There is no contact us webpage link or even an about us. There is no copyright information at the bottom of the screen. It is literally just a block of this deep violet placed in the middle of a grey background. Hyungwon stands up and peers down at the screen from above. He peers from the sides and even tries to twist his neck to see it from below-up but nothing. Nothing different. Nothing new. What am I even looking for? Some kind of scheme to make me a local supertown hero? Hyungwon scoffs at his own thoughts.

Eyebrows furrowed, he plops himself back down in the cushioned chair. He decides to humor the site creators and continue on with their ploy for whatever this is.

 

Introduction
Welcome!
"Humans are a fickle thing. They never see eye to eye. They're constantly ruining their land. They do things for their own self-interest.

Knowing this, finding true love between each other has become an increasingly difficult thing. Have YOU ever felt like love has not reached your doorstep because there is no one who fits your ideal mold? Well, look no further!, because today you can find your true love with a series of questions designed to fit you.

Your own pet needs an owner. Let us help you."

 

At the bottom of the floating introduction page is a black arrow that holds the word "Next" in white, capitalized letters. A soft white glow emanates from the arrow.

So maybe this is just another one of those silly dating sites. What a strange taste in attracting customers, though. Or maybe it's one of those strange sites.

Hyungwon shakes his head, his countenance in a continuous state of confusion. He sweeps his eyes over the strange screen once more, drinking up everything as best he can before clicking the "Next" button. He winces as the browser abruptly deletes the screen from before and prepares to load whatever it is comes after clicking the button.

As he waits for the site to load, his mind begins to wander. Wait, now that I think about it, that white glow wasn't there before. I'm sure of it... but than again I might not have really been paying attention to it.

Hyungwon is completely lost in trying to recollect his memories from the previous moments that he doesn't realize the screen has loaded. Just like before there is a grey background and a deep violet square centered in the middle. Although, now the violet square appears smaller as it acts like more of a border to a white square that fits snugly inside it. The top reads "Question 1" in a really simple font and below it, in bold, lies the question "Tall or short?" Like any other questionnaire, there's a bubble next to each choice. Hyungwon clicks Tall.

The webpage changes all by itself and loads the next question. It has the same format as the previous question. This question reads "Muscular or scrawny?".
Bewildered at the simplicity of these questions, he begins to rethink his original thoughts about this being for a dating site.

Smiling he decides on the new idea that this is all just a really huge scam to attract customers for something really weird. A website made by a troll. But trolled from what? Ah, I really should stop overthinking things. 

He goes through the entirety of the questionnaire; selecting the choices he likes best. He clicks 69 for the fun of things under the question "69 or Effeminate?" The webpage changes as normal but instead of displaying the next question, the screen has changed to feature the picture of a handsome, young man. To the top of the picture, the words Enjoy appear in big, black letters. Hyungwon stares at the screen, amazed by the beauty of this person. Is he photoshopped? He has to be. Like one of those people who have features combined from a lot of different people.

He feels his heart beating faster the longer he stares. It doesn't help that the picture features the man shirtless from his clavicle, up. Suddenly, the screen flicks off and the silent hum of the computer dies down.

"The words just changed up top!" he yells, his voice shooting into the waning light.
Hyungwon rapidly stands, slamming his hands down on the wooden surface. He takes no time in jamming a finger on the screens power button. 

The screen lights up with its traditional bright, white glow. Hyungwon winces as his eyes connect with the brightness of the screen. He stares back at the screen in awe. The ad that he had clicked on is now gone. He takes the mouse in his hand and scrolls to the bottom to make sure the ad was not moved to the bottom. No luck. He types in what he remembers of the ad's search result, but no search results are auto-generated from Google's database. Hyungwon throws his head back, staring up at the clean white ceiling of his apartment room.

He was sure the words said You're Welcome. But how could he say so, when he didn't have proof. It could have just been his thinking that made him see those words flash before his eyes.

"They didn't ask for any personal information. Which is good."

As he stares, he slouches far enough into the chair so that his neck is pressed uncomfortably on the chairs backrest cushion. "It's just really weird."

After a few minutes of the pain in his neck, he sits back up and pushes the chair away from the desk. He looks down at the floor. His mind is still abuzz with the handsome young man's face. He squeezes his eyes shut and pinches the ends of his eyes with his index and forefinger. He stands and his backbones crack. Wincing at the sound of his bones, he carries himself to the bathroom where he brushes his teeth and washes his face before making his way to his small bedroom. He changes out of his workers clothes and pushes the few stuffed animals loitering his bed to the side. He picks one out from the pile and together with his nightly companion, slides into bed.

"What a silly thing to make. It didn't do much. It left me..." Hyungwon's voice trails off as he remembers the picture of the handsome man yet again. He had never seen someone as alluring as him; Hyungwon's eyes had been glued to the screen; analyzing everything that the picture had presented. The man was inhumanely gorgeous. Someone like him would never present himself before someone so plain like me. Not that he minded, but the thought of having that eye candy around everyday made him feel something else inside.

Hyungwon snuggles up to his stuffed baby penguin; pressing his chin into the warmth of its cozy head. He lets out a large breath through his nose as sleep finally pours over his tired body.