Chapter 3

This Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Solar had never tried to drive this fast before. She passes by the streets as if in a race; the sceneries she used to enjoy on long travels all become a blur as her wheels zoom pass the concrete road. Her eyes are trained to follow the white lights from Moonbyul's black BMW, not knowing where they're really headed to.

“Don't you dare lose her, Kim Yongsun,” she reminded herself with a pounding heart. Not only she is nervous of losing sight of Moonbyul at that moment but she is also aware that she's already putting her life on the line – that just one wrong tilt of the steering wheel she'll be smashing against the other cars.

Finally when Yongsun and Moonbyul reach an isolated road, their driving calm down. Solar deeply breathes and uses this opportunity to look at the signs, to get an idea where Moonbyul is going.

Bucheon (10km)

She smiles, of course Byul will go home.

Solar doesn't even bother anymore to keep track of Moonbyul as she continues driving at ease, now that she knows where they are going.

 

 

Moonbyul pulls over in front of their house, completely aware of the white car that has been following her all the way from Seoul. She admits, it makes her feel a little giddy inside, but she also knows she shouldn't be enjoying this. She knows that everything will be easy for her if she won't see Solar anymore and just get rid of her trashy feelings for her.

Before going out of her car, Moonbyul cleared her mind. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Let's erase that a Kim Yongsun existed in your life, Byul. She looks at the rear view mirror and catches a sight of Solar waiting patiently in front of her car. She looks away immediately when their eyes meet, repeating what she said in her mind again. Ignore.

Moonbyul steps out of her car and as expected, Solar is quickly hot on her tail.

“Byul, can we please talk?” Solar tries to grab her arm but she's walking rather fast.

Moonbyul tries her hardest to ignore her, especially when Solar's tone becomes a little whiny. Moonbyul knows for herself that's one of her millions of weaknesses when it comes to Kim Yongsun.

“Byulyi- oh!”

In shock, Moonbyul abruptly turns around.

Solar is on the floor, blowing on her bleeding knee.

Moonbyul's hands balled to fists; her heart currently having a war with her brain. Of course, her heart is pushing her to go towards Solar but her brain wants her to ignore, just like what she established in her mind before going out of her car. But who is she kidding? This is Moonbyul we're talking about – the soft-hearted Moonbyul that will not hesitate to give her last piece of bread to someone in need. Our soft-hearted Byul, she tried to convince herself that that's her reason when she runs towards the girl on the floor.

“Are you alright?” She asks, her tone coming out so concerned that she wants to hit herself for it.

Solar looks up, her eyes sparkling under the moonlight, and once again, Moonbyul is bedazzled by the beauty that is Yongsun.

Solar's lips curve into a relieved smile. She still cares for me after all. She nods her head. “I'm fine, just a little scratch, really.” She tries to stand up to prove her point but the burning sensation on her knee, and also the minor sprain on her ankle cause her to sit down once again. Flushed, Solar awkwardly laughs. "I'm fine."

“Just a scratch,” Moonbyul scoffs as she gazes at Solar. “Why are you always so stupid?”

Solar's smile fades, scaring Moonbyul right away. “Hey, I didn't mean it that way. I mean you know, you're always so clumsy but not stupid – what I mean is – I mean - “

Without knowing, Solar starts laughing, even clapping her hands at the sight of Moonbyul's beet red face. “Aigoo, why is our greasy Moonstar so flustered right now?” she teases, suddenly forgetting that the two of them are supposed to be 'fighting'.

Moonbyul clears , back at it again with the 'ignore-Yongsun-at-all-costs' act. She crossed her arms. “I'm going in. It's just a scratch right? You can manage.” She tries to say coldly without stuttering. She succeeds partly, except her eyes can't even look at Solar's eyes directly.

“Are you really gonna leave me here?” Solar asks when Moonbyul starts retreating away.

Moonbyul on the other hand is also asking herself the same question. Until her feet just drag her to where Solar is. She crouches down in front of her, her back facing the girl. “Get on my back. Quickly before I change my mind,” her voice is stern.

Solar silently giggles, smiling victoriously as she reaches her arms towards Moonbyul's back. She wraps her arms around her shoulders and comfortably leans her head against Moonbyul's. She misses this, Solar thought as she let her senses indulge on Moonbyul's scent.

With her heart planning to break her sternum any time soon, Moonbyul lifts Solar and stands up. Naturally, Solar's legs circled around her waist, just like the old times. When Solar had a sprained ankle almost every time they're practising, Moonbyul used to carry her all the way from the company to their rooftop house.

“Byul-ah,” Solar starts talking as Moonbyul begins their way towards the front door of their house. Solar's warm breath tickling her neck. “I'm really sorry, Byul,” she whispers, her voice pouring out sincerity.

Moonbyul bites her lip, taking quicker and bigger strides. Again, her mind and her heart are on a battle. Her heart says that yes, Byul, forgive her. But her mind says otherwise. Among the chaos she only managed to say, “Please stop talking.”

Solar just nods but she hugs Moonbyul tighter.

 

 

Eventually after feeling like she has walked around the entire Seoul, Moonbyul reaches their doorstep. Time seems to slow down when your proximity with the person you love is almost non-existent. Her internal battle to not enojy the moment was a struggle.

“Have you got the key, Byul?” asked Solar as she realised they've been standing in front of the door for almost a minute already.

Moonbyul nods impulsively, pulling her scattered mind altogether. “It's in my front left pocket. C-Can you fish it out for me?”

Solar smiles. “Okay.” She reaches her left arm down and put her hand inside Moonbyul's pocket. She pulls out a set of keys and shows it to Moonbyul. “Which one?”

Moonbyul lifts Solar up again as she was slowly sliding down on her back. “That one with the pikachu sticker.”

“Such a kid,” Solar snorted.

“I heard that.”

Solar ignores her and slides the key in the keyhole. She unlocks the door and pushes it open. It is dimly lit inside; the only light on is the wall lamp. Moonbyul walks inside and quickly makes her way towards the couch. She carefully puts Solar down on the couch and stretches, feeling like her spinal cord will break any time soon.

“Am I that heavy?” Solar questioned as she watched Moonbyul.

Moonbyul just gave her a passing glance before she disappeared into the kitchen. Strangely, Solar feels like the both of them are just playing a game. Moonbyul trying to act cool and unaffacted, while Solar trying to release the old Moonbyul back, The Moonbyul before she hurt her. Only thing is, she doesn't know which one is winning.

Moonbyul comes back with the first aid kit in her hand. She crouches down next to Solar, about to treat the girl's wound when she suddenly stands up. “Ugh, why am I doing this? Do it yourself.” Irritably, she tosses the cotton wool softly at Solar and walks up towards her room.

Taken aback, Solar takes the cotton wool that Moonbyul chucked at her. Patience, Yongsun. She takes a deep breath before putting medicine on the cotton. She takes the cushion next to her and bites on it so she won't make a noise. Then she starts dabbing on her wound.

Upstairs, Moonbyul isn't really in her room. She's at the highest staircase, watching Solar guiltily as she tries to plant herself on where she is; because if she doesn't, she'll be already next to Solar, blowing on her knee for her.

 

 

After Solar feels like she can manage to walk again, she starts clearing up the cotton wools on the table. She takes them all in her one hand, the other hand carrying the fist aid kit as she limps her way towards the kitchen. She puts the kit inside the cupboard beneath the sink. Over their trainee days, Moonbyul's house had become a playground, or a hang out place for all of them. It's because Moonbyul's family don't mind their inhumane noises when they're all together, but mostly their fridge is always full. Everyone loves that, especially the maknaes.

Solar smiles at the memory. It's another reason why she almost wants to bang her head on the sink for being so stupid. Seriously, where did she find the guts to push Moonbyul away from them? Solar just sighed. She starts making her way upstairs, to Moonbyul's bed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter