fin

Red Lights

ok i actually posted this up in my oneshot compilation but that was a first draft and it was quite poor actually, i've gone through several revisions with this and i really like it so

word count: 1109


 

The world was far from fair. He remembered seeing his life flash before his eyes, the already dim lights of his small town growing dimmer as he found himself taken and stripped of his identity – no longer a person but rather a number. 208, in correlation with his birthday.  Black hair, brown eyes, age 19. ‘208’ tattooed into the side of his thigh, dressed in skimpy clothing that showed all too much skin for his comfort, and shoved into a room with a price tag attached to his neck, For Sale.

Buyers with dark eyes looked him up and down, their bodies covered in the most expensive of clothing and jewelry, the scent of money drifting from their pockets like the smell of fresh baked bread from the nearby bakery. The boy could never be more disgusted with himself as eyes dragged up and down his body, seen as an object for their own enjoyment.

“I’ll take that one,” said a man, eyes narrowing at him, not too much older than himself. The boy scowled.

“He’s fresh. Have fun,” the dealer said, shifting through the money the man had handed him, before stashing it in the pockets of his coat and making his way to 208. He tugged the price tag off of his neck and shoved him in the direction of the man.

The man smiled ever so gently; it was almost terrifying.  He did this before taking the boy’s hand into his own and guiding him outside of the underground. “I’m Sunggyu. I suppose that's all you need to know of me now.”

 

The boy found himself in the back of the man’s car, whose name he now learned was Sunggyu, with his hands folded in his lap, fingers twiddling about while the car moved in the direction of the richer part of the city - somewhere he never imagined he would be.

“It’s different, isn’t it? From what you’re used to?” The boy didn’t utter a word. “You’re allowed to speak, you know. I won’t bite.”

“Y-yes…” the boy stuttered, “it is nicer.”

“I’ll tell you this now,” Sunggyu paused, parking once they arrived and making his way toward the passenger’s seat. He let the boy out of the car before continuing, “I don’t believe in those kinds of things.”

The boy felt a lump form in his throat as he met eyes with Sunggyu, whose eyes had not a trace of lust but rather flowed with compassion and care. “T-then why did you buy me?”

The latter smiled, eyes disappearing as he carefully pulled the boy out of the car, shutting the door behind him. “To get you out of that hell hole.” Sunggyu brushed 208’s hair from his face before speaking again. “Don’t worry. I won’t do anything to you. I promise.” Sunggyu opened the door of his apartment and allowed him inside. “I’ll give you everything that you need so you can be out of here. You’re probably terrified of me,” Sunggyu stifled a laugh.

“Thank you.” A silence fell between the two, but Sunggyu was on the phone the next moment, mumbling words about a tattoo artist who won't turn him into the government for escaping from his owner. After hanging up the call, Sunggyu moved toward the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water, looking over his shoulder and then back before asking the boy if he wanted anything to eat. He merely shrugged, as his fingers still fumbled in his lap. Sunggyu brought over a glass of water and a sandwich, and set in on the coffee table in front of them.  “I don’t know what you like, so I went with something simple.” Sunggyu sat quietly while the boy nibbled on the food he gave him. “You can get out of here if you want, or you can stay. It’s up to you.”

“I don’t have anywhere to go... my mother was taken years ago and I’ll never find out who took her or if she’s even alive.”

 

Moments later, Sunggyu opened the door and greeted someone who smiled softly and bowed his head before letting himself inside. “You ready?”

The process was excruciating - the needle burned into his skin as Sunggyu explained that the tattoo needed to be larger so he wouldn’t get caught if anyone saw the tattooed area. Ink covered half his thigh, the identity of 208 diminishing as the time ticked by. Sunggyu explained that owners weren’t supposed to release their slaves; any suspecting runaway slaves would be checked for their tattoos. Some would be released but some would be returned to their owners.

 

The two sat in silence after the tattoo artist left, the boy staring at the ink on his skin before speaking up. “Why do you want to get rid of me so much?”

“It’s far from that, actually. But we both have lives to live and I don’t think I want to be a burden to you now that you’re out of there.”

“I have nowhere to go…”

“There’s a facility not too far from here. They provide for runaways and they’ll give you anything you need. Food, shelter, you name it. The tattoo was to make you unsuspected. I wouldn’t send you outside of this building without a tattoo.” Sunggyu pursed his lips after not receiving a response. “What do you think a good name would be for you?”

He only shrugged, flinching when Sunggyu's eyes lit up and a loud clap resonated throughout the room. “Woohyun - I’m setting you free.”

Woohyun wondered how Sunggyu spoke so lightly in a situation, but he agreed anyway and let Sunggyu help him with his newly acquired things and out of the door. Sunggyu handed him a napkin with directions to the facility scribbled in black ink before he spoke once again. “Go live, Woohyun.”

 

Sunggyu sent him away, closing the door once his back had turned.  Working up the courage, Woohyun walked with heavy feet that led him to the entrance of the apartment complex, following all the directions step by step. His eyes met with intimidating glass doors, making his feet come to an immediate halt. Woohyun turned around, feet moving quickly in the direction back to the apartment complex. He found himself in front of the wooden door of Sunggyu's apartment, and lifted his hand to meet with it.

 

Knock, knock, knock. The door clicked open and Sunggyu’s eyes were soft, but almost twinkling, seeing him.

“What are you doing?”

“Living,” Sunggyu said with a smile, a real smile.  Then Sunggyu's lips curved upwards, opening the door to its fullest and giving Woohyun his opportunity to live.