Ephemeral

Ephemeral

I.

"My name is Kim Jaejoong,"

Kim Jaejoong was the first one to introduced himself, eyes beaming at him. He almost grinned too, if it wasn't for the looks and murmurs being thrown to his way.

I'm Jung Yunho.

He wanted to say, but someone pulled Jaejoong away even before he opened his mouth. The boy who pulled Jaejoong whispered in a loud voice, "Don't come near that boy, his father's a murderer."

Jaejoong gave him a smile, then run away. He sadly smiled, even after two years since his father died, he's still tied with the sin he had committed. He shrugged it off, then shifted his feet, leaving.

II.

"I'm sorry for what happened yesterday, I'm just shocked, but when I think about it, there's nothing to worry about, right? I know you're not a bad person,"

Jaejoong was the first one to talk to him the next day. He was sitting on a pavement then, away from the majority of students who would glare at him. When he turned to look at Jaejoong, he find him smiling. Jaejoong's smile was like the sun. Radiant, warm, shining. He didn't said anything, ignoring him as took a bite on his lunch that day.

III.

"You should smile often, you're scaring people away. Come to think of it, I haven't seen you smile before,"

They were in their last year in middle school when Jaejoong said that, eyes beaming, smile shining.

I don't know how to smile. He wanted to say, but even without voicing it, Jaejoong understood.

Then, Jaejoong moved closer to him, hands landing on the sides of his mouth, forming it like a smile. "There, keep it like that. See? You're even more handsome when you're smiling," Jaejoong said, grinning at him.

After few moments of hesitations, he nodded, keeping the smile he plastered on him.

IV.

Kim Jaejoong was the first one to confess to him.

Just before their graduation, Jaejoong asked him to meet him in the rooftop. Jaejoong was unsurely smiling then. Hands on his back, eyes downward. "I like you, Jung Yunho," he said, voice shaking. It's the first time he ever saw him like that. So unsure yet full of determination.

Around them, the sun was beginning to set. Birds chirping, trees hushing. Jaejoong looked at him, waiting. Waiting. He waited for too long. But he kept his mouth shut, heart beating too fast he lost the ability to speak.

V.

"I like you, Jung Yunho,"

Jaejoong would repeat it every single day. In the cafeteria, he would whisper it in his ears without hesitation. In their locker, he would beam at him before his mouth formed to say those words. And he knew, he meant it.

One day, just after their class ended, once they reached their respective lockers, Jaejoong said it again.

"I like you, Jung Yunho."

That time, Jaejoong didn't need to wait long. He closed Jaejoong's locker, and he gave him confused look. But before his confusion formed into words, he pulled Jaejoong by his tie, pressing his lips unto his. He heard Jaejoong gasped, then, slowly giggled. Jaejoong's lips were soft, sweet, intoxicating, and hot, leaving fire on his mouth.

"I like you too, Kim Jaejoong," he said, pulling him into a hug. Ignoring the murmurs and disgusted looks and raised eyebrows directed in their way.

VI.

"Next time, you should fight back." Jaejoong softly said as he wiped the blood on his forehead with a gentle touch. "They will pick up on you if you don't,"

"Then what? They'll only think I'm like my father," he said, wincing in pain as Jaejoong cleaned his cuts with alcohol.

"You're not your father, Ho. I know that. And they shouldn't blame you for whatever your father did. You're not the same, and they should know that." Jaejoong said with a click of his tongue. When he winced again, Jaejoong apologized. He placed a bandage on his head, after that, he asked. "Does it hurt?"

"No," he said, looking away. Jaejoong grinned, kissing his head. "Does it hurt?" Jaejoong asked again.

"Yes," he lied, smiling as Jaejoong kissed it again.

VII.

Year 20xx. South Korea was seized by yet another attack of terrorists. Bombings. Killings. Hostages. Hijackings.

"Are you sure about this?" Jaejoong asked when he laid his plans about the war.

"Yes," he said with conviction. "Our country is in great need of soldiers, and I want to enlist. You'll support me, right?"

Jaejoong's mouth formed into thin line. Then, he unsurely nodded. "I will, I'll always support you. Just .. take care, okay? And please, come back safe." Jaejoong said, voice shaking but face showing smiles.

"I'll come back," he said, and Jaejoong tiptoed and kissed him, leaving fire on it again.

The kiss deepened, and he closed the door of his room, laying Jaejoong on his head. It's noon, but they spent the summer heat drenched in sweat, moans echoing throughout his room, making love to each other.

Night came, their clock ticking. It's time to leave. Before he could slipped outside his room, Jaejoong called his name. He saw him as he rummaged something from his bag. A ring. He pulled a ring from it. The symbol of infinity.

"After this war, after your service, marry me, okay?" Jaejoong asked, smiling sheepishly at him. Eyes shining with silver tears.

He replied with a kiss, and he find himself falling

falling

falling

falling in the deepest of Jaejoong's eyes.

He wore the ring with a smile, kissed him one last time with a promise he'll come back.

VIII.

He stood silently on top of the hill, overlooking the place he once called home. He promised to come back. But he didn't, because there's no one there to say, "Welcome home,"

There's no one there with a name of Jaejoong. He sadly smiled, as he did, he looked down at his hands, smiling at the ring Jaejoong gave. He kissed it, conjuring the image of the boy he'd loved so much before the terrorists bombed their village, leaving a million of ashes.

 

--