Chapter 6

The Dark of a Light

23rd May 1783

Case Study: Antichrist
Species: Cambion - offspring of demon and human
Subject: Jeon Jungkook

Possible sighting today. We tracked him down after noticing strange events - the crows, the bees, the plants. In the middle of all the chaos was this child. He told us he was named Jeon Jungkook. He told us he was a Cambion. Eunhyuk thought it was a legend. Training says otherwise. But even I cannot be sure whether the boy was telling us the truth. Jungkook disappeared at the end of the day, before we could ask him anything else.

If the antichrist is loose, then all hell will break free. We must keep him safe. We must find him. He shall be on our side.

Signed,
Choi Siwon, Incheon Division.

 


 

Bam Bam bolted upright, waking his friends. After reading the archives of all the Hunters before him, he managed to only find three entries on the Cambion. All the same: this thing appeared and told them what it was, only to be gone within 24 hours. He had been searching the books for days. But this was the first mention of a name. Bless you, Choi Siwon! I could kiss you! Bam Bam excitedly passed around the diary entry. Nayeon was the first to respond.

"Bam Bam, this is amazing! You found this without coffee?" She asked, bewildered at the boy's work ethic.

Bam Bam grinned at her. "I'm amazing, aren't I, noona? Now, I think I'll take a little nap." He cleared his portion of the desk and lay his head down. Within a few seconds, he was snoring softly.

Junho furrowed his brows. He looked at the younger hunters around him, and shared a look with Gikwang. The two shook their head. Yes, this was an amazing discovery on Bam Bam's part, but it didn't give them much of an answer in how to find the damn thing. Knowing the name of the creature was one thing, but surely there were more people with the same name? Junior himself had shared a name with that record producer. Who's to say that there wasn't another Jeon Jungkook loose out there in the world? And how they were going to find it was beyond them. Junho allowed Bam Bam to rest, who knows if he'd even slept during the search. He looked at Gikwang, sending a silent message, and stood to leave. The warmth at his back told him that Gikwang had followed.

They reached the library next door to the reading room. Junho checked to make sure Nayeon, Jackson or Krystal hadn't followed, and turned to his friend. Gikwang looked horribly tired with his dark circles and red eyes. His posture was slumped, unusual for him. Junho wasn't sure is he looked the same way. 

"This isn't helping us at all, hyung. We've been with Bammy for days, and this is all the leads we have to the thing?" Gikwang was frustrated. He had slept with his head on the desk, without a blanket, and hadn't showered since he started helping. His neck had a kink, and his back hurt. The sleep he managed to get was invaded by memories of battles. He always woke up at least half an hour later, crankier than ever. Gikwang wasn't sure if his sleep was disturbed by the change in scenary; the boys' HQ's walls had seen the boys wary too often, who knows if it just absorbed it and made others feel miserable. Maybe he'd been involved with witches for too long that he was making these delusional assumptions. As if walls could have emotional auras.

Junho sighed. He'd been doing that a lot lately. "I don't know. I don't know what to do. I've never faced such things. These boys have seen more evil than we ever have. Does Kai have anything?" 

"I haven't been able to reach him."

"Is he searching for God too?"

"The last time I talked to Baekhyun, he mentioned that, yeah."

The two hunters groaned. No one knows exactly when angels of Seoul and Suncheon became such good friends. Sure, the two were brothers and they wanted to look for their father, but to leave these hunters to fend for themselves in the middle of the worst storm yet? What kind of angels are these?

"Mark is back, I heard. Helping Jinyoung."

Junho nodded. He saw the pair before they went to search for the Nephilim that morning. This was the first he saw Mark since he went on his personal quest, but it didn't surprise him that he was helping Jinyoung. Junho always suspected something between the two. Maybe now he'd finally get his answer, if they were just great partners to hunt or partners in general. He smirked, but stopped when he saw Gikwang looking at him funny.

"Back to work. We found the name. Now we find the holder."

"Any idea how to do that? There's nothing on what this boy looks like."

Junho smiled a small, sad smile. "Sometimes I wish I was a hunter during the time. Nevertheless, we have better ways on finding these guys, rather than tracking."

"And what's that?"

"Social media. We're gonna FaceBook or Instagram this ."

 


 

As Mark and Jinyoung walked across the green grass, they made small talk between themselves. They hadn't seen each other in a while, it had been months. They'd miss each other, their best friend.

"So how has travelling with Kai been?" Jinyoung asked. He'd met Kai once, and took a disliking toward him immediately. He wasn't sure why, it just happened.

It took a while for Mark to answer. "So far, we've found nothing. We decided to take a break this week. Just in time to help you boys," he smirked, bumping Jinyoung's shoulder with his own. "How has it been for you to work with a witch? I know how hard it is for you."

Now it was Jinyoung's turn to make Mark wait for an answer. True, he had a bad history with witches. He didn't like thinking about it, and the only few people who knew about it was JB and Mark. Those were the only times he could speak about it. Those were the only times he let himself be weak, he let himself break down and show just how badly and deeply hunting had scarred him. 

"I'm doing it for the greater good. It'll be worth it. I'm not gonna see her after this anyways."

"Are you going to kill her?"

"No! No. She's helping us, it's only fair we let her live."

They stopped speaking when they saw the waitress from the cafe staring at them at the bench. Jinyoung couldn't see what Mark saw, her faint glow and grey light in her eyes, the mark of the Nephilim. What Jinyoung could see was Mark's discomfort, and his anger coming back again. He put his hand around Mark's arm, and felt him release some tension. Together they approached the girl. She stood up when they drew closer to her. Jinyoung saw how beautiful she was, and had no clue how Mark could identify her as a Nephilim. The waitress held her head high, unafraid of Mark.

"So you know what I am, huh?"

Mark blinked at her, trying to control his anger. The girl smirked at him, and held her arms out. 

"If you're going to kill me, you might as well. I know that I'm an abomination. I know that you're gonna want to lock me up with that thing again. But if you had any morals, just know that sending me back is worse than killing me. Stab me with that angel blade you have stashed up that sleeved and get it over with. You'd be doing me a favour." The girl's voice shook slightly, recalling the painful years of being the lock that held Herodias.

A blade slipped from Mark's coat. A polished silver blade, shiny and smudgeless. It was beautiful, one of the most beautiful blade Jinyoung had ever rest his eyes on. But he knew the blade, he knew that they were capable of slaughtering angels. He knew because he had done so. It was a weapon worthy of an angel, and was the most beautiful weapon, the most beautiful device to cause harm. But he had a mission. He wasn't going to let the world down again. He grabbed Mark's hand with his own.

"You know that he is an angel?"

The waitress snorted. "Of course. I see his halo. I know you're a hunter. Look, if you guys are gonna kill me, do it now. I don't want to go back to that emptiness, with only the screams for company."

Jinyoung shook his head, and cautiously removed his hand from Mark's. He raised them in surrender, and quickly stood between the angel and a half. Mark wouldn't harm Jinyoung. 

"We're not here to kill you. We're here to get your help."

The girl blinked. "What?"

The hunter breathed deeply. "My name is Park Jinyoung. This is Mark, my friend. Yes, he is an angel, and I'm a hunter. But you're not our target. We just need your help."

The waitress shook her head. She looked trapped. 

Jinyoung pressed on. "I heard your manager call you SinB. Is that correct?"

She nodded.

"We're not going to kill you. Or lock you back up. We just need you to help us. You have power no one can replicate. And we need your experience, your power to find a way to lock up Herodias." His mouth felt heavy with the lie he told her. Of all the billioins he had told people, he was sure this was the worst one. He promised not to kill her, not to throw her back in that prison. It would be easier to kill her.

Her eyes shifted to Mark.

"Please. Please help us. We have no other way. This is the first time we've ever actually come close to an answer."

She looked to Jinyoung.

"Please."

After what seemed like forever, the waitress nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, of course I'll help. No one wants to see that locked up more than I do. What did you have in mind?"

Jinyoung smiled, and he felt his shoulders drop. Finally, he had done something right. Well, as right as the task could've been done. "Just follow us back to HQ. There's a girl there, who will tell you everything."

The girl nodded, and smiled weakly at the hunter. She looked uneasy. Jinyoung guessed it was Mark. 

"Don't worry about him. Once you warm up to him, he's really a nice person. But for the time being, Mark--"

Mark nodded, and in a split second, he was gone, leaving behind faint wind and the sound of wings. Jinyoung smiled. He loved that Mark always knew.

"Okay. Well then, let's go. When do you finish?"

"Well, if I'm gonna help hunters, I might as well just get fired. And if I leave today, he's not gonna mind. Your angel can be intimidating."

Jinyoung smiled his thanks.

"I'm Hwang Eunbi, by the way. But SinB is just my nickname. Feel free to call me the latter." SinB smiled, and walked past Jinyoung. "Lead the way?"

Jinyoung smiled at her, and walked toward HQ, SinB following. They felt the beginnings of a friendship.

 



 

I think I should just say it now, I may or may not have some romance between Junior and Mark. It's still under development. But Jesus, do I love MarkJin^^

Also, is smudgeless a word?

Thank you for reading!! ^^