one

pretending

when will this end, my mind screamed. i forced a light chuckle and faked a smile. they were at it again. 

 
"but for real, we all have boyfriends. don't you think it's time, minah?"
 
ever since yerim, my best friend, started dating her boyfriend two months ago, she's been bringing him over to our usual lunch spot. all she does the entire time is brag and get on me for not dating. i keep telling her i'm not interested, but she keeps insisting that i get a boyfriend. 
 
"you've never had one before, right? they're not that bad, they're really sweet and fun! you should really start dating, minah!"
 
"i don't know, yeri," i said quietly, lightly shrugging my shoulders. 
 
"you totally should!" yerim smiled brightly, "you wouldn't be alone all the time while you're with us, and we can even go on double dates! how fun would that be?"
 
"i'm sure it'd be fun," i gave a weak laugh, quickly trying to find an excuse. "um, sorry guys, i have to go, i have a big test next hour, i want to review really quick."
 
"no problem! good luck!"
 
i nodded and slowly walked out of sight, before picking up my pace. i walked straight to the library. looking up at the clock on the wall, i sighed. i still had over half of the break left. i didn't actually have a test next hour, so i didn't have anything to do but just sit here. 
 
i pulled a chair out at one of the empty tables and sat down. may as well take a nap, i thought to myself as i put my head down. 
 
"minah?"
 
my head shot up, looking for who called my name. my eyes stopped on the librarian who was looking at me. 
 
"yes?"
 
"can you come and put these back for me? they're all in order, you just need to put them back on the shelf," she said motioning to a stack of books. 
 
i nodded, standing up slowly. no on else was in here, so i could take my time. 
 
grabbing the books, i began looking at the spines of them. i looked at the labels of the shelves, and began to put them back. 
 
"need help?"
 
jumping slightly, i turned around. 
 
"oh my god, you scared me!" i laughed. it was kim mingyu, a boy in a year above me. 
 
"sorry about that," he laughed. "but really, do you need help? i know some of those go high up," he said, pointing at the books i was still holding. 
 
"oh, yeah, here," i said, passing them to him, "thanks."
 
taking the books from my hands, he smiled down at me. oh god-
 
we slowly began putting the books back on the shelves, talking quietly until the bell rang. 
 
"see you in class!" mingyu smiled at me again. 
 
blushing, i quietly told him bye. 
 
-
 
standing up, i quietly made my way towards the teachers desk to turn in my work. i set the paper down, then quickly made my way back to my desk. looking around, i realized i was one of the first ones done, so i had about 45 minutes of free time. i sat down and propped my chin up with my hand. 
 
my face began to turn red as i recalled what happened earlier at lunch. oh my god-
 
i wouldn't exactly say that i liked mingyu, but he was really nice and cute. we've been in the same band class since middle school, and while i've taken art, he's had dance, so we often ended up walking to class together. he's really fun and easy to talk to. 
 
-
 
"hey minah!" i heard someone call. 
 
turning my head, i saw mingyu running down the hall to catch up with me. 
 
"oh, hey."
 
"walk with me?" he asked. 
 
"sure!" i smiled up at him, seeing that he was already smiling at me. i turned my head quickly, hoping that he didn't see my red face. 
 
we arrived at our next class, band. mingyu opened the door for me, and i shyly thanked him. 
 
the second bell rang, signaling the class to take their seats and get ready for class. i followed mingyu over to the instrument room. 
 
i sighed loudly when i saw that someone from an earlier class put my instrument high up to where i can't reach it. 
 
"need help?" a voice asked me for the second time that day. 
 
"yes, please," i awkwardly laughed. "this is embarrassing, two times in a day."
 
mingyu chuckled, reaching for my instrument, "it's okay, it's cute."
 
yikes gotta go gotta go- "haha thanks for getting it down! i have to go- gotta go to my section."
 
-
 
walking in to my last class, my face was still on fire. mingyu called me cute???
 
"minah! you'll never guess what happened last- why is your face so red?" yeri cut herself off, seeing how red my face was. 
 
"oh nothing, just you know," i awkwardly say, sitting down next to her. 
 
"did something happen?"
 
i shook my head.
 
"something did happen, huh? was it a boy?" she nudged my shoulder.
 
i felt my face get even hotter, shaking my head faster. 
 
"oh my god, it was a boy! what happened?" yeri was ecstatic. 
 
"nothing."
 
"tell me!"
 
"it was nothing! nothing happened, yerim. please," i felt like i was going to explode i was so hot. 
 
"okay, i'll find out though! you see minah, if you had a boyfriend, you'd feel like this all the time! they make you feel really happy and-"
 
"actually," i cleared my throat, cutting her off. "i do have a boyfriend."
 
what. 
 
"what?"
 
"i- i um- i have a boyfriend."
 
"why didn't you tell me?! this is great! we can finally go on double dates and we can- wait who is it?" yeri asked. 
 
"who's who?" i asked, trying to play dumb. 
 
"your boyfriend!" yeri lightly slapped my arm.
 
"oh, you probably don't know him."
 
"minah, i know a lot of people. cmon just tell me."
 
"uh, he's older than us," i said slowly. 
 
"who?"
 
"kim mingyu."
 
why am i like this oh my god why did i say that 
 
 
 
//
 
i'm out of school finally !!!!!!! i have time to write omg i'm so excited !!!