Picture in His Pocket

Picture in His Pocket - Luhan

A picture is worth a thousand words

Pattering of rain happily tapped against the window panes, thunder rumbled in the distance while darker clouds replaced the blue sky, blotting out the sunlight for the time being. Curled underneath a few layers of blankets a peacefully sleeping being slightly stirred. Waking slowly from sleep, he moved his body slightly moving into another comfortable position as his eyes focused and adjusted to the light pouring into his room.

Rolling over, he laid on his back for a moment or two, letting his senses soak up the rain and the fresh scent that seeped through the window and into his bedroom. Pushing himself upright, he leaned over his folded legs, a white tank top hugging his toned torso while two dog tags hung from around his neck, dangling in front of his chest. Feeling the perfectly warm sheets beckon him to lay back down and fall asleep, he soaked up the warmth for a moment or two before pulling away the sheets.

His bare feet touched the cool carpet below, moving over to an empty spot on the floor, he began his morning workout routine. Pushing his body to the limit, blood vessels pushed against his perfect skin revealing the straining underneath the skin. An hour or two later, he rose to his feet, all sweaty and warm, his hair stuck to his forehead before moving into the bathroom and turning on the shower.

Enjoying the relaxing shower, he wrapped a towel around his waist before choosing some comfortable pajama pants for the day and a black t shirt with the word ARMY written across the chest in camo. Drying off his hair and ruffling his hair with his fingers, he made his bed and opened the blinds covering the window before heading out to the main living area.

Standing at the edge of the hallway, his eyes scanned the area and sighed softly. Knowing that he should clean up his place, he went to the closet and pulled out his cleaning supplies, picking up the tossed blankets and books around the living room, the mound of dishes in the kitchen and the expired food on the counter.

Getting to work, he started in the kitchen, cleaning the dishes and looking through all of the food, he worked hard to get everything pristine and perfect before moving into the next room. Gathering the blankets, he folded each and every one before placing them in a chest underneath the window. Next, picking up the books on the couch and coffee table, he moved over to the built in shelves and began to return the books back to their proper places on the shelves.

With a few books remaining, his eyes wondered over the lettering on the bindings, alphabetizing his library by author then by title, he moved over to the miscellaneous section of his book collection. His eyes scanning the bindings of the books, he carefully placed one of the photo albums he had next to some past yearbooks of schooling he had completed.

Sliding the photo albums into place, he moved back over to the couch and pulled a book out that fell underneath the coffee table. Reading the writing across the cover, it was another yearbook.

Curiously opening the book, thumbing through the pages, all of the memories flooded him once again. The friends he had gone off to war with, the friends he hung out with, the ones that had written in the blank pages leaving memories and feelings with their writings and signing their names at the end.

Turning the pages slower and slower, his eyes moved over the pictures lining the pages, all of the faces that he saw from time and time and other faces that he wouldn’t ever see again. Moving to the couch, he eased himself back into the cushions of the couch. Folding one leg over the other, he turned each page with care, looking over the lined profile shots of all of the students.

Moving to the clubs and events, he found himself in the Military trailing photo, his heart froze seeing all of the familiar, happy faces. Memories slowly clouded his vision as the once happy eager boys turned into men with fear never leaving their eyes, their memories overlaid with death and pain and their hearing filled with shots and screams from their own brothers.

Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath counting only three out of the fifty that made it back home. Looking away from the book, he turned the page before composing himself and returning his eyes to the basketball and soccer teams on the next page.

Thoughts of his friends began to form like what they were doing now, what their life looked like now and if they are doing what they love. Turning over a few more pages, one of the pages was propped up by something on the other side. Flipping over to the obstruction, a picture pressed between the pages, slid into the binding of the yearbook.

Pulling the picture out of the binding, he lifted it up closer so that he could see. His brown eyes wondered over the woman in the picture, a vague memory tried to come to light as he tilted his head admiring her smile, her free flowing hair, her bright eyes with her comfortable sweater wrapped around her form.

Running his fingers over the picture, he flipped it over to the back feeling something a little off. Beautiful letters were printed at a slant across the back of the picture.

Shayne Ward - All My Life xoxo

Digging around in his memories, he couldn’t remember who this woman was other than they were friends at one point. Looking through the letters and small notes of people that signed his yearbook, he couldn’t find one that matched with her angelic face.

Turning through the whole registry of faces, dozens of pages later and hours of searching through faces to find the name to match the beauty on the small pocket sized photo. Flipping on a lamp next to him, he searched a few more hours before he found you.

Reading your name to himself, he smiled as he leaned back, the memories in his head became a little clearer as he stood up from his place and moved into his bedroom. Leaning the picture of you against his lamp, he sat on the edge of the bed admiring you, wondering where you are and what you were doing.

Trying to look you up through social media was hopeless for he couldn’t find you no matter how hard he tried. Laying on his bed, he raked his fingers through his hair and wondered what to do next.

Typing in the words that you wrote on the back of your picture, he clicked on the audio track that pulled up and closed his eyes as he turned up the volume of the song and listened to it.

I will never find another lover
Sweeter than you
Sweeter than you
And I will never find another lover
More precious than you
More precious than you

Girl you are
Close to me you’re like my mother
Close to me you’re like my father
Close to me you’re like my sister
Close to me you’re like my brother
You are the only one,
You’re my everything
And for you this song I sing

All my life
I prayed for someone like you
And I thank God that I
That I finally found you

All my life
I prayed for someone like you
And I hope that you
Feel the same way too
Yes, I pray that you do love me too

I said, you’re all that I’m thinking of
Baby
Said I promise to never
Fall in love with a stranger
You’re all I’m thinking of
I praise the Lord above
For sending me your love
I cherish every hug
I really love you

You’re all that I ever know
When you smile on my face
All I see is a glow
You turn my life around
You picked me up when I was down

You’re all that I ever know
When you smile my face glows
You picked me up when I was down

You’re all that I ever know
When you smile my face glows
You picked me up when I was down

And I hope that you
Feel the same way too
Yes I pray that you
Do love me too

All my life
I prayed for someone like you
And I thank God that I
That I finally found you

All my life
I prayed for someone like you
Yes, I pray that you do love me too

The song touched a part of his memory as he stood up from the bed, letting the song loop as he went into his closet. Lifting a box down from the top shelf in his closet, he rested it on the floor as he rummaged through the memories of high school all stashed away in that large cardboard box.

Finding a bunch of letters held together with a rubber band, he unbound the letters and scattered them over his bed. Finding your name at the bottom of each one, he read over them all, from the first one you sent confessing your crush on him to the one where you wished him a safe military service, promising that you would write to him and if he needed anything, that you would be here for him no matter how long it took.

Finding the writing slightly familiar to look at, he tapped his lips slightly before moving off of his bed and over to his camo backpack he carried around through his two tours of service. Pulling out another bundled package of letters, he unbound it and moved over to the bed as he picked up the first letter in the military service to the last letter from high school. Matching their writings together, his eyes widened as he scanned over the text.

The same beautiful writing in each, the sincerity spilling from the words and the kind heart that you were more than willing to give. Your positive outlook kept him going through the thick and thin in the military. Reaching the end of the letter, he noticed that you signed the card differently than you had when you bid him goodbye in high school.

Instead of your name, you wrote Shotgun Rider on the military ones. A smile pulled on his lips as everything connected, the girl that always claimed the shotgun, or the passenger spot, in the car was the same girl that had helped him get through some of the most desperate and dark times in his life.

Reading through all of the letters that you wrote, a weathered picture fell from the last letter that you had sent on his military service. This picture tattered and torn, the edges frayed and bent while the girl in the picture faded with the sun and dirt from war. The smile still on your lips as he compared the picture in his pocket to the one he found in the yearbook today.

Finding them identical, he smiled brightly as he saw your number along the bottom of the letter in the P.S. line. Taking a deep breath, he pulled his phone over and typed in your number, triple checking to make sure that it was the right number.

Standing to his feet, he paced a little, taking in deep breaths before he looked down at the green phone button, waiting to be pushed so it could dial the number.

Pressing that little button, he lifted the phone to his ear and heard the ringtone before someone picked up the other end.

“Hello?” A sweet voice cooed on the other side.

“Is this the number of _______ ________?” Luhan questioned with a shaking voice.

“This is she” You answered, wondering who could be calling you

“This is Sergent Luhan” He introduced simply, not knowing if you would remember.

“Luhan, how have you been?” You questioned, the excitement in your voice showing

“I have been doing well, how about yourself?” Luhan smiled, hearing the inflection in your voice change once he introduced himself.

“I have been great as well” You smiled, twirling stands of your hair around your fingers.

“Hey… do you think maybe I could take you out to lunch? Catch up a little bit?” Luhan offered as the offer took you a little bit of a surprise.

“I would like that a lot!” You happily smiled as the two of you began to set up a time that would work for the two of you.

The day that you both agreed to meet up approached and fell upon you. Dressing up in a cute collared shirt and jeans, a knock came from the front of your door. Taking in a deep breath, you unlocked the door and pulled it open to see Luhan there, flowers in hand and a nervous smile curled on his lips.

“What’s this for?” You questioned brightly, happily surprised by the flowers

“Thank you for the years of you service” He bowed politely, handing the flowers over to you

“Service?” You tilted your head curiously to one side as you took the flowers from him.

“Five hundred and forty eight letters of service” Luhan tipped you off as you blushed.

“Really? There was that many?” Your voice tapered off, embarrassed that you sent him that many. With only receiving one or two in return.

“There were, and I read all of them multiple times” Luhan confessed, “Now it is my turn to make up for the loss of replies.”

Offering his arm to you, you smiled and thought a moment looking into his beautiful brown eyes before slipping your arm through his. Unsure of where this was heading, you couldn’t help but feel your heart beat faster with happiness, one of your dreams coming true with him being by your side. Even if it was only just for tonight.