Letter 02 - 11062016

Writing 'Us' Away

Dear Myungsoo,

I was right. The moment I entered the school premises, I was flocked by your friends wanting to know what had happened. If you were here right now, you'd be correcting me by saying that they're our friends, not only yours. In response, I'd probably roll my eyes at you. You and I both know that between the two of us, you're the one who has an open circle of friends while mine is closed. I remember how each time I told you this, you'd only reply me with, "Well maybe you should make your circle of friends an open one too."

I didn't say much to them. I knew if I did, I wouldn't be able to get through it wihout breaking into tears. So instead of giving myself a bad start to my day, I only answered them by saying, "He's gone."

I knew they had more to ask but I didn't give them the chance to and walked off. If you were here, you would've pointed out that what I did was rude but hey, you're not the one who has to deal with a heartbreak and the outcome of someone's disappearance so you don't get to comment. Moving on, the rest of the day wasn't as overwhelming but it wasn't a smooth ride either. Each time I entered a room or walked down the hallway, I could see looks of pity being sent my way. Every now and then, people would ask if I'm okay and all I did was nod my head. Why would I outright say how I truly felt? Even if I did, what could they possibly do to heal my wounded heart? 

I walked past the Bau House, the dog cafe, today. Remember how you took me there on our second date because you knew about my soft spot for dogs? I remember acting like a child in a candy store the moment I entered the cafe. I also remember you laughing at me, telling me you never knew that side of me existed.

≈♦♦≈

"What do you mean?" Serri asked, mildly distracted by the adorable creatures in sight.

"Well, you've always portrayed yourself as someone who is matured and sensible so I never knew this child-like behaviour existed in you," Myungsoo explained. Hearing the end of that sentence, Serri's gleeful expression was replaced with uncertainty. Realising that she was perceiving his words the wrong way, Myungsoo hurriedly added on,

"I'm not mocking you, if that's what you're thinking. I actually find this sudden shift in behaviour...cute."

The last few words came out as an utter but Serri was still able to catch them. She was sent into a daze as she tried to cool the heat rising to her cheeks but apparently her brain was turning dysfunctional too. To her relief, Myungsoo was too busy staring at his shoes in embarrassment to notice how flustered he had made her. After taking a moment to calm themselves down, they were reminded of their main purpose of visiting the dog cafe. Not wanting to dwell on the awkward situation any longer, they started playing with the puppies. In the midst of all the fun, Serri gasped, turning Myungsoo's attention towards her.

"A Siberian Husky!" She squealed, her eyes gleaming. Throwing out her hands, she engulfed the grown one in her arms. As though the bond between the two was tight, the Husky nestled into her embrace, satisfied with the affection it was receiving.

"I'm assuming you love Siberian Huskies?" Myungsoo asked, feigning calmness even though on the inside, he was dying from Serri's cuteness. 

"Oh you have no idea. Huskies are my favourite species. But this guy right here, this guy's my favourite," Serri beamed as she reverted her attention to the dog once more. As though it understood her words, the Husky perked up.

"That's right, you're my favourite," Serri repeated, ruffling the fluff on its skin.

"You just met him," Myungsoo laughed.

"What can I say? It's love at first sight."

≈♦♦≈

I don't think I thanked you enough for bringing me there and I don't think you realised how obvious your stares were. It was hard for me to not be flustered by your constant gaze but I'm glad Husk was there to keep me in check. Husk. Remember us coming up with that name for him despite him already having one? It's surprising how he responded to that name well, though only the two of us used it. I guess he felt that it was special. Remember how we'd visit him every week? It came to a point that even the cafe owner regarded us as family. Husk is different around others, the owner once told me. The bond he has with them isn't as close or genuine as the one he has with us. Despite that, we couldn't have Husk all to ourselves. I was often upset whenever our playtime with Husk came to an end and I recall you telling me that we could always adopt our own Husky. I then told you it wouldn't be the same and you only replied with a sigh followed by a nod because even you felt that way.

I haven't gone to to the cafe ever since you left though. I wouldn't be able to bear with the overwhelming memories we made there. I feel bad though. The cafe owner would often call me, asking when my next visit would be. Husk has been really quiet lately and he often whimpers. I want to see him, I really do. But I know within a glance, he'd be able to tell something's wrong. I won't be able to withstand the look on his face. I want to spare him the pain. He doesn't deserve it.

Do you miss him? I'm sure you do. You practically have a photo album in your phone specifically filled with his photos. I laugh each time I think of the times you would scroll through his images, showing them to me as though I've never personally seen Husk before. Oh how the days have gone by. I think that's enough of reminiscing for today. I'm still trying to adapt to the fact that I no longer have you by my side. It's tough, you know? It's scary too, how someone whom you thought would there forever could disappear without a trace. Okay, I'm starting to get all teary eyed again. I don't want to cry tonight. I've shed enough tears.

Goodnight my love.

Yours Truly and Always,

Serri