-: III :-

Memories of a Distant World

-: III :-

 

He had been toiling in the garden all afternoon – and now it was late evening – when he heard hurried footsteps from inside the house coming closer, and sure enough, she appeared a second later, sliding open the door, her face flushed with excitement and her arms cradling a small bag.

“What is it? The glow on your face tells me you bring some good news,” He straightened up, setting his tools aside as she clambered down the steps, half tripping on her own clothes. “Careful.” He laughed.

“Senior Lady Ryeong gave me this,” She gasped as she knelt down beside him, quite unaware that her clothes would be soiled by the moist mud. Still quite breathless from her excitement, she gingerly opened her folded arms to reveal a bag. It was a small cherry tree sapling.

“Where did you get this? It’s tender.” He inquires as he takes it out and gently places it on the soil.

“She said she wasn’t able to sell it. Nobody would take it because of this,” She lifted a particular leaf and pointed at the gaping hole in the middle of it. “They think it is diseased. But she says otherwise and just gave it to me.” She smiled brightly at him. “Oh! But she says it will bloom well, it is a good variety.”

“That’s good,” He chuckled, un-wrapping the paper around the sapling. “Shall we plant it here, by the stream? It will get enough water and grow well.”

“Yes!” She agreed and watched as he dug a small pit and placed the sapling inside before covering and patting fresh, tilled soil around it. The evening was slightly humid, but the cool breeze compensated, signifying a potent change in weather. Clouds loomed over the mountains far away, bringing with it the promise of rain.

“I’m sorry,” He spoke up, after sprinkling a pot of water around it. “About what I said a few days ago.”

“Dear, you need not apologize.” She reassured him with a shake of her head.

“I will feel uneasy if I don’t,” He looked at her and smiled faintly. “I got angry because you stay up unnecessarily late watching the sky and offering your prayers to the Moon because I didn’t understand. But after you said you were merely paying your respects for what you’ve been given… I understand that it is also the way I feel about gardening and these plants.” He gestured all around him, at all the small seeds he had sown earlier during the day. She smiled softly as she took his hand into her lap.

“Whether it’s the sky or the earth, it’s important to treasure them and protect them.”

“Well said.” She whispers softly.

They sat there, engulfed in comfortable silence as the sky turned darker and darker with heavy rain clouds fast approaching. There was a lot that wasn’t said in words, but understood between both.

“Let’s hope it will grow into a strong and beautiful tree that will bring happiness to all that it shelters.” She said, her gaze on the small cherry tree sapling, swaying gently in the breeze. He nodded, beside her.

“Just like them.” Their eyes flitted over to the small bamboo cradle in the room inside the house from which soft noises came.


 

 

Aya stared off into space as she bit on the straw in her lemonade. Her chin propped on her hand, her eyes gazing off to the side at the flower gardens in the campus – she had completely tuned out of the conversations her three friends were animatedly engaging in.

“…. Since that. Sleep well?”

“Aya.”

“Hmm?” She snapped out of her thoughts to find them staring at her. It was lunch break and they were in the school cafeteria – Jin, Mari and Han were wearing concerned looks on their faces. “Yeah, I’m okay. Why?” She slurped too much lemonade and the tangy, sour taste hit unpleasantly. Han patted her pack as she coughed.

“You’re a good liar but… not quite good enough,” Mari grinned slyly at her as she leaned forward. “You have dark circles under your eyes – you haven’t been sleeping well. What’s the matter?”

“Eh, I really didn’t think it was that noticeable.” Aya muttered and gave a start as Mari leaned forward to level her eyes with the formers. “What?”

“Boy troubles?” Her friend was grinning from ear to ear – her long brown locks carefully styled. Aya snorted, a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

“Oi quit it.” She dismissed the idea completely. “That’s not it. University just started a few days ago – I don’t think there’s been any time for that to happen,” Aya said, blinking away the ridiculous thought. “Yet.” She added.

“What’s that,” Mari sniffed, looking like she’d just been completely defeated. “Didn’t you just move here two months ago? I thought maybe you’d have a boyfriend back in your old town.”

“I don’t do long distance relationships,” Aya deadpanned, much to Mari’s annoyance and Jin and Han’s amusement. “Anyways, is love really that easy? Because-”

“Oi, you guys! Over here!” She was interrupted when Jin suddenly turned back in his seat and waved wildly at a bunch of boys, who caught his gaze and eagerly made their way over to them.

“These are my high school friends. We all ended up coming to the same place,” Jin explained with a grin as six boys, all around the same age pulled up chairs from other empty tables and sat down. “This is Jungkook, Jimin, Yoongi, Taehyung, Namjoon,” Each of the boys nodded and waved. “Aaaaand, this is Hoseok.” Jin patted the last one, sitting right across Aya. He had a slightly long face and friendly eyes.

“Nice to meet you all!” Jungkook chirped cheerfully, sitting on his chair the reverse way. “Jin told us about you all – he said he made three new friends!”

“We’ve been sorta busy the last few days. Taehyung and I joined the baseball team; we’ve had to practice quite a bit.” Yoongi, who was wearing a baseball jersey, explained. “Anyhow, call me Suga!”

“I joined the student council.” Jimin smiled. “And I’ve been asked to invite more people so if you want to join, tell me.”

“I write rap.” Namjoon bluntly stated.

“And I-” Hoseok started, but was promptly interrupted by Jin.

“Ohh Aya, he’s the one I told you about – he enrolled for the herbalism course!” Jin laughed, pointing at Hoseok before turning to him, who looked pleasantly perplexed. “I told you about her right? She didn’t know what herbalism was, so I used you as an example…”

Aya didn’t really catch anymore of what Jin was saying, or how Mari and Han were getting acquainted with the new members of the circle because had gone dry and her heart had initiated a furious rhythm of beat in her chest. Her eyes were extremely close to welling up again, but she quickly blinked it away.

The cause was that boy who was sitting right across from her, greeting and laughing with everyone. Jung Hoseok, was it?

For some reason that Aya couldn’t make sense of, she couldn’t tear her eyes off from Hoseok. And she just knew – that her breathless and teary spell on her first day must also have been due to Hoseok – he probably passed by her in her class at some point of time. Only, she didn’t know him yet.

Whatever the hell was this?

“Aya? Are you okay?” Han asked her, his light brown eyes focused on her. She managed a tight smile that she hoped would convince him and somehow, managed to go along with the chatter and nonsensical conversation for the next 30 minutes.
 



During the break after the next two classes, Aya was dragged unceremoniously into one of the empty physics laboratories by a very excited Mari and expressionless Han. The former had been waiting for Aya outside her chemistry class and with Han’s help, had tugged her away without any explanation.

“What, what?” Aya winced as Mari shoved her against the wall, her face dead serious.

“Not ‘what’! You’ve fallen for Hoseok!” Mari declared loudly even as Han sighed behind her and face-palmed.

“Wha-?”


“I told you Mari, you jump to conclusions,” Han pinched the bridge of his nose and much to Aya’s surprise, even looked slightly exasperated. It was strange since she understood him to be a rather quiet guy in the week they’d gotten to know each other. He was also observant and unusually sharp – it made Aya extremely wary of the way she acted, especially when he was around. She didn’t think anybody would believe her if she actually spoke about what was plaguing her every night.

“No, I’m absolutely right!” Mari looked triumphant – an expression that wasn’t entirely new on her since she looked triumphant about nearly everything under the sun. Mari was a cheerful, outgoing girl, different from Aya only the respect that her cheeriness just showed more openly and more often. Aya was more reserved than that – she could act carefree once she had established solid relationships but shy in front of people she didn’t yet know. Mari was different – she could instantly strike up friendships, even calling out to people she was complete strangers with.

“You’re not making sense. Why would you think that?” Aya asked, trying to ignore the slightly faster pace her heart was going at, at the mention of Hoseok’s name.

“Because! You were completely staring at him all through lunch break!” Now Mari couldn’t stop grinning excitedly. “You’re in love!”

Han sighed tiredly from behind Mari, his arms folded, his light blonde hair falling over his brown eyes – a hint of a frown on his face. “She was just spacing out. I don’t think she’s the type to fall in love like that.”

Aya couldn’t tell if Han was defending her or really, genuinely in disbelief of Mari’s claims. She wasn’t sure herself – why did she stare at Hoseok like that? She could feel the drops of sweat roll down her spine, her hands were restless in her lap, her heart had been hammering in her chest and if she didn’t know better, she was sure it would’ve just jumped out and run across the room. She shook her head – she would go home and analyze it properly.

“Well, whatever.” Mari huffed, looking miffed. “You don’t have to admit it yet, but you’re blushing.” Aya’s hands flew up to her own face in shock. “And I know love when I see it.” She marched out of the room but not before loudly calling “Its love at first sight!” and Aya slumped into the wall. Han still stayed back, his arms folded and his scrutinizing gaze on the girl in front of him.

“You know,” He spoke quietly and Aya looked up at him. “I know we’ve just been friends for a short while now but…” He trailed of, his hands shoving themselves into the pockets of his slim fitting black pants. “I can tell when someone is troubled. It might be something really personal and… you might not want to talk about it to friends you just made. But if you do, you can talk to me. I can listen well. Even if it’s the dead of night and you want to talk, don’t hesitate to call me. Okay?”

His gaze was too intense for Aya to bear and so she had to look away briefly. Han was dependable, even if he didn’t say much. That much she knew.

“Okay.”

Love at first sight huh…


 



“Mom, is it possible to fall in love at first sight?” The question took her mother and father completely by surprise as they both stared at her, when Aya returned that evening.

“Why?”

“Just asking.”

“Well, I don’t see why not.” Her mother replied as she poured Aya a cup of tea in the balcony.

“Doesn’t it seem illogical though? Falling in love with someone the second you meet them, that is?” Aya questioned, expertly avoiding her father’s gawking stare.

“A-Aya, have you-”

“Not really,” Her mother chuckled, looking up from her brewing tea. “Love doesn’t always take set paths. It’s a complicated thing. In the end you probably won’t get to choose who you fall in love with and how it happens.” She looked off to the side, the evening sunlight making her look 10 years younger.

“Aya, did you-”

“And sometimes,” She continued. “Since love is so complicated and diverse, it might take you months, years to realize you love someone. Or it can happen in a split second.” She smiled at her daughter in front of her. “It’s unpredictable Aya. You don’t know in what form it’s going to hit you. And it’s different for every person.”

“Aya, wait-”

“Alright. I’m heading upstairs. I need to think.” Aya muttered, walking into the house.

Her father shot his wife a perplexed look to which she merely shrugged.




It was late night and Aya was determined not to sleep. Instead, she had opened in front of her, a notepad, bought with the intention to write down all the vivid dreams she had been having. She folded her arms thoughtfully and chewed on her lip as the moonlight illuminated her and her stationery through the skylight.

She had racked her brain and decided that the dreams she had been having were not just dreams. They were too vivid and too detailed to be mere dreams. They were dreams about people she had never met, people who had lived centuries ago in the Joseon era, about conversations she couldn’t fully understand. But she had an idea about what they were.

No doubt, they were Kim Se Ryung’s memories.

She had been looking into snippets of Kim Se Ryung’s life with her husband, their conversations and the house they lived in. That was this very house she was sitting in, this very moment. While neither Kim Se Ryung’s or her husband’s faces were too clear, the surroundings she saw them in were sharp – too sharp, almost – and when she woke up she was always breathless; as though she had just personally experienced them in flesh and blood herself. She didn’t understand it. The memories were piecemeal and fragmented and that was where the notepad came into play – she would write them down and put them in order.  She also didn’t understand the fragrant smell that she kept noticing, both right after her dreams and sometimes unexpectedly during classes.

The smell, the waves of nostalgia, the sudden pooling of tears in her eyes and the throbbing of her heart didn’t make sense.

Neither did her sudden spell of love with Hoseok, if it was love. But Aya was skeptical. She was a person who would think long and hard about something like love – was it normal to fall in love with a boy who she just met? Was love accompanied with the symptoms she exhibited today in front of him?

“Your heart might skip a beat and your throat might run dry, but I don’t think you’re supposed to cry.” She mused. No. This was not love. This was something else and sitting under the dim moonlight, she couldn’t, for the life of her, figure out what.




 


A/N: Yeah, I know I said I'd stick to around... 1200 words per but guess what. The previous chapter was 1900 words and this one... 2600 words. So much for setting limits. -_-
This chapter was somehow much easier to write - when you compare it to yesterday where I spent two hours on just one paragraph alone  *sighs*
I suppose I haven't written in too long and... well, when you get into things again, they get easier I guess.
Anyways, there's a lot of stuff I wanna say but I'll put them all into one final A/N after I finish the story ^^
ALSO! I edited parts of the previous chapter - especially the paragraphs relating to Aya's first day at university so... you might want to read it again :O~ It felt too bland and lacked depth, I thought, so I added a few more lines :P