Letter 01 - 29052016

Writing 'Us' Away

Dear Myungsoo,

I was tidying up my room today and came across the bracelet you gave me the first time you asked me out on a date. It brought a smile to my face, remembering the contents of the letter that came along with that bracelet. Of course, the highlight of that day would be the look on your face when I appeared in sight with the bracelet around my wrist. You were so happy you turned into a clumsy mess. I'm sure you knew I was laughing but I hope you knew it wasn't because I was mocking you. I laughed because I found you cute - so very cute.

≈♦♦≈

Serri abruptly came to a stop upon seeing a pink envelope with her name written on it taped onto the door of her locker. She tilted her head slightly, confused by the envelope's sudden appearance. She was certain it hadn't been there earlier that morning. Serri scanned the hallway only to find that nobody else was there, which was rather odd since she felt a pair of eyes watching her. Shaking off the feeling, she took hold of the envelope. Opening it, she pulled out a little note that said:

I know it would be better for me to verbally ask you this but I can't seem to string a sentence in front of you so I've resorted to writing this note. Well here goes...

I may have a not so tiny crush on you and I was wondering if you'd like to go out on a date with me. I know how much you love amusement rides so I bought two tickets for this weekend to the newly opened amusement park downtown. You don't have to go with me if you don't want to, but it'd be nice if you did. 

There's a bracelet in this envelope. If your answer to the date is yes, I'd like you to wear it but if it's a no...you can do whatever you want with it.

- Myungsoo

A tiny smile tugged onto the corners of her lips. She couldn't help but to find his approach adorable. Even though he didn't directly approach her because of his shyness, she knew he was being sincere. Taking out the bracelet, her smile grew wider seeing how pretty it was. It wasn't all that fancy - just a black rubber cord with a snowflake charm attached to it - but she didn't mind. In fact, she loved its simplicity. 

Serri had always found Myungsoo attractive. Others would agree but their reasons differ from hers completely. She found him attractive because he was quirky. He was unpredictable, unreadable but his intentions were always good. He also resembled that of a cheerful puppy - playful and whimsical - but when put into serious situations, he'd turn into a different person with genuine thoughts though he rarely voiced them out. She enjoyed talking to him for their conversations would always be unrehearsed. He wasn't a generic guy. However, going on a date with him had never struck her mind. In fact, she never thought he'd actually see her as a woman so receiving such a confession from him surprised her. She fiddled with the necklace as thoughts ran through her mind. She already knew her answer to his question but that didn't stop her from being nervous of its outcome.

 

"Is she wearing it? Is she wearing it?" Myungsoo whispered as he hid behind his best friend, Sungyeol. 

"Why don't you see for yourself?" Sungyeol replied, giving the latter a light nudge. Peaking from behind the tall figure, Myungsoo's line of vision narrowed down to Serri and he almost thought he was dreaming when he saw the bracelet wrapped around her wrist.

"She's wearing it!" He exclaimed, jumping out of his cover and throwing his fists into the air, hitting one of them against a locker. He let out a cry of pain as a loud clang echoes through the hallway. This brought Serri's attention towards him as their gazes greeted one another and a smile was brought to their faces. Losing memory of the pain in his knuckles, he burst into a fit of giggles.

"Hi," he mouthed, rubbing the back of his neck to which she responded by mouthing 'hi' back. 

"Okay okay, I know you're happy and all but we have a class to get to so come along now," Sungyeol said, tugging on Myungsoo's arm. His eyes still on Serri, Myungsoo turned to follow Sungyeol only to hit against a trash bin. A loud clang echoed through the hallway once more and Sungyeol was left facepalming himself. Grabbing hold of Myungsoo's shoulders, Sungyeol guided him down the hallway. 

"Aren't you glad I exist?" Myungsoo uttered to which Myungsoo nodded, feeling sorry to the latter for having to deal with his clumsy behaviour whenever it came about. Myungsoo could hear Serri's distinct laughter and a part of him wondered if it she had witnessed everything.

"Yes she did," Sungyeol said, knowing fully well what Myungsoo was thinking. Hearing this, Myungsoo's cheeks pinked.

 

Myungsoo was extremely fidgety, and nervous for that matter, as he waited for Serri by his car. He had reached slightly earlier than planned but he was fine with waiting. In fact, he was relieved that he had extra time to gather himself. He didn't want to turn into a clumsy mess the way he did a couple days back. He wanted the date to go well but the pressure of making it a memorable one was starting to get to him. Sure, the two of them weren't complete strangers to one another since they're classmates for certain lessons but that didn't ease his worry at all.

Myungsoo was snapped out of his reverie when the door to Serri's house opened and out came the figure he had waited for. He tried his best to calm his palpitating heart but he was barely able to do so. Serri flashed him a smile and even though on the inside he was letting out a fangirl shriek, on the outside he looked collected as he returned the favour. His eyes wondered to the bracelet around her wrist, making his smile bigger than it already was. Serri asked if he had waited long to which he shook his head. Even if he had been waiting long, it wouldn't be much of a concern to him.

Getting into the car, the two of them settled down and before he started driving, Myungsoo made sure to say, "You look beautiful, Serri."

≈♦♦≈

I know you were worried about whether I had a great time and trust me, I did. I enjoyed every minute of it and I loved your company. Even though you're a shy guy, you sure knew how to plan a fun-filled date. I don't know if I've ever told you this but when you arrived in front of my house that day, I was already prepared to go but instead I remained in my room. Why? Because I was a nervous wreck. I saw you from my window and boy you looked stunning. It took me every bit of my effort to calm down. I was so worried something would go wrong but a bigger part of me told me to just make the best out of the day. Well, I did and that day became the start of something new; the start of us. Oh my, look at me tearing up. I really shouldn't be revisiting our memories but I can't help it. You've given me so much to remember and I wish you never stopped.

It's the first day of a new school year tomorrow and I'm already dreading it, thinking of the number of people coming up to me to ask about you. I don't know what I can tell them without having the urge to cry. I'm going to miss seeing you waiting for me by my locker. I'm going to miss you in general. I don't know how this school year would be without your presence but just like our first date, I'll make the best out of this school year. I wish I knew how you are doing where you are. I wish I could ask if I've ever crossed your mind. No, what I really wish is for us to get back together.

But that can't happen now can it? Guess I have to simply endure missing you everyday until I don't anymore.

Yours Truly and Always,

Serri