Maybe this Time

Seventeen Love Letter Collection

 

 

 


 

 

 

Set in a cool Autumn weather (although my country doesn’t really have fall coz we only got two seasons, so this is basically what I think Autumn feels like)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soonyoung stretches as he finishes his class for today. The students greeted him goodbye and he smiles back as he waves them off one by one. He was left all alone in the studio cleaning the left over mess.

 

 

 

He places the brushes in their container and the sketch pads on his desk, as he checks one more time if he missed something. Seeing that everything was in their proper place, he decides to call it a day and closes the studio.

 

 

 

He walks to the nearest food place, which unsurprisingly turns out be owned by one of his friends, Mingyu. He walks in as per usual and was greeted by a beaming Seokmin.

 

 

“Good evening sir~ Welcome to Ming Chicken. What can I get for you today?” Seokmin greets as he says his practiced greeting.

Soonyoung just smiles at the younger male before making his reply. “Just the usual Seok but I’ll have it for takeout this time. Tell Mingyu I said Hi.”

 

 

Seokmin nods as he tells the order to Mingyu who was cooking at the back. Soonyoung sat in one of the empty tables as he waited for his order.

 

 

He came home as per usual, eats his dinner and washes up afterwards and drifts off to sleep. It was the same cycle every day, lest some occasion was happening, but other than that it was another day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soonyoung wakes up the next day does his daily morning routine and heads to his studio to open it and cleans up a bit as he waits for his first class to arrive.

 

 

 

The front door chimes tinkles indicating someone entering. Soonyoung stops his cleaning and tilts his head to the side in wonder. It was too early for any of his students to arrive, so who was at the front. He came out from the classroom and to the front desk only to see a person’s back who seems to be looking around his workplace.

 

 

Soonyoung lets out a small cough, indicating his presence. The mystery person turns to face him and he felt his breath got caught as he stares at the person in front of him. She smiles at him.

 

 

 

 

That ever familiar smile, even if it’s been years since he last saw it. It was all too familiar and special to be forgotten.

 

 

 

 

 

“Soonyoung.” She says his name with a smile. “How are you?” She asks.

 

 

 

 

Soonyoung just stares at her, not moving from his place. She approaches him warily seeing his expression.

 

 

As she comes closer, Soonyoung momentarily forgets how to breathe. Dang. Even if it’s been too long she still manages to knock his breath away.

 

 

She stands a few meters away. Close enough to talk to him but far enough to give him space. She seemed like she wanted to say something but words just wouldn’t come out of . By now Soonyoung finally process the situation and finds himself moving and breathing again.

 

He lets out a sigh. One he hasn’t noticed his been holding.

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing here?” He asks her.

 

 

She smiles at him again. “I came to talk to you.”

 

 

“What’s there left to talk about? I don’t think we have anything to do with each other anymore.” He says harshly.

“I know. But I was looking for you.” She replies.

“Looking for me? Well you found me. But that still doesn’t mean I’m going to give in to whatever you’re going to say. I’m not the Soonyoung you used to know.” He tells her off as he turns away from her.

“Soon-ah. Can you please just listen to what I have to say?” She pleads as she holds on to his shirt. Soonyoung stops, as the fabric pull him back to her.

“Please let me go. Please. While I’m still being nice.” Soonyoung tells her, not sparing a single glance.

 

 

 

She was about to say something when the door tinkles and a few of his students enters. She lets go of him.

 

 

 

“Please leave. I still have class and I don’t want to make them wait.” Soonyoung says, turning a 180 with his personality.

 

 

 

She fell silent as she stares at Soonyoung forced polite smile intended towards her. A few more students enter, passing by her as they greet Soonyoung and he greets them back with a smile. His students went ahead to the classroom as Soonyoung was left waiting for her to leave.

 

 

 

 

“I’m really sorry Soonyoung. I’ll be waiting for you until you’re ready to talk to me.” She says and quietly leaves.

 

 

 

Soonyoung lets out another sigh as he watches her disappearing figure. Why did she have to come back? He takes a deep breath and preps himself to his usual cheerful self, although after meeting with her again, his cheerfulness suddenly comes out a bit force.

 

 

Soonyoung went on with his class, momentarily forgetting about the earlier encounter. The hours pass by quickly and it was time for his last class to end.

 

 

 

 

He does his usual check up, cleaning up the mess before calling it a day. He closes the studio and was caught off guard when he saw her standing outside his studio.

 

He stares at her, inspecting her weary look. Her nose was red and her hair a little frizzed, probably due to the weather.

 

 

 

“What are you still doing here?” He asks, bit calm this time.

“I-I was waiting for you.” She replies. Her voice came out a bit croaked.

 

 

 

 

He looks at her again, seeing her shaking hands.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Has she been standing outside this whole time?

 

 

 

 

“Go home. I don’t have the time to talk to you.” He tells her off immediately.

 

 

 

“But I—”

 

 

She wasn’t even able to finish her sentence when she caught herself tripping forwards, Soonyoung was almost ready to catch her as if it was on autopilot but thankfully she managed to balance herself.

Soonyoung quickly draws back his arms before she takes notice of his previous action.

 

 

 

“Look. It’s far too late and you look like the walking dead. Go home.” Soonyoung tells her as brushes past her. “Before you get sick.” He mumbles to himself.

 

He thought she hadn’t heard him but he hadn’t notice the small smile that formed on the female’s lips.

 

 

 

 

 

He still cares. She thinks to herself.

 

 

 

 

 

Soonyoung walks to Mingyu’s Chicken shop and turns to look behind him just to see that she hadn’t follow him. He’s face scrunches and a pout made its way to his lips. He enters the shop looking a bit out of it. Seokmin took notice of Soonyoung’s glum expression.

 

 

 

“What’s gotten you in the sour mood?” Seokmin asks, breaking Soonyoung from his trance.

“Huh? What are you talking about?” He asks.

Seokmin just smiles. “Nevermind. Anyway…. It’s the usual right?” He beats Soonyoung to it. The older male just nods and waits for his order.

 

 

Soonyoung went on with his night routine but something felt off that day. He was wondering why he was thinking of her and couldn’t get her off his mind. He promised to forget her after what she did but her sudden appearance just brought back memories.

 

 

 

“It’s going to be a long night.” He tells himself, hoping to fall asleep soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, Soonyoung found her waiting outside his studio. She was smiling at him. He turns to ignore her and walks in to his studio. The day went by and he closes the studio, just to see her standing outside of it again.

 

 

 

“I thought I told you to go home. And I don’t want to talk to you.” Soonyoung tells her.

“I’ll come over until you talk to me.” She replies with a determined smile.

“And what makes you think I’ll actually talk to you?” He asks.

“I believe you will. And technically you are talking to me right now.” She tells him.

 

 

Soonyoung lets out a frustrated grumble and walks away. She smiles at his disappearing figure.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next few days were no different. She came just as she said and was still there when Soonyoung closes the studio. By now he doesn’t seem to realize that he ends up having small talks with her, even though its mostly about him telling her to ‘Go Home’ or to ‘Leave him alone’ but no matter what he says, she still comes over.

 

 

Soonyoung wakes up dreading the day till he realizes that it was Sunday and he had no classes today. He sits up immediately and smiles knowing he won’t be seeing you.

 

He went on with his daily routine and realizes he was running out of supplies and decides to do some grocery. He came to the supermarket, checking his list for the items he needs and walks around, not watching where he was going, until his cart bumps into someone.

 

 

 

 

“Oh! I’m sorry. I wasn’t watch—”

 

 

He stops when he realizes who he bumped into. His face scrunches into annoyance.

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing here? Are you stalking me here now?” He asks a bit harshly.

 

Somewhat she took offence on what he said. “I’m sorry but is this not a supermarket? Am I not allowed to do my groceries?”

 

 

 

Soonyoung fell silent for awhile realizing what she said.

 

 

 

“Well yeah. But you still could have come some other time. Or some other supermarket. It’s much of a coincidence for you to be here in the same place as I am. It seems oddly suspicious to me.” Soonyoung replies, scrutinizing her.

She scoffs. “This is most definitely a coincidence and I do not stalk you.”

“Says the girl who waits outside of my studio for hours.” He says.

“I wait there until you finally decided to talk to me but I don’t stalk you. I shall repeat myself. This is purely a coincidence.” She tells him.

“Uh huh. Sure. Sure.” Soonyoung mocks.

 

 

 

“I’ll be going on my way.” She just smiles at him and leaves.

 

 

Soonyoung stares until she was no longer in his sight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Monday came quickly and Soonyoung arrives, surprise to not see her standing outside his studio.

 

 

 

She must be embarrass since I found out she was stalking me. He thinks to himself.

 

She’ll probably come around by the end of the day.

 

 

 

 

 

Soonyoung was about done cleaning up and closes his studio, when he heard feet shuffling. He smirks guessing it was her.

 

 

 

“I knew you’d come by. Admit it you’re embarrassed since I found out the truth.” He turns to the source of the noise and saw a guy staring at him weirdly.

 

“Who the hell are you?” The guy says.

 

 

Soonyoung fakes a cough and turns back his focus on locking his studio. The guy passes by leaving Soonyoung alone. He turns back to face the side of his studio and still no sign of her. He brushes it off thinking she must have given up on talking to him.

 

 

 

He came home and wonders why she hadn’t come by that day, then realizes he was thinking about her and brushes the thought aside.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She wasn’t there the next day and the day after that as well. And this time he tried to take a bit of time in the studio, just to check if she’ll swing by or pop out of nowhere. But nope; there was no sign of her. She just disappeared.

 

 

 

Soonyoung scoffs. “Really? After all that big talk about waiting for me until I decide to talk to her was just for show. Who cares about her?!”

 

 

 

 

Soonyoung walks to the chicken shop looking a bit annoyed and once again Seokmin took notice of it.

 

 

“Something the matter? You look like you’re ready to kill someone.” Seokmin teases.

 

 

Soonyoung stares at him as if he was ready to pounce on the younger male.

 

 

“Chill. Chill. I was just trying to lighten the mood.” Seokmin says, trying to spare himself from Soonyoung’s wrath.

“Nothing’s wrong.” Soonyoung replies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Actually…. You’re right something is wrong. Something’s wrong with me.” Soonyoung says.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eventually Soonyoung ends up telling Seokmin about his past and how she suddenly appears in his life once again until what happened today. And how suddenly feels whenever she’s around and now that she’s gone again. Mingyu listens, knowing full well who the older meant. Seokmin listens intently.

 

Time flew by, Soonyoung hasn’t realize he’s been in the shop far too long until he caught Mingyu flipping the Close sign.

Mingyu took notice of the older and smiles.

 

 

“Hyung. I know I promised not to say anything regarding her but I think you should know something.” Mingyu starts.

 

 

 

 

“I think you still like Dabin-noona.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

And just those words were enough to make something click in Soonyoung’s mind.

 

 

 

“No. I can’t possible like her again. Not after everything that happened.” Soonyoung quickly denies.

“I think you still like her too.” Seokmin adds. “And I think it’s about time you face her.”

Mingyu nods in agreement.

 

 

 

Soonyoung was left dumbfounded by his friends’ words but somehow, he knew. He knew they were right.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning Soonyoung walks to his studio and stops when he notices a familiar figure standing outside of it. He felt his heart pace quickly. He takes a breath before moving forwards to open his studio, trying to pretend he doesn’t notice her presence.

 

 

 

“Soon-ah.”

 

 

She speaks and Soonyoung feigns shock.

 

 

 

“Oh! You’re here. And here I thought you’d finally given up on trying to talk to me. What made you decide to come back oh so suddenly?” His voice was filled with sarcasm but in all honesty, he was curious to her sudden disappearance for the past few days.

“Some things just came up.” She says all too quickly, as if hiding a secret. She wasn’t looking at him and was avoiding eye contact.

 

 

 

Although Soonyoung could simply go with his act but her unusual action and his realization made him feel worried.

 

 

“Did something happen to you?” He asks; voice returning to a normal tone.

“No; nothing for you to worry about.” She replies.

“Who says I was worried? I’m just asking since you suddenly disappeared on me.” Soonyoung reasons but it was clearly evident on his face that he was worried.

 

 

 

Dabin was taken aback by Soonyoung’s sudden outburst.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to disappear on you. Not then and most definitely not now.” She apologizes.

“Then why did you? Why did you leave without saying anything to me? You left me wondering for 3 years Bin. Three years I haven’t heard from you. I thought you got tired of me and left. I tried to move on. I finally move on but you suddenly come back again and everything comes back to me again.” Soonyoung spills as tears were starting to form from his eyes.

 

 

 

 

“I’m really sorry Soonyoung.” She apologizes once more, tears were b from her eyes.

 

 

 

“Stop apologizing and tell me. You wanted to talk to me didn’t you? Here! I’m listening now. So tell me. Why did you suddenly disappear on me?” Soonyoung was practically pleading.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“To keep you safe.” She replies.

 

 

 

Soonyoung face turns to confusion.

 

 

 

“Keep me safe? From what?” Soonyoung asks.

 

 

 

 

 

Dabin tells him the reason. How she was left with her Father’s debt and loan sharks were after her and her mother. How they threatened to kill the people close to them and how scared she was to lose him.

 

“I thought it was better if I disappeared from your life if it means keeping you away from harm. I didn’t want you to get involved with my family’s problem. I didn’t want to see you get hurt. I never meant to leave you but I had to. Just when I thought everything was finally at peace again and they stop hunting us down. Just when I thought I could finally explain things to you. You disappeared. I search everywhere to find you and it took some time before I found you again. But by then…. You didn’t want anything to do with me. I’m sorry.” She explains, finally breaking down into a crying fit.

 

 

 

Soonyoung took hold of her and let her inside the studio before people starts talking about their situation.

 

 

 

“They came back again that’s why I’ve been gone for the past few days. I wanted to tell you everything. I really did. But I hadn’t found the right time. And when I did you brush me aside. I want to be with you. I still want to be with you. I wanted to be by your side.” She sniffles.

 

 

 

Soonyoung hugs her; calming the younger girl. He’s body took over his rational thinking but he didn’t care about it at the moment.

 

 

 

“Shh… You’re here now. That’s what matters the most.” He caresses her face as he says soothing words.

“I’m really sorry Soon. I should have explained to you sooner.” She cries again.

“Doesn’t matter anymore. I finally know the reason now and that’s what matters.” He tells her.

“But they’re still out there. They might harm you. I’m scared.” She faces him as she places a hand on his face.

“We’ll find a way. We’ll get through this together. And I would never let anyone keep you away from me again.” He promises her and hugs her tightly. Dabin hugs him back, happy to be finally in his arms, in his hold.

 

 

 


 

And so I'm alive again. I haven't proofread this so if there are some mistakes then my bad. This story legit came out of nowhere. i was supposed to write a few more drabbles for my 365 story yet end up making this. And all because of that song (hence the title). I hope you like it though. It literally took me time to update this and it took about 3 or 4 hours to write this coz I wasn't really that much inspired. I was staring at my Sonyoung wallpaper for inspiration just for this.

 

Anyway enjoy :)

 

-Kaye :3