two

pretending

"really? kim mingyu? the same one i'm thinking about?" yeri asked. 

 
"um i'm not sure?"
 
"the one that's really tall? he's always with that guy, wonwoo? the one that sneezes all the time?"
 
"uh, yeah," my face was on fire. 
 
yeri laughed loudly, "that's gross, minah. but he's cute i guess. i'm so happy for you oh my god!" 
 
i awkwardly laughed as she went on. 
 
"oh and i can introduce him to jungkook! aren't they in the same class? wouldn't that be cool if they becamefriends? then me and you can hang out, and him and mingyu can, too!" yeri was way too excited about this. 
 
to be honest, i was freaking out. i wanted nothing more than just to go home and never come back. i was embarrassed and ashamed of myself. how am i going to get out of this one? should i tell mingyu? how would he even react to something like this? how would anyone react to something like this? we're not even that close, today was probably the most we've ever talked in a day. he's going to think i'm obsessed with him or something, i told my friend i was dating him. 
 
i sat the rest of the class until the final bell very upset, forcing a reply to yeri every one in awhile to make her stop asking questions. 
 
-
 
"how was your day?" my mom asked as i flopped down on the couch face first. 
 
"horrible," i said, my face muffled by the cushions. 
 
"do you want to talk about it?" she asked. 
 
"not really," i sighed. 
 
"do you have any homework?"
 
"yeah, i guess i'll go start on it," i said, standing up. i grabbed my booksack and made my way down the hall. i quietly opened the door and shut it behind me before throwing my bag down and sitting at my desk. i put my head down, reflecting on all what i had done today. 
 
this morning was good. i made it through math without getting called on, i remembered to do that worksheet that was for homework for history. lunch was okay, too. i managed to escape yerim and jungkook. i met mingyu in the library. we walked to class together and he called me cute. things took a turn for the worse last period, though.
 
really, why am i like this? i could've just sat through yeri's lecture like any other day, but no, today i had to open my mouth. of all the things i could have said, of all the names, i said mingyu. i couldn't have just made up a name? i couldn't have said he went to another school? maybe he lived in another country? i'll never be able to look him in the face ever again. i have to see him, we take classes together. yerim sees him too, and i'm sure she's told jungkook by now. i'm almost positive she's going to ask mingyu about it. she'll probably want him to sit with us. oh my god he'll be so confused, i'm going to have to explain everything, and he'll never want to talk to me ever again. 
 
this is wonderful. 
 
-
 
"good morning minah!" yerim said brightly. 
 
"good morning yeri, good morning jungkook," i said quietly. 
 
"so where's mingyu?" yerim asked, looking around. 
 
"oh, uh, about that," i trailed off, quickly trying to decide whether or not to tell her so this can be over with and i won't have to embarrass myself in front of mingyu, "yeah, um, he's not here yet?" it came out more like a question. i hate myself, i guess i'm going through with this. 
 
"oh, that's too bad! i really want to meet him!"
 
"haha, okay," i said. trying to get away, i looked at my phone like i got a text, "oh, that's him! haha guess he's here!"
 
"see you later, then!" she said, grabbing jungkook's hand. 
 
"see you later."
 
okay. now to find mingyu and try to explain this. 
 
-
 
"oh hey minah! good morning!"
 
damn why is he so nice??? how am i supposed to tell him this??
 
"hey mingyu..." i trailed off. 
 
"is something wrong?" he asked, looking down at me. 
 
wow he looks nice today how am i going to go about doing this 
 
"um... so wanna hear something funny?" i asked awkwardly. 
 
he smiled and nodded, "sure."
 
"so, uh, yesterday, um i kinda toldmyfriendyouweremyboyfriend," i say quickly, hoping he didn't understand anything. 
 
"huh?" he said, obviously confused. 
 
i picked my head up and saw yerim waving widely from a distance. she's gonna want to talk oh no what do i do-
 
she quickly made her way over to where we were standing. 
 
"hey minah! and mingyu!" yerim said brightly. 
 
"h-hey yeri," i stuttered. 
 
"so mingyu, since when have you been da-"
 
"yeri!" i said loudly, cutting her off, "a second, please? excuse me mingyu, sorry."
 
i pulled her over and tried to come up with a quick lie. 
 
"um, mingyu's pretty shy, please don't ask him questions, it'll make him uncomfortable."
 
"oh, i'm so sorry! i had no idea!" yerim exclaimed. 
 
i looked over her shoulder and saw mingyu looking at the ground, kicking around the dirt with his shoes. he looked up suddenly, our eyes making contact. i quickly looked away, blushing madly. i grabbed yerim's arm and guided our way back to mingyu. 
 
"mingyu, you should come sit by us at lunch! you know jungkook, right? he'll be there!" yerim said. 
 
"uh," mingyu said before looking at me, "okay."
 
"great! i have to go guys, see you at lunch!" yerim waved before she walked off in the direction she came from. 
 
"so what was it that you were trying to tell me?" mingyu asked. 
 
"oh, nothing!" i panicked. "see you later!" i said before almost running away. 
 
 
 
//
 
yikes this was short