Epilogue

The Roommate

Epilogue

Junmyeon and Yifan were home for summer break. Yifan would have to head back to the university for a few weeks for summer classes during July, but then he would be back again. Currently, Yifan and his family were at Junmyeon’s house for dinner.

“This is so nice. It’s been a while since we’ve all been together,” Yifan’s mother said fondly.

“Yes, that’s right,” Junmyeon’s father agreed. “I’m so glad you boys are getting along now.”

Junmyeon smiled and tried not to blush. Their parents didn’t currently know about their relationship. “Yeah.”

Yifan patted his knee under the table, and Junmyeon shot him a look.

“What?” Yifan looked wounded.

“You’re not helping,” Junmyeon whispered at him. “I feel like my face is about to go on fire.”

“Why can’t we just tell them?” Yifan muttered back.

“We’ve already talked about this,” Junmyeon whispered, and turned back to face their parents who had started chatting amongst themselves.

Junmyeon didn’t think that his parents would be opposed to the fact that he and Yifan were gay. He’d been heavily hinting that he was biual for the past two years, and while they’d been shocked at first, they seemed to be accepting it rather gracefully.

However, what he did think they would oppose would be their current living arrangement. Junmyeon’s parents were a bit conservative, and would probably disapprove of him living with Yifan while they were dating. Junmyeon supposed that it wouldn’t be the biggest deal in the world if he had to move out—but he was so used to living with Yifan that he didn’t really want things to change.

“So, Yifan.” Junmyeon’s mother turned to them again. “How’s this year of college been for you? Picked up any new boyfriends?”

Yifan laughed. “It’s been good.”

Junmyeon’s mother looked at him expectantly. “And?”

Yifan pretended to look innocent. “And what?”

Yifan’s mother cut in. “You won’t get a straight answer out of this one. He’ll tell us when he’s ready, won’t you dear?”

Yifan tried not to look too relieved. “Of course.”

Junmyeon’s mother hummed thoughtfully. “We want to thank you again for taking care of Junmyeon this year.”

“It was no trouble. Jun’s a great roommate,” Yifan said earnestly.

“That’s good to hear.” Junmyeon’s mother’s eyes twinkled merrily. “He isn’t too messy?”

Yifan winced, and Junmyeon elbowed him. “I’m not that bad. Right?”

Yifan patted Junmyeon’s thigh. “Of course not.”

“It is really great that you two have gotten so close,” Junmyeon’s dad spoke up. “Do you have a nickname for Yifan too, Junmyeon?”

“A nickname?” Junmyeon repeated. He’d almost up and said “honey”, but had thankfully remembered the circumstance.

“Yifan seems to like calling you Jun. What do you like calling him?”

Junmyeon hesitated. “I call him Kris sometimes,” he said at last. “But not much.”

“Ah.” Junmyeon’s father nodded understandingly. “Do you still miss Canada at lot, Yifan?”

“Only now and then,” Yifan said calmly. “It’s been a long time since we moved.”

Yifan’s father grunted in agreement and Junmyeon rushed to disperse the tension in the room. “We should eat,” Junmyeon said firmly, and got to his feet. “I’ll go get the food from the kitchen.”

“I’ll help.” Yifan started to get out of his chair, but Junmyeon put a hand on his shoulder.

“I’m fine,” Junmyeon smiled down at him. “I’ll be back in a minute.”

Yifan swallowed harshly and nodded. Junmyeon left the room, and for a moment, there was nothing but the sound of clinking dishes as Junmyeon started fiddling around in the kitchen.

Yifan’s mother leaned forward. “You two are dating, aren’t you?” Her eyes glinted mischievously in the light.

Yifan glanced over at Junmyeon’s parents, who both looked surprised at the suggestion. He should say no—he knew that that was what Junmyeon wanted to say—

“Yes.”

Right at that moment, Junmyeon came back to the table with a tray of chicken balanced in his hands.  “Yes what?”

Yifan’s mother leaned back in her chair with a satisfied smile. “Pay up,” she said, grinning at Junmyeon’s mother.

Junmyeon’s mother sighed good-naturedly and reached for her purse. “I can’t believe you were right.”

Junmyeon set the tray down and frowned. “Right about what?”

“Yifan just said you were dating.” Yifan’s father glanced at Junmyeon. “Unless it isn’t true?”

“Oh!” Junmyeon felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. “U-um, well it is…”

“We’re very happy for you,” Junmyeon’s mother said reassuringly. “We actually had a bet going for the past three years that you two would get together.”

“What?!” Junmyeon and Yifan stared at their parents in shock.

Yifan’s mother waved a wad of bills triumphantly. “I bet it would take you guys less than four years! Especially since Yifan had a crush on you in high school.”

“That’s true,” Junmyeon mumbled, his face on fire. He wasn’t sure how he felt about his parents betting on his love life—but he also wasn’t being scolded for being roommates with Yifan, so he supposed that he should cut his losses.

“Is that why you were so emphatic about Junmyeon moving into my place?” Yifan eyed his mother suspiciously.

“Well, not really. It was a really nice favor to the Kims, dear,” his mother said reprovingly. “Besides, I had other plans if this one didn’t go through.”

“Other plans?” Junmyeon repeated faintly.

To his surprise, both of Yifan’s parents traded guilty glances. Junmyeon fled back to the kitchen to get the rest of the food, and the dinner proceeded with awkward conversation.

At last, Yifan and his family left the house, and Junmyeon was left alone with his parents. He braced himself for the worst as he sat down across from them at the dining table.

His mother the TV and started flipping through the channels. His dad was thumbing through a news article on the phone. Junmyeon stared at them expectantly in silence for several minutes, until at last, his mom seemed to notice his stare.

“Junmyeon?” She twisted in her seat. “Is everything okay?”

“Yes!” Junmyeon said quickly.

Junmyeon’s mother nodded and turned back to the television. Junmyeon’s father glanced over at him. “Is there something you wanted to ask us about?”

Junmyeon hesitated. “…No?”

“Is that a question?” Junmyeon’s father turned back to his phone, and Junmyeon relaxed a little.

“No,” Junmyeon said firmly. “It isn’t. I’m going to bed.”

“Good night, dear.”

Junmyeon’s father grunted at him, and Junmyeon left the room. It looked like his parents were okay with him dating Yifan—and as long as they were happy together, that was all that mattered.

The (Real) End

a/n: So...here's the promised epilogue! It looks like the future will be okay for these two lovebirds :) Thanks for reading and enjoying this story!