Panic

Panic

Laura had been staying in the dorm for almost a month. At first, she had been incredibly awkward around the boys. Her guilt from invading their space keeping her to her room most of the time when they were actually home. It had taken a lot of persuasion on Jungkook's part to get her out of her room when they were home. If she were to be honest, Jin’s cooking may also have been a contributing factor to her finally venturing out her room.

 

She made sure to keep the dorm spick and span, which was no easy feat with seven boys living under one roof. Jin couldn’t thank her enough, as he was the one who was usually left to do most of the cleaning. She took extra care to make sure that she never left at the same time as the boys, because their manager was particularly nervous about a scandal happening.

 

A month flew by before any of them realised it. Jungkook and Laura had become much closer, and Jungkook had noticed a massive difference in her since she had moved away from Mark. She had become much more confident and happy; her health had also improved a lot. She slept better and ate better as well. He often felt guilty that he had let her stay there for so long. He often thought back over all the times Mark had acted like a complete jerk to her. He tried not to think about it often as those thoughts made his blood boil. She still kept in contact with her sister and she often visited to see her little niece, but she always made sure that Mark wasn’t there when she went.

 

She wandered through the apartment, doing a last check for laundry. The boys had a bad habit of leaving random articles of clothing in the weirdest place. She still couldn’t forget finding one of Taehyung's socks in the fruit bowl. He claimed he had been hungry when he came home and must have swapped the sock for an apple. She chuckled at the memory as she picked up a discarded t-shirt and headed to the laundry room. She knew it was kinda late to be doing laundry but she hadn’t been able to sleep.

 

She checked the time with a frown, it was already after one in the morning. She knew better than to wait up for Jungkook, they had all been coming home at ridiculous times in the morning, or sometimes not at all. He had messaged her earlier in the evening to say that they would be home late and that she shouldn’t wait up. She sighed as she pressed the buttons to start the machine and wandered into the room she was now sharing with Jungkook.

 

Namjoon had previously been in a room to himself but he had offered to share to allow Laura and Jungkook a room for themselves. Jin had immediately protested, saying that Laura should have a room to herself since she was a girl. To which Jungkook had quoted his line from “war of hormone” “I’m eighteen, I know what I need to know. I know that girls are the best things in the world.”  Much to Jin’s horror, and the amusement of the other members.

 

She curled up in bed, snuggling against Jungkook's pillow, inhaling the scent of his cologne that stuck to it. She checked her phone one last time before drifting off to sleep.

 

Jungkook checked the time on his phone as they pulled up outside of the dorm. It was already after three in the morning. He knew that Laura would most likely already be in bed. The boys were careful not to make too much noise as they entered the dorm, quietly arguing over who got to shower first. Jungkook headed straight for his room and smiled at his sleeping girlfriend. She was sprawled over his side of bed, something she often did when he wasn’t there to sleep with her. He sat on the edge of the bed and gently ran his fingers through her hair.

 

He stayed that way until Namjoon gently knocked on the door, telling him that it was his turn to shower. He gave her one last look, pressing a kiss to her forehead before heading to the bathroom. He returned after showering, careful not to wake her up as he slipped into bed behind her. He let out a contended sigh as she turned around in his arms, snuggling in against him. He smiled as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her against his chest. “Love you.” He whispered into the dark room before he fell asleep.

 

 

Jungkook was startled awake some time later to the sound of a loud thump and panicked breathing. “Laura?” he called sleepily, noticing his girlfriend’s absence. He heard a panicked whimper from the other side of the bed and he was instantly awake. He scrambled over to the other side of the bed and saw Laura crouched on the ground, her body shaking as she desperately tried to pull air into her lungs. “Laura!” he yelled as he dropped off the bed, landing beside her. “What’s wrong? What happening?” he asked helplessly as he watched her struggle to breathe, tears streaming down her face.

 

“What do I do? How can I help?” he asked, feeling useless. She reached out, grabbing his hand in a vicelike grip. “Hyung! Hyung!” he screamed, hoping that at least one of the other members would either still be awake or would hear his cry for help. Jin threw the door open a minute later. “What’s happening?” Jin asked as he rushed to their side. “I don’t know. I woke up and found her like this. Hyung, help her!” he begged.

 

“Laura, are you having a panic attack?” Jin asked as Jungkook pulled her hair away from her face. She nodded rapidly. Jungkook swore quietly, “Hyung what do we do?” he asked, his hand rubbing circles into her back hoping to soothe her, his other hand still in her tight grasp. Jin crouched down to meet her eye level. “Laura, I know it’s hard but you need to take deep breaths ok? Breathe in… breathe out.” He over exaggerated his own breathing, trying to get her to follow his rhythm. After several tense minutes, she had regained control over her breathing. She slumped against Jungkook, feeling exhausted. Jungkook held her against his chest, pushing her sweaty hair away from her face as he kissed the top of her head.

 

“Thank you, Jin.” She rasped out. “I’ll get you some water.” He said as he quickly left the room. “I’m so sorry Jungkook.” She said, her voice hoarse. He held her tighter, “Don’t apologise.” He whispered back. Jin appeared at the doorway and handed her a glass of water. “You both ok?” he asked. They nodded and he gave them a smile. “I’m right next door if you need me.” He said as he patted Jungkook's shoulder, the younger man’s expression showing his gratitude.

 

Jungkook helped her back into bed, helping her to drink the glass of water. He pulled her against his chest, his hand propping his head up as he looked down at her. “What set it off?” he asked quietly, his voice laced with worry. “I had a nightmare.” She said softly. “I dreamt that meeting you had all been a big dream and that I was back at Mark’s with no way out.” Jungkook sighed quietly and wrapped both arms around her.

 

“It was just a nightmare. I’ll always be here for you.” He promised. She looked up at him, her eyes shiny with unshed tears. “I love you, Jungkook. I’m so sorry for causing you all this hassle.” She said, her voice beginning to waver. He leant down and pressed a kiss to her lips to stop her train of thought. He pulled away from her and smiled at her. “I’ve never thought of you as a hassle. I love you, Laura. And I always will.” She snuggled against his chest. “Try and get some sleep.”

 

“Will you be here when I wake up?” she asked hopefully, knowing that he often had early morning practice. He nodded, “Yeah, I’ll be here.” He promised, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead as she fell into a peaceful sleep.