Final.

The Hideout

 

 

I entered the dining hall and immediately scanned for an empty table, spotting one almost instantly. I made a beeline straight for the table, sat down and waited for Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Joonmyun – if he wasn’t having a lunch date with his girlfriend, Miyoung. It was a typical Tuesday lunch. Sehun and Kai don’t eat with us on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays because of dance practice.

“So?” Chanyeol started as he plopped down onto the chair next to me, Baekhyun and Joonmyun following in his lead.

“So what?” I asked.

“How was your date last night?” He asked excitedly.

You see, my group of friends are – for some unknown reason – really interested in my love life. I’m really not sure why, considering I don’t really have much of one. Then again, maybe that’s why. Joonmyun, Sehun and Kai all have girlfriends, Baekhyun and Chanyeol are both self-proclaimed ‘Ladies Men’ who don’t want to be ‘tied down’ to anyone just yet, and that just leaves me. Not really looking for a relationship right now, yet at the same time I really want be with someone.

Friday last week, a rather short blonde, Chaemi, introduced herself to me in the library while I was studying. She asked if I wanted to go out for dinner sometime – which kinda shocked me, a girl has never asked me out before, not that I don’t think they should, it was just different – she set the date for the following Monday and that was that. For the first time in a few months I had a date, and I knew the group would want to know everything about it.

“It was fine.” I said with a shrug as I took a bite of the shiny red apple that Sehun had given me this morning.

“Fine?” Baekhyun chimed in. “Just fine?”

“Yeah. She was nice and all but, I don’t know, she just wasn’t right for me.”

“But what actually happened?” Chanyeol pried.

“We went to a restaurant, talked a bit over dinner, I drove her back to her place, said goodnight, and left. We didn’t do anything exciting.” I explained, which was followed with a groan of disappointment from Baekhyun.

“Seriously dude, you didn’t even make out with her?” He said as he lifted his head. “I know who Chaemi is, she’s in my architecture class, I’ve seen her at parties and she totally would have been down for it.”

“Just because you and Yeol are like that, doesn’t mean everyone else is Baek.” Joonmyun said as he pointed his fork at Baekhyun.

“Anyway guys, I’m going to head off.” I said, swallowing the last bite of my apple.

“You haven’t even been her for 10 minutes!” Baekhyun complained.

“I know, but I have to study. Got a test on desserts coming up in my Culinary Arts class.” I smiled. “I’ll see you guys later.”

“Later.” Baekhyun and Chanyeol said at the same time, while Joonmyun just waved.

 

---

 

On the way to the library, I stopped by my dorm room that I shared with Kai to drop off my books from previous classes and pick up any additional books I needed for studying.

I made my way across campus, to the library, only to find every table had been taken. I reached into my back pocket, only to realise that my phone wasn’t there. I panicked momentarily before remembering that I had left it sitting on my bed side table. Sighing, I headed back to my dorm to google for any quiet, not so well-known cafes nearby, and after scrolling past a few, I found one called The Hideout. It was like a little book store and a café in one, tucked down a side street of a not so busy road. It’s one of those places that if you didn’t know it was there, you’d have no clue it even existed.

I smiled as I took one more look at the address before locking my phone and putting it in my pocket. I did one final check of my bag, to make sure I had everything before I took off, headed straight for the nearby café.

 

---

 

I hadn’t even opened the café door and I could already faintly smell the coffee. I love the smell of coffee, it relaxes me. I opened the door and was immediately hit with a stronger aroma of the coffee. As I walked up to the counter to order my drink, I took in a deep breath, relishing in one of my favorite scents. I looked around to find that there were only two other customers currently occupying a table between them. An elderly couple were just sitting, sipping their coffees, smiling and chatting quietly between them. The looked so in love that I couldn’t stop the smile that appeared on my face. I’m a er for old couples in love.

When I finally got to the counter, there was no one there. I was about to call out when the old lady accidentally knocked over her coffee.

“Oh dear.” She sighed.

I quickly abandoned my thought of ordering, grabbed some napkins that where on the counter and walked over to assist the elderly couple with cleaning up.

“Here, let me help you with that.” I said as I stood the mug up and began to wipe up the spill.

“Such a nice young man.” She said with a smile, and I smiled in return. Once I’d cleaned up as much as I could, I threw away the soaked napkins, and turned to see that there was someone at the counter. The couple slowly pushed their chairs out, getting ready to leave, so I held my arm out for the lady to support herself on.

“Thank you for helping clean that mess.” The lady said.

“It was no problem at all.” I smiled in return.

I offered to take the couples dirtied mugs for them, receiving a pat on my cheek from the lady as she thanked me again, and her husband smiled and patted my shoulder as they made their way past me and out the door.

I turned back to their now abandoned table and sighed contently before stacking the mugs and making my way back towards the counter.

When I reached the counter, the girl behind it was facing the back room – I assumed she was talking to whoever was back there. Placing the mugs on the counter, they made that telltale sound of crockery clinking together, and that was enough to let the girl know I was there. She turned around and I was immediately lost for words.

“Hello!” She said enthusiastically. “Welcome to The Hideout.”

She was stunning.

Absolutely gorgeous.

“What can get for you?” She asked, breaking me from the trance I was in.

“Hi.” I smiled. “Um, these mugs are from that elderly couple that were in here a few moments ago. The lady spilled her drink on the table. I tried to clean it up as best I could, but it will probably still get sticky.” I said, pushing the mugs towards her.

“That’s so nice of you to help them.” She took the mugs and placed them in the sink behind her. “You didn’t have to clean it up though, that’s what I’m here for.”

“It wasn’t a large spill, it was nothing.” I explained.

“Well, thank you for doing that. They come in all the time, just to sit at the same table, have a coffee and a biscuit, and chat. It’s amazing to see such an old couple still so in love.” She said with a gentle smile. “I just can’t help but wonder what they’ve gone through together, and how they’re still together even through all the ups and downs of life.”

“I know exactly what you mean.” I replied, smiling back at her.

 

---

 

After that day, I started going to the café more often. At first it was just to study, then it became almost a daily thing to go there just to get my morning coffee – let’s face it, it was to see Jaekyung. That was the girls name, Jaekyung.

I woke up one morning and to my amazement, Kai had woken up before me.

“What are you doing up so early?” I asked him.

“No idea.” He shrugged. “But I figured I might as well come with you to get coffee, seeing as I’m up and all.”

Morning Coffee.

Jaekyung.

“Sure, just let me shower real quick and we can head off.” I smiled before getting out of bed.

---

 

“How did you even find this place, Hyung?” Kai asked as we approached the café.

“Google.” I shrugged and smiled as I opened the door.

“Morning Kyungsoo!” Jaekyung beamed with that perfect smile of hers.

“Morning Jae.” I greeted back.

“Here is your usual, Grande latte with two sugars.” She slid my drink to me.

“Thank you.” I said as I paid for my drink. “By the way, this is Kai, my roommate--”

“And best friend forever!” Kai butted in, causing me to roll my eyes, which made Jaekyung giggle.

“And self-proclaimed best friend.” I finished with a sigh. “Kai, this is Jaekyung. She works here.”

“Well duh, Hyung.” Kai muttered under his breath.

“What can I get for you, Kai?” She smiled.

“I’ll just have what he had.” He said, using his finger to point to my takeaway cup.

“Sure thing.” She said before turning around to make the drink.

“I get it now.” Kai said quietly, but with a large grin on his face.

“Get what?” I asked.

“Why you’ve been in such a good mood lately, why you get up so early to come get coffee from an obscure – and I mean that in a good way – little café, and why you keep coming back.” He explained.

“And why’s that?” I asked, fully knowing what he meant, as I lifted my cup to my mouth.

“Dude, are you really going to make me say it?” He tilted his head at me, and looked at me with ‘do-you-really-think-I’m-that-stupid’ eyes.

“I guess not.” I sighed as Jaekyung came back to the counter with Kai’s coffee.

“Here you go.” She smiled as Kai thanked her and paid for his drink.

“I guess I’ll see you tomorrow morning Kyungsoo?” She asked.

“Sure will, same time as always.” I smiled at her as we said goodbye and left the shop.

“Just wait until the guys hear about this.” Kai said with the largest grin that his face could make, causing me to sigh. “Seriously Hyung, we’re having a group discussion about this at lunch.”

“Yeah yeah.” I muttered as I sipped my coffee.

 

---

 

“Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys!” Kai said as he came running to the table that the other five of us were sat at with that giant grin on his face.

“What’s up Kai?” Joonmyun asked out of curiosity.

“You’ll never guess what I found out today.” He sing-songed, gaining everyone’s attention and interest, whilst I immediately put my head on the table and wrapped my arms over the top, knowing exactly what he was talking about.

“What?” Baekhyun asked, not even bothering to guess.

“Somebody here has a developed a little crush.” He spoke, and I could feel everyone’s eyes land on me.

“Woah, woah, what? Really Soo?” Chanyeol asked but only getting a groan from me in return. “Is she pretty?” He proceeded to ask Kai.

“I don’t know, Soo? Is she?” Kai asked, forcing me to sit up and join the conversation.

“Yeah, I guess.” I answered, trying not to give away how I really felt.

“You guess?” Kai scoffed. “That’s the understatement of the century. She’s absolutely stunning and you know you thing so too.”

“Fine. She’s ing gorgeous.” I responded, giving into the group of wide eyed and huge grins all pointed at me.

“Damn straight she is.” Kai said in agreement. “Well? Go on, give them the deets, you know they’ll just pester you for them anyway.”

“Her name is Jaekyung, she’s 22, she’s a barista and I see her every morning to get my coffee. That’s all you’re getting.”

 

---

 

The next morning, I woke up at the same time as always and got ready. I opened my door to leave, only to find the other 4 guys waiting outside.

“What.” I deadpanned.

“You know exactly what.” Baekhyun replied.

“Nu-uh. This isn’t a thing that’s happening.” I shook my head in disapproval.

“Even if you don’t want us too, we’re just going to follow anyway, so you may as well just let us come along Hyung.” Sehun said.

“Fine.” I said through gritted teeth. “But if you guys say anything--”

“Yeah yeah.” Baek smiled. “Let’s go!”

 

---

 

“Morning Kyungsoo!” Jaekyung greeted me as she always does.

“Morning Jae.” I replied as I reached the counter, correct money already in hand to exchange for the coffee that had my name on it, which was already on the counter waiting for me.

“More friends I see.” She commented, taking the money from me.

“Yeah. This is the rest of my normal group. Joonmyun, Sehun, Baekhyun and Chanyeol.” I listed off their names as I pointed to each of them.

“Nice to meet you all, I’m Jaekyung.” She beamed that dazzling smile.

“Oh we know.” Baekhyun muttered next to me, making me gently elbow him in his stomach.

“I’m just going to take a seat while this lot orders.” I pointed at a larger table before making my way towards it with Sehun in tow.

“Not getting anything Sehun?” I asked.

“Nah, just don’t feel like it today.” He explained with a shrug.

“Suit yourself.” I shrugged back at him.

“So,” He started. “’I guess she’s pretty’” Sehun mocked my comment from yesterday before chuckling. “Dude.”

“Yeah, I know.” I sighed, knowing full well that she was way more than just that.

“How long have you been coming here?” He asked. “I mean you have a usual order and it’s just sitting there waiting for you when you get here, so what, you’re here every morning at the same time?”

“Probably a couple months at least.” I answered with a nod.

“How on earth did you keep it a secret from us for so long?” Sehun’s mouth was agape in shock.

“I don’t know.” I sighed. “I honestly don’t know.”

“It explains why your mood has been so good lately.” He shrugged making me chuckle.

“That’s exactly what Kai said.”

 

---

 

“Okay, you are going to ask her out, right?” Baekhyun asked as he took a seat at the table I’d saved us for lunch.

“I don’t know.” I shrugged in response.

“What do you mean you ‘don’t know’?” He exclaimed. “It’s a no brainer! You have to.”

“It’s just,” I started. “I don’t know; I feel like she’s out of my league.”

“You know she like you too, right?” Chanyeol chimed in.

“How on Earth would you know that Yeol? You’ve only met her once.” I replied.

“Dude, it’s not that hard to see.” He chuckled. “The entire time she was making our drinks this morning, she kept looking over her shoulder at you.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Really.” Baek said firmly. “Now, I know you don’t have another class for at least another hour and a half, so I think that you should go do it now.”

“Do what now?”

“Go ask her out.” Chanyeol answered. “Seriously, you’ve been admiring her for like two months now--”

“How did you know that?” I interrupted.

“Sehun and I talk, duh.” He rolled his eyes. “Anyway, two months is a long time. And if you don’t hurry up, someone else is going to get to her first and you’ll miss your chance.”

“If you don’t do it, they’re just going to keep bothering you to do it.” Joonmyun quietly added, not even looking up from his phone. Baekhyun and Chanyeol nodded enthusiastically in agreement.

“Oh my god, fine.” I groaned in defeat as I watched the grins forming on their faces before packing up my stuff and standing up. “I’ll see you guys later.”

 

---

 

“Good afternoon and Welcome to The Hideo—Oh! Kyungsoo, you’re back.” Jaekyung greeted me as I walked up to the counter.

“Yeah, hi.” I replied.

“No extra customers this time?” She joked when she realized that I was by myself.

“Nah, not this time. I think it was a mistake giving Chanyeol and Baekhyun coffee, they’ve been bouncing all day.” I replied with a chuckle, receiving a blinding smile in return.

“Fair enough. So, what can I do for you?” Jaekyung asked.

“Well, I was wondering if you’d like to have dinner with me sometime.” I said, scratching the back of my neck as I felt the heat from the blush that covered my face.

“I’d love to.” She beamed without leaving a second go by.

“Really?”

“Really really.” She nodded.

 

---

 

“Hey babe?” Jae asked me as we were cuddled up on the couch of our apartment, getting a hum from me in response.

“You remember that coffee place I used to work at, The Hideout? Did I ever tell you that I only actually worked there on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays?”

“What?” I said as I scrunched my face in thought as I turned to look at her. “I know I came in every day, including weekends to get my morning coffee from you.”

“You did, but I came in on my days off, just to make your coffee, just so I got to see you.” She smiled.

“And you know I kept coming back because I liked you right? You’re just so pretty and I totally thought you were out of my league.” I said as I gently her cheek.

“Took you long enough to ask me out though.” She commented.

“Hey! At least I did!” I replied.

“Yeah after 2 months and the boys pushing you to. If they didn’t push, who knows if we’d ever even dated at all.”

“It may have taken a bit longer, but trust me, we would have.”

 


There you go, guys!

My first one-shot. Not sure how I feel about it honestly, so I'm looking forward to your comments and feedback and all that stuff.

It is un-betaed, so I appologise for any mistakes made.

xxx


So, I was thinking of writing one-shots for the rest of the members, and maybe even members of other groups.

Keep in mind that I don't write that often so they may take some time to create, but they will be done.