Saltwater room

String Bound Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So tell me darling do you wish we’d fall in love?

All the time. All the time.


Jessica is sick.

She doesn’t blame it on the cafeteria food, which looks greasy and unhealthy, that she eats everyday.

She doesn’t blame it on the schoolwork that eats up all her sleep and free time, either.

She blames it on her roommate, who she thinks (in her saner state) hasn’t done anything specifically wrong.

She blames it on Sooyoung’s lips- the way the corners turn up into a y smirk or a teasing grin makes Jessica stare for far too long.

She blames it on Sooyoung’s smile- the way her eyes form crescent moons and reveal her perfect white teeth makes Jessica smile too.

She blames it on Sooyoung’s cheekbones- the way they pop up whenever she smiles makes Jessica want to plant a kiss there (or even two).

She blames it on Sooyoung’s laugh- the singsong chuckle and the way the air sparkles when she opens has Jessica mesmerized.

She blames it on Sooyoung’s eyes- the spark in those brown irises whenever she says Jessica’s weirdness is ‘cute!’, ‘adorable!’, ‘irresistable!’ and Jessica would look away just to hide the pinkish tinge in her cheeks and the shy smile that’s creeping up her face.

She blames it on Sooyoung’s height- the way she always stands out in the crowd. But Jessica knows it’s not just the legs that make her so.

“It’s all your fault.” Jessica says to no one in particular. She skipped first class because she’s not feeling well.

Lie.

Actually, she was fairly well when she woke up and with the intention of going to class. Until she realized she was awoken by a soft murmur in her ears.

“Wake up.” She hears.

She almost, ALMOST, leans into the contact of lips on her ears when it dawned on her that the voice is really familiar.

She opened her eyes and blushed when she saw her roommate’s face was too close. Jessica isn’t fond of people invading her personal space but what the heck. It’s not everyday she gets to see the other’s face so close that she can see how the morning light caused her lashes to cast shadows on her clear skin. It was picture perfect and Jessica made sure to take a shot of it in her head.

“I made breakfast.” Just then was Jessica aware of the aroma of porridge in their room.

Jessica slipped under the covers just to save herself from embarrassment, she’s pretty sure her face is as red as a tomato now. “Then go eat.”

“I don’t want to eat alone.” Sooyoung whined. Under the covers, Jessica bit her lip to stop herself from squealing. “Jeshikaaa…” Sooyoung poked her back.

“Aish. So annoying.” Jessica sat up and glared at the other. By now, she was all composed. They’ve been rooming together for months. It was already mid-semester in their university. Surely, she had mastered this technique. “Fine.”

As they sat down to eat, Jessica noticed that Sooyoung is already ready to go. “What time did you wake up?” She asked.

“Around 6:00.”

It’s 15 minutes to 8. It just takes 45 minutes for Sooyoung to be ready. Did she really put so much effort in this? 

With that thought, Jessica smiled as she brought the noodles to .

“Why are you smiling?”

Jessica shook her head. “Nothing.”

Sooyoung raised a brow then chuckled. “weirdo.”

Both of them shared the task of washing the dishes. And instead of their work being done faster, it was the complete opposite. It started with playful splashes of water on each other’s faces and ended up in a water fight. So they found their selves clearing the floor off of the mess they made.

“Shucks. I’m going to be late! I still need to change shirts!” Sooyoung said as she glanced at the clock.

“go ahead. I got this.” Jessica took hold off the mop and continued their work.

Before she dashed off to the bathroom, Sooyoung grabbed her phone and new shirt.

Sooyoung has this habit of bringing her phone with her to the bathroom. Jessica doesn’t know why. She doesn’t even bother asking about it because there’s no reason to. It’s not really that unusual. She knows Sunny brings her DS with her to the bathroom, so it’s not a big deal.

As Jessica was washing her hands, Sooyoung appeared and wrapped her in a bear hug. Jessica forgets how to breathe then, as she focused on the arms around her waist and Sooyoung’s head on her shoulder. When she felt herself spinning, she wrapped her arms the taller’s neck just to keep herself from falling. And when they stopped, Jessica kept her hands on Sooyoung’s shoulders to keep herself from floating.

Sooyoung said something about having the best morning ever, a meet-up at the restaurant just outside the campus and dinner. Then she was gone, leaving our heroine dazed and confused.

“This is all you darn fault.” Jessica repeats as she recalls what happened that morning.

She touches her stomach as butterflies continue to fill it and make her nauseous.

Jessica doesn’t understand. She knows she’s not in love for she knows that she’s just attracted to Sooyoung’s features. For her, love has to be beyond physical attraction. It sounds stupid but she believes in it anyway.

--

Jessica didn’t want to stay in their dorm. The others have classes too so she contacted the person she knows is available.

They agreed to meet up at their usual café. Tiffany was already sitting comfortably in a corner when she got there.

“I need help.” Was the first thing Jessica said.

“With what?”

“It’s more of with who.”

“Ahhh..her.” Tiffany chuckled, very much amused.

“How did you know?”

“Seohyun.”

“really? That girl tells you everything.” Jessica crossed her arms over her chest, in her head she’s thinking of a hundred ways to reprimand the maknae.

“Yeah…” Tiffany looked at her friend through her bangs, she’s not sure if she needs to tell her or not. “Yuri knows about it too.”

Jessica flinched. If Tiffany heard about it, no doubt, Yuri did too. It’s not that she’s trying to keep it a secret from everyone. It’s just that it’s kind of complicated because almost all the people they know suspect Yuri and her to have something. It was not a secret to everyone that they shared a bond that’s beyond the simple friendship. So she doesn’t know how to tell them that she’s been having this crush on her roommate. She already saw someone tag her as a flirt and a two-timer on some social network and it bothered her a bit because a lot of people agreed with her.

What would Yuri’s reaction be? To Jessica, being committed to Yuri was never an option. She feels that they shouldn’t. They don’t need to. But she values their friendship. Yuri’s the second most treasured friend she has next to Tiffany. Frankly, she can’t live without her.

“W-what did she say?” Even Jessica didn’t miss the way her voice sounded so scared…so vulnerable.

“Nothing. She just smiled and walked away.” Tiffany reached for my hand, a gesture she always does whenever she wants me to listen to her. “Talk to her. And don’t think about a text message or an e-mail. You need to talk to her in person.”

Jessica doesn’t like confrontations. She avoided them as much as possible but for the sake of their friendship, she’ll do it without any second thoughts. So she nodded, making a silent promise to her bestfriend.

Tiffany smiled back as she leaned on her chair. “Now tell me about her. What happened?”

Jessica buried her face in her hands looking so pathetic. “I think I’m sick. I’m sick of her and everything she is.”
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter