Chapter 9

The Stranger

Umika POV

Since I have returned to ballet, nothing seems quite right. It is supposed to be, with my interest originally residing in the elegant art performance instead of the traditional art of self-defence. After a long hiatus, my body has forgotten to move delicately and it takes my mentor painstaking efforts to adjust me back. I hadn't been fair at all to the kind senior mentor whose delicate movements kept me impressed. I was constantly distracted, with my mind thinking of judo, or rather that one guy from judo.

"Ahhh" I fell onto the ground and my scream echoed across the empty studio. I sat on the ground and prayed it's not a sprained knee. It did hurt when I tried moving but it didnt seem like a sprain. I continued to sit down like a spoiled brat. I stared blankly at the empty studio and wondered if it's a place for me afterall. I thought I was dazing too much that I started having a mirage of a dancing ball. I The music surrounds the studio and one will wonder if the entire place has been enchanted. I looked around but at that same instance the lights dimmed, keeping me in a space of darkness due to my night blindness which takes a while for my eyes to adjust to limited light. I see a shadow by the switch and there the shadow came closer and closer. I got nervous, inching backwards until I reach a dead end. I was so afraid I couldn't even scream out loud. In fact, I opened my mouth but there was no sound.

The guy stretched out his hand which I could briefly see. As my eyes looked up to search for his face, I realised...

"Kento?"

I hear his chuckle, before he broke that nerve wrecking silence "it's supposed to be romantic... Not horrifying "

I shyly grabbed his hands. When I stood up, I felt the static pain run through my ankle. "ITAI!" I didn't exactly shouted out. It didn't want to startle him. 

"Step on my feet"

"Heh?!" I was the one startled by his comment. 

"Step on my feet" he repeated, and this time, I did as I was told. the next I know he has pulled me towards him, and his arms around my waist. He actually began to sway with the music, with me standing on his feet. I felt shy but gradually become immersed into the entire mood. My hands moved up from his arms and circled around his neck. I became so comfortable in his secured arms and the soothing tune of the hit TITANIC theme song 'My Heart Will Go On' that I eventually let my affections take over. My head laid on his tough shoulders and buried in his hair. I smell the peppermint scent of his hair that got me all calmed down from the recent stress. I even got so into the mood that I forgot about my nervousness from the intimacy. I could feel his heart's rhythmic patterns and on the contrary, mine seems so much more faster.

"Kento, why are you suddenly different?"

"Different in a good way, I hope..."

"It's good for me, but you don't need to force yourself be nice to me."

"Did I say I force myself?"

"But you already made it clear you don't like me... You are weird today..."

"I think I'm gonna continue being weird from now, Umika."

"Heh?" I raised my head from his shoulders then looked at him confused. He continued swaying me with the music and held me tighter.

"There's a lot of things i have been wrong about. I feel ashamed for being nasty to someone harmless. That day when we cornered him, I felt so bad about it. I did all of that for one girl and I thought about it over and over, it's not worth it. I think because of Mirai, I have lost myself. I think I want to see things more clearly again"

He looked at me with deep eyes. I don't know what is in his mind but I thought I saw tears. There was something I want to do and I told myself this is the chance - to care for the one I love. I held his face and kissed him. I didn't dare to look at his eyes, I focused solely at his lips. That feeling is so magical, leaving all fuzziness in my heart, and addictive. There is no way I am able to pull back, I was dangerously addicted. The kiss turned passionate and I didn't even notice we had moved so much from our original position to the wall, leaning against it and still smooching without interruption. For a first-timer, I thought I did better than I thought. Though I may have to admit, he is a pro at this. It's only when my phone rang that led us to pull back, reluctantly on my part. 

"Moshi moshi" I answered the call from Sora who sounded flustered and almost urgent.

"Umika, Mirai is in hospital!"

"HEH?!!"

"Mirai is in hospital?! What happened?!" I repeated it in shock, partly for Kento to be aware of the situation. He reacted the same as me, in shock, but nothing overly excessive.

"I don't know yet but I heard she bumped into a group of ruffians. Come quick~" 

We took down details from Sora and rushed down to the hospital. Sora said she's still with the doctor in the Accident & Emergency Ward. We both felt slightly relieved that Daiki is with her too, at least there's a family member there to keep her calm.

"She'll be alright. Don't worry," I said the comforting words to put him at ease, as our taxi took us to the hospital. She is still the girl in his heart, even though we spend that moment together. I can't be compared to Mirai.

When we reached the hospital, it was already very late at night, yet the emergency and accident department is still busy with patients and medical professionals buzzing in and out. 

"Umika, niichan!" Sora saw us first and dashed towards us. Her expression wasn't nervous and that gives us an indication Mirai's condition is okay now.

"How's Mirai?"

"She's warded. The doctor said the injury to her head was quite deep so they had to do many stitches. They wanted to keep her under observation and likely be discharged tomorrow."

"What exactly happened?" Kento gave a perplexed look and it is a reasonable question to ask.

"What I heard was some ruffians were attacking Mirai's friend so she tried protecting him. Instead she was hurt herself."

"Luckily her brother was there in time..." 

"Not really. Daiki said it was Ryosuke who saved the both of them."

"Ryosuke?!" We both said in unison. We didn't expect it at all, perhaps because he has completely ignored Mirai for the past days since he returned to school. Wherever Mirai is, he will turn another way, so to be at the same place as her is not virtually possible. I took a quick glance at Kento and expected to see some displeasure, but it was plain. There's nothing I deciphered from his expression. The three of us strolled to the ward, Daiki was seated outside. He seemed tired as he massaged his temples.

"Ah the three of you are here..."

That moment, I realised Sora hasnt actually interacted with Daiki the whole time when she was here. She has been acting strange and it reminds alittle of my own avoidance from Kento. Mirai did indirectly mentioned Sora's love interest towards Daiki, and I wondered if it's because things did not turn out the way it should. Like mine.

"Mirai is sleeping though. I can wake her up, hold on" Daiki motioned to the door. he wrenched open the door, revealing a small gap where we saw not only Mirai sound asleep on the bed with a bandage over her head, but also Ryosuke crouched into a ball on the sofa beside the bed, sound asleep. He seemed immensely exhausted, much more than Mirai. It feels like his presence was to watch over her. That feeling was strong.

"Ryosuke is hurt too, more widespread across his body but this silly boy insist to stay beside her," Daiki whispered to us.

"We should let them rest. We will visit her again tomorrow, Daiki" I suggested without consulting the rest, cause neither of them seemed like they were going to say anything.

"Sorry for making you guys come all the way here... Let me send you guys back." Daiki offered kindly even though he appeared just as tired.

"It's okay. You should rest too. It has been a hectic night for you." Kento exclaimed, 

"Thanks for the concern."We'll get going first" We bidded farewell then walked away. I was wondering why the journey out from the hospital was so quiet, even the footsteps can't really be heard. I turned around and noticed Sora missing, and just at about the same time, there was a message to Kento's phone.

He seemed as surprised as I was but once we read it, we kinda feel happy for her courage "niichan, I won't be going back with you tonight. I'll stay behind and see what I can help Daiki with"

That leaves me and Kento all alone again. We decided unanimously to take the public transport, and I never regretted the longer journey. At that point in time, the bus was empty, with only the 2 of us occupying the backseats. I opened the window to let the night breeze blow on the surface of my skin. The bus got onto a hump, and I jerked the most, almost bouncing off my seat and forward. Fortunately, Kento held onto my shoulders, bringing me close. It was too close cause when I turned to thank him, I realised his face was just right beside me. 

"Umika..."

"Heh?..." I was nervous, partly the proximity, partly what he's gonna say. Instead of waiting for my disappointment to come, I face head on with the disappointment. "I think Mirai will do fine. She's blessed with all the care she can get ne."

"So I don't think she needs my care."

"Huh?"

"Shall we start over?"

"Heh? I thought Mirai has forgiven us for the incident with Ryosuke already?"

"What are you talking about... It's you I'm talking about. I know the timing is alittle delayed, in fact, it's hard not to think I am using you as a back up because I can't get Mirai. But the truth is, I think I have overlooked you and take you for granted. Now that you have left judo club and rarely spend time with us now, I realised I do miss you a lot."

"It's probably just a matter of getting use to..."

"Just now, at the dance studio, I felt my heart beating the way I never felt with other girls."

He must be worn out so much so that he is spouting nonsense. I didn't dare believe in all my own luck. It's not possible. I told myself not to fall for my own infatuations. Yet his alluring glance is irresistible. He had to dig a whole for me to plummet right in. He came closer, and closer, and eventually, we are not two but one, once again. The second kiss is better than the first, like the world has stopped spinning. If it had been a dream, I wish I never wake up from it. His supple lips crashed into mine, and we became so immersed that nothing can pull us apart. I took his breathe away just like he took mine. We were skilled by now, synchronising our lips movement like a pair of inseparable doves. If it was moments of uncertainty in our first kiss, the second was definite. I was sure what I want, yes, I wanna fight for my own destiny like Mirai is towards Ryosuke! I grabbed his head and kissed so deeply I thought I was going to swallow him whole. It's the best thing that has happened in my life, to claim possession of Yamazaki Kento.

"Excuse me. Kiddos, it's the terminal. You guys can continue when you alight!"

Nothing can stop us except this breaking news. "Heh?!!" We both reacted in shock then embarrassment. I apologised first then went back into a lost. Kento grabbed my hand then dashed off the bus. We looked at each other for almost an entire second. We laughed, we broke out in laughter, for the stupidity we shared, for the love we enjoyed. It's the start of something new, something more magical. We smiled, and I knew he felt the same.

Thank you Kamisama.

***

Mirai POV

It was a throbbing pain in my head. It's not the effect of the nightmare that scare the living daylight out of me, from the repeated bashing that crippled my limbs to the gory blood spilling out of my mouth. There i was lying in a pool of my own essence. I awake in darkness, I can't see even my own fingers. I was afraid to move because I was scared my nightmare was not merely just a nightmare but reality that I am officially handicapped. I'm not willing to end my life at a young age. I'm not even close to a quarter of a century old. I felt the binds on my head almost immediately. I knew my head was injured, that explains my headache. Then i recalled the rod that crashed on my head just minutes before I collapsed. Memories start to return bit by bit, I remembered the weight on my back. My nightmare of plummeting rods were not actually my nightmare, it was his... 

"OH MY GOSH!" i sat up, hurting myself in such abrupt actions. I regretted cause the static pain almost made me lose my consciousness. But at least I know, my limbs are still around, I'm not handicapped. My fear for my own dissipated, but what about my fear for his safety. I looked around with cold sweat trickling down my forehead, soaked to the bandage. I was searching for signs that he is alive. My brother would know. I'm sure he would.

There is a figure lying on the sofa beside me, with knees tugged closely to his chest, like a little kid sleeping. His hair fell across his sunken face, but I can recognise him anywhere even in that darkness. I took my blanket then slowly climbed off the bed, and moved towards him. I laid the blanket over his frail body. Gently, i brushed his hair away, revealing his face beneath. He looked so peaceful in his sleep, so much more at ease than he is awake. All those inhibitions he had, seem to all be cast aside. Except the knotted brows that doesn't easily go away. I wish I could kiss his nightmares away. I traced those thick brows and saw it gradually unknotting. I felt glad at this simple happiness, even if it's just my illusion that i can give him a least bit happiness.

I sat on the ground and looked at him. He looks so exhausted that even with my actions, he didn't flinch at all. I was even afraid he isn't breathing. I chuckled to myself, both for my silly joke and for that moment I could just watch him breathe. He raised his chest as he inhaled, and down as he exhaled. Just watching him is therapeutic. I figure when a girl is deeply in love, anything her lover does, is blissful joy. 

I thought I am imagining someone touching the top of my head, softly brushing my hair. I jumped up, only realising then that I have fallen asleep with the sides of my mouth wet. 

"OH NO." Embarrassing! I quickly wiped it away with my hands as soon as I realised Ryosuke looking at me with unwavering glance. He smiled with those crimson lips. In the dark, I didn't notice, but now with the sunlight shinning onto our bare skins, I saw those bruises. Some were bumps with bluish-black clots, some were reddened scars like dried blood lining on wounds. I gasped.

"Does it hurt?!" I traced those wounds with my fingers gently. 

"Ouch!" He yelled then crouched in agony.

"Oh no... Sorry sorry, I'll get the doctor" I rushed off, but realised I couldn't even move a step away from him. He has held onto my hand firmly, with his head buried down. He was throbbing but I couldn't see his face hidden. It didn't take me long until I noticed he was laughing. I was lost beyond speech.

"I'm just joking. I'm not as hurt as you are."

"But those rods were hitting on you."

"Oh, so you do remember... I thought you had an amnesia or something."

"Why do you say that? I do remember everything" i proudly announced, only to regret it almost immediately.

"So, up till what point do you remember?" He asked with a smirk on his face. I began recalling deeply, and I was initially almost certain that I only uttered those 3 words in my mind. 

"Oh no~" I gasped when I realised I probably unknowingly, at the brink of my consciousness, uttered those 3 words. 

"Ah hah. So you remember... Now I know why you persistently wanted to befriend me... It wasn't innocent at all."

"It was..."

"Was... Hmmm, so from when did you start liking me?"

I blushed by his direct questioning which shows no mercy. I was trapped with my wrists caught under his. If that counts as holding hands, I guess we held the longest at this moment, except there was no romantic feelings involved, only shy and intimidating emotions. 

"I don't know... Maybe from the first time we met in the bus?" I was embarrassed even by my answer which was so seriously thought out but sounds almost ridiculous when I say it. Love at first sight should have been a very romantic experience but why does it sound like a joke when I utter it. I feel so ashamed by my infatuation.

He chuckled then he led me to sit beside him on the two seater sofa. "I didn't mean to make fun of you. Really, I wanna say thank you for liking this kind of person. Frankly, I never expected anyone to befriend me or even like me, especially after they know of my condition. You are probably the silliest person I know who accepts me the way I am. I told myself I shouldn't even be angry with you when you turned your back against me the time you learn the truth, cause that's something I have always mentally prepared myself for "

"You knew I'll react that way?"

"Anyone would... I didn't mean to lie to you, but I guess subconsciously I became a little selfish too, hoping I could really keep a companion to myself. But who knows, even with all the mental preparation I had, when you eventually do turn away from me, I couldn't hide my disappointment. I'm terrible to have put you through this, Mirai. I like to formally apologise." 

"Ryosuke, I should be sorry for breaking the promise with you. My attitude was terrible. I coloured my perceptions, it's my wrong even if the majority does. Would you forgive me?"

"Truce?" Ryosuke held out his fist and we did a fist punch to signal the end of the war. While I temporarily forgot about that embarrassing confession, he made me remember.

"So what about the other part of it?"

"... A-ah... You don't have to respond to me. I'm sorry to trouble you with such unnecessary burden"

"Seriously, why should you be sorry about everything when you didn't do anything wrong. I ban you from saying this word "

"Heh? But..."

"And if it's something you already say out, it's difficult to pretend I didn't hear it and just forget about it"

"Does it mean we can't be friends?"

"You must have watched too much dramas of failed confessions that lead to awkward friends who eventually break away."

"Something like that..." I shyly lowered my head, unable to look at his shimmering eyes. Yet he held my face, forcing me to look right into that beautiful pair of eyes which is almost hypnotic.

"I didn't say it failed. Believe it or not, what your confession matters more to me than it is to you... It's the best thing that has happened to me and if you don't mind this me who is far from your ideal kind of perfect man, and don't mind others judging you for being with me, I hope you can give me a chance..."

"Ryosuke~" my tears are welling up in my eyes. It's too difficult to see him with those overflowing tears which I try so hard to hold back. It's tears of disbelief and happiness. It's my first official relationship and I got the guy I love. 

"It doesn't matter how others see you. The fact is you're handsome, you're kind, you're everything to me..." I brushed my tears and said confidently.

"Mirai," he held my shoulders and said with a more serious tone, "i am really not Gonna be that perfect boyfriend in any girl's dreams, but I promise you, i will protect you with the best of my abilities, be it from the harm from others or even from me. it will never be my intention to hurt you."

"Ryosuke, as long as I'm with you, I don't mind anything!" I threw myself over him, forgetting my injury. Perhaps I need some pain to assure me that this is not just a dream. In fact, this is better than a dream! He flinched a little, like as though he was shocked. I couldn't care by then, I just wanna immerse myself in his warmth. As I hugged him intensely, I came up with a list of personal goals for this relationship.

1. To feed him back into his toned body (he's too skinny since the past weeks)
2. To wait for him to hold my hands (I hope I can hold back until he takes the initiative. I may be the thirsty one)
3. To have him forcefully pull me into his embrace like in those typical korean dramas with overly-dramatic couples.
4. To sit under the stars with him and talk about anything and everything.
5. Lastly, for him to hold my face, caress it then kiss me on the lips. I really can't imagine how tasteful his thin, moist, alluring lips would be.

****
Ryosuke was finally back home to face his four walls. He was tired but was too happy to even remember his exhaustion. He hasn't felt so mentally relaxed for a long time. Being with Mirai has given him a new lease of life, one that doesnt involve him pretending that he doesn't mind being alone. He doesn't ever have to be alone from now. He sat on his bed which sits beside the window and stares out into dark infinite sky filled with shimmering stars. silently, he conveyed his deepest gratitude for one of his many wishes to be finally answered. A subtle smile curls up on his lips, emitting hints of happiness. 

That silence prompted him to think back moments before he found himself in the aid of Saki and Mirai. 

...

He was in class, all alone, staring at that little folded star Mirai placed on his desk. He has read the message when he is sure Mirai has left. He thought he shouldn't keep her by his side since he has seen how much he has damaged her. He didn't want to burden her with the discrimination surrounding him, especially when he is sure there is no longer future for him. Yet when he read the message hidden within the star, he wavered. 

"I'll watch over you, Ryosuke."

He sighed, pressing his temples then had his head collapsed on his desk covered under his arms. 

"Yamada Ryosuke, you know sleeping in class is not permitted right?" A voice startled him. He thought he has forgotten he is in the midst of lessons, but when he looked up, he only realised a teacher who is imagining herself having lessons. He didn't bother answering her, instead he stood up and carried his bag.

"Ryosuke. Listen to me for a bit will you? Please..." Yuriko sensei ran up to him and stood in his path. 

"Can you just leave me alone?! You are just irritating as Mirai."

"I just wanna help you... Please let me"

"Help?! The last time you did, you ruined it for me. If you are doing all these things just to reduce your guilt, then please just stop, it's not necessary."

"I am sorry, Ryosuke... I admit, I really ruined you. I know nothing I'm gonna say is going to change anything for you. But just listen to me this once. I won't disturb you after that..." Ryosuke finally stood silence and rebutted no more. He gave her the chance to speak. 

"Mirai is going to be a good companion to you. I am certain about this, and I don't think you didn't notice her sincerity."

"So what, if I had noticed her sincerity. If I hadn't been so indecisive in getting rid of her, there wouldn't even be such complications."

"You ignore it because you think you are no good for her and you are afraid you will hurt her... You are a coward Ryosuke"

"YES, I'm A COWARD! So?! What's so good about me? Nothing! She doing all these for me, and what can I do for her?! Still nothing!"

"You can... Who says you can't. Friendship is a magical thing. She watches over you, you watch over her."

"You are missing the point. I will hurt her with all the issues I faced. She goes out with me and will be judged by the others. She will be embarrassed. She will eventually be tired of being at my side."

"Then you protect her... You do what you can to make sure she doesn't get the hurt. It's a choice than an ability. That's what friends do, they look after each other even if they probably fail. And if they do fail and fall over, they help each other stand up again."

Ryosuke hasn't heard someone ever telling him he can achieve something such as protecting someone. He doubted himself and for a good minute he can't answer her. He is tempted by Mirai's presence, but at the same time, his cowardice kept him away. He was afraid the same thing that happened with Yuriko sensei will happen again, and he will lose his last hopes, he will lose her. On this thought, he realises she is important.

"You really think I can?"

"Yes, Ryosuke, I am sure you can." Yuriko sensei's encouragement left him confidence. 

...

While he probably can't forget the sad episode with Yuriko sensei, he is still grateful of her support. He shuts his eyes with his mind filled with a day of happy memories and he hopes for more. The time of happiness has come. He regains faith of a happily ever after for him regardless how tough the journey is going to turn out. 

"I'll do my best..." He said to himself softly, with a crimson smile revealing itself on his lips.

***

If anyone gonna call this a happy day, it's not limited to Umika, Mirai, Ryosuke, Kento... To Sora, watching the older boy resting beside her was therapeutic. His thick brows was frowned and she lightly caressed it. She heard it is supposed to ease any tensions, giving the person a sense of assurance and calming effect. He has a thicker, blacker hair than Kento, with cool waves. She notices his skin under the light isn't as smooth as Ryosuke and it also seems much tired, and she wondered if he had a hard time at work too. But she admires this masculine imperfections. She suddenly shivered in the falling temperatures. The air conditioning at night always seem stronger. She rubbed her shoulders. The cold night made her lose her sanity and in the end, she slipped her arms around his and tugged herself so close she becomes immersed in his comforting warmth. She leaned on his shoulders and eventually fell asleep. even though her purpose was to accompany him, it felt like he kept her accompanied. That night became so peaceful, with the unreciprocated love awaiting to blossom in the optimistic hopes of the girl. It's the purest of the kind with the giving of all love but asking for none in return.

The bustling of the corridor leading to the wards eventually woken her up. She didn't immediately opened her eyes, in fact, she was embarrassed to. However, she couldn't feel any jerking from the guy she leaned on the whole night. Moreover, she expected an aching body from sitting upright the whole night as she remembered. On the contrary, she felt comfortable. She mustered her courage, bracing herself as she opened her eyes. It's not because she only had eyes for him, but her first sight was him. And that warm sensation cushioning her back the whole time was his legs. She realised she had laid on his laps the whole time. She wouldn't have the guts to do this. She looked at him, hoping for an answer. He helped her up and she quickly apologised with temperature rising up to her cheeks. He was equally shy, avoiding her eyes as much as he could help it. 

There was a laughter by the side. When they turned to the source of disturbance, they realised it's none other than Mirai who has risen earlier and witnessed the whole heart-fluttering exchange between Sora and Daiki. Sora quickly explained herself in frenzy "no no, it's not what you think. I just fell asleep on him that's all"

"I see..." Mirai responded cheekily with her doubts casted.

"There's nothing going on, Mirai. He doesn't like me." Sora blurted it out in some frustration. She regretted big time. If there was a hold in front of her, she would probably have buried herself in it. "Anyway, I see you are well. I shall go back first." Sora barely bidded farewell before dashing off urgently. Mirai gave Daiki a death stare and an elbow jerk. The latter looked adorably helpless then he rushed after her. He saw her go up a bus. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to board it, he was too far. Instead, he ran after the bus, like a fool. Many girls on both sides of the road saw and was expressing their jealousy for whoever the guy is running after, yet to him, he is too tired to think of the limelight. He thought he would just die of exhaustion. He never felt happier to see the traffic light change to red. Seeing the bus came to a complete stop, he finally reached it. He knocked onto the door, surprising the driver who eventually relented to open the door for him.

Then Sora was looking down, she didn't notice the commotion and only knew when he grabbed her hands. "Heh?!"

"Come with me." He pulled her off the bus. She wasn't struggling but was too shocked to move her limbs so it ended up like he was dragging her off. Other passengers were stunned, but Daiki cannot care more. He pulled her to a distance and stopped at the roadside. He had his back facing her, while she looked upon him as she reconciled what just happened. It occurred to her that perhaps her actions had burdened him.

"Sorry, I know I shouldn't have disturbed you. I'll take note... It won't happen again."

He scratched his head in frustration, then turned to her, saying, "what won't happen again?! You mean, you caring for me? I appreciate that, really, Sora. And I don't think I want you to stop."

"Huh?" She frowned in confusion at his remarks. That sounds completely counterintuitive to his initial rejection. 

"It's really selfish, but can I ask if you are willing to wait for me. Like I told you before, my previous relationship is still bothering me sometimes and I don't think it's fair I date you when I'm distracted. Once I sort that out, I think I can commit myself."

She needed no further explanation. It only meant she has a chance and she may really get his heart. She blushed at those thoughts infiltrating her mind. She can't consider those thoughts dirty, it's simple hopes to hold his hand as they stroll the streets, to snuggle up to him when she feels cold, to lie on his shoulders when she feels tired, to tug close to him on a couch to watch a horror flick. But it seems she is the only one happy. Walking alongside him, she noticed he looks very down casted and was too quiet.

"Are you okay? You can tell me, maybe you'll feel better after saying it out."

"Thanks Sora. It's just that my previous girlfriend was the sister of a member of a triad gang. When I found out, I chose my career over love. I broke up with her and I could still remember her crying so hard outside my door everyday. I even personally arresting her brother in one of my anti-drug operations. I disregarded her plea to save her brother, the only other living family member besides her grandmother. and eventually she had suicidal thoughts. She scarred her wrists every night with a blunt object. The scars are disturbing, with new wounds overlapping over old ones. She came to my house repeatedly and attempted to kill herself in front of me. Almost every other day? the havoc happening at my house before Mirai came will alert the neighbours. My superiors know of it and stepped in to help. I didn't want her to be arrested too, but I didn't have a say anymore. I was warned by my superiors as well to stay clear of trouble. I..."

He crashed onto a bench right beside us and buried his head within his palms. Sora saw and could almost feel that immense sense of guilt and desperation burning him. Without much thoughts, she grabbed his hands, bring them away from his throbbing headache. While their eyes met, she brought his hands to her side and gave a light squeeze. The Earth stood still then, they looked into each other's eyes so deeply, it seemed like they could really read the other person completely. Their eyes never parted, same for their firm grip of each other's hands. Daiki kept her small hand within his, returning that squeeze and eventually their grip seemed inseparable. He gave her a smile that reassures her that he received her message -  "I will be there for you if you ever need".

***

Days past and Mirai is glad she is in the pink of health again. Regardless, she needs to get to school today. She told herself she will not miss her first school sports day. This shared tradition across the schools is something she enjoyed back at Kyoto too. She wanted to experience to attend the sports day even though Daiki had banned her from the fields. She was disappointed cause that means she can't participate in the 4x400m relay which she had signed up for. Another of her classmate replaced her. With her long legs, she possibly can run a full round within a shorter time than Mirai. The latter though still feel sore about being replaced, she thought at least the other girl can guarantee a better results. Nonetheless, keeping a positive mind, she hopped her way to school via that route she hasn't felt happier to take for sometime. Nearing the cafe, she saw him walked out. They haven't met for 2 days and she already felt like she is missing him so much. Feelings of inseparable grew stronger, and she wondered it is attributed to the frightening attack which landed her in hospital with plentiful stitches. 

He didn't notice her, so she intended to give him a surprise. He was wearing a cream-white knitted sweater and it felt cosy and warm in this autumn. She ran up to him and gave her cheerful morning greetings. He was plugged in to his music and did not take it out. In fact, he merely gave a subtle nod and never stopped in his path at all. Mirai's heart sank, she thought it was all a dream, and that Ryosuke is still the cold him who has rejected her. She pouted as her feet froze behind him, thinking that even cuddling beside him with his sweater imparting warmth, can only be a dream. 

She heard giggles, she thought she had imagined. The laughter was real when she heard again. "Heh?" Then Ryosuke turned around to face her, with a cheeky look on his face. She retaliated with a pout, and it was almost like it became mandatory to give in to his adorable prank, she ran up beside him. This time, she isn't gonna let herself fall for another prank, so she clinged onto his arms and enjoyed that fluffy warmth from his sweater and strong arms. He looks uncomfortable at first, but eventually his expression softens when she gave a smile of uncontrollable fondness. "What music were you listening?" She asked as he removed his earplugs. They slowly strolled to school and the walk itself was so peaceful.

"Instrumentals..."

"That's your favourite genre?"

"Yes. I don't like loud music."

"Sora's songs are quite soft, you think? I like it alot."

"Yes, her's are nice to listen to. It spurs you when you are down." Ryosuke complimented.

"Exactly," Mirai excitedly remarked. Her attempt to test out Ryosuke's reception to her friends after the incident seems successful. At least he isn't resistant to mentions of her. There's still Kento and Umika who were the very reasons for the tormenting incident. 

"I'll be okay with them" he said suddenly. It was like he could read her mind. Perhaps it was because her discomfort was written all over face. "If that's what you are worrying."

"Really?! Whatever they did, you can forgive and forget?!" She felt it's too unbelievable to be true.

"What's there to forgive or forget. I'm always gonna be that Ryosuke who people shuns from. It's not changing anything. The only thing that has changed is you..."

"Me?"

"You accepted me. That's a change, regardless if it leads to a bad or good ending. But I promised you to never hurt you, I'll make sure I do it. For your friends, it's not a matter of my choice, it's theirs."

The worst thing about Mirai is that everything is written over her face. Before she could respond to him, he melted her heart, "if it matters to you, I forgive them." He chuckled as she nodded enthusiastically. She continued snuggling up to him and she was glad it seems he is no longer resisting that proximity, instead she could see that subtle radiance returning onto his charming face. Only when we reached school and we noticed students looking at us, gossiping, Ryosuke's uneasiness became evident. He attempted to distance from her. On the contrary, she did not felt disgraced, or embarrassed about being seen with him, instead, she tightened her grip around his arm, clinging onto him much more. He looked at her and said no more, his actions tell it all. He gradually relaxed. He knows her intention is clear that she needs no protection from the eyes of those coloured perceptions and discrimination against him. Instead, she is his protector.

At the fields, everyone is sat according to their classes. Ryosuke appeared reluctant to go to his class' designated area. Mirai knew he will quietly detour to the rooftop once she isn't looking, so she waited until he lets his guards off. She was right.

"Ryosuke!"

She ran to him, giving him a shock. She grabbed his hands and said, "sports day will be fun to watch! Trust me." He froze for a long time, looking into her eyes like he was searching for the reason he felt different whenever she said something. When Mirai saw the subtle smile crept up his face, she knew she succeeded. Like a tyrant, she held the nervous hands of her capture and walked him to the field. 

The audience area was clearly roaring with cheers from each class and there was not a minute of silence. No one could hear anyone. She sat right at the back with Umika and Sora, and in the same line right at the other corner of the audience area, she could see Ryosuke sitting alone. That aura of loneliness draws her right to him, giving her a strong urge to give him a surprise hug him from back, eliminating those unpleasant feelings trapped within him. But she knows overdoing it will only make him feel more useless and also ruin his dignity as a man. She already forced him to attend something he didn't want, and she began thinking if she was the one making him more unhappy than he already is as he tried to please her. It  makes her sad just looking at him all alone. She tried turning away, to distract herself. But her mind just goes back to him.

"Heh? Where's Ryosuke?" She mumbled to herself worriedly. The seat is empty, only his belongings are there. 

"Mirai~" Umika and Sora ran after her as she went to his seat to collect his belongings in case someone would play pranks on him like the vandalism at his locker. 

"It's Ryosuke, but where is he?" Umika and Sora heard the reason for Mirai's frenzy. 

 

***

Sorry for the long wait. Pokemon go really disrupted my plans to write. I hope you love this chapter too and please leave a comment when you are done:) recently, I'm also trying to buy tickets for hey say jump Dear con in Nagoya since I'll be there with my friends on holiday then. Unfortunately, it's so hard to get a ticket, so I didn't manage to get one. I'm there yet I can't see them:( haha, ignore my random rants.