love that lingers

you're my star

I was eight years old when this particular boy got admitted into the same orphanage as mine.

The only thing I know is that his name is Kim Ryeowook and he’s three years younger than me. I didn’t have a chance to talk to him yet.. I was shy to greet him first, and he’s being a ball of sunshine always got himself surrounded by the kids which make it harder for me to befriend him.

But on one fine summer day, he approached me and shoved a can of chocolate milk in front of my face.

 

“Annyeong Hyung! Can you please open this drink for me?” that small boy asked whilst tilted his head cutely. I nodded and took the can from his hand. He smiled at me and I smiled back at him.

Seriously, at that young age, even a fallen leaf can made us laugh.

 

“But if I can open this, you must share it with me, okay??” I made a sudden deal.

He pouted and seemed to ponder the idea of sharing his drink with me for awhile, but nonetheless nodded at the end.

Satisfied with his answer, I opened the canned chocolate drink with a little bit difficulty and then handed it back to its owner.

He take a sip and gave it to me as what we’ve promised. I gulped down the milk a few times and then gave it back to him whilst my ‘thanks’ got muffled up as I wiped my mouth with the end of my sleeves.

Ryeowook looked at me straight in the eyes and then looked back at the can in his hand, he did that back and forth a few times before his eyes got teary and a sob escaped his plump lips.

Big fat tears started to rolled down his puffed up cheeks.

“uwuuhhh~ hyung cheat, you drink m-more than half of it.” He hiccupped.

 

I was stupefied to say the least. That’s the usual amount of how much I consumed every time I drink. It’s not like I’m doing it on purpose.

What should I do now? What should I say?

 

“I’m s-sorry, I didn’t do that intentionally. Please don’t cry.” I begged.

Instead of getting better, his lips quivered more and his flushed cheeks got even red than before.

“Okay! Okay! Pinch me, hit me, j-just.. just do something if that’ll make you feel better.” I said out of a sheer panic.

Of course that also didn’t work out. He wailed more over his chocolate milk, attracting attention of every kids that were nearby us.

 

“What’s wrong Wookie? Did something happen?” an older boy asked out of concern.

“I have just a little bit of this, but he almost finished it all.” Ryeowook sobs whilst showing the half-emptied canned drink as a proof.

“You both are sharing a same drink?! That’s mean you two just have indirectly kissed each other!” a girl squealed.

 

T-that’s nonsense... He barely had a sip.

It shouldn’t have even been deserved to be considered as a kiss. Even though I’ve never had a kiss before in my life, I know that it’s not this way how—

All my incoherent thought went down the drain when someone smack their lips hard on mine. I looked up shocked to see that someone is Ryeowook. I touched my lips whilst my eyes almost bouncing out of the socket as I looked disbelieving at the small boy.

 

“What?! I’m just taking back my first kiss that you stole. Now we’re even.” He huffed out on me and stomped away to the small playground at the front yard.

The kids and I was dumbfounded. We looked at Ryeowook who playing happily in the sand box with other children as if nothing had happen beforehand.

 

Oh, my god.. this silly boy.

He doesn’t realized what he just did isn’t he?

Who stole who’s?

.

.

.

 

 

I abruptly wake up from my sleep. A small smile creep up on my face upon remembering what I’ve dreamed.

I look at the time in my cell phone, 10:30pm.. it’s still early.

Deciding to take a short walk outside, I wear my winter coat and wrapped an ivory coloured scarf around my neck and then head to the neighbourhood park.

Not long after I reached the park, I found a bench and take a sit on it.

 

I leaned my back and looked at the sky. A puff of mist forming out from my mouth as I sighed.

“How are you doing up there, my star?..

Nothing much happen to me though, every time I closed my eyes I would dream of you. Tonight isn’t any different.” I laughed half-heartedly.

 

“But this time I dreamed of the past, the first time we met…

If you were here with me, I bet that you must be blushing hard when I told you about that time. You’re just so innocent that you didn’t realize you are the one who stole my first kiss...” I smiled softly as if Ryeowook is there listening to me.

Lucky there’s no one out passing the park at this hour, or else they would say that I’m crazy or a drunkard. Who wouldn’t when I’m talking to the air with a lovestruck-like smile on my face.

 

I sighed once again and closed my eyes.

“You must be feeling sad seeing me always wake up with tears. That’s why you send me this memories, aren’t you? So that I would smile again…

 

As if representing Ryeowook admitting to my question, the first snow for this year starts to beautifully falling down. The cold breeze passing by me felt just like his hand my cheek lovely.

I can’t help but let a tears escaped.

Oh god… how I miss him..

 

I hid my face in my palms and cried for the umpteenth time.

“I’m sorry…

I just can’t keep that promise, my love.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

Special chapter,

nothing much to say… just appreciate the precious one before they’ll be taken away by your side forever.